Sports Direct

Updated September 21, 2014
2.4

Sports Direct CEO David M. Forsey
David M. Forsey

Pros
  • Easy work, 15% discount, holiday pay every 3 months (depending on your hours) (in 7 reviews)

• First job, so allowed me to gain retail experience (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • zero hour contracts make it a pressured environment (in 13 reviews)

• 72 ph if you're under 18 (minimum wage) (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Awful

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant  in  Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time for less than a year

Pros

Since i've left i've not had one good thing to say about it, the best thing that came out of it for me was that i got treated better than other staff because i used to work at JJB Sports for 5 years.

Cons

0 Hour contracts (should be illegal)
    Lazy and ignorant staff
    More focus on chatting to each other than customers
    Under staffed

Smile
    Treat staff like human beings

Slave labour still exists

I worked at Sports Direct full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The other staff who make going to work bearable, Bonuses are good but are actually only compensating for all the extra hours worked during the year, you will save a good chunk of your wages as you will never have time to spend them!

Cons

You will be expected to work 60 hour weeks, even though you are only contracted to 45 but refuse to work the extra and you can forget about any potential bonuses. Last minute merchandising moves can see you working hours after home time, area managers favourites will always be selected when prixes are up for grabs, no time for a life outside of work, Don't expect any weekends off. zero hour contract staff will be selected based on the managers favourites

Keep it up because without your dedication to ensuring employees are miserable is resulting in good profits for the company

Soul crushing, barely legal, mentally screwing hellhole. And no I am not exaggerating.

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

There are none. I wish I could say one positive thing I really do I'm not a fussy person. I just wanted a job to tide me by - it beats unemployment. But not with these people.

Cons

Oh so many.... This is A company that BARELY operates within the law. Everybody is on a 0 hour contract so they can take advantage of staff desperate for hours. No sick pay no holiday pay. They don't air condition to save costs so every day is like working in the Sahara desert. This company needs to be taken through the courts and shut down. The way they treat their staff is criminal. I worked there for 2 years and barely survived, was hardly able to feed myself, let alone have any form of a life outside of work. Despicable company run by despicable people. Keep the I-Pad you're giving away - use the costs to help the poor souls still in employment there.

Well there's only one thing I'd say here and it's for the one particular manager that came after me from day 1 of my employment.

Stay away from me. For your own benefit. The anger I hold in my heart to this day for you is greater than any anger I've ever held for another human being.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unreliable

Former Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Elgin, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Elgin, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly staff and good induction system

Cons

I was put on a zero hour contract and i turned up to work one morning and me along with the rest of the staff stood outside closed shutters and an empty store. They had shut the branch without informing us and i never saw my managers again and had no chance to get details for a reference

Keep in contact with the staff.

Casual Sales Assistant- awful experience.

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant  in  Hull, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Hull, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time for less than a year

Pros

they let you turn down shifts etc and you work depending on your own availability

Cons

This was my first proper retail job and the only training I got was about 2 hours help on the till. I was left to do everything else with no help, and I had to figure things out, which caused a lot of delays during returns etc and tidying/restocking shop floor.
    My colleagues weren't very friendly either- it really didn't feel like teamwork at all, just everybody competing with each other.

BE more supportive and friendly!

A valuable experience on how to work for an employer that treats its staff as expendable assets.

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant  in  Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time for more than a year

Pros

The only pros I can think of for working for Sports Direct is the staff discount, the ability to earn some cash and to develop people & communication skills.

Cons

I think there are a lot of cons for working for an organisation like Sports Direct. The work/life balance is none existent, as they expect you to work ridiculous hours, sometimes with no breaks, and even on days where you have booked them off for occasions such as weddings. Not just from my own testimony but from others as well, they treat their staff as expendable. If you can't come into work for whatever reason, whether it is college commitments (as i was only part time) or due to illness, they still expect you to come in or "you can look for another job". Also most senior leaders, apart from one or two, have zero people skills and talk to their staff in a very disrespecting and aggressive manner as some sort of motivation tactic or to vent their own frustration.

A top to bottom restructuring of the organisation should be looked at, as well as a better selection process of those in a senior role, such as store managers and supervisors in order for create career progression opportunities and staff fulfillment.

friendly staff but terrible hours. pay and promises.

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant  in  Cheltenham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Cheltenham, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time for more than a year

Pros

easy to get time off for doctors, holidays etc.

Cons

no holiday pay, no guaranteed hours, no sick pay, minimum wage, no career opportunities, no promotions. wouldn't get you anywhere in life.

career opportunities, promotions, guaranteed hours.

Before starting a stranger I just met told me staff are overworked and underpaid... she could't have been any more right

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant  in  Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working as part of a big team
    Earning money and discount
    Great experience for the real world

Cons

Staff are expected to do way more than they should and rewarded with no guaranteed hours.
    If work is outstanding, staff must sign out and then finish their work unpaid.
    Shop is always a mess and not enough staff to clean up
    Management clearly show favouritism and give allowances to staff which angers others.
    Minimum wage for such hard work is just wrong

While I really really enjoyed my time there I would never share my good experiences with others because my bad experiences heavily outweighed the good. Management at the store was very poor and I would advise you to carefully employ managers who are absolutely right for the job and convey a positive attitude to the rest of the staff. Working unpaid and having hours cut due to favouritism is just not acceptable. And this is coming from an employee who was a favourite but witnessed first hand the anger of other staff. Staff should also be rewarded for hard work not penalised for an occasional blip.

Sportsdirect.com UK's number one!

Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant  in  Hartlepool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Hartlepool, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Able to have a life such as going to uni and a job with a reasonable pay at the side. Also helps with confidence when working with customers and making friends with other employees.

Cons

0hr contract meaning you never know if your going to be work all week or even just one day and KPI's having to get a certain percentage everyday.

More to hours to the staff who make the effort instead of sharing them out with employers who stand around.

Slave Drivers Rather Than Team Leaders

Current Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Liverpool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Liverpool, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time for more than a year

Pros

Sports Direct can be a chilled environment when it is not busy

Cons

Managers appear to be hired based on their ability to talk to young staff like idiots. It is understandable that the store has targets that we must meet, but instead of talking to us like human beings, we have managers who talk with quite DE motivational words/tone of voice. There are regular upsets because of the managers who use their authority to put others down.
    Customers will be customers, but Sports Direct has unreal amounts of reasons to make a customer shout in your face, especially if you're a girl.

Talking to someone like a lesser being is not beneficial to the company as sending your till staff to be the face of Sports Direct after dehumanising them won't paint a pretty picture of customer service.
    A lot of you need to sort out your inner demons because from my experience, the only superiors that have a problem with the world are the ones who evidently have no self-respect; through lack of hygiene, physical hindrances and so on.
    It should also be noted that the role of a manager, although being there to keep the staff in order, should create a positive atmosphere in order to motivate people to be a team through respect for the superiors. No one respects our superiors a part from one or two blue-shirts, basically because the negativity is completely uncalled for and over exaggerated, and is a sloppy and unethical way to get where the company is now.

Worked for Sports Direct? Contribute to the Community!