Spirit AeroSystems

www.spiritaero.com

Spirit AeroSystems Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014
Spirit AeroSystems – Tulsa – “Spirit AeroSystems, Inc.”

Larry Lawson

Pros
  • Good benefits, including tuition reimbursement (got an MBA paid for)(in 14 reviews)

• Good pay, including overtime for Exempt positions(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management not very good at communicating, no loyalty to staff(in 9 reviews)

• The work environment at Spirit is no longer a "healthy" environment in any way(in 4 reviews)

Corporate strategy not congruent with long term individual growth, financially, or through experience.

Manager (Current Employee) Wichita, KS

ProsBefore current management, Spirit was a great place to be creative, innovative, and productive. Used to be an excellent place to learn several facets of the business. I became very well-rounded in my tenure there as a manager.

ConsNew management has eliminated creativity in exchange for dumbing down processes, which in turn drives down wages. This has been consistent throughout the value stream and forces key players to leave the company. Pay is not competitive to similar jobs in local area. Expectations are not clear from upper management, and has driven bad behaviors at middle management level.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate the plan. The plan currently is not clear, concise, and in my opinion this is intentional. The key to performance is employee engagement. The business model currently in use is cannot be long-term, as there is virtually no information shared, so many in middle management are left to interpret what intent "might" be in lieu of an actual Mission Statement.

The new management has changed this company from a very desirable place to work to one that is threatening.

Information Technology (Former Employee) Wichita, KS

ProsGood pay, including overtime for Exempt positions. Good benefits. Offers flexible schedules, irregular workweeks, and flextime.

ConsThe company culture and company values have steadily declined in the past three to four years and that decline began a significant acceleration in late 2012. At one time it was an enjoyable environment, even with the immense workload. People pulled together "to get the job done" - and did. It has deteriorated into a threatening environment in which employees are afraid to identify problems and concerned for their jobs and careers. Employees seemed to be viewed as liabilities rather than assets and treated as objects rather than as people. Employees no longer team as they did. One issue is self-preservation. The "knowledge is power" syndrome has become "if I am the only one who knows, maybe I will be able to keep my job." Another is the incredible workload created by laying off too many people and cutting in some areas to the point it is no longer possible to keep up. People don't have time to stop and help someone else think through an issue or solve a problem. They are also stressed to the max, which is taking it's toll on many of them physically. The work environment at Spirit is no longer a "healthy" environment in any way.

Advice to Senior Management(1) Adhere to your operating value of "dignity and respect" for all. Even if you have to share bad news, including layoffs, do it in a dignified way, rather than the demeaning way in which it has been done over the last year. (2) Quit blaming "the worker bees" for the financial problems caused by poor management decisions and directions. Take responsibility and deal with it at the appropriate levels. Quit rewarding the executives with pay increases and bonuses when they perform poorly while you lay off "workers" who have are needed and have performed well. 3) Most of all, stop mandating that managers give an employee a poor performance review (presumably to provide "cause" for layoff) when that manager's assessment is that the worker performed well. Let performance reviews be done fairly by those who know the employees performance.

Decent pay and good benefits but if you're over 50, you're on your way out

Support Organization (Former Employee) Wichita, KS

ProsTypical employment cycle for an aerospace company: either lots of hiring or lots of layoffs. Work load is manageable for the most part, depending on your organization. Nice benefits and salaries are good for the area (although lower than many aerospace companies elsewhere). Generally nice coworkers.

ConsUneven management, many first-line managers in over their heads as they struggle to maintain schedules and reduce costs. Spirit had a good record avoiding layoffs until about six months ago. A new line of leadership has been given the mandate to cut costs any way they can -- and that includes getting rid of more expensive older employees, many of whom are legacy Boeing holdovers. Lots of expertise going out the door. Company is on shaky financial ground despite a solid production backlog.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to rebuild employee morale and resist the temptation to look only at short-term results at the expense of building a solid, talented workforce.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Spirit AeroSystems ?

Procurement Agent III (Former Employee) Wichita, KS

ProsHad the pleasure to work with a great core of people.

ConsSenior Management was not upfront and truthful to their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on your people skills NOW!

Be very cautious.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Wichita, KS

ProsOppportunity to work in a major aerospace manufacturer

ConsTremendous pressure and major fluctuations in management direction.

Worked as design engineer.

Design Engineer (Former Employee) Wichita, KS

ProsPeople are friendly around. There are opportinities to improve qulification by getting different free classes and courses. The process of designing is pretty smoothy, almost never had sitiation with meeting dedlines.

ConsReally difficult to get any promotions or raises. Managment treat all members of team equaly, no matter if you are lazy or hard-worker the salary system is the same to everybody. I didn't find for myself any future carrer growth or hope for better salary one day.

Down hill ever since the divestiture. Not sure where the bottom lies.

Engineering (Current Employee) Wichita, KS

ProsInteresting work and products. Some good people to work with. Company could be positioned in the market for a stable, profitable future if it can overcome past and current problems.

ConsCulture mostly one of every-man-for-themselves. Very little teamwork and no coordination across enterprise. Organizations work to achieve goals without regard to additional up- or downstream costs. Toxic work environment from recent financial troubles has been made worse by the new leadership adding in fear, mistrust and intimidation.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate. Pick a strategy and stick to it. People will work harder if they have some idea of the company strategy and how they can help. View employees as an asset to achieve goals instead of viewing them as the cause of past trouble.

Good People Good Opportunities, but a chaotic atmosphere of late

Operations (Current Employee) Kinston, NC

Prosgood opportunity to develop
    strong technical foundation
    industry growth
    great place to enter Aerospace industry
    Decent Pay
    Decent Benefits including insurance, 401K etc….

ConsLack of transparency with senior leadership
    Gaps in critical skill-sets specifically in support functions
    lack of experience in lower level management
    Little stability in company direction driven by excessive changes in senior leadership roles
    customer confidence is beginning to deteriorate

Advice to Senior ManagementNarrow your scope and focus on a select few of the major issues. We cannot fight a battle on every front.

great opportunity for advancement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat money, climate controlled, great co-workers

Conslong hours, tight spaces, bad management

very good work environment

Prosgood pay, a lot of work

Consmanagement needs improvement in many areas

Worked for Spirit AeroSystems? Contribute to the Community!