Sport Chalet

Updated Jun 25, 2014

Sport Chalet Chairman, President, and CEO Craig L. Levra

Craig L. Levra

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very traditional company that is not open to change.

La Canada Flintridge, CA

ProsMost employees have been there many years and really care about what they do.

ConsVery few options for growth. It's very difficult to get approval on new non traditional ideas. The salaries are not competitive and it's difficult to get a raise or promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a more open mind to trying new things. Make sure to promote those who deserve it. Try to create a less traditional old school work environment.

Awesome coworkers can't compensate poor management

Analyst (Former Employee)
    La Canada Flintridge, CA

ProsThe people are what make you want to work there. Everyone is amazing, there is also good room for upwards moment...

Cons...because everyone is turning over SO fast. Poor work/life balance, low pay, inept leadership, poor review system, no raises, systems are outdated, and just an overall lack of devotion to a goal or strategy.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople at the top need to restructure. Until that happens the same hole will keep being dug.

stressful

Cashier (Former Employee)
    La Canada Flintridge, CA

ProsYou get a good sense of camaraderie with your fellow crew. The store is beautiful. The HR department was nice. Starting pay was $8.75 for cashiers.

ConsThe stress is palpable, since the store's sales constantly didn't do well. Also, being so close to headquarters made the manager always operate on a constant high stress level. Having multiple store managers allowed for miscommunication.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure all new hires get properly trained. My training day was cut short because my hours were cut. I was never given the opportunity to get another day, so I was expected to learn on the job, during peak outdoor sport season: summertime.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not enough employees to spread the workload

Assistant Buyer (Former Employee)
    La Canada Flintridge, CA

Prosgreat access to product discounts, overall company enthusiasm for high-end products, strong culture of getting outside and being sports and outdoor enthusiasts.

ConsWhether in the stores or corporate office, tough times forced Sport Chalet to survive by spending a minimal amount on labor. Stores were often run on skeleton crews and corporate buying duties were spread thin. Pay was subpar to industry standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe corporate office needs some help. I would recommend a strategy that includes training employees to move to the next level. Lack of layers currently makes the opportunities available at the corporate office slim and advancement and reason to stick around have no appeal.

Not a place to stay long term

La Canada Flintridge, CA

ProsPro Deals are the main reason anybody works at Sport Chalet. Another reason people work here is to stay "in touch" with a sport that they love.

ConsYou are treated like a slave, the managers have no management training and panic at everything. The company has no desire to train anybody and they expect you to dedicate your life to the company. Do not expect to be given a pay raise after 2 years there. It is cheaper for them to hire a new person and just cut your hours to nothing. They claim to be a sporting goods store but do not support their employees if they are in leagues, or even going to school. They will not work around your school schedule or league schedule. Most universities have finals the second week of March. That is when they schedule inventory and you have to go or you will be fired. The management constantly belittles the employees and are taught not to think independently. The management will take returns on anything in fear of being yelled at by corporate. The store is so packed with clothing you cannot walk through clothing pad, which means as an employee you are constantly picking up and reorganizing the clothing due to frustrated customers just shoving product anywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet training for the management, figure out what type of store you want to be. Are you a clothing store or a sporting goods store?

A fun place to work!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    La Canada Flintridge, CA

ProsI enjoy selling the equipment for the sports I love.

ConsI dislike the retail hours as they tend to be very long; dealing with customers who are difficult can be irritating.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe advice I would give senior management would be to keep your head positive in this difficult time.

Worked for Sport Chalet? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sport Chalet reviews and ratings in La Canada Flintridge, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sport Chalet CEO Craig L. Levra. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Sport Chalet employees.