Sports Authority

www.sportsauthority.com

Sports Authority Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Michael E. Foss

Pros
  • The employee discount is acceptable, but basically in line with other retailers (in 50 reviews)

• Cost plus 10% days (which brings the price down to what you would pay at Walmart but hey, we appreciate your hard work (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Customer service is supposed to be primary focus but company gives you no tools to do so (in 31 reviews)

• Upper management sets ridiculous sales goals that are very very tough to reach (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Your experience working there depends on the quality of management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOffers commission on some items

ConsWas very boring and not a lot of room for growth

sucks

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Woodside, NY

Proseasy job if you are sales associate

Consimpossible sale goal you have to meet.

Advice to Senior Managementbe a better person please!

straight forward company not much to look forward too

Sales Authority (Current Employee) Miami, FL

Prosgood work life balance and no management hounding you every hour. flexible as long as you give prior notice to management and coworkers

Conslow pay rate and little room for advancement. the company doesn't invest much in their reps management can be over worked.

Advice to Senior Managementcompany uses outdated systems and sales tactics.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

footwear specialist

Prosgreat for part time job to start out with. Very easy work and awesome place to meet fun people. 50% discount is applied twice a year which is great to buy lots of things during those times.

Consinconsistent hours and also commission is not all that great. It could be better. Management seems to not have to do much while everyone else does most of the work.

Not The greatest company.

Sales Team Leader (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ConsTraining
    Company Favoritism
    Too many ridiculous Metrics
    Stress

Advice to Senior ManagementStop saying that we have to keep our employees happy, when you want to write them up for every little thing. To promote people within the company fairly. Not make them work for years and see an outside hire get paid more than you and work less.

we need more customer traffic

Proscompensation is adequate and satisfactory

Consexpectations out reach customer count

Worst experience of my life!

Coordinator (Former Employee) Englewood, CO

ProsBenefits are ok. Discount is ok.

ConsEverything! The corporate office operates in a fear based environment where every move you make is scrutinized and your job is always threatened. Any achievements are overlooked as management puts more effort and time into finding and highlighting mistakes. The managers are in fear of their own jobs and are quick to move blame to their employees. Overall the corporate environment is terrible and nothing is being done to turn it around.
    The workplace itself is terrible as well. The office consists of 2 converted warehouses in not such a great part of town. This means no windows in the office, and not a safe place to take a walk at lunch. Also the gym was a total disaster which was embarrassing considering they are a sporting goods company and sell all of the equipment that was broken and in need of replacement.
    There is no opportunity for advancement or movement. They say they have a system set up for this but it makes no sense. Your current manager has to approve your move to another position in the company and I have seen managers not approve moves several times.
    They say they have flex hours for work life balance. but this is again not true. They allowed me to have flex hours for 2 months. Then with no explanation they told my entire team we had a set schedule.

I had no training plan or guidance when I started. I was harassed by management with inappropriate jokes, being teased and heckled for any mistakes, and public humiliation. Although I had a great fear of retaliation I reached out to HR I received no response.
    I worked at the corporate office for a year and half and it was the worst experience I could ever imagine. As someone new into the workforce out of college I would never imagine I would have the experiences I had here EVER! No employee should go home crying multiple times a week, no employee should be harassed, and no respectable HR would ignore a harassment situation. The ethics of this company are so skewed I will never associate myself with them again, as an employee or a customer, and I will not hesitate spread the word of the mistreatment I received.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on your company culture.

Such a horrible company.

Senior Sales Authority (Current Employee)

ProsThe coworkers are great. Sometimes when it is super slow you can just talk to your coworkers. Isn't many other pros.

ConsThey don't give you time off when you need it. They will schedule you when you specifically say that you are unavailable to work, and then when you call out, they get mad at you and write you up....even though it was their fault. They do not let you take your breaks on time. They yell at you when you get overtime, even if you were helping someone in the store. They never say that it is their fault. They will always try to make you feel like you are the problem. They do not listen to you. They will not go over the guidelines with you, and then when you break the rules you will get written up. They do not even supply you with a book of the guidelines. They will tell you to get help if you cannot move something on your own and need help, but then when you actually ask for help, they will talk down to you and harass you for not being able to do it on your own. Non-stop harassment.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff more. Change some policies with the new times. Stop talking down to the staff. And, especially, STOP HARASSING YOUR STAFF.

Asset Protection Dept promises a lot but do not come through with promises.

Asset Protection Area Agent (Current Employee) Calumet City, IL

ProsThe discount, benefits are great

ConsUpper management is inconsisant and there is no training

not a good place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood discount, friends, products, tv, products

Consbad management, pay, hours, not flexible with school

Advice to Senior Managementbetter training, be more personable

Worked for Sports Authority? Contribute to the Community!