Spins

Tony Olson

Technical Lead

Lead (Current Employee)
    Schaumburg, IL

ProsGreat people and culture. Using cutting edge technologies. Great outlook.

ConsThe company is undergoing lot of restructuring. New leadership position are getting filled for good future.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

The experience you have at SPINS is what you make of it.

ProsFlexibility in your work schedule. Depending on the department you work in, there is not too much micromanaging. You will meet (and become friends) with some talented and educated individuals.

It seems there have been several reviews that speak of what a horrible company SPINS is as well as how unfair they are to their employees. Am I working at a different company? I've been at SPINS for over 5 years and have not had the same experience as those reviews. I think most of those reviews are coming from former employees that unfortunately left with a bad taste in their mouth. I understand this site is to express your feelings but if you choose to do so, why not provide some productive criticism. I've had my bad experiences in the past however with my direct new management they were able to see where the problems were and together we have been able to diminish such issues. Is my current position perfect? Of course not. Like everything, we need to continue working hard to make things better. Hence the reason there's so much work going into our new Organizational Fulfillment Process, new hires and other projects.

ConsThe company is growing rapidly which is an issue that causes a lot of tension. We need to have educated, experienced individuals who can help guide the CEO in his decisions on the growth of the company. The people writing bad reviews could be those employees who are getting slammed with new projects after new projects. Most of the employees take pride in the work they do, so when a project is completed but not 100% because of unrealistic deadlines, those employees feel like all the hard work they did is being ignored.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have some advice to managers and potential interested individuals reading these reviews.

Management: Read the reviews on this site. Disregard the gossip and the destructive comments, however do consider what is making these individuals write such hatred. Take into consideration those points that seemed to be repetitive (Too many VP's, Management, Directors. Do something with the surveys you ask your employees to fill out. Make it visible that you are hearing your employees out).

Interested individuals wanting to work at SPINS: As mentioned previously, I've been working for SPINS for over 5 years and have yet to sell my soul for anything. I work very hard and sometimes get overwhelmed, but if I didn't what would that say about my position in the company? Will you have to work long hours sometimes? Yes of course. Will you be able to leave early at times? Possibly. Don't let the reviews push you away, instead take the challenge and see what we're really all about. Yes we're growing and there's some pains, but what growing company doesn't go through this. Yes we've had a high turn over, but the reviews have also failed to mention that some of the people that left the company did not necessarily contributed positively to our growth. As the title of this review states, "The experience you have at SPINS is what you make of it."

SPINNING

ProsI really appreciate the casual dress code and the benefits.

ConsThere is much need for open and honest communication. There are too many Managers, Directors, VP, SVP in place and still no department direction, goals or processes in place. It does not seem like Management really cares about their employees; how they feel, what they think, etc. Even when asked, it does not seem the employees concerns are address. Employees have no motivation and Management does nothing to boost morale on their teams. There is much fear for jobs and people are looking for jobs because of this.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

What a shame... definitely SPINNING around...

ProsIf you are passionate about Natural & Organic, working here is a great way to learn the business and be part of the movement.
    We sometimes get to live "vibrantly", hanging with the CEO who is not afraid to sponsor drinks and party like a rock star.
    Nice new offices in Schaumburg with a number of perks like a game-room, a gym, a fully equipped shower and a stocked up pantry/fridge.
    In most cases, you don't have to work long hours as most people are gone by 4pm.
    Even though everyone is a bit depressed, outside of the Leadership team, people are very nice.
    You sometimes get to choose where you want to work from: downtown or Schaumburg which is convenient

ConsSome serious ethical questions are being raised. The CEO can't help himself and his leadership team is covering up for him...
    The CEO is trying to run the company the same way he did when there were only 10 people.
    There are currently around 100 employees but this number is decreasing by the minute as people are leaving.
    The people quitting are usually not very happy given the way they were treated and therefore there is no knowledge-transfer leaving those behind with unsurmountable tasks to deliver with little to no resources under unreasonable deadlines and not type of support.
    If you get promoted too fast and it seems too good to be true, it probably is. You WILL end up with a new boss with a bigger title and less experience than you within 30-90 days.
    Speaking up or asking questions WILL get you in trouble. The CEO WILL come after you and most likely demote you which you will find out about in an email to the whole team.
    Those that are happy and still motivated to get work done have only been at the company for a few weeks or are living under a rock being held down by the CEO who keeps feeding them questionable information.
    Never mind if you were smart enough to negotiate special terms at the time of your employment (PTO, benefits, compensation, responsibilities, etc...) as the CEO does not believe in any type of contract and always thinks he can get away with his reckless behavior.

You know it is bad when employee resumes are going around (sometimes to their own managers) and we continue to help each other to find another job and get out of this depressing and suffocating environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company while you still can. This is just the beginning of the company's demise and your efforts to cover it up are only making it worse. You had an opportunity to fix it all a year ago and while everything and everyone around you changed, you stayed the same so you are back at square one: nowhere!
    Hopefully you will be able to "sell" the dream to your acquirer the same way you sold it to us! We are just now waking up and it may be time for you to open up your eyes too.

Spinning out of control

ProsThe casual dress code is nice and there is a bi-weekly masseuse who gives 20 minute massages.

ConsThis company lacks integrity in many areas; there are a lot of unethical things going on at Spins. Upwards of 15 people out of 100 employees have left the company in the last 2-3 months and management refers to it as growing pains. Many others are looking for opportunities to move on as well, creating a very unstable environment.

Company morale is at an all time low with good reason. Salary and benefits are below industry standard and bonuses are mostly non-existent. Communication of problems to management does nothing to help the situation and complaints are covered up, ignored, or the complainer is punished for speaking up. Although management says they value transparency, it does not exist.

Directors/managers are often inexperienced and sometimes they direct/manage no one - it's simply a title. These titles are handed out to almost anyone because they can't keep people in the positions, and it gives them an excuse to load extra work on the director/manager without paying them fairly for it. Some leaders that do manage employees should not be managing. They use a management style not founded in trust or respect for those they manage, but instead use fear or bullying to control people beneath them, sometimes hidden under a shroud of passive-aggressiveness. They spend a lot of time maintaining their tight control rather than developing the strengths of their employees. Talents and knowledge of employees are not well utilized or appreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to employees and show them respect. Taking anonymous surveys is great, but only if you actually follow through and address the problems.

Honesty, Integrity, Trust.. Not at this company..

(Current Employee)

ProsThere is a masseuse who comes in every couple weeks to give massages. This is great, if you are willing to sell your soul to work at this company.

ConsThere are only about 100 people in this company, and I am 100% confident the CEO doesn't even know the names of all the people here. People really bust their butt's for this company. The CEO says we have produced more earnings this quarter than ever before yet the pay rasies suck and the company doesn't give out bonuses either. If you want to have your career stagnate this is the place to be.

Did I mention that if you are a woman, you probably really DO NOT want to work at this company?

Advice to Senior ManagementLots of high level people have started to leave and management is making it sound like this is just part of business transformation, again. This was the message in 2013 when nearly all of management was replaced.

Ok

ProsSalary, work environment, team camaraderie.

ConsBenefits no bonus no opportunity to share in the companies growth, heavy turnover

Poor Treatment of Employees & Questionable business practices

Prosnatural products industry is growing and exciting. dynamic and passionate group of people

Constools are terrible, technology is out of date, senior management wants followers not leaders

Advice to Senior Managementtalent is your most important asset. You should reward appropriately and listen to them regularly

definitely not a good company to work for

ProsThey put in a nice new employee lounge area. Some of the employees are great people to work with. It appears that there may be opportunities to move up.

ConsThe pay is extremely low and the benefits are almost nonexistent. No bonuses of any kind. There is a huge deductible for the health insurance. Very few holidays or vacation days are offered. There doesn't seem to be much incentive.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better. Offer better salaries and benefits to attract better people.

A great place to work that provides opportunities for its employees to grow individually along with an emerging company.

Pros- Growing company continues to expand its presence and capabilities in the market research industry; a leader in the Natural/Organic/Specialty products industry.

- Abundant opportunities for personal development and advancement, both upward within departments and outward across departments.

- Great culture – company outings/events and team-building activities keep morale high; company promotes a healthy work/life balance; friendly and supportive co-workers.

Cons- Process inefficiencies and lack of communication can be frustrating, although progress is being made in these areas as these issues have become a couple of the points of emphasis for improvement.

Worked for Spins? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Spins reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Spins CEO Tony Olson. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Spins employees.