Sports Direct

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sports Direct CEO David M. Forsey

David M. Forsey

Pros
  • Easy work, 15% discount, holiday pay every 3 months (depending on your hours)(in 7 reviews)

• First job, so allowed me to gain retail experience(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • zero hour contracts make it a pressured environment(in 13 reviews)

• 72 ph if you're under 18 (minimum wage)(in 5 reviews)

Different to other employers!

Zero Hour Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Sheffield, England (UK)

ProsThe place was a good place to meet new friends as most people (non-management) were friendly and approachable.

Conspay, zero hour contracts, treat like rubbish, poor management

Advice to Senior ManagementWorking for sports direct was a very disatisfying opportunity as the management were poor and lacked empathy and leadership skills. They only wanted what was best for themselves and treat every member of staff underneath them like garbage. Knowing we got paid for every 15 minutes we was there was also disgusting, as if we finished at 9pm, management used to make us clock out at 9:14pm, so we wouldn't get paid for the near enough 15 minutes we had worked. I once stayed at the till until it turned to 9:15pm, as I knew the situation and was told rather rudely by a manager to get from behind the till and go home as they knew what I was doing, and said they would deduct the full 15 minutes from my wage for what I had done.
     I was fine with having to be checked on the way out of the shop, once leaving post shift, but having a manager (a male one at that) asking to lift my top up and my trouser legs to make sure there was nothing I had stolen was a bit disgusting.
    The zero hour contracts are also a poor way of treating your staff as who wants to work for people who have no respect for their staff, on minumum wage with no guarantee of any hours every week? I felt belittled as the management used to talk to me like I lacked social skills and had no IQ. I arrived late for my shift once and only once and after been on 40 hours a week for quite some time, I was cut to 3 hours a week and this is why I quit. People go to work to be treated fairly (given they show management respect too, which I ensure I did!), and to know they have a stable job with a proper wage at the end of every month. No one can build a life or make any stability in their life when working for Sports Direct as your hours were not promised from one week to the next!

Bonus obsessed culture Regionals and area managers wouldn't survive in a commercial driven retailer.

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsStore teams remain positive even though the pressure on them at all times is unbearable.

ConsLack of training and development.
    Investment in wages is poor all to protect the profit pot, Store teams expected to work way beyond an acceptable level including extra hours unpaid.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan only hope that the retail team get changed at some point and Is lead by a strong retailer who wants to change the business and culture for the good of the company.

Akin to working in a sweatshop

Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsFirst job, so allowed me to gain retail experience. Hours were flexible, so I could fit the job around college without it infringing upon my work.

ConsZero hour contract meant that sometimes, I'd only get 3 hours per week. As I had a car, earning £80 in a month was not really beneficial. The managers were nice people in my store, but there was a distinct lack of organisation. For example, most of the store's staff would be placed on tills, leaving me on the shopfloor on my own, and sometimes I was expected to split the queues (which made little sense to me, as I was not working anywhere near them). One of the supervisors was highly unprofessional, refusing to let me go home until ridiculous requests were fulfilled and behaved in a very condescending manner towards me. I didn't really feel welcomed by most of my colleagues, as they seemed to look down on me for having ambition and not doing their work on top of mine. Stock was blocking fire exits and the early morning exit, a severe health and safety risk. Metal delivery cages were left on the shop floor during trading hours, which meant that certain items couldn't be retrieved for customers. The radio communication system is good in theory; however, there were not enough to go around, and you were often verbally abused if you did not answer straight away (dealing with a customer means, to me, they are the priority). Staff room was the shoe store cupboard, whereby broken chairs and over-flowing bins were kept. There were no opportunities for progression either, and the pay, although minimum wage, was not good, particularly if you had bills to pay. Staff discount apparently only applied on Thursdays, and even on this day, I never received my discount.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-evaluate the effectiveness of the zero hour contracts. Send in Regional members of staff to carry out the 'mystery shopper' task , because I don't think it is quite understood how poor the working conditions actually are.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The worse company I have ever been with

Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Reading, England (UK)

ProsFirst job, general customer service skills

Cons0 hour contracts, pay was the same even when i became a senior member of staff. I ended up working 18 hour days sometimes whilst doing stock take, in a non-air conditioned shop. Managers swore all the time, once held a pair of scissors up to me. i decided to leave the shop that day raised a formal grievance with no out come. I then decided to hand my notice in as I was given no opportunity to progress

Advice to Senior ManagementGo undercover review all your stores. make your work place a better environment no need for so much stock making you feel claustrophobic. Train all your managers on complaints handling and how to treat customers fairly.

Awfully unorganised

Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Watford, East Midlands, England (UK)

Prosalways busy so it doesnt get boring

Conspoor managers and poor organisation skills

Advice to Senior Managementget some less cocky managers and assistant managers. some seem racist

Not worth it.

Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsZero hours so I guess flexibility and some of the people were ok.

ConsFar too focused on sales targets
    Management rubbish
    Absolute minimum wage, ended up costing me more on the bus than what I was payed overall
    Wasnt told when shifts and then shouted at by the manager for not showing up to these none existent shifts

Advice to Senior ManagementNo one wants to buy your bags for life.

The most depressing time of my life.

Part Time Sles Assistant ZER HOUR (Former Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsThe pros of working for sports direct are no manger really looks after you, you are an individual and fight for yourself there and your shifts and your wages being correct.

ConsNo chance of promotion, it is like a prison being stuck behind a till who works for hours and hours serving without a break till you sweat. You never ever got out on time ever! Rude customers, no one ever looked after shop floor correctly was always down to people on close to clean it properly. Dark dim surroundings some what like a pit.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo higher team leaders who care about there staff and store, give incentives out EXPECIALLY FOR SELLING BAGS FOR LIFES!!!!!!!!!!!!! give training out to youngsters who have no customer service skills whats so ever. My first shift I was expected to o on till when I had never worked on one before.

Absolutely awful.

Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) Bracknell, England (UK)

ProsFor a short period, I had a great department manager that treated me well and tried to progress my career, and I made some good friends.

ConsZero hour contracts. Managers with terrible attitudes, terrible people skills and inability to be impartial and not create personal vendettas against people for no valid reason. No support system within the company for issues like the ones I had faced.

Advice to Senior ManagementLarge stores need large staff rooms. Managers need to be trained not to point the finger without investigating properly first - I was under the scope for somehow stealing £10000 during cashing up, when it was actually a counting error, but fingers were pointed and pockets were checked before a recount was done. Store managers need real people skills before they are put into stores. I was doing really well under my amazing department manager and was putting in 50 hours a week (on a zero hour contract, but doing the same as salaried staff) until a new manager arrived and decided that I was actually doing nothing with my time in the building. I had implemented new systems, taken on a second-in-command role informally and worked really hard, hoping to land a salaried position, until the manager cut me down to 4 hours per week, passively bullied me and left me no choice but to leave.

Homophic area manager, constant staff bullying

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Maidstone, England (UK)

ProsGetting on with staff working as a team to keep the staff moral up as the pressure of sales targets and hours are not fun

ConsThe whole package as complete no staff care espically zero hour staff ,pressure to get workddone even tbough you can not work no more hours but as motto states at less you have a job

Advice to Senior ManagementThat animals in zoo getting treated with more respect

worst job I've ever had!

Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) York, England (UK)

ProsThe only con is that I got paid money. Even then they taxed it when they shouldn't have because i didn't earn enough

ConsThey make you work in a boiling hot atmosphere even the customers complain about it being too hot, they make you stand and carry huge ladders I'm only a young girl I nearly toppled them on top of customers and myself for that matter! They made me tidy for 5 hours i never got to go on till even though I'm good at it and enjoy it, have they never heard of job rotation? they certainly had their favourites and the favourites got the best jobs while i just tidied clothes that were already tidy for 5 HOURS WITHOUT A BREAK. They also make you stay like ten- twenty mins after work unpaid!

Advice to Senior Managementtry job rotation, air conditioning, giving breaks and maybe asking people what jobs they actually enjoy doing so they can have a go at that for at least a bit during the day its very boring and dull being stuck on the same thing all day with no breaks.

Worked for Sports Direct? Contribute to the Community!