Spirit Halloween

Updated December 19, 2014
3.7

Spirit Halloween President & CEO Steven B. Silverstein
Steven B. Silverstein

Pros
  • It's a fun environment to work in (in 9 reviews)

• Fun environment when the store is open (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management will say anything to you to get you to do more, but will turn on you in a heart beat (in 14 reviews)

• It needs to be approved first by a district manager (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Loved the fast-paced positive environment, very pleasant co-workers

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Customer Service Representative in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Customer Service Representative in Eugene, OR

I worked at Spirit Halloween full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Meet all the new exciting people everyday, getting to help them find an awesome costume from our wide range of selection.

Cons

On your feet most of the day, I recommend you wear highly comfortable shoes for this job

Loyalty will never go unpunished.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Spirit Halloween full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic people, fun for associates. Management is stressful. If you give your all, they can and will bleed you until you are burnt out. Very easy to feel loyal to the company. Merchandise is fun to be around, customers are fun during the less-busy part of the season when they're not scrambling at the last minute.

Cons

Seasonal associates that like to call out, upper management doesn't care about you at all. Very stressful.

Retail Management Key To Key winners!

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Auburn, WA
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Auburn, WA

I worked at Spirit Halloween

Pros

Working for Spirit is a BUSY job that has many fun and interesting day to day challenges and rewards. They give back to the community and run long hours of Halloween excitement.

Cons

Low pay, and if you miss your goals by a little, you get skipped over on any possible bonus that was to be awarded, and not invited back for the next year.

Give higher budget for your managers to hire more staff and get some actual security systems in place instead of fake ones.

Great sidejob

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Hampton, VA

I have been working at Spirit Halloween part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love working there every season. Great hours, very flexible, awesome management, family-business feel.

Cons

Alot of gossiping between associates, customers come in hoards so it's either very busy or pretty empty but always ridiculous the week of halloween, alot of cleaning and manual labor in the beg. and end of the season, minimum wage

Workers should be payed more for setting up and closing the store.

A fun, but incredibly busy and sometimes frustrating job!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Spirit Halloween full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pros are:
    *25% employee discount (but the mark-ups are very high)
    *a fun work environment with an emphasis on customer service
    *fair pay and decent hours
    *you get to work in a Halloween store, I mean come on.

Cons

The cons are:
    *the constant stopping for breaks and demanding break schedule
    *the constant shoplifting/breaking of merchandise by customers
    *the fact that in a return situation, a nice customer will get told no, but an angry customer gets whatever they want
    *the price of some of these cheap, ill-fitting costumes that barely cover your butt

*Start putting security tags on all clothing items, so that costume prices can be lowered and more merch can be sold
    *Post a clear and well-defined return policy, and follow it, rather than letting managers over ride all decisions
    *Donate discontinued items to charities--we literally had to destroy a heap of costume merchandise. We can't even put it in the dumpster without destroying it first.
    *More employees on the schedule--opening a huge, busy store during the season with just two people means one on register, one in the fitting room, and nobody answering phones, helping customers, or watching for shoplifters

Good for a first seasonal job.

I worked at Spirit Halloween

Pros

Festive environment. You get to work a lot with smaller children and their parents. It's only a seasonal position but it is definitely good as a first job to get some experience. The pay and hours could both be better, but they are really flexible around student/other work schedules.

Cons

Most sales associates will work one of three jobs a day: register, fitting rooms, or the floor. They really just stick you where they need you regardless of what you want. I was always stuck on the register even though the pressure made me anxious. Also, if you work register, you're forced to collect as many donations as possible (they require a percentage of your total sales to be from donations alone), and sometimes pushing the customers to donate can get really uncomfortable.

New experiences but a few cons

I worked at Spirit Halloween as a contractor

Pros

Discounted items are great.
    Some employees great to work with.
    Fast paced.
    Fun.
    Manager was nice.
    Tattoos and hair colors are allowed.

Cons

Some customers are difficult.
    Very challenging for someone with a history of shyness or being an introvert.
    Some employees are best kept as acquaintances. Do not be shocked if someone is ready to point the blame your way if in trouble.
    Fight for hours.
    The closer the Halloween it gets, the crazier it gets.
    Store owner popped in here and there and is very VERY strict.

Try to get information better reached to all employees

Spirit Halloween Seasonal Store Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Spirit Halloween

Pros

Get to know and work with a small team sharing a goal and common interest

Cons

Management functions limited/restricted by corporate

Wish it was year round!

Former Employee - Sales Associate Promoted to Assistant Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Spirit Halloween part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Atmosphere, costumes, helping people put costumes together. What's not to love IT"S HALLOWEEN!!! Ready to re-apply for next year.

Cons

Only down side is it's seasonal. Would be nice if the parent company Spencers thought to branch out and make a changes with the season/holiday store.

Should think about those of us who return year after year to make it somewhat easier to return without wasting time and money on un-necessary entering the same info from last time on paper/computer.

Can't wait until next year!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fenton, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fenton, MO

I worked at Spirit Halloween full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great environment. Fun people to work with/for. Employee discount is generous. Willing to work with the schedule for you.

Cons

The work is only seasonal and it is hard to say goodbye to everyone in the end. Have to be available and possibly have to work on Halloween and following days.

My supervisors and management were great. I guess it can vary by store though. Oh - and sometimes it seemed that we didn't have the materials needed for the work. (Tear down of store)

Spirit Halloween Photos