Sports Direct Reviews

120 reviews filtered by
2.2
Sports Direct CEO David M. Forsey
David M. Forsey

Pros
  • Easy work, 15% discount, holiday pay every 3 months (depending on your hours) (in 7 reviews)

• As it was my first job, and i was still at school, I was given flexible working hours around my school work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • you have a zero hour contract so you can never guarantee whether you will have work (in 19 reviews)

• Everybody is on a 0 hour contract so they can take advantage of staff desperate for hours (in 9 reviews)

1. Valuable experience

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Castleford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Castleford, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Store managers at my branch (castleford) were amazing. The experience gained during my four years there were invaluable. The hours were flexible to suit my needs during college and university.

Cons

The internal company policies need to be more customer friendly. KPI targets force staff to force products on customers making some feel uncomfortable, including myself as a customer. Way too much stock in every store causing mess and a jumble sale feel to the store which also causes products to get lost and damaged.

Be more customer friendly, don't fill every square inch of selling space. Reduce the number of zero hour contracts and offer staff a ladder to climb.

2. customer service

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct

Pros

It was a good experience.

Cons

Not really... and problem i had. got all shift as i much i wanted.

3. work hard earn more

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct full-time (less than a year)

Pros

good money if you put the hours in. very strong company that will be around for years. very busy so the days goes quick.

Cons

some staff / managers can be very dis respectful and rude

treat people how you would want to be treated

5. Zero Ethics, Zero Hour Contract, Minimum Wage

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Bury, North West England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Bury, North West England, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Only pro of zero hours contract is that you aren't obligated to take every shift offered.
    Easy task eg serving on tills, putting out stock
    Short shifts 4/5 hours (So they don't have to give/pay you for a break)
    Always something entertaining both staff and customer drama

Cons

Terrible company ethics! Constantly criticized for not pushing 'KPI's' (Bag for life, insoles etc), Unprofessional management often told to "just put their shopping in a bag for life and scan it without them knowing" and anyone who refused to do so was humiliated in the end of shift 'debrief' and told off infront of the whole team. Upon further research I discovered that the commission from the KPI's we sold were then awarded to management in bonuses, the 'store bonus' for the rest of us was minimal. Sports Direct use Zero Hour Contracts in order to manipulate their staff by threatening them to cut their shifts the following week simply because they can. Often made to feel bad for booking time off even though it was a zero hour contract.

Also Sports Direct pride themselves on their misleading offers, when working on the till you end up constantly having to explain the terrible 'no refunds' policy and why the customer is being refunded less when taking an online order in-store as opposed to paying to send it back. This company doesn't care about it's staff OR it's customers simply how much money can be made from them, therefore very little repeat business.
    Avoid if possible!

Put money into training management to professionally motivate their staff and change the

6. Hate it, never ever work here!!!

Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time (less than a year)

Pros

20 percent discount but only on Thursdays. The location is good as there is transportation close by.

Cons

Everything. I have worked there for under a week and already hate it. I received next to no training and was expected to know how to work a till perfectly after 5 minutes of watching someone do it. I am asked to take out the re sale clothes however I do not know where anything goes in the shop as I spend all my hours behind the till. When I ask for help from other workers I can see them getting fed up of me asking.
    Most of the staff are not very friendly or willing to help me and the management are rude.

I read the reviews about sports direct and ignored them as I was desperate for a job but please if you are considering working for them don't.

7. Disgusting place to work

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Croydon, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Croydon, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Discount but only on select days and if buying trainers must be of your own size

Cons

Horrible work environment
    Staff would be very unprofessional and swear
    0 hour contract means unstable income and if they didn't like u very much you wouldn't get any hours
    Boring not much to do unless it's busy

8. Not Great

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working there was like joining a family, the staff are all really friendly and we all had a laugh together, the manager also recognised that we weren't getting enough hours etc. and was always really apologetic about it. The incentive scheme is good, although not so much if you are only working the tills.

Cons

As some other reviews have said, the company doesn't offer much pay and the 0 hour contracts are a nightmare, especially if you're trying to live off the money you make there. The incentive scheme only gets paid out every three months and when I resigned I lost the money I should've had. I also was never trained to sell shoes which is where most of the incentive money is paid out.

I hear the 0 hour contracts will be changed soon, and I recommend at least 4 hour contracts to staff (like students etc.) but I think the majority of staff members want to see 8+ hour contracts.

9. assistant sales

I have been working at Sports Direct

Pros

good team environment, good hours

Cons

boring, can be quiet, poorly treated

10. Working for the devil

I have been working at Sports Direct

Pros

Get to wear trainers at work

Cons

I have been working for the part time for over 2 years. The company commits employment crimes on a daily basis with unfair breaks and working ours. Bad stock rooms im sure against health and saftey. The managers are so up themselves they dont treat you as a person more like a slave usually because they are uneducated and given promotions because they can sell extra socks. Locker rooms are infested with rats and god knows what else and i work at the flagship shop

Take a hard look at your managers there vindictive bullies who cant actually manage people.
    Give people fair hours some people have to live on your minimum wages have a heart

11. Worst 3 years of my life

Current Contractor - Casual Sales Assistant
    Current Contractor - Casual Sales Assistant

I have been working at Sports Direct as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone is really friendly and it's feels much like a family. You also learn a few new skills. The 5 star incentives are a great way of earning extra cash but it's only paid out every 3 months which is sometimes a bit annoying but it does motivate you to sell and interact with customers.

Cons

Everything, the fact you're expected to drop everything in your diary even though you're on a 0 hour contract and only given a days notice in some cases about you're next shift. Communication is awful too - been on holiday (handed in a holiday request form) and had phone calls telling me i'm 15 minutes late for my shift.

Minimum wage - please increase the wages, I could barely afford to live and had to resort to my parents for cash nearly every month because i wasn't getting enough hours. I also think it's unfair that people work hard and take on responsibilities that they shouldn't be doing and have nothing to show for it at the end of the month.
    Training - I was trained up be a CAST member who clearly wasn't bothered about whether what I was learning was correct. There are lots of tasks that I have done which I shouldn't as I haven't received the right, if any, training whatsoever. Management or full time staff should be the ones training.