Sport Clips Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
3.3

Sport Clips CEO and Director Gordon B. Logan
Gordon B. Logan

Pros
  • fast paced so you make good tips when we are busy (in 9 reviews)

• Environment is generally pretty laid back - no chemical services, and a chill all-male clientele (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no system in place for the verification or reprimand of poor management (in 3 reviews)

• They increase stylists "minimum expectations" constantly so it's harder and harder to make bonuses (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Sport Clips full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I love my job, I've been with the company almost 8 years. Great clientele, owners that are involved, and a chance to really have your voice heard. Advancement opportunities are always available and pay is better than the competition.

Cons

Each store is a franchise, so transferring isn't always easy.

Try to plan meetings in advance

best chain to work

Current Employee - Stylist  in  Pearland, TX
    Current Employee - Stylist in Pearland, TX

I have been working at Sport Clips full-time for more than a year

Pros

fast pace, customers friendly, good atmosphere, loyal customers

Cons

management, timed hair cuts, turnover rate is a little high

Amateurs

Former Employee - Stylist
    Former Employee - Stylist

I worked at Sport Clips part-time for more than a year

Pros

99% male clientele. Great conversation. Sports on tv so there's always something to talk about with the guys in your chair. Better starting pay than other chain salons.

Cons

Depends on the salon. One I worked at was fantastic. The one I just left was horrific. Incompetent, unprofessional management. Owners who allow their immature manager run the show and run the shop into the ground. Hire people who can't cut hair and don't seem to care that they lose customers or that seasoned stylists have to fix other peoples' work and field complaints. Don't follow company standards. No consistency or follow through from management. When the stylists care more than the manager and owner, it is time to hang it up.

Grow up!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

IT WAS OKAY

Former Employee - Manager  in  Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Dayton, OH

I worked at Sport Clips full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Constant clientele. Upbeat work environment.

Cons

Too much emphasis on speed. Not enough pay for managers. COMPLETELY DEPENDENT ON YOUR TEAM LEADER.

Take care of your managers.

Love working at Sport Clips

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Sport Clips full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

i work at a busy store, and we make great tips. We get to wear uniform shirt and athletic shoes for comfort.
    We have training and leadership classes for all team members to attend. The benefits at our store include
    vacation pay after a year, 401K plan (optional), and Aflac plans (oplional). We have advancement opportunity
    with new stores opening up.

Cons

Some times the pay plan changes when a new owner takes over a store. If you transfer to a store with a different owner, ask if you you can keep your vacation time you have built up, or you might loose it.

No benefits Newnan, Ga

Current Employee - Hair Stylist  in  Newnan, GA
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Newnan, GA

I have been working at Sport Clips full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only reason I work for them is the tips.

Cons

On their website they offer medical insurance, holiday pay, vacation pay. Not these owners! There are no perks and commission is hard to reach.

If you take care of your people they will take care of you, otherwise you have a constant change of people.

Not just a job, a career

Current Employee - Area Manager
    Current Employee - Area Manager

I have been working at Sport Clips full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are so many reasons I love working for Sport Clips! First, Sport Clips is a values based company. You can feel it the moment you walk through the door, stylist or client! I love being part of a company that really makes you feel valued and important. Another reason I love Sport Clips is the opportunity for advancement. I started as just a stylist and worked my way up to Area Manager. Of course the dress code is great, yoga pants, gym shoes, and a Sport Clips shirt meaning you don't have to ruin your nice clothes by getting hair all over them. Hourly plus commission for stylists is another positive about Sport Clips!

Cons

In all honesty, I can't think of anything bad about Sport Clips. In other reviews, people have voiced that Sport Clips makes you push retail a lot. It is true, but they will give you all the training and tools you need in order to educate and recommend products to your client. I believe it gives your client a more professional experience. Plus you can make a lot of money on retail commission!

Thank you for making Sport Clips a great place to work!

Excellent place to work if you're a talented stylist

Current Employee - Stylist/Manager
    Current Employee - Stylist/Manager

I have been working at Sport Clips full-time for more than a year

Pros

All cuts & no chemicals. Seeing men and tips and hourly salary are great. Involved owners...always check them out first! Fast paced so the day goes faster too. Fun day with TV's on and lots to talk about with sports on for the clients. Very clean place with vacuums instead of brooms pushing hair through the air. We have padded flooring everywhere and it's wonderful.

Cons

Busy place. You have to want to work hard.

Depends on which location. (give a 5 star to my first location, 1 star to my second)

I worked at Sport Clips part-time

Pros

I worked at my first sport clips for 6 months and LOVED it. Loved the people I worked with, loved my management, great training, and an overall good environment. Not great pay, but I made between $60-150 in tips daily so it made up for it.

Cons

Then I transferred to another location because I had to move. The management was horrible, the people I worked with did nothing but create drama and a toxic environment, and the girls were never told they had to go to training so I spent a good chunk of my days doing free reservices because other people were messing up the cuts. I made terrible tips because it wasn't as nice of an area, so I wanted more hours to make up for that and I was not allowed to work more than 22 hours in a week (although I was told I was going to be working between 35-38 hours) because corporate supposedly told them they had to cut back on everyone's hours. And then they hired two more girls. When I was initially hired (I was interviewed by a district manager) at this location, I was told that I was going to begin assistant manager training because theirs was leaving and I was the most qualified/competent. But then the manager asked her best friend to do it instead. After the manager practically ran the location into the ground, they demoted her and brought in a manager from another location. She was horribly rude and condescending and made a lot of unnecessary policies, while failing to address the real issues. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE.

Some managers are fantastic, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE try to train managers better because both of the managers at my second location were awful.

Best chain salon I have worked for.

Current Employee - Hair Stylist  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Sport Clips part-time for more than a year

Pros

The Sport Clips theme is great!
    Men love the atmosphere with the sports on TV, they really enjoy the MVP and Triple play experiences, and in most cases can get in and out in than 45 minutes or less from wait time to finish.
    Cutting only, relaxed dress code that entails: sneakers, black yoga pants, and whatever style top or vest your location wears....comfy.
    Highest paying chain hourly, plus commissions paid on retail sales.
    For the new to the business or well seasoned stylist there is opportunity here for everyone.

Cons

Stylists only average 24-28 hours per week.
    If you feel you cant sell products it WILL be required, as with any chain, so learn to love it and make extra money.

Stay consistent and earn respect.

Worked for Sport Clips? Contribute to the Community!