Sports Authority

www.sportsauthority.com

Sports Authority Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated May 30, 2014

Michael E. Foss

Pros
  • The employee discount is acceptable, but basically in line with other retailers (in 50 reviews)

• Cost plus 10% days (which brings the price down to what you would pay at Walmart but hey, we appreciate your hard work (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Customer service is supposed to be primary focus but company gives you no tools to do so (in 31 reviews)

• Upper management sets ridiculous sales goals that are very very tough to reach (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights
37 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Asset Protection Dept promises a lot but do not come through with promises.

Asset Protection Area Agent (Current Employee) Calumet City, IL

ProsThe discount, benefits are great

ConsUpper management is inconsisant and there is no training

Tedious work

Footwear Associate (Current Employee) Vernon Hills, IL

ProsIt was relatively fun environment

ConsHad to stay late to close and it was very tedious, annoying work

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so uptight about appearance, focus more on sales.

Sports Authority Elite!!

Sales Enthusiast (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCo-workers, Training, Managers, Discount, Great atmosphere

ConsRoller-coaster periods of sales. Its not every day or week you are able to perform your best due to time when the store is dead empty. Other than that, I can't think of any cons.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible

Cashier Lead (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsDiscount of up to 50% is pretty great.

ConsWorking there in general sucks.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees what you are being paid if you expect them to do your job for you.

Don't waste your time

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Lombard, IL

ProsYou get to talk about sports all day it's a good entry level job into retail and there are some very few and far between real chance at growth
    Benefit packages for full time were great

ConsTo busy pushIng sales to let people express themselves and become good employees/salesman

Also still in the stone ages on everything from general day to day technology to even employee uniform witch hurts the store in more ways that you can imagine

And they promise great pay increases that seem to never happen
    Also There was no reason for me to be a full store sales manager and still make less hourly then some sales/cashiers because you never promoted them and kept them around for 5-10 plus years and no to mention there not just WAY TO OVERPAID they suck at there jobs and are lazy and now it's my job to try and change there laziness you allowed them to become for so long oh or get rid of them as I was told

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade your crapy register system spend the money stop being cheap and trying to fix the old one
    Look at how dicks is doing there uniforms and I think they r doing it right since they happen to be killing you
    Keep your managers happy start with there paychecks cause 90% are not the other ten have been there forever and again they suck get rid of them yourself
    Update your stores look it's old and out of date
    Stop budget cutting ur not saving money ur affecting the customers service there is not reason to be 4 people up and 4 down on a Saturday is that a bad joke for a huge retail store or what
    And many many more things as well!!!!!

Boring retail job

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Plano, IL

ProsTypical customer service job that allowed some work experience. Also being able to meet with a variety of people daily.

ConsLazy co-workers that make the job more complicated than it has to be. Also, it's a retail job that didn't seem to pay well for the amount of work to be done.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

A great opportunity to advance for those willing to work hard and learn!

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Schaumburg, IL

ProsOpportunity to learn and advance!

ConsMany, many hours once you become salaried!

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to what your store staff is telling you because they are the ones with their hand on the preverbal “pulse” of the consumer!

Worst Company! I wish I can give no stars!

Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYou might make great friendships with co workers.

ConsThe structure of what they based on good customer service is horrible! They think that annoying their customers with emails and rewards cards will make customers happy by providing at their store no floor coverage or hours will guarantee a happy customer. First work on creating a better environment to your employees. Why not? It creates a happy environment which in return will create happy customers. Don't threaten employees their job if their enrollment percentage is low or not enough CEI ECP ect. Work on training your employees on the product you sell especially if you sell "high quality items". But don't force them to sell one product that's how you will create a loyalty with the customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementI really don't have one this is by far the worst company I ever worked for. They are idiots! I am so happy I am working somewhere else doing what I love. If you want to work here please look some where else. Don't waste your time here. I am so happy I can enjoy time with my family on the holidays now. I worked here for over 5 years.

When will the sale be completed/

Management (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI have a job to support my family. For now.
    Cost plus 10% days (which brings the price down to what you would pay at Walmart but hey, we appreciate your hard work!)

Conswhere to start?
    Scheduling to minimum hours=management only works 32 hours a week...nice paycut!
    Part time staff, which is supposed to be 60% of the workforce, gets 10 hrs a week
    Part time staff makes minumum wage with a chance at a raise once a year....for 17 cents Per Hour
    Company is doing so poorly that stores that would have been on action plans in the past are top performers....gotta love the bell curve!
    New Small store format? at the rate we are going, all stores will have the sales of a small store format
    seasonal directives are changed daily
     4 updates to outdoors in a two week period? and no clue as to what goes where?
    Work load goes up, hours available to complete mandated changes to store layout are no longer available. (minimum hours required regardless of tasking required) and dont forget corporate visitors!
    CEI expectation is that 71% of the customers surveyed must be "highly satisfied" and mention names on the survey. ? 71% of the customers never see an associate except the cashier in most stores.
    most comments left from customers are " couldnt find anyone on the floor,( nobody scheduled) couldnt find anyone to open fitting rooms, couldnt find what i was looking for (because it is in the backroom)

Loyalty signups expected to be at a minimum 35% conversion......if below you need to have "conversations with your underperformers", run clinics, doesnt matter if the day before you ran a 50%, hey, the cashiers are running the store from the frontend while the managers are working frieght. too much room for fraud..asset protection is looking for loyalty abuse rather than stopping that guy who just ran out the front doors with an arm full of North Face and Nike shoes

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your employees. they are frustrated and out looking for a different job.

Okay for retail

Cashier (Former Employee) Deer Park, IL

Pros-Spiffs and bonuses
    -Fun inventory
    -Pretty easy job when there isn't any stress

Cons-Every other week our focus was on something new. If it wasn't selling insoles, it was getting email addresses, if it wasn't email addresses, it was warranties oh, and then the fun days where you were expected to: Sign everyone up for the loyalty card, get insoles, get warranties and convince them to go online and give the store a 5 rating.

Advice to Senior Managementstop being so focused on all the extras

Worked for Sports Authority? Contribute to the Community!