Sport Clips

www.sportclips.com

Sport Clips Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Gordon B. Logan

Pros
  • fast paced so you make good tips when we are busy(in 9 reviews)

• Environment is generally pretty laid back - no chemical services, and a chill all-male clientele(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no system in place for the verification or reprimand of poor management(in 3 reviews)

• They increase stylists "minimum expectations" constantly so it's harder and harder to make bonuses(in 10 reviews)

Not just a job, a career

Area Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThere are so many reasons I love working for Sport Clips! First, Sport Clips is a values based company. You can feel it the moment you walk through the door, stylist or client! I love being part of a company that really makes you feel valued and important. Another reason I love Sport Clips is the opportunity for advancement. I started as just a stylist and worked my way up to Area Manager. Of course the dress code is great, yoga pants, gym shoes, and a Sport Clips shirt meaning you don't have to ruin your nice clothes by getting hair all over them. Hourly plus commission for stylists is another positive about Sport Clips!

ConsIn all honesty, I can't think of anything bad about Sport Clips. In other reviews, people have voiced that Sport Clips makes you push retail a lot. It is true, but they will give you all the training and tools you need in order to educate and recommend products to your client. I believe it gives your client a more professional experience. Plus you can make a lot of money on retail commission!

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for making Sport Clips a great place to work!

Excellent place to work if you're a talented stylist

Stylist/Manager (Current Employee)

ProsAll cuts & no chemicals. Seeing men and tips and hourly salary are great. Involved owners...always check them out first! Fast paced so the day goes faster too. Fun day with TV's on and lots to talk about with sports on for the clients. Very clean place with vacuums instead of brooms pushing hair through the air. We have padded flooring everywhere and it's wonderful.

ConsBusy place. You have to want to work hard.

Depends on which location. (give a 5 star to my first location, 1 star to my second)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI worked at my first sport clips for 6 months and LOVED it. Loved the people I worked with, loved my management, great training, and an overall good environment. Not great pay, but I made between $60-150 in tips daily so it made up for it.

ConsThen I transferred to another location because I had to move. The management was horrible, the people I worked with did nothing but create drama and a toxic environment, and the girls were never told they had to go to training so I spent a good chunk of my days doing free reservices because other people were messing up the cuts. I made terrible tips because it wasn't as nice of an area, so I wanted more hours to make up for that and I was not allowed to work more than 22 hours in a week (although I was told I was going to be working between 35-38 hours) because corporate supposedly told them they had to cut back on everyone's hours. And then they hired two more girls. When I was initially hired (I was interviewed by a district manager) at this location, I was told that I was going to begin assistant manager training because theirs was leaving and I was the most qualified/competent. But then the manager asked her best friend to do it instead. After the manager practically ran the location into the ground, they demoted her and brought in a manager from another location. She was horribly rude and condescending and made a lot of unnecessary policies, while failing to address the real issues. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome managers are fantastic, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE try to train managers better because both of the managers at my second location were awful.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best chain salon I have worked for.

Hair Stylist (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsThe Sport Clips theme is great!
    Men love the atmosphere with the sports on TV, they really enjoy the MVP and Triple play experiences, and in most cases can get in and out in than 45 minutes or less from wait time to finish.
    Cutting only, relaxed dress code that entails: sneakers, black yoga pants, and whatever style top or vest your location wears....comfy.
    Highest paying chain hourly, plus commissions paid on retail sales.
    For the new to the business or well seasoned stylist there is opportunity here for everyone.

ConsStylists only average 24-28 hours per week.
    If you feel you cant sell products it WILL be required, as with any chain, so learn to love it and make extra money.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay consistent and earn respect.

I love working at SportClips!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Little Rock, AR

ProsI love working at Sportclips! Sport Clips features a great environment, great pay, and the best clients in the business.

ConsThere is not a downside to working at Sport Clips.

Advice to Senior ManagementOur team leaders are the best!

Great place to work!

ProsI love working at Sport Clips! I love their values and the owner is amazing!

ConsIt's hard to separate the two sometimes because i love what I do.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing! It's obviously working!

RUN

Keyholder/Stylist (Former Employee)

ProsOkay pay to start off with. Male clients which makes for easy cuts and nice tips.

ConsNo raises unless you meet unrealistic goals set forth by company. You could work for many years and never see a raise. Work all the nights and weekends of your life. Management is delusional and expects things from the employees, they would not do.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo raises unless you meet unrealistic goals set forth by company. You could work for many years and never see a raise. Work all the nights and weekends of your life. Management is delusional and expects things from the employees, they would not do. Not much room for advancement either.

I grew out of quick haircuts for my clients...

Store Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosextensive paid training, opportunities for growth,

Conscrazy chain salon nazi's fighting for management positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementReevaluate your new success check system, it's unrealistic

Stylist

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Memphis, TN

ProsGreat atmosphere and fellow employees, provides hourly salary and bonus based on backbar and retail. Store stays busy with customers and services are quick since it is targeted towards men. Hours weren't bad 5-8 hour shifts a day with 2 days off.

Consopen 7 days a week, and closed for major holidays, you don't get to schedule yourself, "frowned upon" to retain or recruit clients when you leave.

loved working at Sport Clips!!

Store Manager (Former Employee) Charleston, WV

ProsI love cutting guys hair, in and out!!!! I enjoyed my customers so much!!
    Work Balance with family life was great!! Work environment was fun!
    tips we fantastic!!

Consits hard to make your bonus!!

Worked for Sport Clips? Contribute to the Community!