Spokeo Reviews

Reset
3.2
Harrison Tang

Your Hard Work Will Be Recognized

I have been working at Spokeo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at Spokeo for just over 3 years and my story while unique is not rare to Spokeo. I am one of the employees who started on phones in the Customer Service department and given the opportunity, moved into another role within the company. There are several of these stories at Spokeo and I think that holds great value not only to people searching for entry level jobs, but for anyone looking to join the company. Transitional paths like these show Spokeo's dedication in recognizing that hard work can come from any level and still be viewed as an asset. No matter your work experience, I think that is a value that cannot be ignored in a job search.

I have seen Spokeo go from a relatively small start-up to a growing mid-sized company. Like any other "from the group up" company, they have experienced growing pains. But that is to be expected and as an employee I've witnessed a sincere effort from the founders and upper management to be transparent about their experience and the status of the product, projects, and company as a whole.

I started in Customer Service fielding calls and emails from customers on a daily basis and while (as other reviews noted) there were a number of callers who wished to cancel their service, most of the people I talked to came to the site with the intention of finding someone or reconnecting with a loved one. I can say that regardless of the number of "bad" calls or emails that came through, when you talked to someone who found what they were looking for it more than made up for all the others and gave validity to the product and a sense of pride in where I worked. Prior to Spokeo I had a number of customer service jobs, and I can say that as with any job where you are in constant communication with customers, you are bound to spend the majority of your day solving customer problems...that is the whole point of the job.

I never found working in customer service for Spokeo to be any more taxing than you would expect a support job to be anywhere else. Those who have experience in call centers or managing help desks know the expectations, limitations, and general frustration that can come with a job like that and understand that those
    "tough" interactions account for only a small portion of your overall day.

I've since moved out of the Customer Service department and joined the culture development team. The fact alone that Spokeo has such a role shows their commitment to valuing their employees. On the most basic level, my role in the company is to curate events that promote team bonding and learning, community outreach, and just general employee happiness. Being part of the tech start-up landscape we are constantly in search of not only new talent, but ways to keep our current employees engaged, so a job like mine who's sole purpose is to find new ways to celebrate employee and company achievements only further supports the founders' mission of creating great products with great people.

While Spokeo is a company mainly comprised of young employees with a laid back office, we recognize that we are also young professionals. There is an expectation of respect for self and others, and any violation of this would not be tolerated.

Cons

Like I noted above, the company is still growing and with that you can expect there will be some turbulence, but in my experience its worth the ride.

Great position to develop patience, will need plenty of it.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Spokeo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company pays their employees well and gives good benefits. Coworkers and management are very friendly.

Cons

This position has a high burnout rate, little opportunity for promotion, and is very emotionally draining.

Advice to Management

Focus not solely on customer satisfaction but also on worker satisfaction, then there wont be such a high burnout rate.

Great company with terrible people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Spokeo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Spokeo has a great office, offers great benefits and perks, and have some of the most talented people working for them. Unfortunately, that's where all the good stuff ends.

Cons

While they have great talent they don't utilize them. There are a lot of personality mismatches in the department leads and of the biggest infractions which I have never seen at any company: A superior is married to one of their subordinates and they work in the same department.

Odd. It creates an atmosphere of distrust, bias, and it's just awkward.

There is no order or project management in the company. They try to use Wrike but it fails miserably and when asked about JIRA, they complained it was too hard to set up. Uh, okay, you guys are a TECH company. Deadlines are dates they arbitrarily pick out of the air, feature creep happens way too often, and the scope ... what scope? The guy in charge can just come to your desk, tell you he wants a feature, and you've got to build it right away.

Ignore all your other work ...

All communication is done via email. EMAILS. EMAILS. AND MORE EMAILS. You spend about 80% of your day checking your email. They do random code checks every now and then but that's about it.

Outside of the whole work thing the people are nice - but only from certain departments. Customer Support seem to be the most fun. Every other department seems miserable.

Also, if you like being in situations where they will speak in another language, this is your company. I've sat in meetings where one of the designers will try to explain her work but because her english is terrible she started speaking Taiwanese to get her point across. The rest of us just sat there awkwardly trying to make sense of the whole thing. There are a ton of Asians in this company. Just putting that out there.

Advice to Management

Take a good look at your leads and your team members. There are some amazing people there that can shine if you give them the chance. Stop playing favorite and let the experienced people take charge.

Not a good career move

I worked at Spokeo

Pros

Nothing good for you here.

Cons

Horrible dysfunction and infighting amongst the founders, crap product execution, ftc judgement against them.

Advice to Management

Grow up. Hire experienced people and learn from them.

Growing technology company, great especially for software engineers

I have been working at Spokeo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can only speak to the engineering side of Spokeo (full disclosure: I am an engineering manager). Here are the pros of working at Spokeo:
      - Great work-life balance. We work hard while in the office and rarely need to work nights and weekends.
      - Technical growth opportunities. The company is growing and we have more projects than we do developers. This means that motivated and smart developers can join and take on larger projects if they demonstrate ability.
      - We care about our code. Our site receives tens of millions of visitors each month, so we don't write throwaway code (or if we do, we consider carefully). We employ code reviews, unit and integration tests, code climate, architecture reviews, pair programming, mob refactoring, and (as much as possible) TDD.
      - We like working with each other. People keep their egos in check here, we work hard but don't take ourselves too seriously. Ad-hoc discussions about architecture, design, and code quality occur every day. Decisions are made based on technical merit not seniority. And after hours we are known to play basketball, magic the gathering, and smash bros.
      - We are constantly improving. We send developers to conferences each year and are always considering newer technology to use in our site (such as Angular.js). We want to see developers work on projects of increasing complexity and assign tasks accordingly.

Cons

We're still developing best practices for our development process, going through the growing pains of transitioning from a startup to a mid-size company, so those who like more structure may be disappointed.

Currently there is no work from home policy.

We have an open floor plan and collaboration is expected, so those looking for a more quiet, isolated environment may not be the best fit.

Horrible Management

I worked at Spokeo

Pros

Catered lunches daily, fully stocked kitchen, casual dress

Cons

Management plays favorites. Promotion is based off how much they like you. High turn around rate. Fake friendly

Calling Out The Racist Haters

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Spokeo full-time

Pros

There are great perks as described by everyone else's reviews. The company operates like a startup without the downsides of a start up such as financial instability, poor hours, bad work/life balance, micro management. I have never worked for a place where it's almost always a 9-5 workplace.

I want to take this opportunity and tackle my viewpoint on some of the negative reviews that have swamped this board and give a more balanced and believable viewpoint on the company.

Video games, board games, card games, watching sports on the common TV are all done during company hours. This is all indeed true. In other words there isn't micro management built into the company culture. I like to think of it as nobody is looking at the people playing games with distain. Nobody is telling them "get back to work" because these people have figured out the concept of time management and can get their work done on time without having a babysitting manager telling them when and how to get their job done.

"Bro" mentality of the developers are overly dramatized. I believe the the negative reviews regarding bro mentality are mistaken for comradery within the development teams. There are a lot of strong personalities at play on the development teams. That being the case, even the strongest personalities would NEVER EVER display any sort of racist, sexist, or derogatory remarks. The company would never under any circumstances tolerate such blatant behavior.

On the racist remarks about the company being predominantly Asian. The company is an equal opportunity employer. We never go out seeking Asian people in particular. The reason I know this is that I am directly part of the hiring process. The company has high standards when it comes to their prospective candidates. It just so happens several of the candidates that make through our interview process and accept offers just so happen to be Asian. I think what bothers me the most about this remark is that when hiring we would never ever look at someone's race, gender, sexual orientation, age, etc. We only look for one thing: 'Can this candidate code?'. We have turned down excellent candidates because they didn't meet our high standards that have gone to work for Google, Microsoft, Netflix, etc. But never once have we turned down a candidate due to anything but their coding ability.

I feel like the point on feeling like a foreigner just because some of the employees speak in Mandarin is completely and utterly racist for what should be the most obvious reasons that I will not dignify any further.

No upwards mobility is completely false. In fact, I completely missed this on first glance on previous posts because it's utterly ridiculous. It's a very simple metric to determine upward mobility at Spokeo: If an employee is good at their job and puts in their time, they will be taken care of by the company.

I believe a lot of these negative reviews to be from bitter former employees that have been let go. Spokeo is a small company of only about 150 people. The company doesn't tolerate employees who can't get their job done but at the same time the company fairly rewards employees who can not only get their job done but succeed in doing so.

Cons

The company's growth has been exponential the past few years. That being said, the company is still figure out the best ways to expand out the company, development process, hiring process, etc. If an employee honestly cared enough about how things were done, they can easily make their voices heard and have a real impact on how things are done.

Growing Company, Great Culture

I worked at Spokeo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, Growing Company
    Great compensation and benefits package
    Amazing perks
    Flexible work hours
    Friendly and approachable staff

Cons

With all growing companies there are some growing pains and a learning curve

Mismanaged, total scam. All ego, no vision. They buy your loyalty w/ perks.

I worked at Spokeo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They overpay for talent. Working here is an easy way to a high paycheck, but hard to have anyone match it after you leave since the company is a joke.

Cons

This place is a scam. I talked to some people in customer service, you would not believe how awful it is to have to deal with customer complaints. They just field calls about unexpected charges and false advertising. I couldn't work at a place like that anymore.

Advice to Management

You have no experience and no idea of what you are doing. You should quit and bring in someone else that can actually build a decent company. Anyone who stays and works for you should be ashamed of themselves, not to mention that they are stagnating professionally.

Horrible company

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Spokeo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's very easy to be hired because of high turnover. The perks, including free lunch almost counteract the nightmarish day to day reality of working at the place. Would be good as a job one might have for a couple of months.

Cons

This company is horrible mismanaged and acquires all of their money via deceptive marketing tactics that anger "customer" base. There is no interest in improving the product, and the only changes that ever happen to the site are because the designers want to blindly follow current trends in webdesign.

The customer service department is managed by a man who throws tantrums, often screaming and swearing , very loudly and publicly into the phone or at overworked underlings. The script for dealing with angry "customers" who call demanding their money back has changed so that phone reps have to make the customers jump through dozens of hoops to get their money back, morphing the entire experience into a Comcast-level of customer service.

There is very much a frat house vibe to the entire place, with managers running around on razor scooters, shooting nerf guns as the people at the bottom toil away, enduring daily harassment from customers.

Advice to Management

Listen to the customers.

RSS Feed </> Embed