Sports Authority Reviews

Reset
2.9
Sports Authority Chief Executive Officer Michael E. Foss
Michael E. Foss

Pros
  • Employee discount is really good (in 59 reviews)

• Cost plus 10% days (which brings the price down to what you would pay at Walmart but hey, we appreciate your hard work (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • The goals they set for sales, loyalty cards, extended coverage plans, selling stuff online (AOS) are so unrealistic and out of the employees control (in 17 reviews)

• Upper Management changes happen often (in 34 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Outdoor Manager

I worked at Sports Authority full-time

Pros

Amazing training during my first few days on the job, very trustworthy co-workers and supervisors. Great pay for a retail store.

Cons

Hours during the holiday can be long and and fluctuates throughout November and December, but I knew that i would expect that due to the busiest time of the year for Sports Authority.

Advice to Management

Great staff, very knowledgeable, willing to help with work no matter the size of job or the department. Fun and somewhat stress free environment!

2. Sports Authority Review

Pros

Friendly and relaxed work environment. Great coworkers.

Cons

Scheduling is not always consistent, and pay could be better after a year of work.

3. Sales

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, WA

I worked at Sports Authority part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good in-store discount Great co-workers made some good friends here Fun environment with a lot of sales challenges with prizes to be won

Cons

Management Promote the wrong people. Literally 4 people in my department quit the same month. Expect so much out of you for how much they pay.

Advice to Management

Train your employees before you throw them out on a busy weekend especially it was my first retail job but luckily I'm a sneaker head and could sell shoes easily.

5. Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time

Pros

Benefits such as employee discount; volunteer activities; sporting activities beyond the office; the people here are amazing

Cons

Company is more than 15 years behind in its systems, making it difficult to do a job efficiently. Too many chiefs assigned to single projects, few workers to get the actual job done, but little understanding from the chiefs as how to accomplish the task so unreasonable deadlines are set. This forces team to create new inefficient processes just so they are able to meet a deadline. This is unsustainable long-term, but it keeps happening over and over again.

Advice to Management

Build the I.S. function with quality experience and increase the team size. Programmers with knowledge of our business need to be given more autonomy to work closely with the end users to research issues and build long-term solutions rather than patches that will cause future issues.

6. Fun environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Eureka, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Eureka, CA

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, good people, all in all not a bad job at all. Exciting to get new products and the very generous discount is also a nice perk.

Cons

Low pay, minimal advancement, no true commissions just small spiffs, constantly changing work hours, folding clothes can get a bit boring

Advice to Management

Pay sales on commisson, provide more opportunity, but all in all keep up the great work. Great training both in person and on the computer

7. Great times

Former Employee - Team Lead in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Sports Authority (More than a year)

Pros

The People are really fun to work with.

Cons

The lack of direction as far as where the sporting good industry is headed... 32 hours max for full time associates and no overtime is not good .

Advice to Management

Get back to basics , rid yourselves of metrics, they only make store leadership stressed out.

8. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dublin, CA

I worked at Sports Authority part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people and atmosphere were the best for me as it made it easy to become more invested in the job. You were more willing to go above and beyond when your employees are friends as well I found. Management team was very open, friendly but realistic which I found refreshing. Discounts are really good especially for the big one's that come across a few times a year.

Cons

There never seemed to be career advancement opportunities presented to long-standing employees whether it be the consistency in which they brought it up to employees they were initially interested in or following through with starting the training process to get employees ready for positions once they opened up. Pay is adequate, though could've been a little bit more to make it worth more. Lots of people I knew just did the bare minimum to get their paycheck. Incentives/spiffs not as good as they used to be.

Advice to Management

Allow associates to shadow you while you're handling a specific case this way they can get different viewpoints for how to approach certain customers in certain situations to develop them faster. Start employees through the process of advancement so that way the one's that are interested feel as though they are moving up in some way even if they are waiting for an opening so that way they don't stagnate and then fall-off to doing the bare minimum. Pay could be a little bit higher.

9. What to say?

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time

Pros

Fun place to work if you like sports. Nice discount.

Cons

Depending on the store you could have a great time or a horrible one. Company is not consistent in running stores.

Advice to Management

Take more care of your associates.

10. Senior Sales Authority

Pros

Flexible schedule, nice to earn money by selling items.

Cons

sometimes unrealistic goals, management can be tight knit and play favorites

Advice to Management

respect all employees.

11. An easy-going retail experience.

Current Employee - Sales Authority in Boynton Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Authority in Boynton Beach, FL

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The friends you make there will make up for the godly slow hours that have yet to come on boring days. Managers are fantastic and good spirited. Store managers always pushing confidence and employing new tactics for employees to use. Very helpful.

Cons

The hours for part-time are quite minimalistic. I wish they'd supply more part-timer employees with a substantial amount of hours; somewhere around 30? Currently receiving around 20 a week.

Advice to Management

Wish the store manager would be more approachable.

RSS Feed </> Embed