Sports Direct Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

2.4

Sports Direct CEO David M. Forsey
David M. Forsey

Pros
  • Easy work, 15% discount, holiday pay every 3 months (depending on your hours) (in 7 reviews)

• First job, so allowed me to gain retail experience (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • zero hour contracts make it a pressured environment (in 13 reviews)

• 72 ph if you're under 18 (minimum wage) (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

I Ithink its great

Current Employee - News Paper Delivery  in  Burton upon Trent, England (UK)
    Current Employee - News Paper Delivery in Burton upon Trent, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time for less than a year

Pros

Its sporty and most people have to buy there because there are sports equipment , shoes , clothes and towels. Its a great job .

Cons

How many people that come in the shop , discount , good being stolen ordering new stuff

Keep the good work up

A great employer to work for

I worked at Sports Direct full-time

Pros

A highly successful and forward-thinking company, which encourages to use a full potential of its employees. Employees of the company can actually experience, how the vision and strategy of the company flow from the top to the bottom, and sideways, which makes the company a great workplace and a great working environment. There are always career progression opportunities and potential employees can expect to work with a very nice people.

Cons

There is nothing to add here.

Well run store, other staff helpful and had a good time working for them

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Trowbridge, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Trowbridge, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Team worked very well together
    - Some of the staff who worked there had been there for some time which suggested there were good opportunities
    - Was working as a summer job. I was treated as well as other staff and offered a good amount of hours

Cons

- No parking arrangements for the store I was in so I spent quite a bit to park for work.

- Subsidise or arrange parking

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

an exhausting but both a financially and emotionally rewarding experience!

Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant  in  Crayford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Crayford, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time for more than a year

Pros

making friends with other staff and becoming a little family helping enthusiasm and motivation around the store

Cons

lots of tasks to do in little amount of time! can be challenging sometimes

breaking down large tasks to prevent demotivation and discouragement of enthusiasm in the store which can reflect badly onto our customers giving them an unpleasant shopping experience

Enjoy working there because your hard work is easily noticed by the management.

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you're a hard working individual your work will be noticed and highly appreciated. it's an expanding company and it's easy to be promoted just need to be committed and motivated to improve the standards of your shop and give the best customer service possible.
    Great career opportunities as its easy to be promoted!

Cons

Long hours, working 50+ hours a week gets to you and sometimes you are simply tired. Your social life is affected.

Promote more people within the company as some worked very hard for a very long time and deserve a promotion. Instead of getting management from outside the company with no retail experience. The staff end up training the management above them, which is not fair as they get paid lot lot more.

Sportsdirect.com UK's number one!

Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant  in  Hartlepool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Hartlepool, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Able to have a life such as going to uni and a job with a reasonable pay at the side. Also helps with confidence when working with customers and making friends with other employees.

Cons

0hr contract meaning you never know if your going to be work all week or even just one day and KPI's having to get a certain percentage everyday.

More to hours to the staff who make the effort instead of sharing them out with employers who stand around.

Poorly run store, however good opportunities

Former Employee - Shoe Supervisor  in  Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Shoe Supervisor in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Career opportunities are always opening up, UK and europe. zero hour contracts are helpful for students who need time off to go 'home' or for exam periods.

Cons

career development from management team is close to zero as I have ever experienced. staff discount is only 15% and is pretty poor compared to other retailers who off 20% student discount.

Spend more time developing internal staff than trying to bring in externals who don't know how the company works

The people i work with are amazing , the work is sometimes very repetative but otherwise the pace depends on the day .

I have been working at Sports Direct

Pros

i am able to chat with and help customers and this gives me a sense of wellbeing knowing i have helped someone . the zero hrs contract means you can book off whenever you need to in advance and make yourself available for times that fit with your life , 15% discount for staff ...the other staff are lovely people and we have a good rapport with one another i also feel that working here keeps me up to date on the latest styles and trends too

Cons

sometimes the store is so busy we can have all 4 tills active and still have cues all day and we dont have enough time to complete other tasks (but i guess for the company thats a pro) as much as the zero hrs contract frees up your ability to book off when you want etc its also difficult to control housing benefit etc and working tax credits because of fluctuation in hours and wages

i think some staff would benefit from set hrs each week and cannot be rota'd for any more or less hrs than that they have set for themselves then that way they could control their tax credits and housing benefits etc .. so that they would have stability .
    i think it would be advantageous to staff to be able to have 2-3 sets of uniform so that we can always have a clean uniform as 1 is hard to get clean dried and ready for the next shift when you have a family and the washer is pretty much always in use ...

Enjoyable and loved working there

Former Employee - Sale Assistant  in  Dover, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sale Assistant in Dover, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time for more than a year

Pros

Face to face contact with customers.
    Meeting new people.
    Being set challenges.

Cons

Working with people you don't get on with.
    Knowing the customer is always right.
    Hitting targets set everyday.

Care towards staff a bit more!

love SD but the pay is awful

Former Employee - Casual Sales Zero Hour  in  Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Zero Hour in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time for more than a year

Pros

- staff are amazing - made so many friends
    - everyone is lovely - helps each other out
    - the managers are fun
    - we all had a laugh
    - you get away with a lot of things
    - you can practically pick your hours
    - you can ask for any days off you like
    - bonus at christmas
    - monthly pay
    - get to learn a lot such as work on tills and shoes
    - 15% discount

Cons

- zero hour contract
    - £3.72 ph if you're under 18 (minimum wage)
    - not much chance to progress to higher jobs
    - having to sell bags for lifes and magazine and on shoes you have to sell insoles and certain shoes. - they moan if you dont (u get away with it if you get on with managers)

- improve pay! we have to sell a lot of products and we get peanuts in return

Worked for Sports Direct? Contribute to the Community!