Spokeo Reviews

Work Hard, Play Hard.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Spokeo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun place to work with lots of talented creative people. The work is intense, with intense play time in-between. Food (all you ever need), games (pool, ping ping, etc).

Cons

Growing fast.. hard to keep up with the new faces.

Don't get suckered in!

I worked at Spokeo

Pros

While the outside looks great; casual dress, ping pong tables, pool, free drinks etc. don't be fooled by the outer looking in.

Cons

Very "clicky" no pun intended, if you aren't in their cool little circle, While there are some interesting perks, it would only seem enticing to a student fresh out of school as it's all a facade when it comes to real business. No direction, a slew of oversized egos and terrible project management.

Sure, they hand out raises and money, but at what costs to you? The wrong people are leading departments without the actual qualifications or skills to do so. *design department lead by someone with absolutely no skills besides a rip artist.

Don't relocate your life for them as they'll chew you up and spit you out. Just see the turnover rate!

To sum it up, take these reviews into consideration as well as their multiple lawsuits and fines from the FTC. Absolutely no business ethics, and a bunch of Stanford grads with no real world experience.

Grow the hell up!

Bad management. No Space to grow.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Spokeo full-time for less than a year

Pros

the company has free lunch catering everyday, foosball and pool table, nerf gun, casual dress code. They also provide competitive salary and coworkers are friendly.

Cons

very bad management. The founders lack of visions. There is no space for the company to grow. so much politics, unnecessary fighting between founders.

The founders need to grow up!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome place to work, great benefits.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Spokeo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Spokeo is a genuinely fun place to be. Everyone gets along really well and the culture is very relaxed but people still do a good job of working hard when necessary. Really awesome benefits: great insurance policy, lots of PTO (and no one is looked down upon for actually using it), and actually fun events on a regular basis.

Cons

Communication can be less than stellar sometimes. There are some minor growing pains but that's to be expected from a small, growing company.

This is going to sound mega cheesy...

I have been working at Spokeo full-time

Pros

...but I love coming to work. For the first time. Ever. I pick my own hours, got an amazing macbook pro, 27 inch thunderbolt display, standing desk, amazing free lunch every single day, tons of vacation, and I'm not micromanaged. I finally feel like I'm doing something more than what my job title says on paper. If I want to work on something else or learn a new skill above and beyond my specific job "duties" I CAN. If I want to go to a conference or tech summit they PAY and they encourage it. They sponsored me going to SXSW so long as I presented some highlights from my trip when I returned. Steak dinners almost every week and they send us to tons of sporting events.... not that I like sports, but I'll never say no to free drinks and food. My friends especially love the fact that I work here because I usually get to bring them to everything. It's also the perfect size in terms of my work actually meaning something and not getting lost in the system or projects being canceled just because someone upstairs says the magic word. (Like what would happen in my last corp job). Lastly, they pay a lot. Probably too much.

Cons

Not enough space. They are going through pretty rapid growth and it's kind of a daily struggle for people here. The lunch lines can be long, and the AC seems to be broken more than it's not. Management also needs to do a better job with transparency... they send weekly reports about changes and fixes, but unless you are a developer it might as well be in Swahili. They are also known to promote from within but they aren't so great at showing you exactly how to get there, if your intention is to grow your career here. The office needs to be redecorated and it would be fantastic if people didn't leave razor scooters in the middle of the walkway for me to trip and kill myself on.

Move to a bigger building with higher ceilings, an actual cafeteria, and a working AC unit, and explain updates in layman's terms.

My first experience taking a job that actually under promised and over delivered

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Spokeo full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great environment and culture. It's neither a big cooperation that drains your soul or an eager startup that demands it. Fantastic benefits and perks where employees are treated very well, but more importantly, I feel empowered to do great work, and feel the management is extremely supportive when it comes to improvement and change. There's no "status quo" or "be a rockstar/ninja" fluff, ego or propaganda. Just a bunch of smart, friendly people doing some pretty darn good work and enjoying themselves along the way.

Cons

It's a startup that's grown up really fast. As a result, lots of processes still need to mature to catch up with the speed at which the company has expanded.

Fast Growing Company with Constant Changes!

I have been working at Spokeo full-time

Pros

Open environment that allows for communication and contact with other departments. Catered lunches, company dinners and events, kitchen full of snacks and drinks, ping-pong, pool tables, and TV area. Provides benefits. Definitely a good mix of personalities. Fun environment.

Cons

Constant changes happening as more people are getting hired to fill positions (biggest issue right now is company is growing faster than the space they currently have to work with). Management doesn't always do a good job hearing out the needs of certain departments and they are not good at being consistent, such as company meetings. Also, sometimes it can be seen that management decisions leans heavily to one direction. They are always constant changing their minds on decisions they previously make.

It shouldn't be left to one person to share the vision of the company. Since Spokeo has 4 founders, why not hear from the other 3 as well. Would be nice to hear their perspectives and ideas on the long-term goals of the company and the departments they manage.

Great perks, but...

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Spokeo full-time for less than a year

Pros

The perks are great. Company dinners, some cool people, casual atmosphere, and employee outings. Benefits are also great.

Cons

The terrible business practices make the job extremely stressful. Customers are always angry, and it's extremely draining to deal with.

If you want Spokeo to be seen as a legitimate business with a good reputation, you need to seriously rethink your business practices because ultimately it's not going to work.

Wish I had not come here! Looking to leave.

I have been working at Spokeo full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have free lunches and somewhat decent benefits package. Open office layout is good for collaborating.

Cons

Already had to pay the FTC off once. Their data (i.e. the core product) is among the worst in the industry. Marketing practices are very shady - they will sell you a report even when there was no data found! Management is horribly inexperienced. Not doing anything remotely innovative or interesting. Don't go here if you want to learn and grow. CEO does not have control of his team. Lots of politics and passive-aggressive infighting.

Grow the hell up! Really. Give your team the tools to do their jobs successfully and the get out of their way. Learn what strategy really is.

software engineer

I have been working at Spokeo

Pros

everyone is very nice, work environment is lay back, start up like environment,

Cons

lack of management, people who work hard to get the job done, output lot of codes show be noticed.

Worked for Spokeo? Contribute to the Community!