Sports Authority Reviews

Reset
2.9
Sports Authority Chief Executive Officer Michael E. Foss
Michael E. Foss

Pros
  • Employee discount is really good (in 59 reviews)

• Cost plus 10% days (which brings the price down to what you would pay at Walmart but hey, we appreciate your hard work (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • The goals they set for sales, loyalty cards, extended coverage plans, selling stuff online (AOS) are so unrealistic and out of the employees control (in 17 reviews)

• Upper Management changes happen often (in 34 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Outdoor Manager

I worked at Sports Authority full-time

Pros

Amazing training during my first few days on the job, very trustworthy co-workers and supervisors. Great pay for a retail store.

Cons

Hours during the holiday can be long and and fluctuates throughout November and December, but I knew that i would expect that due to the busiest time of the year for Sports Authority.

Advice to Management

Great staff, very knowledgeable, willing to help with work no matter the size of job or the department. Fun and somewhat stress free environment!

2. Sports Authority: Solid Foundation, Questionable Additions

Current Employee - Fitness Specialist in Union, NJ
    Current Employee - Fitness Specialist in Union, NJ

Pros

Its obvious that this company was founded on the belief that they are there for the everyday athlete/ outdoor enthusiast. The company has stood the test of time, successfully acquiring two large competitors, and dodging a few punches, thanks lennord green.

Cons

Over emphasis of Big Foot, ECP's and add ons

Advice to Management

DEVELOMENT OF COUSTOMER LOYALTY. There is little that I can think of that is as important than this. In theese tough time people are becoming very particular about where they shop. Show them tey were right to put their trust in TSA

3. Good place for first job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Has a laid back atmosphere, easy to get along with people. Flexible when it comes to needing days off. I enjoyed working there.

Cons

Manager would get on us to sell warranties, I am not much of a sales person so I didn't enjoy that much, but if you can deal with pressuring people to buy warranties then you have nothing to worry about.

Advice to Management

Although I did not like selling warranties I understand this is a business. Besides that I enjoyed everything about sports authority.

5. A pretty great time

Current Employee - Cash Lead in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Cash Lead in San Diego, CA

Pros

great benefits, great discount, rewards you based on performance, fun people to work with, lots of opportunities for promotions

Cons

pay is ehh, customers DO NOT KNOW that the website is totally different than the store so it causes a lot of problems for us, there are some super weird people that shop there

Advice to Management

put a huge sign outside that says website is totally different from store

6. Good atmosphere with opportunities to learn more if you want to

Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Waipahu, HI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Waipahu, HI

Pros

good benefits and employee discount

Cons

not much room for pay increase, they are pretty tight with their money

Advice to Management

give opportunity for growth and encourage often.

7. Working at Sports Authority continually proves to be a positive working and learning environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Franklin, WI

Pros

Following the policy changes from the last few years, Sports Authority has grown to be an enjoyable work environment where employees are able to learn as they go, are HIGHLY praised for their work through weekly status reports, and are treated as equals by fellow employees, management included.

Cons

As can be expected from any entry level position, unfortunately some of the employees of Sports Authority fall on the immature side of things. Managers also (whether deservingly so or not) tend to favor the associates that they personally train over other associates; it is fairly obvious. The most unfortunate part about this is that it often influences changes of position.

Advice to Management

In my opinion, the management at ALL Sports Authority stores should be at least a tad bit more picky when selecting new applicants, mainly regarding the maturity level of potential employees. Other than that, my only advise would be to offer advancement opportunities by merit rather than random selection; no employee without managerial experience should be hired on as a department lead without proving his/her self first.

8. I loved working here.

Former Employee - Cashier in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Cashier in Laurel, MD

Pros

The general manager and many of the other managers are friendly and easy to relate to . They talk to you like humans and not down to you like some other establishments. It was a real laidback environment.

Cons

Compensation. I would still work there to this day if i had gotten paid just a little more.

Advice to Management

n/a

9. I found my team.

Current Employee - Cash Lead in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Cash Lead in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (More than a year)

Pros

At the sports authority they always encourage us to succeed and give our best. When we do well it is rewarded. The communication is fantastic and we have really opened up more and more ways to talk to eachother. Bayshore Sports Authority is awesome.

Cons

We're in a mall so we have to comply with mall hours. We also have crazy hours on days like black friday. no fun!

Advice to Management

Hi, you guys are nice.

10. Great employees with great managers

Current Employee - Cash Lead in Lake Stevens, WA
    Current Employee - Cash Lead in Lake Stevens, WA

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly employees and very understanding managers. Just overall a fun place to work.

Cons

Unrealistic sales expectations from corporate. Also you have to his a certain percentage in their Loyalty Program, again, also unrealistic. They don't seem to understand that if someone doesn't want the darn card you cant make them.

Advice to Management

Stop being so forceful with the Loyalty program. If people don't want it we can't force them. This in turn runes our percentage which gets us in trouble. We do our best. Also we need working computers. Not computers that crash every minute which leads us to angry customers. And "help desk" does not help AT ALL.

11. Great place to work, great co-workers ,great team ethic :)

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at Sports Authority full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Commission is fun and competitive between co-workers, Managers are very considerate and understanding as well. May also get a chance to pull a double shift- those are fun!I had also been to one of their paid sales meetings out of town, and it was a fun and relaxing "business trip"

Cons

There arent really downsides to it- its easy common sense work with a friendly personality.

Advice to Management

Management is great (at least in Daytona Beach,FL) ; They are especially well with ideas of co-workers to better the company or aid said company.

RSS Feed </> Embed