Splunk

Splunk Reviews

Updated Feb 18, 2014

Splunk President & CEO Godfrey Sullivan

Godfrey Sullivan

Pros:
  • "Splunk has a great product, many employees who are individual cont5ributors are professional and committed"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Great people, great products, great customers & great leadership"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very fast growing company, people, processes and technologies changing constantly, pressure to perform"
    in 4 reviews
  • "They're a fast growing company that's very fluid"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I don't review employers. Unless I'm extremely annoyed with the company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Splunk full-time for more than a year

ProsGlassdoor needs me to write pros, and I created a glassdoor account simply because I have never been so throughly dissatisfied with an employer to go through the trouble of creating an account and writing a review. Undoubtedly splunk is the golden child of this decade, if you count the IPO and the very slick product. It's a good product, there is simply no doubt about this. It also makes me think that they do not need a sales staff. The product sells itself. It's like log management software in a bikini. Let me say that one more time: The product sells itself. Now - see the cons.

ConsThe product sells itself. Simple. They know this. So the field staff receives step motherly treatment at best. If you really manage to worm your way into a good team where you are fairly insulated from the surrounding ennui, then you are golden. I have never had such an awful time working for a company with such a great product. Is this a place for somewhat brainless people? Yes. If you want to sell disruptive technology and not forget that you also have a brain, leave.
If you want to do a brainless job day after day, and work with colleagues who don't know the meaning of the phrase 'team spirit', you are in the right place. Good product. Bad managers, absolutely incompetent hr and field support. Bad company.

Advice to Senior ManagementLose your field staff. Outsource to a telemarketing firm. You will probably get the same ROI. There will also be no need to employ so many field sales folks. More money in your pocket.

Best experience in my life

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Splunk full-time

ProsInnovation, very good compensation for high performers who have been around, changes and problems eventually seem to get solved

ConsExecutives only seem to like hiring other conventional white males, complacency, starting to get people who are not competent trying to move ahead via politics as it grows, aggressive.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so enamored of credentials from big companies. someone who got to the top of a giant dominant company by being there for 25 of it's least-innovative years is a terrible choice as a leader at a company that wants to be a challenger.

Great product, fast growing, EMEA management lacks of competence

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Splunk full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat innovative technology, very fast growing and successful company with an extraordinary CEO.

ConsGrowing very fast and sometimes not considering the qualification and development of people hired in EMEA obviously being too remote. 'Fear' management.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a closer look at EMEA, the various regional and also culturally-determined differences and follow the Splunk 'Our Values' and some success stories and patterns of other sales organizations of US vendors in EMEA.

Incredible Company

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Splunk full-time

ProsIncredible product, great people, and the right culture.

ConsNothing beyond the obvious difficulties surrounding an incredibly fast growing company

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focusing on the product, the amazing marketing events, and enabling the sales force.

Love it

I have been working at Splunk full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAmazing products, great people, great office!

ConsTypical growing (hyper growing?) pains, empire building, veterans getting tired

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let your new wealth distract you! There's plenty more upside.

Best career choice ever

I have been working at Splunk

ProsCommitted, passionate, fair and experienced leadership team. Fun culture. Amazing products. Exceptional customer relations. "We all must win" could be the mantra illustrating colleagues willingness to share and coach others. No "eagles" flying solo here! Interview cycle is very thorough - makes everyone who makes it onboard feel special!

ConsNone really. Some of what would be expected with a hyper growth company as operational support works to align with sales growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevote more focus and resources to channel development to support scalability of the sales organization. Keep up the conscious effort to maintain the culture as the company grows!

Large Enterprise Sales

Field Sales - Large Named Accounts (Current Employee)

I have been working at Splunk full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat culture, great opportunities, company continues to innovate and execute in all areas. Management encourages it's people to think out of the box and contribute in creative ways. This helps to insure a fun and interesting working environment.

Consnone that i can think of

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing what you are doing - hire well, stay the course

Developer

Seattle, WA

I have been working at Splunk full-time for less than a year

ProsSmall office, family like environment.
Nice plate to work.

ConsNo cons so far. See pros.

Splunk> is a game changer

I have been working at Splunk full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompetitive salary
Great working environment
Great people
Excellent top notch CEO
Excellent product - sells itself
Free beer

ConsThe culture at HQ is definitely not present at some of the other locations in the US - it's almost like going to a totally different company if you go to the Plano, TX office

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget about the little people busting their humps day in and day out

Functioning alcoholics build world class solution. OMG, how'd they do that?

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Splunk as a contractor for less than a year

ProsVERY, "family" like environment. Everyone knows what they are doing. Some of then are genius. Open environment, flexible hours, EXTREMELY supportive and engaged management. Amazing work-life balance most of the time.

ConsDevelopment can be a cacophony of dorm room sound, smell, personalities and drinking at all hours of the work day. Less agile, more waterfall than they should be. They are not as adaptable to change as they could/should be. In fact several people I worked with were down right stubborn and set in their ways. The PM's don't seem to get full cooperation from development.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring good people, but tone down the drinking games and Arena quality sound system a bit.

Worked for Splunk? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Splunk reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Splunk CEO Godfrey Sullivan. All 56 reviews posted anonymously by Splunk employees.