Sport Chalet

Updated September 16, 2014
2.4

Sport Chalet Chairman, President, and CEO Craig L. Levra
Craig L. Levra

Pros
  • Good reputation in the consumer world, pro-deals from major brands (in 21 reviews)

• Great discounts and good coworkers (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • no raises, sell visas and warranties (in 8 reviews)

• Only credit cards and warranties is what they are worried about (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun atmosphere

I worked at Sport Chalet

Pros

fun environment
    good for sports minded individuals

Cons

poor compensation unless you work your way up to the top

Management sucks

Current Employee - Footwear Sales Associate  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Footwear Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Sport Chalet part-time for less than a year

Pros

Pro deals, Pro deals, Pro Deals

Cons

Management, score cards, pay, poor store level leadership

Trust your employees that they can sell without stupid scorecards.

not what it once was

I worked at Sport Chalet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great environment, tons of equipment, good apparel and shoes, good rental program

Cons

have wrong focus towards customer service. all about the numbers and not what the company was built on which is taking care of the customer

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

manager

I worked at Sport Chalet

Pros

good times and good riches

Cons

bad times happen when people are crazy

keep up the good times

Good job, bad management

Current Employee - Apparel Department Head  in  Mission Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Apparel Department Head in Mission Viejo, CA

I have been working at Sport Chalet full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good leadership opportunities and perks. Free ski rentals and a decent discount.

Cons

Compensation is low and you don't receive training in other departments even as a manager.

It would be helpful to receive training about other departments.

A lot of changes going on

Current Employee - Retail Specialist  in  San Marcos, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Specialist in San Marcos, CA

I have been working at Sport Chalet part-time for more than a year

Pros

Company just got bought and district manager just quit. Thank goodness. More positive every day

Cons

This company offers no incentive or pay increase

Protect your people

Terrible Corporate system and management team

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sport Chalet part-time

Pros

Great coworkers, Somewhat okay discount, few good managers

Cons

The store is a complete disaster. The Corporate heads are old, out of date, and out of touch with their market research. There is no chance of pay raise, barely a chance of advancement unless you are a "yes man" to whomever decides to have a power trip that day. No acknowledgement for hard-workers. No commission for anything sold but they push you to sell because they get kickback. No benefits as part-time because they can't afford it. No communication and too many secrets in how they advance employees.

Pay attention to hard workers not the pushy used car salesmen type. Get up to date with 2014 and learn from larger sporting goods stores.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Sport Chalet full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed the energy my co-workers had. Made me look forward to coming to work and helped make the time go by quickly. The company likes you to be active and encourage you to participate in different clinics to learn about the products they sell. This is a lot of fun and made me more comfortable as a sales associate having more knowledge. They are flexible with school and family schedules. I never felt uncomfortable asking for time off when I needed it.

Cons

This is a beach community so you get an odd mix of customers ranging from locals to tourists. Full time benefits were so-so. They changed health coverage a little while ago and the new coverage kind of sucks. I disliked having to push visa cards on my customers because management makes you basically harass the customer to get a visa. I wouldn't say that there is much room for promotion unless you work in scuba and need certification to become a dept. head

I did not like having my department gauged against the cashiers for visa enrollment. I felt it was their job as the money takers to push the visa cards anyway. What else are they doing while we are out on the floor selling all the other products. I understand making the other departments sell extra insurance specific to the products in their departments but the visa cards are a little ridiculous. In all honesty I would warn my pleasant customers that I had to offer them a visa card in order to keep my job but I was not going to push it if they didn't want to hear my speech. I would also warn them that they would be harassed by the cashiers about the visa cards so they wouldn't be so put off by the company and my service to them as a customer.

Just OK- Has a lot of potential

Current Employee - ASM
    Current Employee - ASM

I have been working at Sport Chalet full-time

Pros

The company itself has so much potential with all of the options it provides for its clientele. I have worked in two separate stores and I must say they create an environment where it is easy to have fun with your team while you work. I have immediately loved the teams I have worked with.

Cons

The company itself, from a business prospective leaves a lot to be desired. It is stuck in the old days when businesses could just wait for customers to come to them and still make a profit. They seem to be afraid of making changes and that scares me in this economic environment. If you are a driven manager who loves business and thrives on exceeding expectations daily, this company is not where you want to be.

Keep the goals simple. Please stop trying to over complicate business. Measuables are UPT's Conversion and average trans. The message to the team gets convoluted when you try to micromanage what they should be selling on a daily basis. You have a great, loyal customer base. Hold your GM's more accountable and TALK BUSINESS..... not visual merchandising- especially since you leave a lot to be desired in your approach there as well. I want you to be successful and I want to help you get there, but you are holding yourselves back with fear of making aggressive changes. Change your marketing team! I don't see much productivity coming from the money they are spending! ex/ no black friday event last year, but spent over a quarter mill on a catalog of non sale items????? We have book keepers in the stores? We do between 5-15 mill a year in each store, not 50-100 mill. How much money do you lose a year with the ridiculous items that are part of the warranty program-ex/- batting gloves? I don't even need to see your spreadsheets to see what is happening there! And please do not get me started on the price match and the enterprise program. Now there, I would love to see the losses you take on enterprise! I see lots of ways for you to make cuts to the bottom line, yet you are afraid to make change. This frightens me. I want to support you, the company is unique and a phenomenal idea, but it is difficult when you are so willing to let all of this money go to waste and have not given raises for years to your dedicated and loyal staff in your stores.

For experience only.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Sport Chalet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Discounts, variety of products, diverse customers.

Cons

Pay, work-life balance, benefits, incentives, promotion opportunities, hours during holidays.

Core values are gone, it's become a Wal-Mart of sporting goods and soon to be a Kmart if not careful.

Worked for Sport Chalet? Contribute to the Community!