Spirit Halloween

Updated September 22, 2014
3.6

Spirit Halloween President & CEO Steven B. Silverstein
Steven B. Silverstein

Pros
  • Easy and flexible schedule, fun environment to work in, okay pay (in 8 reviews)

• Fun environment to be around for many hours of the day (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • It needs to be approved first by a district manager (in 12 reviews)

• upper management will say anything to you to get you to do more, but will turn on you in a heart beat (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

For a temporary job it is a good fun place to work

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Spirit Halloween full-time for less than a year

Pros

Upper management really seems to care about all employees and their experience with the company.

Cons

Poor training. Unorganized due to poor structure. Outdated technology.

Be more particular when hiring your district managers.

Fun but it is a job

I have been working at Spirit Halloween full-time

Pros

discount on Halloween, very fun environment. good pay. you can gain alot of skills

Cons

not a lot of hours and it is seasonal job.

Stressful

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate  in  Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Roseville, CA

I worked at Spirit Halloween part-time for less than a year

Pros

Always depends on where you were, but customers are often happy to come in. Very fun for people who enjoy Halloween. Company values are top notch, I always love seeing a store give back to the community, and Spirit always does a charity for children's hospitals.

Cons

Very over staffed, but poorly placed. Managers were too busy handling inventory to train new employees. Hours vary by store, for me hours were definitely a problem, but again, we were overstaffed. Everyone seemed unorganized.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun, but unorganized.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Spirit Halloween part-time for less than a year

Pros

Typically, your coworkers will be great, everyone seemed to have the same interests so it made it fun to talk while working. The management is willing to work with school schedules, and you can get a ton of hours if you want them. The discount (25%) works in both Spirit and Spencers Gifts.

Cons

Management is insanely unorganized, especially if you get on at the beginning of the season and help set up the store. Don't expect a schedule until your store is actually opened and running. Setting up the store is awful, a lot of manual labor that they want done as quickly as possible. You're basically unloading storage units that are completely unorganized and then setting up every single stand, shelf, and wall with a very small amount of people. The stores aren't fully staffed, I heard them say that they're normally hiring up to a week before they close. Because of this they may make you drive around setting up different stores because, "you're the only employees we have", and you don't get paid for the hours you spend driving to whatever location they decided on for that day. You have to be VERY pushy about the Spirit of Children and getting email addresses. Its also required of everyone to stand outside and be a sign holder at some point while working there. The stores will almost never open when they're supposed to as well. You'll be pressured to buy things you may not be able to. And if you request days off for school or anything expect your schedule to be ridiculous.

Get organized. Set a schedule right away and stick to it, rather than texting everyone the night before saying you'll be elsewhere.

Terrible to employees

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Spirit Halloween full-time for less than a year

Pros

I guess the only real pro about working here is that it is a temporary seasonal store. And discount is pretty good. They also allow "no experience" people, like high school/college students to work, which is a great starting opportunity for some people.

Cons

The managers treat the employees terribly. Idk about any other Spirits around the country, but the one I worked for was pretty bad. Also pretty unorganized and messy.

Get better DM's to make sure the stores are spotless. And better, more experienced managers who actually know how to treat employees.

Good experience. Seasonal work. For Halloween Season. Getting enough inventory was a problem.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Dayton, OH

I worked at Spirit Halloween full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good leadership from above. District Manager very experienced. Enjoyable seasonal retail job particularly if you like Halloween and having control of your own store without someone over you every minute.

Cons

Pay too low for position. Managers should work 40 hours instead of 44. Store never had enough inventory. Hard to keep enough labor due to budget in early weeks of season.

Raise the pay for Store Managers and cut the hours they need to work to 40. See that the stores have ENOUGH inventory of 'hot sellers'. Hard to make a bonus by meeting a dollar sales figure for season when you don't have ENOUGH of the right inventory. Interesting to note here that if a store is in the same location the next season, they 'lower dollar sales figure' needed to make Manager bonus if it wasn't made the previous season.

My expectations weren't high but this is a horrible, awful place to work.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Littleton, CO

I have been working at Spirit Halloween full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible dress code, employee discount. Spirit of the Children Charity.

Cons

No trust for employees. Micro managed. Inconsistent communication from management. Impossible to get tasks done in allotted time. My supervisor used the comments from the teenagers to determine my performance as an assistant manager. Store was filthy and I was not allowed to do any cleaning. Schedule would change with no notice and I was not informed if I wasn't at the store when it happened. I was supposed to be full time but average 20 hrs/wk.

Increase wages so that you attract better people. TRUST your employees.

set up

Former Employee - Set Up  in  Parkville, MD
    Former Employee - Set Up in Parkville, MD

I worked at Spirit Halloween full-time for less than a year

Pros

not much, manager was ignorant
    liked to set up store and feel good you got to do something

Cons

inventory, people trying to break in, manager never ordering enough things or they "get lost"
    most stuff if broken already used things.. horrible

step up your game, if your going to be a manager act like one!

SPIRIT

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Gainesville, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Gainesville, VA

I worked at Spirit Halloween full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome Seasonal or Permanent Opportunity , Room For Expansion Great WORKING ENVIROMENT

Cons

ALOT OF WORK, MORE MONEY WOULD BE NICE

AMAZING!!!

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate  in  Antelope, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Antelope, CA

I worked at Spirit Halloween part-time for less than a year

Pros

Getting to help people and the young children find the perfect costume is the best part of working at Spirit.

Cons

If you cannot handle high pressure situations this job is not for you.

Worked for Spirit Halloween? Contribute to the Community!