Sports Authority
www.sportsauthority.com Englewood, CO 5000+ Employees

Sports Authority Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Michael E. Foss

Pros:
  • "Cost plus 10% days (which brings the price down to what you would pay at Walmart but hey, we appreciate your hard work"
    in 22 reviews
  • "The employee discount is acceptable, but basically in line with other retailers"
    in 44 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management sets ridiculous sales goals that are very very tough to reach"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Customer service is supposed to be primary focus but company gives you no tools to do so"
    in 28 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Greedy company with no growth.

I worked at Sports Authority part-time for more than a year

ProsGood Co-Workers and Fun to work with

ConsEverything else.
Management is a joke and cares less about the employees. Asked for a promotion many times with my high Sales numbers and never got it. Its all about Rewards programs. I know people got fired over Loyalty but also know employees who miss shifts and not call in or show up to work high and they don't care. Seen honest good people fired or let go because of low loyalty numbers and the dishonest and people who never show up for work still have a job.

Loyalty is pushed super hard and even if someone was getting 15c Gum I had to try sign them up for one or ask for one or else my job was on the line.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to praise and give chances to your best employees and remove the rewards program overall or add rules to it such as under $5 no rewards card no problem.

Good place to work. Nice people. Need's better management

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Whitehall, PA

I worked at Sports Authority part-time for less than a year

ProsI love sports and outdoors

ConsEverything was a mess and hectic

Advice to Senior ManagementTake control of your employees more

I was a cashier, had expectations everyday of signing people up for cards

I worked at Sports Authority

Proslearned at lot about sport equipment, discounts, good management.

ConsThey kept track of how many sign ups you got and hassled you.

Good job, pay OK

I worked at Sports Authority full-time

ProsI worked in the Corporate office headquarters in the training group for over 7 years. Pretty good management, no micro-managing. I had plenty of work to do, but didn't feel overwhelmed. Had a nice workout facility right in the building I worked in, which I used at lunch time. Overall, it was a good experience!

ConsProgram to give monetary spot bonuses paid very little; no consistent annual bonus program for corporate employees across the board. Would have liked to have had the opportunity to be promoted to a "senior" level in my position, but a "senior" level position wasn't even defined.

Great at first but gradually gets old and boring

Sales Authority (Former Employee)

I worked at Sports Authority part-time for more than a year

Pros-Excellent discount
-Flexible hours
-Positive staff members

Cons-Management would often pressure associates to sell extended coverage plans, insoles and rewards and if goals were not met, associates take the blame.
-Retail can get tiring and work will be slow

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to treat associates as "HUMAN BEINGS" not robots. Sales vary upon day and it is hard to average great numbers on consistent basis.

Great Brand - Weak Inconsistent PE owners have caused great uncertainty and cultural dysfunction

Vice President (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Sports Authority full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA great brand name - it's too bad their PE owners have not supported it with strong strategic advisors. The Sporting goods market is a youthful, Interesting and fun business to be associated - unfortunately the SA reputation has been tarnished over the last 10 years of inconsistent management driven by it's PE owners.

ConsLack of consistent leadership driven by knee-jerk reactions and far too many management changes made by LGP (PE owners) of SA. The absence of true authentic owner support has resulted in great cultural dysfunction.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is tremendous need for more consistent management and strategic focus that will begin to re-instill confidence internally and externally for this retailer.

Fun, hard working environment

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat environment to work with. Easy for people to understand you

ConsTiring hours, some management doesn't like to work with you

Sports Authority Elite!!

Sales Enthusiast (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time for more than a year

ProsCo-workers, Training, Managers, Discount, Great atmosphere

ConsRoller-coaster periods of sales. Its not every day or week you are able to perform your best due to time when the store is dead empty. Other than that, I can't think of any cons.

Great people to work with. Manipulative management

Team Sports Associate (Current Employee)
Westlake Village, CA

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time for less than a year

ProsThe co-workers are awesome! The pay was above minimum wage at the time starting ($9 per hour). Also get an awesome discount which is equivalent on average of 40%-45% off.

ConsThe store manager, at least at my store, is unorganized and manipulative. He puts outs a schedule each week with random hours essentially. Haven't had a consistent schedule since I started. He also keeps asking me to do other people's work, but not get the equivalent pay for it. Also seems to be severely under staffed on busy days.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't treat your employees like stupid grunts and if they are going to do more work outside of what they were hired for, compensate them for it. Also, look for store managers who actually have a 4 year college degree.

Great place and a great team environment!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Folsom, CA

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat team environment. The employees are great and friendly! If you want to work hard it's a great place to be competitive! You are given the opportunity to earn more money based on items that you sell to customers! This means adding an extra $4-$300 added to your paycheck dependent on how hard you work.

ConsTho only cons are that there are many employees so you're not necessarily guaranteed more hours. Long shift of hustling around getting things done and helping customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt'd be great if work was divided evenly, between associates.

Worked for Sports Authority? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sports Authority reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sports Authority CEO Michael E. Foss. All 520 reviews posted anonymously by Sports Authority employees.