Sports Authority

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
2.7

Michael E. Foss

Pros
  • The employee discount is really good here definitely cant complain about that (in 55 reviews)

• Cost plus 10% days (which brings the price down to what you would pay at Walmart but hey, we appreciate your hard work (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Management would often pressure associates to sell extended coverage plans, insoles and rewards and if goals were not met, associates take the blame (in 17 reviews)

• Upper management sets ridiculous sales goals that are very very tough to reach (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Great People.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People and fun. People are very passionate about their job and company. Sports Authority corporate office is a fun place to work.

Cons

A lot of executive turnover and lower level employees are not paid market value.

It's just retail

I worked at Sports Authority

Pros

Pros would definitely be the discount. Being able to work and sell sporting goods as well as talk to customers.

Cons

Pay would be the biggest challenge. This goes for regular associates as well as managers. Dealing with old outdated pos systems. Constantly changing priorities and goals.

Update all pos systems and try to get current with other big box retailers. Pay your managers accordingly for the amount of work they do.

Everything is about keeping the stores numbers up.

Current Employee - Sales Authority
    Current Employee - Sales Authority

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employee discount is really good here definitely cant complain about that. The pay is decent for a retail store. The coworkers are pretty cool and that's pretty much it.

Cons

The goals they set for sales, loyalty cards, extended coverage plans, selling stuff online (AOS) are so unrealistic and out of the employees control. Not everyone wants to buy things online in store when they can just do so in the comfort of their own home. No one wants to give out their email and phone number to get a loyalty card. Which is understandable because thats their private information. The return policy sucks if you dont have a receipt the customer gets the lowest selling cost then on store credit then the customer goes crazy on you. And if you want the full price you have to call an 800 number to get your receipt. Also management sucks they always have their favorites and let them slide with everything. Some managers dont know anything!

Stop the favoritism. Treat everyone equally.

Too Little Too Late

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Health Insurance

If you have a friendly store manager they will work along with you vacation and days off. But only if your full time part timers get the shaft

Of course that is just at my location

Cons

If you are familiar with coverage plans and loyalty that companies offer now. Sports Authority takes selling these to customers to a whole new level. They place a lot of stress on Store Manager and below to obtain unexpected to goals that has caused many store managers to be fired because they frauduaulently try to replicate these goals for the corporation. They pride themselves on being a customer friendly store but dont take care of their employees. It is literally a revolving door and no growth within the company. They change the CEO once every two years who then comes in with their own agenda.

With my four years with the company I have been through 3 District Managers and 3 CEOS and 2 Store managers.

hmm..

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

Gets you acclimated to sales with real work experience

Cons

Sales driven with no compensation.

Commission would be nice.

Store employees and Managers are good, Corporate is a Joke

Former Employee - Sales Authority in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Authority in Dallas, TX

I worked at Sports Authority part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Good discount of at cost +15%
    -Store Mangers were nice and helpful
    -Decent Summer Job

Cons

-Using Technology from the 1990's or even older
    -Corporate has no clue what they are doing
       Corporates policies made no business sense at all (We could not restock merchandise on the weekends, so popular items would sell out Saturday morning and even though we had dozens of them sitting in boxes in the stock room, we couldn't touch them until Monday morning.

-Corporate would mark down items sometimes by two cents, causing the staff to spend hours reducing the price by 2 cents. Doesn't make sense

-Understaffing was the norm, we usually had 3 to 5 employees in a 50,000 square ft. store. One of those was a cashier and one was a manager, so we only had one or two employees to cover the whole store. We would then get emails from the Regional Manager asking how we could not meet and greet every customer in the store.

-Stolen Merchandize from our store was a huge problem that the district asset protection manager wouldn't address, (We were loosing on average $800 a week from stolen merchandise) Corporate refused to put an employee at the fitting rooms to monitor them. Another great Policy!

I wouldn't be shocked if Sports Authority closes it's doors soon, the Corporate offices in Colorado need to consult with store level managers to get a clue about how things work.

Consider reshaping many policies, look at how academy sports and outdoors runs it's business.

Great company too much turnover in CEOs

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Many opportunities for advancement at the Corporate Office if you put forth the effort. Great people, young athletic populace, gym at the office, classes at lunch in Yoga, Pilates etc. summer hours let out early on Fridays

Cons

Lots of turnover in executive management, company has a hard time defining who they want to be in the marketplace as each new CEO bring a different spin (4 in 10 years)

Consider part time positions at the corporate office, committ to an executive team and let them do their jobs / stay in place long enough to develop a vision

Good employer, fair rules and hours

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vail, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vail, CO

I worked at Sports Authority full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fair managers, fun work environment

Cons

Physical involvement, some cranky management

Not really a Sports lovers job.

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best reason to work here...its easy... Most people are dumb...and you look like a genius... if you excel in even one field.

Cons

The company has overall bad management, and no one cares about the "little" guy.

Tighten the reins! If anything just work on handling the day to day issues and not so much on kissing corporates butt

The job keeps me busy.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rockwall, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rockwall, TX

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (less than an year)

Pros

work-life balance, able to request off when needed, the job keeps me busy so I'm not bored at work

Cons

doing 2-3 peoples jobs in one shift, constantly short handed, unorganized management