Sport Chalet Reviews

124 reviews filtered by
2.6
Sport Chalet Chairman, President, and CEO Craig L. Levra
Craig L. Levra

Pros
  • Good reputation in the consumer world, pro-deals from major brands (in 22 reviews)

• Fun if you love being surrounded by sports stuff-great discount (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • no raises, sell visas and warranties (in 11 reviews)

• If you are full time you are required to work 2 of the 3 days Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (in 7 reviews)

1. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Sport Chalet

Pros

friendly environment good service organized

Cons

not a good salary not too many hours to work

need more training

2. Great first experience to retail.

I worked at Sport Chalet

Pros

Workshops for products, free sneakers every now and then, as well as a

Cons

Very little opportunity to move up. I often felt that I had to wait for a higher up to move stores to even get a faint glimmer of hope for advancement; however, there was often someone from another store that would come to fill their position.

both loved and hated the job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sport Chalet part-time

Pros

great discounts instore/pro deals from almost all companies we work with.
    Fun, interesting customers
    Coworkers are nice
    great about granting employee time off requests

Cons

Poor corporate culture
    focused on mastercards, rewards program and warranties over sales/customer service
    new owners make everyone from management on down nervous
    uncomfortable work environment

Focus on customer service and product knowledge to make customers happy, not credit cards
    promote product/activity knowledge for employees
    sell guns/ammo, many customers come in for it, and leave when they don't find either.

5. Hard work + zero recognition = poor employee morale!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sport Chalet

Pros

The company does encourage their employees to try out different sports and activities by offering a great rental program for employees for most of the equipment we sell.

Cons

No pay raises throughout the company for the past 4 years, unless you're looking for a promotion within the company. Managers are forced to micromanage their employees since the new owners of the company have forced many hourly labor cuts. By now, most employees (even the ones who have been with the company for 10+ years) have begun looking for or have already found another job.

The floor staff is the primary reason why customers come back to the store - for excellent customer service. Bad employee morale = poor customer service. It doesn't even matter if all the employees get replaced with new minimum waged staff, they'll just end up quitting after 2 to three months, which happens to be the current turnaround time for all new employees.

6. Enjoyed working here at first, but over time and as changes were made per corporate, became understaffed and underpaid.

Former Employee - Department Head
    Former Employee - Department Head

I worked at Sport Chalet full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I originally loved working here, and co-workers were like family. Great employee discounts and sometimes get free products. If you enjoy sports, you can learn a lot of valuable technical information about products.

Cons

Employees are under-appreciated and overworked. Over the 7 years of being employed here, we did more work with less people and less pay. Corporate is out of touch with employee experience. I had a genuine interest in helping and educating customers but found I was not able to due to being understaffed.

Ask for and take sales associates input. Changes were continuously made per corporate that were completely out of touch with allowing associates to assist customers and enhance the customers' shopping experience. Also re-instate annual raises.

7. had a great time working there

Current Employee - Sales in Laguna Niguel, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Laguna Niguel, CA

I have been working at Sport Chalet full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, good co workers, good managers

Cons

They pushed credit cards down our throats

Train us about all the product, dont just throw us out there

8. It is a very fun and enjoyable place to work.

Current Employee - Bookkeeper in West Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Bookkeeper in West Jordan, UT

I have been working at Sport Chalet full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really enjoy what I do at my job. I have had some very great management staff over the 7 and 1/2 yeas I have been with the company.

Cons

In the 7 and 1/2 years with the company I have not received any financial increase in my pay. I know that it was due to a pay freeze but I know that there were others that were given increases. I have never called out sick, been late, I would have to say that is the only down side to my job. The fact that I would liked to have had more than just an at-a-boy, $$ is always a nice thank you.

To look more at the employees as an individual cog on a wheel, no the wheel its self. So many put forth so much to help and do for the company than is seen. I have seen a lot of people be promoted to Department Heads that only did it for the raise, not caring that they were to be the driving force to improve their department. Then when their department was not performing place the blame else where.

Unpleasant work environment

I have been working at Sport Chalet

Pros

If you love working with the public and assisting customers in finding what they're looking for, this is a cake job as long as you can deal with your integrity constantly being in question.

Cons

There are too many "wannabe" managers in the store who prefer to lecture, accuse, and intimidate rather than have a discussion with, trust, and inspire their employees to the point where it negatively affects your ability to do your job. There is a culture of unprofessional conduct, favoritism, and self-righteousness in the Queen Creek store. Sport Chalet was recently acquired by Vestis Corporation and since has considerably downsized the staff hours in an effort to make the stores profitable once again. In addition, there are people who have been there for years without receiving an increase in salary.

Appreciate, listen to, and trust the people you have and they will reciprocate with a positive attitude and a good work ethic.

Just a Job Not A Career

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Sport Chalet full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, energetic place to work. great employees & management. Pro deals, free rentals. Flexible Schedule

Cons

Very pushy on getting people to sign up for credit card (this is all they care about). Pay is HORRIBLE, no raises in 5 years. You can not make a living here its just a side job. Black out days during all holidays. You wont get to see family much @ these times & if you have to travel forget it you wont see them on holidays.Company seems to be in serious trouble. Corporate has no clue. Advertising is wasted in forms of media no one hears/sees any more, or to people who already shop there through email. They dont realize that take care of employees & they take care of you the old you get what you pay for. Turnover will kill you more than paying your already productive people.

Care more about the customers and less about the score card. Sell guns & ammo. This alone could solve your financial issues. I know originally this company was against it, but as the ceo of Nordstroms says its not what we want its what our customers want.

11. Interested in Credit Cards, not customers

Former Employee - Cashier in Marina del Rey, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Marina del Rey, CA

I worked at Sport Chalet

Pros

Fairly easy interview. Decent savings on sports/fishing gear if you're into all of that.

Cons

No matter how well you do, management only cares about how many fraudulent warranties and scam credit cards you sell.

Avoid being so unbearably passive aggressive about every single thing.