Sports Authority

www.sportsauthority.com

Sports Authority Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Michael E. Foss

Pros
  • The employee discount is acceptable, but basically in line with other retailers(in 50 reviews)

• Cost plus 10% days (which brings the price down to what you would pay at Walmart but hey, we appreciate your hard work(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Customer service is supposed to be primary focus but company gives you no tools to do so(in 31 reviews)

• Upper management sets ridiculous sales goals that are very very tough to reach(in 31 reviews)

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSelling sports equipment and spreading your knowledge of the products to the customers. Pretty laid back. Don't try to steal.

ConsManagement puts stupid demands for ecp's. Extended Coverage Plans. Associates would probably try harder if their were more and bigger incentives.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange isn't always good.

Alright start

Prosmost of the people I worked with are nice. Good place for first job. Hiring process was fast.

Constraining or lack there of I was thrown in to the fire when I first joined. They don't take steps to teach you procedures they just hold you accountable and assume you know everything.

Advice to Senior Managementtraining

Horrible Place to work!

Cashier (Former Employee) Fort Collins, CO

ProsA few great co-works and mangers.

ConsManagement was a joke! Some individuals in management positions should not have been placed there. If something was their fault they would turn it right around and blame it on you. Number driven, it did not matter if your numbers were great the previous day, management seemed to never be satisfied. Pressure to keep numbers and reach goals based on the SCALES system was a stressful because they would threaten to lower you hours.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice Opportunity to Get Experience in Retail Industry

Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) Sarasota, FL

ProsPretty fast-paced environment. Fellow employees were generally young and interested in sports, so if you fit that mold it was a very fun place to work. You also get an idea of what the retail industry is like. Depending on what department you are in, you could get neat perks (I got discounts on Asics shoes and won a heart-rate monitor). The general discount on merchandise is awesome as well.

ConsI can't think of any cons that aren't intrinsic to working in retail. There are obviously going to be annoying customers, but you'll find that everywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate changes better to employees working in stores.

I worked as an associate on the technical level 1 help desk, working with all corporate and store systems

Support Services Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Englewood, CO

ProsThe help desk has a great team and I learned a lot about Point-of-saie systems.

ConsThe leadership team was not very supportive of those of us on the help desk.

My experience working for Sports Authority has been nothing but a great experience.

ProsGood people and a great discount.

ConsThe pay could always be better.

Annual Review

Outdoors/Fitness/Service Tech (Former Employee) Moreno Valley, CA

ProsIt's a fun environment, you get to work with athletic people and help people who want to get out and have fun.

ConsThe pay is pretty slim. Reviews come once a year so the opportunity to make more money more quickly isn't very easy

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sports teams to compete against other stores.

Lesson Learned!

Information Services Resource (Current Employee) Englewood, CO

ProsCasual work attire. Gym, basketball court onsite, other nice benefits such as career training, etc. They do employee surveys and do try to improve various areas that stand out as needing improvement such as WFH (now being piloted in the IS group, although oddly not everyone is allowed to participate). Community support and involvement is impressive.

ConsRepeated Leadership and Department reorgs cause confusion, distraction and delayed progress across the board. As an example, in the couple of years I've been here, we've had 2 different company Presidents, 3 CIOs, in IS there are 2 new VPs, 1 VP fired (not backfilled) and a major reorganization of each department. Several of the managers comment that they have no clue what the goals are. The approval and escalation paths are blurry. Several groups asked to cut their budgets, but then they hire contractors to the tune of well over a $1M (who is getting the kickback on that one??); highly suspect. Processes are in infantcy stage in most regards and painfully manual, best practices seem more like a recommendation than a requirement. Employees are allowed to literally throw fits in meetings and be very mean. Incredibly unprofessional atmosphere in several departments. Financial practices are questionable.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluate and understand the impact of your actions/decisions. Hire managers/directors that are familiar with industry standards. Stop making it up as you go!

Flexible with schedule and great discount

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Sandy, UT

ProsVery flexible with scheduling, great discount

Conslow on hours to give associates

Advice to Senior Managementgive stores more payroll hours so there can actually be help for the customers

A mess from the start

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was a job dealing with sports if you like sports.
    Very good discount on apparel, shoes, and sports equipment

ConsThree of the five managers were a complete mess. Years and years of mediocrity were starting to catch up with this store as everything was unorganized.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your associates and actually DO everything you make them sign saying they did when they are hired.

Worked for Sports Authority? Contribute to the Community!