Spirit Halloween

Updated February 26, 2015
3.6

Spirit Halloween President & CEO Steven B. Silverstein
Steven B. Silverstein

Pros
  • It's a fun environment to work in (in 9 reviews)

• Fun environment when the store is open (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management will say anything to you to get you to do more, but will turn on you in a heart beat (in 14 reviews)

• It needs to be approved first by a district manager (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome company to work for!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Spirit Halloween

Pros

Decent salary, good environment and lots of fun!

Cons

Hard time finding hard working associates

Hire more people to start with

Great first job, lot's of fun.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Goodyear, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Goodyear, AZ

I worked at Spirit Halloween

Pros

For teens who have no job experience this is very good place to start as they will teach you what you need to now and already know they will be working with younger employees. Working at spirit is a lot of fun as you spend your day surrounded by halloween and in my experience my Co workers were also a lot of fun. Great to talk to customer.

Cons

Be prepared to work. As it gets closer to Halloween everything gets crazy busy and you have tons of people coming in looking for costumes and supplies. Trying to keep the store clean and organized at peak times is nearly impossible but you have to try to anyways.

Need a better way to deal with the phone. We tried very hard to answer the phone and help people over the phone but with only two cash registers and a line to the back of the store it gets difficult.

Seasonal DSM

Former Employee - District Sales Manager
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager

I worked at Spirit Halloween

Pros

good salary, fun environment, great management

Cons

Long hours, hard work, seasonal

Promote from within to retain talent.

The Company pushes all management and associates to the end without even a "Thank You"

Former Contractor - District Sales Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Contractor - District Sales Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Spirit Halloween as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Merchandise discount, season is over soon.

Cons

You can increase sales plans, control all expenses and the company still is so greedy.

The top dogs in the company need to actually work in a store to really see what it's like.

It all depends on your area and who's running things

Former Employee - Store Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Spirit Halloween full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for Spirit for three seasons, in stores both corporate and consignment operated. I loved, loved working for the corporate stores: the product we sell never gets old, customers are so fun to help, fellow employees are usually really fun to work with, and I really looked forward to coming in every day. Assistant managers are paid fairly, and in one season, if you prove yourself to be a great worker, it is easy to come back as an assistant the next year. It's easy to work your way up into store management as well. ISEs (in store experiences) are super fun and the screams from customers and the fun they have never get old! I even enjoyed the store set-ups and tear downs. I love that we raise donations for the Spirit of Children program, giving kids in the hospital a time to do something special and have fun on a fun day they might otherwise miss out on due to unfortunate circumstances, and the program even goes above and beyond helping the child life department at local hospitals provide more to the kids. We got the fever for helping these kids in my stores! In the corporate stores, I felt well taken care of and felt like the others in management were happy to be there.

Cons

Store management has high time demands, more specifically in the consignment store I worked for. I was expected to work 70-90 hour weeks for terrible pay, and as things got closer to the end of the season, I was not allowed days or time off. The corporate stores allow you to have two assistant managers to help keep things going and to stay sane, they also simply require a 44 hour week minimum, but the consignment store I worked for was so focused on their money that they did not want to pay the teensy bit extra on a raise for a second assistant manager, so I had to eat up the role of the second and only had one that I was not allowed to give many hours to... because they are a "mom and pop shop" as they called it, they had to watch their budget. For all positions, this budget watching also includes a reduced employee discount compared to what corporate allows. The 5% difference in itself isn't killer, but it is the point of the matter. Those running the consignment stores in this area had NO respect for their managers, each other, and even less for the assistants and sales associates. They also had no respect for the customers and little for the Spirit of Children program. They ruined what I remember being a very terrific and fun experience. In contrast to the corporate stores and how management there seemed happy to be there, here I felt several of the others felt an obligation to be there and would keep saying they don't know why they came back. I always felt snapped at instead of inspired by.

Rochester area management: you guys were great. Every one of you I met worked hard, wanted to see success, and gave your best to create that success. Charlotte area management? Gain some people skills, gain some respect for others, and gain some decency. At the very least, give your store managers a break. These are the people running your stores, these are the people you are trusting to bring your success. If you work them past the point of function, they cannot do their best for you. That's basic biology when you deprive a person of sleep, breaks, and their own life. I was looking forward to doing so much more for my store, but all I could focus on was how to survive until the end. Also, stop speaking down to your employees as if they are beneath you. Perhaps start your practice now in speaking more decently to each other.

Frustrating

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Northridge, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Northridge, CA

I worked at Spirit Halloween part-time (less than a year)

Pros

discount is about the only pro

Cons

corporate is very disorganized, the area manager comes in demands many changes then they come back and want the store to go back to the way it was. You have to do pocket checks if you ever leave the store even if your management.

Step up your game get more organized train your managers better and raise the pay $1 dollar over minimum wage for managers is ridiculous.

Halloween comes once a year

I worked at Spirit Halloween full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Typically 8 - 12 weeks of work, so you're not locked into one job and can pursue work afterwards if you wish.
    - Possibility of moving to a Spencer's store afterwards.

Cons

- Seasonal position, so if you're in trouble with finding work this is merely a stop gap.
    - Pay is typically minimal unless you have a long history of experience or take a management position.

Keep your spirits up, (no pun intended), it's only a temporary job.

Fast-paced environment

I have been working at Spirit Halloween

Pros

Good Company to work for to obtain experience as District Sales Manager

Cons

Staffing Stores with quality staff

Energized company

Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Spirit Halloween

Pros

This is an excellent opportunity for fall seasonal work. Fast paced, hard work in the beginning and at the end.

Cons

Dedicated seasonal sales associates are hard to find for the management team. Discounts are sometimes less than if you used a coupon. Have to work late hours around Halloween.

Be a team player.

Fun job.

I worked at Spirit Halloween

Pros

Friendly coworkers, flexible scheduling, good discount, pretty much no dress code

Cons

Customers trashing store other than that not really anything

Raise foe sales associates please

Spirit Halloween Photos