Sports Authority

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015
2.8

Michael E. Foss

Pros
  • Made some friends working there but that's about it aside from the employee discount (in 59 reviews)

• The discount is good at cost plus 10% (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Management would often pressure associates to sell extended coverage plans, insoles and rewards and if goals were not met, associates take the blame (in 17 reviews)

• The compensation is not good unless you are upper management (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Associate

I worked at Sports Authority

Pros

Walked around a lot and was able to learn a few more things related to sports equipment.

Cons

Management can be confusing and you can get bored easily.

Prejudice

Current Employee - Cashier in North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in North Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

The Web page said I needed at least 5 words. DO NOT WORK HERE, PERIOD!

Cons

How any African American store managers are there? That's right, NONE. Many qualified associates. No training unless you consider a computer a good teacher. Second rate managers attempt to provide additional training but do not know or understand what it is they are teaching. Good job for an invalid or thief. Cost plus 15% discount. That means half off retail pricing based on margin. Abuse it while.you can. Hook up friends and family but be smart it is watched closely. To balance your pay buy at cost and sell to make a profit for yourself.

For 8.00 an hour you can aggressively sign up customer loyalty accounts, ensure CEI is met, sell ECP, (Extended care plans), make sure to Look In Side All, increase overall sales or lose hours. Absolutely NO Loyalty! Never again.

cliques

Former Employee - Softlines Manager in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Softlines Manager in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Sports Authority full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Discounts are the only positive aspect of this company and that will likely change again. There really isn't much else that is positive.

Cons

This job is all about kissing up and getting sales at any cost. Management will lie and cheat to get what they want at employee's expense. Play the favorites game especially when it comes to promotions and raises.

Clean house, starting with anyone who has questionable trends and performances, especially the managers. Most managers are protecting and promoting their friends instead of caring about the company. Put cameras in the lower office/edp that can be checked to see how often people sit in there instead of working.

Good executive management, but poor morale

Current Employee - Analyst II in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Analyst II in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people here are great. They are smart, talented, and motivated to elevate Sports Authority to being the premiere sporting goods chain in the US. Executive management has undergone some changes, but I feel we have a great team in place now to propel us forward.

Cons

Very little room for growth and extremely poor morale. Most of us are overworked and underpaid. Favoritism and sexism (IMO) are high, leaving little room for career improvement. There is somewhat of a culture of fear as layoffs happen often, but there are mostly in VP-level and above positions.

Take care of your employees and promote the ones who are dedicated to working for you. It's ridiculous that you would rather hire externally than promote from within.

Nothing great besides the discount...if you can afford it!

Current Employee - Visual/Merchandising Associate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Visual/Merchandising Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employee discount is about it

Cons

No opportunity to advance, and forget about full time employment. Full timers beg to get their 32 a week, while part timers barely get 10 hours a week. Money, yeah the discount is great but when you make barely minimum wage what money is left to even shop?!?

Employees need hours to get the job done. Cool with SA promoter and start caring about you staff!!!!

You are a replaceable robot sales machine no matter your department

Former Employee - Senior Sales Authority in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Authority in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Sports Authority full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My favorite things about the job were the discount and the benefits after becoming full time. It was fun at times.

Cons

The sales goals are set too high and if you don't meet quota you aren't "persuasive enough". Regardless of how happy your customers were when they left the store if they didn't have a certain Add ons or a loyalty you needed to try harder.

Treat your employees like human beings.

Learned a lot about retail

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, MO

I have been working at Sports Authority full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Have met and worked with some great people. Insurance and time off polices are decent. Can learn a lot if you are curious and ask questions.

Cons

Pay not equal for work load, training is non existent. Managers expect you to put company above family and schooling. Schedule put up at last minute.

Become Leaders rather than micro managing. Be more concerned about workers and their safety during bad weather!

Sales

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Sports Authority part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Discount is better than before now.

Cons

Management does not always do work.

Do more work

Was a good place to work as an hourly employee, but a horrible place to work as a salaried employee.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Sports Authority full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I was offered many promotions and different jobs during the 10 years I worked there.

Cons

They make promises they don't keep. I was promised days off for all the long hours I put in opening stores, and traveling to help store re-models. I was never actually given a single one.
    They put managers in a position where they can't possibly succeed unless they are good at lying or covering up problems.
    The communication between corp, DMs and the store level is horrible.

Understand that when you work salaried employees 60-80 hours a week, they are no longer effective. Don't make promises you can't keep. Learn to communicate. Unhappy employees = unhappy customers.

Great first job, but unsatisfying.

I have been working at Sports Authority

Pros

Flexible shifts
    Some Co-workers are great

Cons

No training
    Managers are at times unprofessional