Spokeo
www.spokeo.com Pasadena, CA 50 to 149 Employees

Spokeo Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Ray Chen

This is going to sound mega cheesy...

I have been working at Spokeo full-time

Pros...but I love coming to work. For the first time. Ever. I pick my own hours, got an amazing macbook pro, 27 inch thunderbolt display, standing desk, amazing free lunch every single day, tons of vacation, and I'm not micromanaged. I finally feel like I'm doing something more than what my job title says on paper. If I want to work on something else or learn a new skill above and beyond my specific job "duties" I CAN. If I want to go to a conference or tech summit they PAY and they encourage it. They sponsored me going to SXSW so long as I presented some highlights from my trip when I returned. Steak dinners almost every week and they send us to tons of sporting events.... not that I like sports, but I'll never say no to free drinks and food. My friends especially love the fact that I work here because I usually get to bring them to everything. It's also the perfect size in terms of my work actually meaning something and not getting lost in the system or projects being canceled just because someone upstairs says the magic word. (Like what would happen in my last corp job). Lastly, they pay a lot. Probably too much.

ConsNot enough space. They are going through pretty rapid growth and it's kind of a daily struggle for people here. The lunch lines can be long, and the AC seems to be broken more than it's not. Management also needs to do a better job with transparency... they send weekly reports about changes and fixes, but unless you are a developer it might as well be in Swahili. They are also known to promote from within but they aren't so great at showing you exactly how to get there, if your intention is to grow your career here. The office needs to be redecorated and it would be fantastic if people didn't leave razor scooters in the middle of the walkway for me to trip and kill myself on.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove to a bigger building with higher ceilings, an actual cafeteria, and a working AC unit, and explain updates in layman's terms.

Awesome place to work, great benefits.

I have been working at Spokeo full-time for more than a year

ProsSpokeo is a genuinely fun place to be. Everyone gets along really well and the culture is very relaxed but people still do a good job of working hard when necessary. Really awesome benefits: great insurance policy, lots of PTO (and no one is looked down upon for actually using it), and actually fun events on a regular basis.

ConsCommunication can be less than stellar sometimes. There are some minor growing pains but that's to be expected from a small, growing company.

Work Hard, Play Hard.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Spokeo full-time for more than a year

ProsFun place to work with lots of talented creative people. The work is intense, with intense play time in-between. Food (all you ever need), games (pool, ping ping, etc).

ConsGrowing fast.. hard to keep up with the new faces.

My first experience taking a job that actually under promised and over delivered

Software Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Spokeo full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat environment and culture. It's neither a big cooperation that drains your soul or an eager startup that demands it. Fantastic benefits and perks where employees are treated very well, but more importantly, I feel empowered to do great work, and feel the management is extremely supportive when it comes to improvement and change. There's no "status quo" or "be a rockstar/ninja" fluff, ego or propaganda. Just a bunch of smart, friendly people doing some pretty darn good work and enjoying themselves along the way.

ConsIt's a startup that's grown up really fast. As a result, lots of processes still need to mature to catch up with the speed at which the company has expanded.

Fast Growing Company with Constant Changes!

I have been working at Spokeo full-time

ProsOpen environment that allows for communication and contact with other departments. Catered lunches, company dinners and events, kitchen full of snacks and drinks, ping-pong, pool tables, and TV area. Provides benefits. Definitely a good mix of personalities. Fun environment.

ConsConstant changes happening as more people are getting hired to fill positions (biggest issue right now is company is growing faster than the space they currently have to work with). Management doesn't always do a good job hearing out the needs of certain departments and they are not good at being consistent, such as company meetings. Also, sometimes it can be seen that management decisions leans heavily to one direction. They are always constant changing their minds on decisions they previously make.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt shouldn't be left to one person to share the vision of the company. Since Spokeo has 4 founders, why not hear from the other 3 as well. Would be nice to hear their perspectives and ideas on the long-term goals of the company and the departments they manage.

Wish I had not come here! Looking to leave.

I have been working at Spokeo full-time for more than a year

ProsThey have free lunches and somewhat decent benefits package. Open office layout is good for collaborating.

ConsAlready had to pay the FTC off once. Their data (i.e. the core product) is among the worst in the industry. Marketing practices are very shady - they will sell you a report even when there was no data found! Management is horribly inexperienced. Not doing anything remotely innovative or interesting. Don't go here if you want to learn and grow. CEO does not have control of his team. Lots of politics and passive-aggressive infighting.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow the hell up! Really. Give your team the tools to do their jobs successfully and the get out of their way. Learn what strategy really is.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great perks, but...

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Pasadena, CA

I worked at Spokeo full-time for less than a year

ProsThe perks are great. Company dinners, some cool people, casual atmosphere, and employee outings. Benefits are also great.

ConsThe terrible business practices make the job extremely stressful. Customers are always angry, and it's extremely draining to deal with.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want Spokeo to be seen as a legitimate business with a good reputation, you need to seriously rethink your business practices because ultimately it's not going to work.

software engineer

I have been working at Spokeo

Proseveryone is very nice, work environment is lay back, start up like environment,

Conslack of management, people who work hard to get the job done, output lot of codes show be noticed.

Emperor has no clothes

I have been working at Spokeo full-time for more than a year

ProsSingle profitable product company. Casual and fun atmosphere. Good for early careers- first or second job.

ConsNot innovative. Do not believe in research or testing. A lot of time spent creating small features that are not thought through. Bad place if you understand process or have or want to vet ideas. Company is actually run by co-founder, not CEO.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your team do their job. Learn from them. You're smart, but not that smart.

Nice place to work with and feel like a big school

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Spokeo full-time for less than a year

ProsWell you get free and nice lunch and company dinners all the time. People are nice and always be able to get help from work. It's like a fast growing company with start up culture, and really enjoy the time here.

ConsThe management is a little loose and not mature. No 401k (might be having one soon) and not fast-responding to h1b application for students.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's fun and a good life-work balance here, just keep improving and spokeo gonna be a great company!

Worked for Spokeo? Contribute to the Community!

Spokeo – Why Work for Us?

What We Do Spokeo makes it easier than ever to help reunite friends and family, browse celebrities, and discover information about your online footprint, by simply searching a name, address, email, phone or username… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Spokeo reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Spokeo CEO Ray Chen. All 27 reviews posted anonymously by Spokeo employees.