Sports Authority

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014
2.7

Michael E. Foss

Pros
  • The employee discount is acceptable, but basically in line with other retailers (in 50 reviews)

• Cost plus 10% days (which brings the price down to what you would pay at Walmart but hey, we appreciate your hard work (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Customer service is supposed to be primary focus but company gives you no tools to do so (in 31 reviews)

• Upper management sets ridiculous sales goals that are very very tough to reach (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Very Profit-Seeking Oriented

I worked at Sports Authority part-time for less than a year

Pros

I really enjoyed working with my team/coworkers. We had fun with each other most of the time, especially after closing during clean up.

Cons

A lot of customers just come in to browse and enjoy the air conditioning during the summer time. It is very frustrating for them to throw clothing and items on the floor and leave them there. Also, if you are a cute female employee, be prepared to be harassed by male customers while you're trying to do your job. They take advantage of the fact that you have to be nice to them and stare at you as your working. If your store is located within a shopping mall, your guaranteed to get hassled by male customers. Managers expect you to maintain professional demeanor, even when guys insist you talk to them.

You should listen to your female employees complaints and tell them if they feel uncomfortable that they can ask for help, even when it is busy. I quit because I felt very uncomfortable with the many male (non-buying) customers harassing me while I work. You should maybe warn your young female employees and train based on customer-employee sexual harassment.

ok for a first job

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great cowokers some are very nice, AMAZING discount, management is for the most part nice.

Cons

Some workers are lazy and that cause you to do double the work. limited amount of hours available, they tell you that by selling ECP's and AOS' you will earn more hours however that wasn't true. Can employ more staff closing more than 75% of the store in one hour is impossible especially for one employee while the rest don't anything.

thank your employees when ever you have the chance, and pay attention to those employees who constantly keep getting compliments from customers and always meet sale,ecp, and aos goals.

It was fine, pay is not very good.

I worked at Sports Authority as a contractor

Pros

casual workplace, people nice, boss nice

Cons

pay not good, kind of crappy warehouse type office

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nope, Nope, Nope

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

The discount is pretty good

Cons

Senior Management needs to try to connect to employees

Busy at times, but lots of walking around aimlessly

I worked at Sports Authority part-time for more than a year

Pros

Enjoyed working with co-workers. Fun environment if you enjoy any of the products that sports authority sells

Cons

Time off must be requested via computer system, many store managers creates difficulty and miscommunication

Better connection between store managers...each manager seemed to have a different idea and vision of the store. Makes it difficult for employees to go extra-mile or put forth best effort when not sure what to do

it was good

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Sports Authority part-time for more than a year

Pros

it was a good work experience as a student

Cons

I had to work some late hours

they need to do better

Good first experience

Current Employee - Cashier  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier in New York, NY

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time for less than a year

Pros

If you like sports and can talk about them, it will be easy to give customers the product they want.

Cons

Everything was good, no cons.

I enjoyed My Time With The Company.

Former Employee - Operations Manager  in  Gastonia, NC
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Gastonia, NC

I worked at Sports Authority full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Easy to advance at store level. Rewarding experience to grow and learn about the sporting good retail business.

Cons

Coupon/Cash Cards. Customers always had issues with getting items and cash cards not working properly. Another Issue is the signing of the store locations. It was always done at the last minute and no one really wanted to execute the process.

Pay attention to cash card issues and prevent customers from abusing them. The pay was really good.

Felt Betrayed From Management

I worked at Sports Authority part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun coworkers...it was easy to make friends, good
    Environment, and decent hours. MOST of the managers were nice and cared for your safety. There was a manager who made sure my ride came to get me at night and for the most part everyone asked me how my day was going. They seemed to care for my well being. SOME.

Cons

When I first started, everything was fine. I was hired as seasonal but was brought back a few months later as permanent work. When I came back management was a little different which was not an issue to me since it looked like they promoted from within the store! But things quickly turned bad.

I was mainly the closer and had to take care of the fitting rooms and clothing. There were NO REGARDS to what time you left. Your shift might say 2-1030 but be looking at getting off around 11 or 1130. I was constantly doing overtime because we all had to leave the store together, which meant EVERY department needed to be clean and ready for anyone to leave. I don't mind overtime here and there but not every night. If we had someone coming in from HQ to check out the place, then expect to be there until midnight because they clean the night BEFORE. instead we should have the whole week leading up to clean or just keep the place looking good all the time. Too much scrambling.

When I was told that I was going to learn to check when it got busy, I was excited since I have never used a cash register before!! But that quickly went away when I needed help on the register. One manager was so irritated with me asking ONE question about a return that she just gave me SO MUCH attitude and basically rolled her eyes at me...she didn't help me at all and I just asked another cashier who was very helpful. I never went up to her again for anything after that.

I realize most stores have this policy where we are not allowed to confront someone who is stealing but my coworker and I caught someone and did what we were told and that was to give GREAT customer service and we constantly checked up on the person ("Are You Finding Everything Ok?"
    Do You Need Help?" Etc.) to show them that we were being attentive. We communicated this to other employees and management so we all knew what was happening. Of course the guy walked out with merchandise because we don't call the cops or whatever. So that night when we were all discussing the situation, one of the "lead" cashiers made a Snarky remark that if we had given the guy good customer service then he wouldn't have done it. Needless to say she was trying to assert herself where it wasn't needed and throughout my stay at Sports Authority she made more comments like this directed to me.

The breaking point for me was when I almost got 3 write ups in ONE WEEK. My first was when my drawer was short some small amount and the second was when my drawer was short again...which I felt was suspicious since the "lead" cashier seemed to have it out for me but managers know best. Then my third almost happened when I accepted a store coupon without attaching a receipt...I wasn't told I needed to do this and was basically interrogated about who told me it was ok to not attach a receipt!! I felt horrible but I told them who trained me (which training was literally 30 minutes) and they had to talk to the person about what I did. They said they'll let it slide this one time but next time id be written up!! After that I never wanted to cashier again.

It was sad because I really had my heart set out for this place and it hurt me to give my 2 weeks.

Please get everyone on the same page and try to be more diligent on training! If you're willing to write someone up that's new for something they weren't taught, then there's a flaw in the system. Change is good but if one person is this way and another is that way then there's so balance. Also find people who are willing to help. No one new wants to feel like they're being a pain or bother for asking questions!! Also there should be a daily check list for everyone to do so that people aren't stuck in the store before an auditor until midnight cleaning. If it was a daily thing then the night before someone from HQ comes in, it should just be the finishing touches.

The experience was very good.

I worked at Sports Authority for more than a year

Pros

The prose are there is a Flexible staff, with a very good good atmosphere, and lots of team work. Very cooperative leadership.

Cons

The cons to working here would be the salaries are not competitive for a career, unless you climb the ladder.

Keep all staff happy and wanting to strive for a great store.

Worked for Sports Authority? Contribute to the Community!