Splunk

Splunk Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Splunk President & CEO Godfrey Sullivan

Godfrey Sullivan

Pros:
  • "Splunk has a great product, many employees who are individual cont5ributors are professional and committed"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Great people, great products, great customers & great leadership"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very fast growing company, people, processes and technologies changing constantly, pressure to perform"
    in 4 reviews
  • "They're a fast growing company that's very fluid"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Summer Intern

Summer Intern (Current Employee)

ProsLot of passionate people around and they are always ready to help. Good remuneration. They made sure that we have a brilliant time there.

ConsNothing in particular. You can work hard and keep having fun at the same time.

Splunk and Godfrey Rock!

Marketing (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThis company is what happens when brilliant people with great character create and run a company hiring others like themselves! . Splunk actually does what it is supposed to do. And that means everyone gets to tell the truth and keep their job! No ethical dilemmas! Management is awesome --a rule to praise in public correct in private--respects employees and value our customers. Fun is a corporate value but so is smart work. It's like being at a university!

ConsIt's a complex product and it's not easy getting up to speed even if you are used to usually being the smartest person in the room at prior jobs. You get the Harvard effect--did they accidentally hire me?

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you do! Keep hiring great people! Don't grade people at the first real classes they take as an employee. Give them a full month to get acclimated ----then give the more direct feedback. Everything else is fabulous--I have only been here 4 months

used to be great, really gone downhill

San Francisco, CA

Prosmoney, money, money, good name to have on resume.

Conseverything else, work sucks, people are aggressive and rude to each other. its one of those places where people want to get ahead by discrediting others. there is no longer any transparency in the organization. have had three bosses in the span of a year. impossible to get anything done. there are 10 managers to every one person actually doing work.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's the goat rodeo they say it is

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery willing to get people in the right job. Very friendly environment, want people to succeed. Good technology. PTO, RSUs, benefits, and has a fun environment.

Very approachable and smart CEO. Very smart people to learn from.

Telecommuting option is provided, but hard to do when you're on a conference call with 8 people in a room shouting at each other forgetting you're on the phone.

Party culture if you like that type of thing.

ConsPolitics, politics, politics. Even though people are friendly, there is a lot of backstabbing that is going on.

There is a lot of shifting going on in management that is taking a lot of the individual contributors by surprise, looking like people are being forced out, and it makes everyone very uneasy.

Free food, drinks, etc with no sensitivity to allergies.

Absolutely no consideration for those who have families and want to enjoy them instead of working long days, nights, weekends, etc.

Many in management at all levels do not care how things interact with each other. Many are either my-way-or-the-highway or just don't care.

The worst HR and IT departments I have ever worked with anywhere, and they are both given awards constantly. Hypergrowth is fine, but if you don't have the infrastructure to support it, you are only shooting yourself in the foot.

But the worst part? The unprofessionalism that is not only accepted, but it appears to be encouraged in every department. And that has to do with the Boy's Club that's there even though management puts blinders to it.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease listen to your individual contributors! They have a lot to offer, but they do not feel listened to. If you don't listen to them, they will not stay, and they are your bread and butter.

You are also running them into the ground and not communicating the current management changes. Fix the communication!

Life changing, dream job

Human Resources Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsI've been given an opportunity to grow professionally and map out my career with management. I really feel like the company has invested in me. The culture is innovative, disruptive, fun. People are passionate about their work. Executive team is open and approachable. Benefits are excellent, including ESPP.

ConsNo real cons here. I get to run my job like it's my own business. Can't ask for more than that.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue investing in your employees by promoting from within.

Don't Bother It's Already Over

(Current Employee)

ProsGreat Technology
    Fun culture for most of the company outside of sales or marketing
    Some really smart people

ConsIt's already peaked and it's all downhill from here
    The most gossip-fueled culture I have ever seen. Tons of gossipers it's insane
    They don't have what it takes to be a major player and the sales numbers are the proof
    Some very inexperienced, uneducated people who are afraid to take ownership and move forward
    Very political culture. You need to be in the right clique.
    Their values are totally made up. They say they value open communication and honesty. That is a total joke.
    The sales department is very strangely structured but they seem to get stuff done in their direct-only sales model. The marketing department really doesn't know what it's doing either but it shows more in that dept.
    Looks like the the executive staff is just filling their pockets and their friends pockets with cash. They are cashing out and they don't care about the company's long-term future.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. You think you are already successful. Keep running it into the ground.

Best experience in my life

Director (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsInnovation, very good compensation for high performers who have been around, changes and problems eventually seem to get solved

ConsExecutives only seem to like hiring other conventional white males, complacency, starting to get people who are not competent trying to move ahead via politics as it grows, aggressive.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so enamored of credentials from big companies. someone who got to the top of a giant dominant company by being there for 25 of it's least-innovative years is a terrible choice as a leader at a company that wants to be a challenger.

Incredible Company

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsIncredible product, great people, and the right culture.

ConsNothing beyond the obvious difficulties surrounding an incredibly fast growing company

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focusing on the product, the amazing marketing events, and enabling the sales force.

I don't review employers. Unless I'm extremely annoyed with the company.

(Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGlassdoor needs me to write pros, and I created a glassdoor account simply because I have never been so throughly dissatisfied with an employer to go through the trouble of creating an account and writing a review. Undoubtedly splunk is the golden child of this decade, if you count the IPO and the very slick product. It's a good product, there is simply no doubt about this. It also makes me think that they do not need a sales staff. The product sells itself. It's like log management software in a bikini. Let me say that one more time: The product sells itself. Now - see the cons.

ConsThe product sells itself. Simple. They know this. So the field staff receives step motherly treatment at best. If you really manage to worm your way into a good team where you are fairly insulated from the surrounding ennui, then you are golden. I have never had such an awful time working for a company with such a great product. Is this a place for somewhat brainless people? Yes. If you want to sell disruptive technology and not forget that you also have a brain, leave.
    If you want to do a brainless job day after day, and work with colleagues who don't know the meaning of the phrase 'team spirit', you are in the right place. Good product. Bad managers, absolutely incompetent hr and field support. Bad company.

Advice to Senior ManagementLose your field staff. Outsource to a telemarketing firm. You will probably get the same ROI. There will also be no need to employ so many field sales folks. More money in your pocket.

Love it

San Francisco, CA

ProsAmazing products, great people, great office!

ConsTypical growing (hyper growing?) pains, empire building, veterans getting tired

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let your new wealth distract you! There's plenty more upside.

Worked for Splunk? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Splunk reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Splunk CEO Godfrey Sullivan. All 64 reviews posted anonymously by Splunk employees.