Spirit Halloween

Updated October 19, 2014
3.6

Spirit Halloween President & CEO Steven B. Silverstein
Steven B. Silverstein

Pros
  • It's a fun environment to work in (in 9 reviews)

• Fun environment to be around for many hours of the day (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • It needs to be approved first by a district manager (in 13 reviews)

• upper management will say anything to you to get you to do more, but will turn on you in a heart beat (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Im a current employee, so far the job itself is cake but the people are horrible.

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I have been working at Spirit Halloween part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Low staff so hours are nice. All im required to do is greet/thank as well as work cash register. We get a 25% discount on everything. Spirit of Children is a great program...yeah.

Cons

Management is poor at best. I have a somewhat nice manager but her attitude changes depending whose there. No one here likes halloween and hates talking. Not very flexible with school hours and they call me in for 8 hour shifts on my days off. Very very pushy about making sales and we get yelled at when people are there to browse and dont buy/ donate. Im cashier, though I get yelled at for standing near the front of the store by the register because we must circulate, however if your not up there before a customer is done you get yelled at like a dog. Training was like 1 hour one day and she didnt even go over how to use the register giving id had no experience before. I get talked to like a kid though im the top donation cashier as well as the only pleasant person with customers, everyone else seems bothered by questions and walks around like zombies. Pay is crap and the days are long, sometimes with barely any people. Overpriced. Over rated.

Train your employees. Understand some of us also have school. Dont talk to people like their 12 year old kids or stupid.

Hands down one of the WORST places i've ever worked.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Bridgeport, CT
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Bridgeport, CT

I worked at Spirit Halloween full-time (less than an year)

Pros

nearly instant hiring when I was really desperate to get back to work.

OK salary for the type of work. $625 weekly.

that's really about the only things. That and I could somewhat set my own hours, but even that was a joke.

Cons

Way too many to name, but i'll try:

DM in Southern New England Region was a total hag - rude, unprofessional and completely incompetent. Implied that I would be walking into a fully built store; it wasn't. I'm not handy, I don't know how to build anything - I know how to RUN things. It was a total shock. Two days after I was hired, two huge semis came in filled with last year's store parts flung into a trailer and a day after that, boxes upon boxes of merchandise. It took a week of 12 hour days just to complete a false wall and some shelves. I got hurt, crushed, pinched and injured putting this stuff together. It's a walking OSHA violation. Also, our store was completely empty, no heat with literally a SINGLE light hanging from an unfinished ceiling. Our DM provided us shop-lights. What a lady!

Couldn't build a staff. The DM "hired" two other people for me. The three of us toiled for five days straight before one quit. The other one was really talented, I needed an assistant, but was blocked by the DM because she "didn't like her." I spent the rest of my time there begging for staff. Was instructed by DM to "hire with my eyes closed." - you don't run an effective operation like that. I wasn't asking for weeks of vetting time, but I'm not hiring just anybody. It's a safety concern as well as productivity.

DM brought her dog into the store with her. Oh, what a delight! In reality, this little "darling" of hers was a poorly trained greyhound who would bite myself and co-workers, defecate and urinate on the floors and run around like bottled lightning. DM found this hilarious.

DM would stalk the store, check out progress. For most of my time there, however brief - we were severely understaff and hideously overworked. We would then be berated for this. I have no issue with my boss checking up, but when it's completely unreasonable to be given the expectations we were given, and then to criticize us for this. We were the best she had at the time, and we were working as hard as we could. It wasn't unexpected to be at the store for 8AM, be there all day and leave at midnight. No satisfaction from DM and NO SUPPORT. If the DM happened to stop by when were on a smoke break, she'd act if we were just sitting around. More like "no, this is hour six and we came in at dawn."

When I tried to explain to the DM that she is putting us in a dangerous situation, told me that I could be replaced tomorrow.

Told DM I got injured when a piece of false wall collapsed on me, said "you seem fine, I expect you in tomorrow."

I could write pages and pages about this woman, truth is, at the end of my time here, after my six or seventh conversation with the DM about the conditions of the job, I decided to turn in my keys.

I took this job because I needed the money, because I love halloween and because I thought it would be different than it actually was. I quickly found out it's a horror show - it's a cash machine. They set these stores up over the course of like three weeks, pump it for all they can make and skip town. I'm in the wrong business.

I have never worked for a DM more unprofessional that that woman running the show here. This woman is a liability. We were forced to work in conditions that would have necessitated a store closure if it were known publicly. Two people alone can't lift, move, map and assemble an entire storefront with no support. We also can't handle truck after truck of mixed up merchandise from unloading to unboxing ourselves. We were freezing and often literally working in the dark - I pulled my back out, I got blood blisters - my other employee had a metal bracket crush her hand.

This place, as it is, is a lawsuit waiting to happen. You need to reevaluate how you operate before somebody gets seriously hurt.

Furthermore, you might want to have a conversation with your people about diversity. The one employee who stuck by this madness with me was good - and she was also judged as being "young, stupid and freakish" - the other employee I was allowed to hire was from the south and judged to be "stupid, strong and a moron." I have never treated my staff like this in my life.

Also, I'm pretty sure "employee's dogs" aren't covered by the insurance umbrella policy for the company. I still have a mark on my hand from little Fido having bit me. Sweet.

You want to be respected by your staff? Stop walking around like you have a handle on everything. Put the designer bag down, throw the dog in the car and pick up a girder. I can't illustrate vividly enough the abuse my workers and I suffered while we were there.

Yes, I walked off this job and I am not sorry and I won't ever be back. I see your stores popping up now, tis' the season and it makes me angry and all I do is implore others not to work/shop there.

Get rid of that DM, before she costs you some serious cash. That would be my advice to you.

If you're a worker, stay away. This place might look attractive to have some cash coming in, but this is the time of year where everybody is hiring for seasonal. You'll find much better places that will treat you like a human, not like cattle. Let the first-time job-seekers cut their teeth here. This place is not for professionals of ANY KIND.

I'm not saying I was expecting a suit & tie atmosphere - but this wasn't my first time at the rodeo; my first few jobs were in malls. By 21 I managed my first store, I know how to juggle priorities and I know how to work hard. No respectable employer would willingly and openly endanger their employees for fear of missing an opening target date.

I was horrified at the conditions here. Please take note. I can't stress this enough.

Stressful

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Roseville, CA

I worked at Spirit Halloween part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Always depends on where you were, but customers are often happy to come in. Very fun for people who enjoy Halloween. Company values are top notch, I always love seeing a store give back to the community, and Spirit always does a charity for children's hospitals.

Cons

Very over staffed, but poorly placed. Managers were too busy handling inventory to train new employees. Hours vary by store, for me hours were definitely a problem, but again, we were overstaffed. Everyone seemed unorganized.

Fun, but unorganized.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Spirit Halloween part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Typically, your coworkers will be great, everyone seemed to have the same interests so it made it fun to talk while working. The management is willing to work with school schedules, and you can get a ton of hours if you want them. The discount (25%) works in both Spirit and Spencers Gifts.

Cons

Management is insanely unorganized, especially if you get on at the beginning of the season and help set up the store. Don't expect a schedule until your store is actually opened and running. Setting up the store is awful, a lot of manual labor that they want done as quickly as possible. You're basically unloading storage units that are completely unorganized and then setting up every single stand, shelf, and wall with a very small amount of people. The stores aren't fully staffed, I heard them say that they're normally hiring up to a week before they close. Because of this they may make you drive around setting up different stores because, "you're the only employees we have", and you don't get paid for the hours you spend driving to whatever location they decided on for that day. You have to be VERY pushy about the Spirit of Children and getting email addresses. Its also required of everyone to stand outside and be a sign holder at some point while working there. The stores will almost never open when they're supposed to as well. You'll be pressured to buy things you may not be able to. And if you request days off for school or anything expect your schedule to be ridiculous.

Get organized. Set a schedule right away and stick to it, rather than texting everyone the night before saying you'll be elsewhere.

Terrible to employees

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Spirit Halloween full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I guess the only real pro about working here is that it is a temporary seasonal store. And discount is pretty good. They also allow "no experience" people, like high school/college students to work, which is a great starting opportunity for some people.

Cons

The managers treat the employees terribly. Idk about any other Spirits around the country, but the one I worked for was pretty bad. Also pretty unorganized and messy.

Get better DM's to make sure the stores are spotless. And better, more experienced managers who actually know how to treat employees.

Good experience. Seasonal work. For Halloween Season. Getting enough inventory was a problem.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Dayton, OH

I worked at Spirit Halloween full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good leadership from above. District Manager very experienced. Enjoyable seasonal retail job particularly if you like Halloween and having control of your own store without someone over you every minute.

Cons

Pay too low for position. Managers should work 40 hours instead of 44. Store never had enough inventory. Hard to keep enough labor due to budget in early weeks of season.

Raise the pay for Store Managers and cut the hours they need to work to 40. See that the stores have ENOUGH inventory of 'hot sellers'. Hard to make a bonus by meeting a dollar sales figure for season when you don't have ENOUGH of the right inventory. Interesting to note here that if a store is in the same location the next season, they 'lower dollar sales figure' needed to make Manager bonus if it wasn't made the previous season.

My expectations weren't high but this is a horrible, awful place to work.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Littleton, CO

I have been working at Spirit Halloween full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible dress code, employee discount. Spirit of the Children Charity.

Cons

No trust for employees. Micro managed. Inconsistent communication from management. Impossible to get tasks done in allotted time. My supervisor used the comments from the teenagers to determine my performance as an assistant manager. Store was filthy and I was not allowed to do any cleaning. Schedule would change with no notice and I was not informed if I wasn't at the store when it happened. I was supposed to be full time but average 20 hrs/wk.

Increase wages so that you attract better people. TRUST your employees.

set up

Former Employee - Set Up in Parkville, MD
    Former Employee - Set Up in Parkville, MD

I worked at Spirit Halloween full-time (less than an year)

Pros

not much, manager was ignorant
    liked to set up store and feel good you got to do something

Cons

inventory, people trying to break in, manager never ordering enough things or they "get lost"
    most stuff if broken already used things.. horrible

step up your game, if your going to be a manager act like one!

SPIRIT

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Gainesville, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Gainesville, VA

I worked at Spirit Halloween full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome Seasonal or Permanent Opportunity , Room For Expansion Great WORKING ENVIROMENT

Cons

ALOT OF WORK, MORE MONEY WOULD BE NICE

AMAZING!!!

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Antelope, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Antelope, CA

I worked at Spirit Halloween part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Getting to help people and the young children find the perfect costume is the best part of working at Spirit.

Cons

If you cannot handle high pressure situations this job is not for you.

Spirit Halloween Photos