Sport&Health

www.sportandhealth.com

Sport&Health Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Mark Fisher

Great Opportunity to learn sales and marketing

Membership Consultant (Former Employee) Frederick, MD

ProsAs a Membership Consultant (i.e. selling memberships) The training provided is very helpful to learn how to create leads via marketing, make sales, and get referrals.

ConsCan be competitive, must be a "self starter" and be willing to go talk to people/local businesses to gain the leads --> sales. Can be very rewarding, and good commissions. Base salary is decent, and they offer health/dental etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to promote more within the company, make sure sales goals are a little more easily attainable each month to help encourage Consultants.

Don't Waste Your Time

Membership Director (Former Employee)

ProsThe best thing about working for Sport&Health is that you receive a free gym membership, but I think you would probably be better off just paying for it.

ConsExpect to be overworked and underpaid. Last year they changed the compensation plan for paying Membership Consultants Directors and the "increase in compensation" resulted in about 95% of the sales staff making far less money. I'm sure the company is saving a ton of money though by not having to pay it's employees half as much as they used too.
    The company is in constant indecision about what to do to solve their sales crisis and they keep changing pricing, rate structure, sales strategy, focus, ect ect. The one thing they haven't tried to work on yet is empowering their employees and giving them a reason to come to work on a daily basis and truly perform.

It's crazy how much more successful everyone was when they all had more incentive (better pay structure for commission). We also used to get rewarded with a sales goal reduction for being ahead for the month which felt awesome. Management decided to take that away too.

Your staff isn't paid enough to recruit talented people. You get to hire mediocre to even worse folks because no one else wants to work for 25-30k a year when they're putting in 50 hour weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is nothing wrong with your sales process stop changing it. You're just confusing your employees.

There is something VERY wrong with how you treat your employees. Give them motivation, make work fun again and stop all the dumb micromanagement that does not help everyone be productive.

Some of your absolutely terrible GMs and MDs are too insulated. They can do whatever they want and make their employees lives much harder than they need to be. That's just another reason why turnover is so high.

avoid sales position at all costs

Membership Consultant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Prosmeeting new people, the employees are usually all really awesome, some of the upper management are ok,

Consthis is a very confused company, they are trying to figure out what it is they need to do to be successful, lots of micro managing, going out like door to door sales man to different companies, not worth the measly salary they give you, you are supposed to make all your money on commission with the sales you make but the commission is so low and unattainable to actually make some real money because prices are too high for what they offer, only moving up in the company is brown nosing

Advice to Senior Managementlower your prices, get rid of all your current sales managers because they are the ones running the show and obviously it is not working

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Do not judge this book by its cover. Integrity is NOT a core value.

Membership Director (Former Employee)

ProsPros? As a membership director, I loved the client interaction and truly feeling like I was helping them get healthier. I also enjoyed training and seeing some of my former employees succeed. However, that had nothing to do with the company. In the beginning, everything is portrayed to you as ideal...work-life balance, 5 core values of: Respect and Care for the Individual, Service Excellence, Integrity, Delivering on Promises, Innovation. The compensation plan also seems generous at first, however, there are many loopholes and "scrubbing" of sales that will prevent you from hitting your full bonuses. Co-workers, especially department heads, bond mostly over complaints about the crappy work environment. A lot of great trainers and group ex instructors have gone through there....but if you can't keep your blinders on to the behind-the-scenes "crony-ism" (as another reviewer pointed out)...you will be so miserable you will have no choice but to quit. Many good people have gotten fired from the company even after serving for 20+ years! Really? Ok...I may as well move onto the cons....because I can't seem to think of anything positive!

ConsWork-life balance for anyone in the Membership Department is pretty much non-existent. 12 hour days with no break, although no longer "required" during open houses and closeouts (5 days out of the month) are the norm. If you as a manager are not there for the duration of the day to "hit goal", you are looked down upon and have to deal with a hostile work environment. I have put in several 12-14 hour days in the year or so that I worked there. Sales goals are set in a way that seem very arbitrary, but mostly designed to not pay out the big bonuses that are "offered". Many co-workers, including myself, have been nickel and dimed out of their compensation. Depending on the club and general manager you are working for, there are various different sales practices, some of which are downright sketchy and dishonest. For example, my team and I were pressured to tell prospects that if they didn't sign up right then during their first visit, we would not be able to offer the same pricing incentives, which was completely untrue. That makes you feel like a shady used-used-used car salesman! The corporate office at times would undercut their own clubs by sending out online offers slashing prices that we could not offer at the club level. And then we would have to be responsible for servicing these new members but get absolutely no credit nor compensation.

A typical day for membership consultants required walking the streets accosting random strangers and car bombing with flyers that end up in the street. Many consultants have to deal with the stress of getting kicked out of apartment buildings and retail parking lots...most consultants that I hired had bachelor's degrees...imagine being demeaned this way on a daily basis?! What's worst is that upper management seem to think it's a badge of honor to be accosted by security and being banned from entering a building/lot. There are many other ways to market that do not require this type of outreach, which many competitors in the industry have completely done away with! Unless you tow the party line in this company, you may as well hand in your resignation. GMs and MDs are parroting the same garbage to each other on the weekly calls, pointing fingers, making you feel like you are just not doing enough when the clubs I've worked at were so poorly managed and staffed that you had directors and sales consultants manning the front desk or sitting in childcare for extended periods of time folding towels and taking care of kids and cleaning up the fitness floor or dealing with member complaints because they cannot get in touch with the corporate member services department.

There is SO much turnover in the Membership Department, so for Directors, it can be a staffing/training nightmare while you have to do the bulk of marketing and selling.

And do NOT sign a non-compete agreement...although, in most cases, it won't hold up in court! So, after you give yourself to this company, and it gets to the point that you just can't deal with the stress and hostile work environment, you quit, they will actually bully you into not working for anyone else in the industry covering about a 100 mile radius...10 mile radius from EVERY Sport&Health Club in the DMV, not just the club at which you worked. I know a former GM who was fired who had to move to Baltimore to stay in the fitness industry because even though he was deemed "not good enough" for Sport&Health, they prevented him from working at any other competitors. Ridiculously petty.

The health benefits are quite expensive. Even at a Director Salary and Comp Plan, I could not afford general health coverage for my family...only dental and vision. The 401k plan is a joke as well too...no matching employer contributions.

This company will use and abuse you. When your CEO does not show up to your annual recognition, something is NOT quite right.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the company's 5 core values were actually practiced, a better work environment would result. If true teamwork was fostered with real leaders, S&H wouldn't have to be so petty with their staff and their members!

Stay Far far away

Membership Director (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsCo workers, meeting new people, working out.

ConsMicro Management, Waste of time meetings, annoying conference calls, cronyism, inept management.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new upper management..stop the cronyism.

Best gym to work for

ProsReally care about the employees quality of life. The trainers have the potential to make over 6 figures which other companies claim but Sport & Health actually proves it. Tons of continuing education opportunities with a genuine focus from upper management to have the most qualified and knowledgeable fitness staff in the area.

Consdon't close on snow days

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing what your doing!

gym atmosphere great, sales atmosphere is horrible.

ProsGreat pay in commission certain months if you hit quota. Get to work out for free and discounts on training and programs.

ConsMonthly sales quotas so if you don't hit you don't get paid. Harassment from management and sr management about how if location does not hit quota it is the employees fault.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees real money, no one can live off of the pay that they pay unless it is membership directors and GM's.

Ideal Work Environment

ProsI am a product of growing within the company. I like that I basically get to create my own schedule and the success of our club and business really resides in the hands of the people who work here. This is an ideal work environment for those that are self motivated and driven and who enjoy working with people and helping them improve their quality of life as well as achieve their fitness goals. The investment into the employees to learn and grow through education is a huge plus! I am constantly recruiting friends and strangers to work here because I am so satisfied.

ConsNo paid Holidays or time off, otherwise the pay and performance incentives are really rewarding if you work hard. Bonus compensation plan is a little unpredictable at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate consistency between clubs so that an employee can easily transition to other roles or clubs within the same company.

Fun Company with Great Opportunities for Growth

Membership Director (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsSo far Sport&Health has treated me very well. I like the company and most of the folks I work with. Our motto is that "We Improve Lives" and I feel like I get to do that on a daily basis. We have many opportunities for growth and prefer to promote from within the company.

ConsThe only downside to this job is finding balance in life. I love what I do here and sometimes it takes over my life. Also when I'm not working I'm usually doing something to workout and between the two I feel like they just dominate my time.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake vacation time more plausible for your employees with a monthly sales goal.

I love working with different crowds and being able to meet new people

Front Desk Attendant (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsNetworking, meeting new people, free gym membership, discount on services, bring in 1 free guest

ConsPay isn't so great, everyone isn't on the same page, doesn't always feel like a team, need more holiday's off, should have assistant general managers

Advice to Senior ManagementAll sport & health's should follow all the same rule and correspond to each other

Worked for Sport&Health? Contribute to the Community!