Sports Authority

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014
2.8

Michael E. Foss

Pros
  • Made some friends working there but that's about it aside from the employee discount (in 59 reviews)

• The discount is good at cost plus 10% (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Management would often pressure associates to sell extended coverage plans, insoles and rewards and if goals were not met, associates take the blame (in 17 reviews)

• The compensation is not good unless you are upper management (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

OK, if you want to have a chill job

Former Employee - Fitness Authority in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Fitness Authority in Miami, FL

I worked at Sports Authority part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very relaxed work environment, great discounts, about 45%-70% depending on the product. Good if you just want to make a little money while you go to school, not too demanding. Also Decent sales experience. As long as you talk to the customer and ask them questions on what they need, give them something you think will help you'll do fine. Your number really don't Matter until you become a leader.

Cons

When season hits you typically stay until 2 in the morning picking up the store. On Black Friday we spent the whole night before organizing. Just to stay the next night until 3 in the morning cleaning it all up. ECP is annoying because they are always on top of you to sell it, and you get a sense of accomplishment when you do, but then you begin to realize that sense of accomplishment is out of fear of not selling ECP and the managers getting on your case. Not because you got some reward. So you begin to get annoyed when they bring it up. If you want to make money here you have to have another job period. Most associates besides the Leaders get no more than 18 hour work weeks and I believe this to be due to the high amount of associates.

higher Pay, Less Associates to accommodate higher amount of hours per associate. This will bring turnover rates down.

Not a bad place to work in between other jobs

Current Employee - Visual/Merchandising Associate
    Current Employee - Visual/Merchandising Associate

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people
    Great in store discount, cost plus 15%
    Online discount of 25% off
    Not hard work

Cons

Average first job or second job pay, can't live off it
    Not a lot of room for growth
    Company policy to make everyone work the day of thanksgiving and Christmas , also makes you work two days before and after each holiday. They threaten to fire you if you aren't okay with it
    District managers need to be nicer and not wreck the store if it's not up to their standards
    Always end up staying longer then your shift

Fix hours, pay a little more and don't tell me people when they can and can not take off if more people are needed make room in payroll to hire more.

Good place to work but could be better

Current Employee - Sales Authority in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Authority in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, Great discount, and Good products

Cons

Pay is below average for the high pressure sales required by corporate
    Not much upward mobility in terms of career

Pay employees more or lower expectations of sales numbers

Everything is about keeping the stores numbers up.

Current Employee - Sales Authority
    Current Employee - Sales Authority

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employee discount is really good here definitely cant complain about that. The pay is decent for a retail store. The coworkers are pretty cool and that's pretty much it.

Cons

The goals they set for sales, loyalty cards, extended coverage plans, selling stuff online (AOS) are so unrealistic and out of the employees control. Not everyone wants to buy things online in store when they can just do so in the comfort of their own home. No one wants to give out their email and phone number to get a loyalty card. Which is understandable because thats their private information. The return policy sucks if you dont have a receipt the customer gets the lowest selling cost then on store credit then the customer goes crazy on you. And if you want the full price you have to call an 800 number to get your receipt. Also management sucks they always have their favorites and let them slide with everything. Some managers dont know anything!

Stop the favoritism. Treat everyone equally.

Sales Floor Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ledgewood, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ledgewood, NJ

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefit package is acceptable for employees and family

Cons

Upper Management changes happen often

Too Little Too Late

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Health Insurance

If you have a friendly store manager they will work along with you vacation and days off. But only if your full time part timers get the shaft

Of course that is just at my location

Cons

If you are familiar with coverage plans and loyalty that companies offer now. Sports Authority takes selling these to customers to a whole new level. They place a lot of stress on Store Manager and below to obtain unexpected to goals that has caused many store managers to be fired because they frauduaulently try to replicate these goals for the corporation. They pride themselves on being a customer friendly store but dont take care of their employees. It is literally a revolving door and no growth within the company. They change the CEO once every two years who then comes in with their own agenda.

With my four years with the company I have been through 3 District Managers and 3 CEOS and 2 Store managers.

Improved management and great people.

Former Employee - Merchandise Planner in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Merchandise Planner in Englewood, CO

I worked at Sports Authority full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people I worked with on my team were wonderful. The office culture in Planning, Allocation and Replenishment improved a lot when the upper management changed. There was more attention on training and leadership. The discount is the best in the business. Transparency from upper management had greatly improved. Health benefits were good.

Cons

The pay wasn't great. They are the largest corporate retailer in the Denver area and figure you'll take whatever salary they offer in order to live in Denver. Some systems could use some updating. Vacation is still only 2 weeks for up to 5 years, which seems a little outdated to me. Good work life balance depends on which area you work in.

As a former planner, upper management should let us do the job we were paid for. As planners, we spent a lot of time and did a lot of analysis on monthly retrends and yearly plans. To then get a top down number from someone and be told to put in it with little to no explanation is beyond frustrating. Communication within certain departments was not great. In many meetings, you were put on the defensive instead of it being a collaborative working session.

Sporting Goods

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

Discount - Fun atmosphere - Its sporting goods after all

Cons

Can be high pressure - Sometimes lack of hours

I enjoy working at Sports Authority, Corporate office

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time

Pros

Culture is very good, management makes you feel appreciated for your hard work. Very good benefits such as health/dental, great retail discounts, onsite gym, yoga and pilates classes midday, Friday Summer hours program is nice to be able to leave at noon for the mountains, etc. The Employee Thanks program is unique and helps to provide a positive attitude around the office. There is also an active number of sports teams and leagues at SA.

Cons

Some of the software applications should be upgraded or changed.

Keep it up. The message from the top is spot on.

Fun

Former Employee - Cashier in Wheaton, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Wheaton, IL

I worked at Sports Authority part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Pay was decent
    - Managers all cool
    - Co-Workers are amazing

Cons

- The actual work
    - Hours
    - Drama

- Pay some people who deserve it, more.