Spirit Halloween

Updated October 19, 2014
3.6

Spirit Halloween President & CEO Steven B. Silverstein
Steven B. Silverstein

Pros
  • Easy and flexible schedule, fun environment to work in, okay pay (in 8 reviews)

• Fun environment to be around for many hours of the day (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • It needs to be approved first by a district manager (in 13 reviews)

• upper management will say anything to you to get you to do more, but will turn on you in a heart beat (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun exciting seasonal job

I have been working at Spirit Halloween

Pros

Relaxed environment, 25% employee discount, flexible scheduling

Cons

store set up and tear down are strenuous, difficult keeping employees due to seasonal opportunity

Wonderful

I have been working at Spirit Halloween part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I LOVE working here. My store is super laid back, we get to dress up, the discount is great (25%) and most of our customers are excited about Halloween so it's just a fun place to work.

Cons

If you help with setup, it's kind of a pain in the butt. It's also a seasonal position, so I'm gonna have to go through the process of finding a job all over again in about a month.

I'm not a fan of the fact that they have very strict policies about internal theft and we can't really do anything about customers stealing.

Great, fun place to work

I have been working at Spirit Halloween

Pros

Fun, flexible hours, great people, discounts

Cons

Short term, working for pennies, when the season picks up very long days

Great Company, Great Fun

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Spirit Halloween full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is a great work experience. The company is very professional. The entire team is extremely open and friendly, even on the corporate side.

Cons

It is seasonal. I wish it was a longer experience.

I am an Assistant Store Manager and will be able to be a Store Manager next year. It is very easy to move up if you are a hard-worker.

Pretty sucky experience.

I worked at Spirit Halloween

Pros

It's a fun environment to work in. You get a 25% discount off all merchandise. It's a seasonal job.

Cons

Not enough hours, very unprofessional management, demanding customers.

Where I worked here in Texas is was an extremely unprofessional environment, my boss would text me when she wanted me to come in and expected me to just run and jump when she needed me, they were very rude towards the customers and one day we had closed the store and more people were showing up looking through the windows to see if anyone was in there. The manager was making comments saying "no, we're closed go the **** away", jokingly. And the asst. Manager said "you know they can probably here you right?" The manger replied with a "I don't care" I found it really repulsive and this was my first job. I would definitely get better management in these stores, the way they're running the company is extremely unorganized and unprofessional.

Horrible management

Former Employee - Cashier in Freehold, NJ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Freehold, NJ

I worked at Spirit Halloween full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Yeah it was laid back. 25% discount. where my store was located no one came in so we didn't have to do much.

Cons

When you walked into the store it felt like you where walking into hell. The manager would always complain about not making sales, she would complain if people called out sick, she would complain about working. She was nasty person and I feel bad for the employees that are there now.

Fire the manager, get a new one. Someone that can actually run the store and that could be nice to there employees. Yeah you have to be strict to a certain level but the least you can do is have a manager that likes there job and that is happy.

Sometimes the bad outweighs the good

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Spirit Halloween full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun place to work as an associate ; customers; employees; fun environment

Cons

Random visits from corporate who aren't the nicest of people. Customers will berate you when they cant return something they wore. No overtime pay for upper management whom seem to be at work longer than the store is open

Bring your lunch even though you wont be able to eat it; be stern when scheduling so people wont take advantage of you

Returning sales associate, second year

I have been working at Spirit Halloween

Pros

It's great for starting out. It was my first job and it teaches teenagers through adults about retail and the pos system. Will hire with no work experience as long as they can see you have a good head on your shoulders. Schedule can for the most part be worked around your schedule and I can confidently say that all other crew members of all levels in the company are genuinely kind people (in the area and surrounding store employees as well) some come off strong at first but I have never been in a situation in which there was purposeful disrespect. They hire a diverse staff. Everyone is given fair treatment regardless of age, sex, sexuality, ethnicity and level of mental capability

Cons

Building the store and then (something a lot of people don't think about) tearing the store down at the end of the season are very strenuous mentally and physically. It is rewarding to know you played a big part in the creation of the store and the experience but I found that the break down process after Halloween was a bit of a let down (just the mental aspect of ripping down and repacking what you put so much time, sweat and energy into was hard for me to deal with) Otherwise, specific issues I've had are simply human error and will vary based upon each specific store manager and district manager

Try to update store inventory and merchandise based upon the year and popularity of costumes and accessories. Clearly things must be sold no matter how many years it takes, but try to update it if possible

Stressful

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Roseville, CA

I worked at Spirit Halloween part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Always depends on where you were, but customers are often happy to come in. Very fun for people who enjoy Halloween. Company values are top notch, I always love seeing a store give back to the community, and Spirit always does a charity for children's hospitals.

Cons

Very over staffed, but poorly placed. Managers were too busy handling inventory to train new employees. Hours vary by store, for me hours were definitely a problem, but again, we were overstaffed. Everyone seemed unorganized.

Fun but it is a job

I have been working at Spirit Halloween full-time

Pros

discount on Halloween, very fun environment. good pay. you can gain alot of skills

Cons

not a lot of hours and it is seasonal job.

Spirit Halloween Photos