Sports Authority
www.sportsauthority.com Englewood, CO 5000+ Employees

Sports Authority Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Michael E. Foss

Pros:
  • "Cost plus 10% days (which brings the price down to what you would pay at Walmart but hey, we appreciate your hard work"
    in 22 reviews
  • "The employee discount is acceptable, but basically in line with other retailers"
    in 47 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management sets ridiculous sales goals that are very very tough to reach"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Customer service is supposed to be primary focus but company gives you no tools to do so"
    in 30 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Doesn't value work life balance

Department Lead (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsGreat hours working at the distribution center!

ConsChanges to schedule quite frequently with no notice.

Who Shops at Sports Authority Nowadays Anyways??

Manager (Former Employee)
    Englewood, CO

ProsSome genuine good people. The discount & health benefits.

ConsEverything else. Sports Authority combines the worst aspects of Corporate Environment with the worst aspects of a sales job. You're never appreciated. They work you relentlessly and you feel like a turd when you leave work every day.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new jobs if you can because that place is going nowhere. Unless of course, you're philandering monies, which could very well be happening over there.

Overworked due to cutbacks

Asset Protection Department (Former Employee)

ProsNice corporate office
    Long term managers

ConsLarge cutbacks to make the company more profitable made it hard to complete your work in less than 50 hours a week

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many changes at once due to poor leadership in the past

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good overall, company is moving towards the cutting edge of customer service

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompany is striving to be on the cutting edge of customer service, allowing for new ideas to be heard.

ConsMis- communication and lack of complete execution on some levels.

ProsIf you like sports, it's a fun environment. It's really competitive.

ConsSales driven, bad managers

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your employees are happy

Loyal and competitive within their competition and throughout the retail market.

Operations Team Leader (Current Employee)
    Plano, TX

ProsNew CEO who I finally feel "gets it" in this competitive industry. Great first job and always an opportunity to move up within the company. Great employee discount, cost +15% from what Sports Authority pays for the product.

ConsBiggest challenge I have noticed being in management with Sports Authority. Payroll always is an issue, employee turnover rate has never been very good. The most successful and pleasurable store managers to work for, are younger! 30-40's. The older generation of retail store managers have to go. I have worked with Sports Authority for 8 years and this seems to be more and more visible throughout the years.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt really goes further than direct department and store management. It starts with the district manager, he at the end of the day has the most say in who and where your managers end up. Unless Sports Authority as a whole learns how to train and develop more young people throughout the company things will never change. Like any company their are alot of political aspects in alot of personal decisions. Which quickly shows throughout the associates and the stores productivity, good, bad or in different.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

It was a job...

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsGood work/ life balance. Discount. Management was mostly ok.

Conscommission compensation, benefits, and I noticed signs of it being more of a "Who you know" to get promoted kind of company. Was in line for a promotion after a employee left (who I'll admit had been there longer than I but, not once performed better than I did.) She left for three months then, returned and they promoted her instead of me. A week after she returned.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your employees informed. It sucked being laid off on Christmas Eve.

Great place to work if you enjoy sports people.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsA strong focus on doing things the right way; more merchandising freedom than at most big box retailers due to the seasonality. New CEO seems to care about people.

ConsUnrealistic budgets make it difficult to earn much bonus. The big stores get loaded with merchandise but the smaller ones are starved for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementMerchandise the smaller stores deeper in certain categories and get out of others.

Horrible experience

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsEmployee discount
    Great selection of merchandise

ConsCorporate level management
    Expect too much
    Too many inputs that never match others

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to corporate management about how they treat those who are in the stores every day dealing with customer issues and internal issues.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSelling sports equipment and spreading your knowledge of the products to the customers. Pretty laid back. Don't try to steal.

ConsManagement puts stupid demands for ecp's. Extended Coverage Plans. Associates would probably try harder if their were more and bigger incentives.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange isn't always good.

Worked for Sports Authority? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sports Authority reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sports Authority CEO Michael E. Foss. All 567 reviews posted anonymously by Sports Authority employees.