Spokeo

Updated February 4, 2015
Updated February 4, 2015
3.4

Harrison Tang

Growing technology company, great especially for software engineers

I have been working at Spokeo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I can only speak to the engineering side of Spokeo (full disclosure: I am an engineering manager). Here are the pros of working at Spokeo:
      - Great work-life balance. We work hard while in the office and rarely need to work nights and weekends.
      - Technical growth opportunities. The company is growing and we have more projects than we do developers. This means that motivated and smart developers can join and take on larger projects if they demonstrate ability.
      - We care about our code. Our site receives tens of millions of visitors each month, so we don't write throwaway code (or if we do, we consider carefully). We employ code reviews, unit and integration tests, code climate, architecture reviews, pair programming, mob refactoring, and (as much as possible) TDD.
      - We like working with each other. People keep their egos in check here, we work hard but don't take ourselves too seriously. Ad-hoc discussions about architecture, design, and code quality occur every day. Decisions are made based on technical merit not seniority. And after hours we are known to play basketball, magic the gathering, and smash bros.
      - We are constantly improving. We send developers to conferences each year and are always considering newer technology to use in our site (such as Angular.js). We want to see developers work on projects of increasing complexity and assign tasks accordingly.

Cons

We're still developing best practices for our development process, going through the growing pains of transitioning from a startup to a mid-size company, so those who like more structure may be disappointed.

Currently there is no work from home policy.

We have an open floor plan and collaboration is expected, so those looking for a more quiet, isolated environment may not be the best fit.

Horrible Management

I worked at Spokeo

Pros

Catered lunches daily, fully stocked kitchen, casual dress

Cons

Management plays favorites. Promotion is based off how much they like you. High turn around rate. Fake friendly

Calling Out The Racist Haters

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Spokeo full-time

Pros

There are great perks as described by everyone else's reviews. The company operates like a startup without the downsides of a start up such as financial instability, poor hours, bad work/life balance, micro management. I have never worked for a place where it's almost always a 9-5 workplace.

I want to take this opportunity and tackle my viewpoint on some of the negative reviews that have swamped this board and give a more balanced and believable viewpoint on the company.

Video games, board games, card games, watching sports on the common TV are all done during company hours. This is all indeed true. In other words there isn't micro management built into the company culture. I like to think of it as nobody is looking at the people playing games with distain. Nobody is telling them "get back to work" because these people have figured out the concept of time management and can get their work done on time without having a babysitting manager telling them when and how to get their job done.

"Bro" mentality of the developers are overly dramatized. I believe the the negative reviews regarding bro mentality are mistaken for comradery within the development teams. There are a lot of strong personalities at play on the development teams. That being the case, even the strongest personalities would NEVER EVER display any sort of racist, sexist, or derogatory remarks. The company would never under any circumstances tolerate such blatant behavior.

On the racist remarks about the company being predominantly Asian. The company is an equal opportunity employer. We never go out seeking Asian people in particular. The reason I know this is that I am directly part of the hiring process. The company has high standards when it comes to their prospective candidates. It just so happens several of the candidates that make through our interview process and accept offers just so happen to be Asian. I think what bothers me the most about this remark is that when hiring we would never ever look at someone's race, gender, sexual orientation, age, etc. We only look for one thing: 'Can this candidate code?'. We have turned down excellent candidates because they didn't meet our high standards that have gone to work for Google, Microsoft, Netflix, etc. But never once have we turned down a candidate due to anything but their coding ability.

I feel like the point on feeling like a foreigner just because some of the employees speak in Mandarin is completely and utterly racist for what should be the most obvious reasons that I will not dignify any further.

No upwards mobility is completely false. In fact, I completely missed this on first glance on previous posts because it's utterly ridiculous. It's a very simple metric to determine upward mobility at Spokeo: If an employee is good at their job and puts in their time, they will be taken care of by the company.

I believe a lot of these negative reviews to be from bitter former employees that have been let go. Spokeo is a small company of only about 150 people. The company doesn't tolerate employees who can't get their job done but at the same time the company fairly rewards employees who can not only get their job done but succeed in doing so.

Cons

The company's growth has been exponential the past few years. That being said, the company is still figure out the best ways to expand out the company, development process, hiring process, etc. If an employee honestly cared enough about how things were done, they can easily make their voices heard and have a real impact on how things are done.

Growing Company, Great Culture

I worked at Spokeo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company, Growing Company
    Great compensation and benefits package
    Amazing perks
    Flexible work hours
    Friendly and approachable staff

Cons

With all growing companies there are some growing pains and a learning curve

Mismanaged, total scam. All ego, no vision. They buy your loyalty w/ perks.

I worked at Spokeo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They overpay for talent. Working here is an easy way to a high paycheck, but hard to have anyone match it after you leave since the company is a joke.

Cons

This place is a scam. I talked to some people in customer service, you would not believe how awful it is to have to deal with customer complaints. They just field calls about unexpected charges and false advertising. I couldn't work at a place like that anymore.

You have no experience and no idea of what you are doing. You should quit and bring in someone else that can actually build a decent company. Anyone who stays and works for you should be ashamed of themselves, not to mention that they are stagnating professionally.

Horrible company

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Spokeo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's very easy to be hired because of high turnover. The perks, including free lunch almost counteract the nightmarish day to day reality of working at the place. Would be good as a job one might have for a couple of months.

Cons

This company is horrible mismanaged and acquires all of their money via deceptive marketing tactics that anger "customer" base. There is no interest in improving the product, and the only changes that ever happen to the site are because the designers want to blindly follow current trends in webdesign.

The customer service department is managed by a man who throws tantrums, often screaming and swearing , very loudly and publicly into the phone or at overworked underlings. The script for dealing with angry "customers" who call demanding their money back has changed so that phone reps have to make the customers jump through dozens of hoops to get their money back, morphing the entire experience into a Comcast-level of customer service.

There is very much a frat house vibe to the entire place, with managers running around on razor scooters, shooting nerf guns as the people at the bottom toil away, enduring daily harassment from customers.

Listen to the customers.

Work Hard, Play Hard.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Spokeo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work with lots of talented creative people. The work is intense, with intense play time in-between. Food (all you ever need), games (pool, ping ping, etc).

Cons

Growing fast.. hard to keep up with the new faces.

Don't get suckered in!

I worked at Spokeo

Pros

While the outside looks great; casual dress, ping pong tables, pool, free drinks etc. don't be fooled by the outer looking in.

Cons

Very "clicky" no pun intended, if you aren't in their cool little circle, While there are some interesting perks, it would only seem enticing to a student fresh out of school as it's all a facade when it comes to real business. No direction, a slew of oversized egos and terrible project management.

Sure, they hand out raises and money, but at what costs to you? The wrong people are leading departments without the actual qualifications or skills to do so. *design department lead by someone with absolutely no skills besides a rip artist.

Don't relocate your life for them as they'll chew you up and spit you out. Just see the turnover rate!

To sum it up, take these reviews into consideration as well as their multiple lawsuits and fines from the FTC. Absolutely no business ethics, and a bunch of Stanford grads with no real world experience.

Grow the hell up!

This is going to sound mega cheesy...

I have been working at Spokeo full-time

Pros

...but I love coming to work. For the first time. Ever. I pick my own hours, got an amazing macbook pro, 27 inch thunderbolt display, standing desk, amazing free lunch every single day, tons of vacation, and I'm not micromanaged. I finally feel like I'm doing something more than what my job title says on paper. If I want to work on something else or learn a new skill above and beyond my specific job "duties" I CAN. If I want to go to a conference or tech summit they PAY and they encourage it. They sponsored me going to SXSW so long as I presented some highlights from my trip when I returned. Steak dinners almost every week and they send us to tons of sporting events.... not that I like sports, but I'll never say no to free drinks and food. My friends especially love the fact that I work here because I usually get to bring them to everything. It's also the perfect size in terms of my work actually meaning something and not getting lost in the system or projects being canceled just because someone upstairs says the magic word. (Like what would happen in my last corp job). Lastly, they pay a lot. Probably too much.

Cons

Not enough space. They are going through pretty rapid growth and it's kind of a daily struggle for people here. The lunch lines can be long, and the AC seems to be broken more than it's not. Management also needs to do a better job with transparency... they send weekly reports about changes and fixes, but unless you are a developer it might as well be in Swahili. They are also known to promote from within but they aren't so great at showing you exactly how to get there, if your intention is to grow your career here. The office needs to be redecorated and it would be fantastic if people didn't leave razor scooters in the middle of the walkway for me to trip and kill myself on.

Move to a bigger building with higher ceilings, an actual cafeteria, and a working AC unit, and explain updates in layman's terms.

Bad management. No Space to grow.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Spokeo full-time (less than a year)

Pros

the company has free lunch catering everyday, foosball and pool table, nerf gun, casual dress code. They also provide competitive salary and coworkers are friendly.

Cons

very bad management. The founders lack of visions. There is no space for the company to grow. so much politics, unnecessary fighting between founders.

The founders need to grow up!