Sport Chek

Updated March 4, 2015
Updated March 4, 2015
3.2

John M. Forzani

Pros
  • Flexible hours, relatively busy(time goes by quick) (in 5 reviews)

• There is a great discount program (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The only person in the store that makes a comfortable living is the Store General Manager (in 3 reviews)

• High turnover, need to foster more of a connection between employees (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great part-time job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ontario, CA

I worked at Sport Chek part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working at Sport Chek while I was completing my university education. It was a great place to work. The management gave employees a lot of flexibility when it came to scheduling and needing time off. It was always a fun environment to work in. The employee discount is fantastic.

Cons

Even though it wasn't commission, there were high sales expectations, which on slow days, were very hard to meet. Not a lot of room for advancement at the store leve.

I worked part time as a sales associate, was an OK experience overall but too much pressure put on staff to meet totals.

Former Employee - Hard Goods Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Hard Goods Sales Associate

I worked at Sport Chek part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Discount on goods, fun environment, good colleagues

Cons

Company philosophy, scheduling, treatment of staff

stop putting so much pressure on low level, frontline staff. Diversify goods selection.

Nice People, Biased Work Place

Current Employee - Clothing Associate
    Current Employee - Clothing Associate

I have been working at Sport Chek part-time

Pros

-Very Flexible Hours
    -Kind people to work with
    -Great Discount

Cons

-Work overtime: Although it is expected during holidays, the company seems to take advantage of the employees by having them work overtime whenever they see fit, even if there is nothing left to do in one's section.

-Poor training: Before getting trained, I had to wait about two and half months. The reason they didn't want to train me is because they preferred me to be out on the floor cleaning and fixing the clothing. However, doing so would lead me to neglect gaining knowledge and being able to sufficiently help customers with their needs & needs to knows.

-Poor Pay: Even though their site says that they give a "competitive salary" it's far from it. They pay you as little as possible (the people I work with as well as myself either make minimum wage or a few cents above it). I do think this reason may be because of the great discount they give us, but they could at least raise the pay more because of the amount of money they make.

-Poor Management/Biased: I've noticed that the management could be better and that they are quite biased. They don't hold up their teaches of giving the complete experience or reinforce it. They also have a bias towards other departments. Even though (on rare occasions) clothing was done earlier before other departments, we were scolded for not working and just walking around since we had other things to do. However, when I would head to the back of the store (where shoes are) I would hear laughter among the footwear/hard goods/cashiers/managers and they were mainly standing not doing anything.

-Lack of Breaks: For a 5 hour shift you do not receive any breaks at all. I am aware that other companies would at least give 15min breaks for 5 hours but Sport Chek doesn't.

-High Expectations/Workload Uneven among employees: Their high expectations (that both employers and managers) know are hard to maintain cause employees to not work as hard as they should as they know that manager may complain but not to a high extent. Ex. When I first started working I helped customers while managing to clean my area well before closing time even on busy days. When I would look at the others in my department their area would be a mess, but they would expect help because of the "team work" idea Sport Chek has. Knowing that I work diligently and quick the manager would assign me more areas to care for than the others in my department.

Please create more breaks for employees and raise the pay. Managers also seem slightly under qualified and should receive better training so that they can be more efficient. I've seen countless times of managers arguing over helping each other out and complaining (even though we're supposed to demonstrate "teamwork") or say their busy even though all they are doing is laughing with cashiers. Just as some employees (not all) are doing their work, I'd hope that managers take their work more seriously and not scold employees for being unable to complete a task even though they've been working hard. Acknowledgement of ones efforts would be nice.

Sales Associate Job

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sport Chek

Pros

Great discount,
    Sports environment
    Awesome people at least in my location
    gives good benefits to full timers including bonuses if the store hits yearly targets.

Cons

pay isn't the best around but the discount makes up for it.

Not a company where you would expect to move up,.

Management doesn't hire managers that are better at my location to keep themselves look better all the time even though the store has missed the target for years.

Give more credit to employees for the good work that is done.

I find the management where I worked did not give credit where it is due for good employees. Only bad behaviour and only when customers would complaign is when managers would get mad and blame employees. Other instances would be things were stolen it was taken very serious.

Some managers also need to watch their behaviour in and outside work towards the employees. For example I saw a fair bit of racism in this company and it seemed like it was fine to the management almost 80% of the time they saw it or was part of it.

good perks

I worked at Sport Chek

Pros

good part time job while going to school

Cons

boxing day sale, long day

Good but not great

Current Employee - Cashier in West Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cashier in West Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Sport Chek part-time

Pros

Extremely flexible schedule. Many employees have been able to take leaves of greater than a month (including myself) and have been able to come back and continue working. Great co-workers and managers as well

Cons

At retail level, opportunities for advancement are grim. As well, salary increases at the end of the year are laughable. As great as the managers and co-workers are, I wouldn't recommend anyone staying here longer than they have to. Get your customer service and sales experience and move on

store manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sport Chek full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

good people great discounts lots of career opportunities

Cons

resources not always available to do a good job

good upper management. CEO and VP's have a clear path and are leading by example

not a bad job I guess

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sport Chek part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

pretty damn hard to lose your job after your probation period although beware of managers cutting hours down slowly and eventually not scheduling you, that has happened but if you do a decent amount of work it wont happen. Flexible hours, relatively busy(time goes by quick)

the discount is very nice but incentives such as contests where u can win money for selling certain items have been taken away.

Cons

Managers are hit or miss typically you floor managers will be young and usually understanding but sometimes your not that lucky, typically your general manager is not the nicest guy especially in my case where the manager strictly works morning afternoon shifts so if you close most days or work weekends you will never see your general manager. In my case the GM would pick favorites and chat them up all day mean while ignoring employees like me even though ive been working there for more then 3 years. The previous GM was just as bad he would sit in the office all day on the phone his friends and play his own ignorant R&b and rap music instead of the cd provided by fgl.

The worst part is the only thing that ever happens to managers is they get a talking to by their boss or they get transfered to another store or promoted in most cases.

Stock rooms are incredibly dangerous, boxes stacked very high and shelving units with product at the top that needs to be regularly accessed, ladders are available but when you are dealing with 3 customers at a time (FGL wants you to be with atleast 2 or 3 customers on a busy day you do not have adequate time to grab a ladder every time you need a different size in something. The fixtures can be dangerous aswell, the shelves especially have fallen many times.

You have to book days off a month or so in advance since the schedules have to be made 3 weeks in advance and sent to head office..

no 15 minute breaks on 5 hour shifts.

max 50 cent raise a year and thats only if your store is over budget.

Also not a great company if you want to move up, basically once your a department manager theres very few opportunities past that.

The best department managers are the ones that make you feel like their friend people who genuinley understand yours strengths and weaknesses as well as things about your personal life so that scheduling can be done appropriately and so the relation between employees can be stronger.

Offer incentives to employees and more product knowledge seminars for EMPLOYEES the general managers and department managers go off to their conferences and come back with like 4 pairs of shoes and a bunch of product to test out, their not the ones selling stuff the sales associates are. Employees used to be able to sign up for product knowledge seminars where sometimes you would get a hefty discount on some stuff or even things like free shoes. BRING BACK PK SEMINARS.

And finally penalize General managers, my store has sent in so many complaints about our managers and nothing has changed.

Good part time job only because of discount

Current Employee - Cashier in North Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cashier in North Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Sport Chek part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Discount is really good, and for the most part they work around any other obligationsuggestions you have

Cons

They do not promote within well, pay isn't great and the yearly raises are a joke. There are tons of better entry level retail jobs out there

Worked up to a management position and remained there for two years.

Former Employee - Department Manager in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

I worked at Sport Chek full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There was a lot of flexibility as myself was a student at the time. There is a great discount program. Good benefits packages.

Cons

Pay was an issue, very small annual raises. Management style is too hands on and less providing support.

More focus on training and career development would help keep good employees in the company. Making the jump from the store level is very difficult with little career path options