Sports Authority

Updated December 22, 2014
Updated December 22, 2014
2.8

Michael E. Foss

Pros
  • Made some friends working there but that's about it aside from the employee discount (in 59 reviews)

• The discount is good at cost plus 10% (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Management would often pressure associates to sell extended coverage plans, insoles and rewards and if goals were not met, associates take the blame (in 17 reviews)

• The compensation is not good unless you are upper management (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Sports Authority cashier

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Milford, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Milford, MA

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

Flexible with schedules and the managers work with you so that you have as much authority as possible within your position. They want you to be the best at what you do.

Cons

It's retail... customers can be difficult and you have to bite your tongue a lot. Payroll shortages can be irritating when your hours get cut and there is minimal communication between managers about shift changes.

Great associates but awful upper management

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Holyoke, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Holyoke, MA

I worked at Sports Authority part-time (less than an year)

Pros

"Amazing benefits and discounts. Average pay for part-time staff. Private company and sells really good products." Company likes to hire local workers. Grea job for holiday season for students.

Cons

No real training program. Watch videos for orientation. The new CEO is running the place into the ground. Mitt Romney was a better CEO.

Promote within the organization for management positions. Lots of young talent out there. Spread the payroll each week around and not just play favorites towards certain employees.

Moderate, management very pushy

Current Employee - Sales Authority in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Authority in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discount is awesome

Cons

Pay is low
    Management is very pushy

Need to make more realistic sales goal and stop being so pushy with the extended coverage plan.

Fun college job

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Temecula, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Temecula, CA

I worked at Sports Authority full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible with schedule and easy to get full time

Cons

Retail jobs are very repetitive

More incentives for sales

Managements role to their associates

Former Employee - Sales Authority in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Sales Authority in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Sports Authority full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If your a business driven associate then you'll understand why my review has alot to do with the role management has on their team.

At the time, I was hired when we had a great mentor of a store manager: great relationships with his management team. So as a result the employees had a sense of understanding of their job and duties, ultimately there is respect.

Management team has your back regarding customer complaints unless you were not following specific policies, i.e., ignoring your customer or using phone on sales floor! Write up!

Great company if you have a passion for retail and to promote good business practices. You can make a postive impact and grow with the company if you know what I know: read game plan, listen to your customers, review employee handbook, customers, any book laying around read it,

Employee Discounts is great. Flexible with schedule.

Cons

Unfortunately however, this stores management team have lost their management abilities with new store manager. Associates are becoming too friendly to their superiors, comfortable enough to leave their departments to discuss events outside of work on the clock mind you. Team members are not taking initiative to improve customers experience by providing good salesmanship.

Training is basically shadowing an associate for a day or two and then your on your own. Speak up to a manager and let them know you would like to continue to shadow if your uncomfortable the first week.

When a manager does not speak up with what is right then ethics and respect for the team will no longer be valid,e.g., favoritism that leads to poor department control.

Depending on how well your store manager is you'll see how great or how poorly they can effectively influence the stores performance and customer experience. It starts from the top of the tier and can trickle down like a storm.

Get a grip of your store. There is a reason to why scores are so low. Evaluate the trend and hire common sense educated people to become successful. No time to be playing games hiring folks with attitudes. Jokes are cool but seriously though.

Part Time Sales

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

Close to home and employee discounts are good.

Cons

Regular pay for working Holidays. Breaks are short and not well scheduled. I go to work and an hour later they put me on break, then I have to work another 6 hours.

While I appreciate that I have a job, I work really long hours on holidays and only receive regular pay. If I am taken away from my family during the holidays it would be nice to at least have time and a half. I barely get a break on holiday Eve days such as the day before Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and Christmas Eve. It's very clear employees are not very appreciated. I worked a 12 hour shift on Black Friday and got half hour break, do you think that is good?

Typical Sales Environment

Former Employee - Cashier in Butler, NJ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Butler, NJ

I worked at Sports Authority part-time (less than an year)

Pros

At the time I was working, the employees that working with me were pretty nice, but not necessarily good workers.

Cons

The pay was low, the manager was horrible (called out employees for small errors in front of customers), the Thanksgiving hours were heart-breaking and there was no room for growth unless you wanted to be the front-end manager. Poor morale, poor environment.

MORALE is the key to keeping good employees. Try being sincere and personal and take care of yourself, too. Make work fun, pull people aside to talk to them instead of raging in public. Watch your sarcasm.

Meh

I worked at Sports Authority

Pros

Retail is retail. Decent discounts, friendly coworkers. Selling interesting products, customers usually easy.

Cons

Management is troubling. Top down yelling, fuels managers taking out frustrationa on employees. Poor motivation tactics. Limited training or chance to grow

It was "all right"

Former Employee - Cashier in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Cashier in Rockville, MD

I worked at Sports Authority

Pros

easy work, good co-workers, aside from that not much else

Cons

they only hire part-time employees and the number of hours you get is based on how many people you sign up for their loyalty program.

stop micro-managing, stop allowing customers to return anything regardless of the condition of the item or if they do not have a receipt, it is hurting your bottom line .

Good executive management, but poor morale

Current Employee - Analyst II in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Analyst II in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people here are great. They are smart, talented, and motivated to elevate Sports Authority to being the premiere sporting goods chain in the US. Executive management has undergone some changes, but I feel we have a great team in place now to propel us forward.

Cons

Very little room for growth and extremely poor morale. Most of us are overworked and underpaid. Favoritism and sexism (IMO) are high, leaving little room for career improvement. There is somewhat of a culture of fear as layoffs happen often, but there are mostly in VP-level and above positions.

Take care of your employees and promote the ones who are dedicated to working for you. It's ridiculous that you would rather hire externally than promote from within.