Sports Direct

Updated March 3, 2015
2.2

Sports Direct CEO David M. Forsey
David M. Forsey

Pros
  • Easy work, 15% discount, holiday pay every 3 months (depending on your hours) (in 7 reviews)

• As it was my first job, and i was still at school, I was given flexible working hours around my school work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • you have a zero hour contract so you can never guarantee whether you will have work (in 19 reviews)

• Everybody is on a 0 hour contract so they can take advantage of staff desperate for hours (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Working for the devil

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct

Pros

Get to wear trainers at work

Cons

I have been working for the part time for over 2 years. The company commits employment crimes on a daily basis with unfair breaks and working ours. Bad stock rooms im sure against health and saftey. The managers are so up themselves they dont treat you as a person more like a slave usually because they are uneducated and given promotions because they can sell extra socks. Locker rooms are infested with rats and god knows what else and i work at the flagship shop

Take a hard look at your managers there vindictive bullies who cant actually manage people.
    Give people fair hours some people have to live on your minimum wages have a heart

Worst 3 years of my life

Current Contractor - Casual Sales Assistant
    Current Contractor - Casual Sales Assistant

I have been working at Sports Direct as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone is really friendly and it's feels much like a family. You also learn a few new skills. The 5 star incentives are a great way of earning extra cash but it's only paid out every 3 months which is sometimes a bit annoying but it does motivate you to sell and interact with customers.

Cons

Everything, the fact you're expected to drop everything in your diary even though you're on a 0 hour contract and only given a days notice in some cases about you're next shift. Communication is awful too - been on holiday (handed in a holiday request form) and had phone calls telling me i'm 15 minutes late for my shift.

Minimum wage - please increase the wages, I could barely afford to live and had to resort to my parents for cash nearly every month because i wasn't getting enough hours. I also think it's unfair that people work hard and take on responsibilities that they shouldn't be doing and have nothing to show for it at the end of the month.
    Training - I was trained up be a CAST member who clearly wasn't bothered about whether what I was learning was correct. There are lots of tasks that I have done which I shouldn't as I haven't received the right, if any, training whatsoever. Management or full time staff should be the ones training.

Possible the worst company on the high street

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Hard to think of a pro for sports direct. The only good thing that unites the workers is a hatred of the place

Cons

Awful training, terrible attitude from management towards breaks, zero hour contracts are a joke, whats the point of asking a worker their availability for shift if you are just going to be put into the rota at anytime

Treat workers as people, take time to listen to them, organise shifts better

Absolute joke.

I have been working at Sports Direct

Pros

When the stores busy, your always on your feet, management were friendly at interview stage, meet a lot of new friendly people, and it's a good start to improving customer service skills

Cons

Zero hour contract, they call you in when they feel like it, sometimes they text you your shift hours and when I texted I never got a response, then I got a text the next day telling me that I was due in at 12, I had 1 hour to get ready and get to work, they treat you like slaves, especially if your at a young age they expect you to run around for them. Tasks don't vary much, always doing the same job each shift and when the stores not busy then it gets very boring and your shift drags. No breaks unless you have a 6 hour shift and the pay is low and not worth it.

Treat staff with a little more respect, better organisation would be great, and increase in pay.

Worst employer I have ever worked for!

I worked at Sports Direct full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There isn't anything best to describe about this company. They are just greedy.

I worked 2 years for this company MBA graduate and they treated me like crap... This message to those who sit in HO.

I saved thousands for this company and guess what i got? incentive cut, bonus removed without reason plus manipulated my hard work and took 1 more additional days of pay. They adjust the payments and manipulate as per Area Managers instructions...

Area Managers do not even have courtesy to face the fact instead they cut your hard earned money...

Ho instructions..... you know who you are and you took my hard earned money.

Such a unethical company..

I feel pity for those casual staffs....

Cons

Dealing with benefit scums (Sports Direct attracts such people) those who live with tax payers money and shop at Sd. You do not know hard work and what does it mean.

Company Values:Poor very unprofessional.

Office Culture: Those who sit in HO and in training department they think they know it all. Guess what you haven't worked in professional environment and you do not know what is professionalism means.

Sitting at HO doesn't mean you know everything. Respect others values, backgrounds and their history before you make any judgement.

Don't be too smart because you work at HO.

Learn how to deal with professionals... If you do not know then learn from others experience....

HO Training department they think they are too smart and know it all... you wish..

open your eyes and go and work in the shop... then go and right what you have seen and what you have faced..

I have never seen a company which is so greedy.

NO BREAKS AND MANAGERS WHO DO NO WORK!

Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I met some nice young staff there my age, we all had one thing in common we hated working there.

Cons

You stand there for hours being told you have to constantly be busy and get told with an attitude to sell bags but yet manager and supervisors stand at the front laughing with a costa coffee whilst they then later preach to us about no talking at all! They dont provide breaks to young people, many of the people i worked with went 7 hours without a break and to also think they were only 17 as well. Management spoke to staff with no respect what so ever, called people pathetic if they didnt sell the products which is hard to convince someone to buy something they dont need or want. Management moan when you need or want time off but when its their holidays and their kids they need time of its a different story.

Id love to see you do some actual work and try and sell awful insoles and them ugly sports direct bags. Give people their breaks! you always make sure you have yours and you go out of work even when its not your break to get a costa coffee! Try being respectful to the people you have hired and then maybe working will be a little easier. Also if you dont want us to talk shut YOUR mouths as well and stop laughing like animals at the front of the shop! BE THE EXAMPLE YOU WANT US TO FOLLOW! I had to leave after 4 months it was that bad.

illegal, unproffesional, and completely ridiculously run by management.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Assistant in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (more than a year)

Pros

pros are that everyone hates it as much as the rest so everyone is friendly, that is about it.

Cons

bare minimum training.
    forced to cash up at 16 years of age but still getting paid 4 pounds an hour.
    having to start five minutes early and then finish five minutes or even later than that after you were supposed to finish but not getting paid for it.
    0 hour contract so they cut shifts if you do one thing wrong like leaving a few tags on some clothing but then get annoyed if you book time off which is well within rights to do so. Also getting shifts cut if they ring you up asking to work an hour before they want you to start.
    would never work here again.

treat your staff a lot better and you might actually keep some of them for a longer period of time, offer more progressive roles to people especially those who have worked there part time for a number of years.

Worse 2 years of my life

Current Contractor - Cast Staff in Aylesbury, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Cast Staff in Aylesbury, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

You earn money and that's it.

Cons

Management are uneducated morons that don't know employment rights so they treat their staff like they have no rights what so ever. Management do not know how to do their jobs so therefor the stores are not ran properly. Zero hour contacts are no stability when having to pay bills and there is no sympathy from the company when you cant pay your mortgage because they aren't giving you enough hours.

Training programmes for management are needed!!

Terrible

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Make friends , nice staff we always have banter through out.
    You get paid nice if you put in the hours
    The longer your there the more you do as you please.

Cons

Stupid rude customers
    Supervisor are confused and don't know how to manage people
    Management rude when you can't work
    They like taking your time but not give you the days you request off

Stop having jokes with casual assistant because half the time the respect barrier is gone

Worst Job!

Former Contractor - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Only good thing about this shoddy organisation was the uniform!

Cons

Horrible managers
    Poor training
    On the job training that requires you to pick up everything in one go
    The constant need to achieve KPI's through promoting and selling the RIDICULOUS Sports Direct bags that nobody wants to buy because they are UGLY and look like glamourised bin bags!
    Managers unprofessional in front of customers; addressing staff in rude manners and disregarding customer service
    Have to stay behind and clean once the shift is over
    Managers speak and discuss private staff and colleague matters on the shop floor, in front of other staff members
    Paranoia about secret shoppers! -__-

Train your staff!
    Management is too rude
    And the reason you always have secret shoppers is because your customer service is never nowhere near EXCEPTIONAL!