Sports Direct

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sports Direct CEO David M. Forsey

David M. Forsey

Pros
  • Easy work, 15% discount, holiday pay every 3 months (depending on your hours) (in 7 reviews)

• First job, so allowed me to gain retail experience (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • zero hour contracts make it a pressured environment (in 13 reviews)

• 72 ph if you're under 18 (minimum wage) (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

I Ithink its great

News Paper Delivery (Current Employee) Burton upon Trent, England (UK)

ProsIts sporty and most people have to buy there because there are sports equipment , shoes , clothes and towels. Its a great job .

ConsHow many people that come in the shop , discount , good being stolen ordering new stuff

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the good work up

A great employer to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA highly successful and forward-thinking company, which encourages to use a full potential of its employees. Employees of the company can actually experience, how the vision and strategy of the company flow from the top to the bottom, and sideways, which makes the company a great workplace and a great working environment. There are always career progression opportunities and potential employees can expect to work with a very nice people.

ConsThere is nothing to add here.

Sportsdirect.com UK's number one!

Casual Sales Assistant (Current Employee) Hartlepool, England (UK)

ProsAble to have a life such as going to uni and a job with a reasonable pay at the side. Also helps with confidence when working with customers and making friends with other employees.

Cons0hr contract meaning you never know if your going to be work all week or even just one day and KPI's having to get a certain percentage everyday.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore to hours to the staff who make the effort instead of sharing them out with employers who stand around.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poorly run store, however good opportunities

Shoe Supervisor (Former Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsCareer opportunities are always opening up, UK and europe. zero hour contracts are helpful for students who need time off to go 'home' or for exam periods.

Conscareer development from management team is close to zero as I have ever experienced. staff discount is only 15% and is pretty poor compared to other retailers who off 20% student discount.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time developing internal staff than trying to bring in externals who don't know how the company works

The people i work with are amazing , the work is sometimes very repetative but otherwise the pace depends on the day .

Prosi am able to chat with and help customers and this gives me a sense of wellbeing knowing i have helped someone . the zero hrs contract means you can book off whenever you need to in advance and make yourself available for times that fit with your life , 15% discount for staff ...the other staff are lovely people and we have a good rapport with one another i also feel that working here keeps me up to date on the latest styles and trends too

Conssometimes the store is so busy we can have all 4 tills active and still have cues all day and we dont have enough time to complete other tasks (but i guess for the company thats a pro) as much as the zero hrs contract frees up your ability to book off when you want etc its also difficult to control housing benefit etc and working tax credits because of fluctuation in hours and wages

Advice to Senior Managementi think some staff would benefit from set hrs each week and cannot be rota'd for any more or less hrs than that they have set for themselves then that way they could control their tax credits and housing benefits etc .. so that they would have stability .
    i think it would be advantageous to staff to be able to have 2-3 sets of uniform so that we can always have a clean uniform as 1 is hard to get clean dried and ready for the next shift when you have a family and the washer is pretty much always in use ...

Enjoyable and loved working there

Sale Assistant (Former Employee) Dover, England (UK)

ProsFace to face contact with customers.
    Meeting new people.
    Being set challenges.

ConsWorking with people you don't get on with.
    Knowing the customer is always right.
    Hitting targets set everyday.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare towards staff a bit more!

love SD but the pay is awful

Casual Sales Zero Hour (Former Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

Pros- staff are amazing - made so many friends
    - everyone is lovely - helps each other out
    - the managers are fun
    - we all had a laugh
    - you get away with a lot of things
    - you can practically pick your hours
    - you can ask for any days off you like
    - bonus at christmas
    - monthly pay
    - get to learn a lot such as work on tills and shoes
    - 15% discount

Cons- zero hour contract
    - £3.72 ph if you're under 18 (minimum wage)
    - not much chance to progress to higher jobs
    - having to sell bags for lifes and magazine and on shoes you have to sell insoles and certain shoes. - they moan if you dont (u get away with it if you get on with managers)

Advice to Senior Management- improve pay! we have to sell a lot of products and we get peanuts in return

Good company to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly Environment to work around

Consto much work load for individual

Advice to Senior Managementreduce work load on individual

not only challenging at times but a fun place to work in

Casual Sales Assistant (Current Employee) Stevenage, England (UK)

ProsWorking with individuals from a variety of backgrounds is great, the friendly working environment you work in, the management is great, it offers promotions and the online training is good as it refreshes what you already know, or learn more things. The company values new ideas and view points are always listened to.

Conshaving a zero hour contract, as you don't always get put on the rota. Also the way they do breaks and split shifts, at times it can be annoying. I've done a 6 and a half to 7 hour shift with no break.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd recommend discussing hours and how the workers feel about the place to work in. This will help improve any problems and increase the personal growth of the individuals.

It's a 'money on the side' job, not a fantastic career path.

Cast (Current Employee) Nottingham, England (UK)

ProsAll of the workers in my store are incredibly friendly, and we have a laugh together. I have improved my social confidence tenfold since working there, both with my fellow employees, as well as my ability to talk to customers and other strangers in everyday life. I have discovered what I like and don't like about the job, which will greatly impact the rest of my career choices. I quickly gained a lot of responsibility in this job, and rewards come to those who deserve it.

ConsThe main issues are working past closing time; whilst my shift is often on the rota to end at 8pm, the store doesn't actually close until 8:15, and we rarely get out before 9pm. The supervisors have formed a clique and it is sometimes difficult to talk to them separately. Because a lot of workers are young, a lot of jobs don't get completed, so sometimes tensions are high and blame gets laid onto people it doesn't belong to. There is a distinct lack of communication between managers and supervisors, and they sometimes offer completely contradictory advice.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest a lot more communication between management. In my store particularly, management offer contradictory advice, and if I tell one of them something, they won't communicate it to the other members of staff (for example, I go to university, so I only work there in the holidays - if I tell a member of staff when I was coming back, they won't communicate it to the other members of staff, which will result in no one putting me on the rota).

Worked for Sports Direct? Contribute to the Community!