Sport&Health

Updated September 23, 2014
2.8

Mark Fisher

Good company

I have been working at Sport&Health

Pros

Great people and atmosphere. Reward for performance.

Cons

Lots of Micro-managing and no work/life balance

You make what you want out of it

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Sport&Health part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to make your own hours, the commission structure is fair for trainers. The people, for the most part are friendly

Cons

Work-Life balance, always encouraging you to get new clients even when you are full

Communicate with employees more about what goals are and what you are doing to achieve them

Decent Sales Job

Current Employee - Membership Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Sport&Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can really do whatever you want all day, not really micromanaging

Cons

Long hours, lots of weekend working.

Keep doing what you are doing

It was awesome loved the people

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Washington, DC

I worked at Sport&Health part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free membership and really nice people

Cons

Hot room and some of the kids are energetic

Be nice

The position of membership consultant is not for everyone. I didn't enjoy it at all

Former Employee - Membership Consultant in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Membership Consultant in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Sport&Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people that work at the club are great, General Manager, membership folks, trainers and housekeeping, everyone is great and they're all super friendly! For Membership Consultants they try to give you all the tools and the training that will help you be successful in the position.

Cons

Pay is low for all the ridiculous tasks they ask you to do. Commissions potentially make the paycheck better, but it is mad hard to reach the goals they set up. They will have you out in the street trying to get people's names and numbers, putting flyers on cars and door hangers, so keep this in mind before accepting the job. If you do enjoy the job, it will consume over your life, you will always find yourself marketing for the club and will always have their stuff in you car.

Rethink the approach systems you have as far as acquiring new leads. People do get annoyed about being called so many times. You could also better use the time of your membership consultants instead of having them put flyers on cars and door hangers. Hours can be a little too intense and the Directors always seem to be stressed about meeting their goals.

SuckFest

Former Employee - Personal Trainer
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer

I worked at Sport&Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cool Uniform, free membership. Co-workers are friendly and honest people

Cons

Under payed, overworked, benefits are expensive once eligible to receive, 401k is a joke since the company doesn't match what you put in

Don't Waste Your Time

I worked at Sport&Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best thing about working for Sport&Health is that you receive a free gym membership, but I think you would probably be better off just paying for it.

Cons

Expect to be overworked and underpaid. Last year they changed the compensation plan for paying Membership Consultants Directors and the "increase in compensation" resulted in about 95% of the sales staff making far less money. I'm sure the company is saving a ton of money though by not having to pay it's employees half as much as they used too.
    The company is in constant indecision about what to do to solve their sales crisis and they keep changing pricing, rate structure, sales strategy, focus, ect ect. The one thing they haven't tried to work on yet is empowering their employees and giving them a reason to come to work on a daily basis and truly perform.

It's crazy how much more successful everyone was when they all had more incentive (better pay structure for commission). We also used to get rewarded with a sales goal reduction for being ahead for the month which felt awesome. Management decided to take that away too.

Your staff isn't paid enough to recruit talented people. You get to hire mediocre to even worse folks because no one else wants to work for 25-30k a year when they're putting in 50 hour weeks.

There is nothing wrong with your sales process stop changing it. You're just confusing your employees.

There is something VERY wrong with how you treat your employees. Give them motivation, make work fun again and stop all the dumb micromanagement that does not help everyone be productive.

Some of your absolutely terrible GMs and MDs are too insulated. They can do whatever they want and make their employees lives much harder than they need to be. That's just another reason why turnover is so high.

avoid sales position at all costs

Current Employee - Membership Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Sport&Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

meeting new people, the employees are usually all really awesome, some of the upper management are ok,

Cons

this is a very confused company, they are trying to figure out what it is they need to do to be successful, lots of micro managing, going out like door to door sales man to different companies, not worth the measly salary they give you, you are supposed to make all your money on commission with the sales you make but the commission is so low and unattainable to actually make some real money because prices are too high for what they offer, only moving up in the company is brown nosing

lower your prices, get rid of all your current sales managers because they are the ones running the show and obviously it is not working

Do not judge this book by its cover. Integrity is NOT a core value.

I worked at Sport&Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pros? As a membership director, I loved the client interaction and truly feeling like I was helping them get healthier. I also enjoyed training and seeing some of my former employees succeed. However, that had nothing to do with the company. In the beginning, everything is portrayed to you as ideal...work-life balance, 5 core values of: Respect and Care for the Individual, Service Excellence, Integrity, Delivering on Promises, Innovation. The compensation plan also seems generous at first, however, there are many loopholes and "scrubbing" of sales that will prevent you from hitting your full bonuses. Co-workers, especially department heads, bond mostly over complaints about the crappy work environment. A lot of great trainers and group ex instructors have gone through there....but if you can't keep your blinders on to the behind-the-scenes "crony-ism" (as another reviewer pointed out)...you will be so miserable you will have no choice but to quit. Many good people have gotten fired from the company even after serving for 20+ years! Really? Ok...I may as well move onto the cons....because I can't seem to think of anything positive!

Cons

Work-life balance for anyone in the Membership Department is pretty much non-existent. 12 hour days with no break, although no longer "required" during open houses and closeouts (5 days out of the month) are the norm. If you as a manager are not there for the duration of the day to "hit goal", you are looked down upon and have to deal with a hostile work environment. I have put in several 12-14 hour days in the year or so that I worked there. Sales goals are set in a way that seem very arbitrary, but mostly designed to not pay out the big bonuses that are "offered". Many co-workers, including myself, have been nickel and dimed out of their compensation. Depending on the club and general manager you are working for, there are various different sales practices, some of which are downright sketchy and dishonest. For example, my team and I were pressured to tell prospects that if they didn't sign up right then during their first visit, we would not be able to offer the same pricing incentives, which was completely untrue. That makes you feel like a shady used-used-used car salesman! The corporate office at times would undercut their own clubs by sending out online offers slashing prices that we could not offer at the club level. And then we would have to be responsible for servicing these new members but get absolutely no credit nor compensation.

A typical day for membership consultants required walking the streets accosting random strangers and car bombing with flyers that end up in the street. Many consultants have to deal with the stress of getting kicked out of apartment buildings and retail parking lots...most consultants that I hired had bachelor's degrees...imagine being demeaned this way on a daily basis?! What's worst is that upper management seem to think it's a badge of honor to be accosted by security and being banned from entering a building/lot. There are many other ways to market that do not require this type of outreach, which many competitors in the industry have completely done away with! Unless you tow the party line in this company, you may as well hand in your resignation. GMs and MDs are parroting the same garbage to each other on the weekly calls, pointing fingers, making you feel like you are just not doing enough when the clubs I've worked at were so poorly managed and staffed that you had directors and sales consultants manning the front desk or sitting in childcare for extended periods of time folding towels and taking care of kids and cleaning up the fitness floor or dealing with member complaints because they cannot get in touch with the corporate member services department.

There is SO much turnover in the Membership Department, so for Directors, it can be a staffing/training nightmare while you have to do the bulk of marketing and selling.

And do NOT sign a non-compete agreement...although, in most cases, it won't hold up in court! So, after you give yourself to this company, and it gets to the point that you just can't deal with the stress and hostile work environment, you quit, they will actually bully you into not working for anyone else in the industry covering about a 100 mile radius...10 mile radius from EVERY Sport&Health Club in the DMV, not just the club at which you worked. I know a former GM who was fired who had to move to Baltimore to stay in the fitness industry because even though he was deemed "not good enough" for Sport&Health, they prevented him from working at any other competitors. Ridiculously petty.

The health benefits are quite expensive. Even at a Director Salary and Comp Plan, I could not afford general health coverage for my family...only dental and vision. The 401k plan is a joke as well too...no matching employer contributions.

This company will use and abuse you. When your CEO does not show up to your annual recognition, something is NOT quite right.

If the company's 5 core values were actually practiced, a better work environment would result. If true teamwork was fostered with real leaders, S&H wouldn't have to be so petty with their staff and their members!

Stay Far far away

Former Employee - Membership Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Membership Director in Washington, DC

I worked at Sport&Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co workers, meeting new people, working out.

Cons

Micro Management, Waste of time meetings, annoying conference calls, cronyism, inept management.

Get new upper management..stop the cronyism.

Sport&Health Photos

All new employees are introduced to Sport&Health's company culture and mission of Improving Lives in our interactive Kick Off Day training.
Mark Fisher, President & CEO of Sport&Health, was recently featured in the Washington Business Journal's Executive Profile!

+ Add Photo