Sports Direct

Updated September 21, 2014
2.4

Sports Direct CEO David M. Forsey
David M. Forsey

Pros
  • Easy work, 15% discount, holiday pay every 3 months (depending on your hours) (in 7 reviews)

• First job, so allowed me to gain retail experience (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • zero hour contracts make it a pressured environment (in 13 reviews)

• 72 ph if you're under 18 (minimum wage) (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

5 years of work helping to train new staff to replace my position the management still treated me with no respect!

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant  in  Ipswich, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Ipswich, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people i worked with excluding the management. That is the only pro of this company.

Cons

Had no concept of management it was either their way or no way, they would rarely accommodate/ help you out with time off or etc. despite working your butt off to at least try and impress them.

Management Course, but more specifically how to treat and talk to people correctly and respectfully.

Poorly run store, however good opportunities

Former Employee - Shoe Supervisor  in  Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Shoe Supervisor in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Career opportunities are always opening up, UK and europe. zero hour contracts are helpful for students who need time off to go 'home' or for exam periods.

Cons

career development from management team is close to zero as I have ever experienced. staff discount is only 15% and is pretty poor compared to other retailers who off 20% student discount.

Spend more time developing internal staff than trying to bring in externals who don't know how the company works

It's a 'money on the side' job, not a fantastic career path.

Current Employee - Cast  in  Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Cast in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

All of the workers in my store are incredibly friendly, and we have a laugh together. I have improved my social confidence tenfold since working there, both with my fellow employees, as well as my ability to talk to customers and other strangers in everyday life. I have discovered what I like and don't like about the job, which will greatly impact the rest of my career choices. I quickly gained a lot of responsibility in this job, and rewards come to those who deserve it.

Cons

The main issues are working past closing time; whilst my shift is often on the rota to end at 8pm, the store doesn't actually close until 8:15, and we rarely get out before 9pm. The supervisors have formed a clique and it is sometimes difficult to talk to them separately. Because a lot of workers are young, a lot of jobs don't get completed, so sometimes tensions are high and blame gets laid onto people it doesn't belong to. There is a distinct lack of communication between managers and supervisors, and they sometimes offer completely contradictory advice.

I would suggest a lot more communication between management. In my store particularly, management offer contradictory advice, and if I tell one of them something, they won't communicate it to the other members of staff (for example, I go to university, so I only work there in the holidays - if I tell a member of staff when I was coming back, they won't communicate it to the other members of staff, which will result in no one putting me on the rota).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

not only challenging at times but a fun place to work in

Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant  in  Stevenage, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Stevenage, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with individuals from a variety of backgrounds is great, the friendly working environment you work in, the management is great, it offers promotions and the online training is good as it refreshes what you already know, or learn more things. The company values new ideas and view points are always listened to.

Cons

having a zero hour contract, as you don't always get put on the rota. Also the way they do breaks and split shifts, at times it can be annoying. I've done a 6 and a half to 7 hour shift with no break.

I'd recommend discussing hours and how the workers feel about the place to work in. This will help improve any problems and increase the personal growth of the individuals.

The people i work with are amazing , the work is sometimes very repetative but otherwise the pace depends on the day .

I have been working at Sports Direct

Pros

i am able to chat with and help customers and this gives me a sense of wellbeing knowing i have helped someone . the zero hrs contract means you can book off whenever you need to in advance and make yourself available for times that fit with your life , 15% discount for staff ...the other staff are lovely people and we have a good rapport with one another i also feel that working here keeps me up to date on the latest styles and trends too

Cons

sometimes the store is so busy we can have all 4 tills active and still have cues all day and we dont have enough time to complete other tasks (but i guess for the company thats a pro) as much as the zero hrs contract frees up your ability to book off when you want etc its also difficult to control housing benefit etc and working tax credits because of fluctuation in hours and wages

i think some staff would benefit from set hrs each week and cannot be rota'd for any more or less hrs than that they have set for themselves then that way they could control their tax credits and housing benefits etc .. so that they would have stability .
    i think it would be advantageous to staff to be able to have 2-3 sets of uniform so that we can always have a clean uniform as 1 is hard to get clean dried and ready for the next shift when you have a family and the washer is pretty much always in use ...

Learnt a lot- good and bad!

Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant  in  Maidstone, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Maidstone, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Got a lot of responsibility fairly quickly
    Really loved the people working there

Cons

Pay is awful for what you do and the stress
    So fast paced
    Customers don't respect the store as they would most others
    Refund policy made customers hate us so many awkward conversations
    Can be stressful
    Always so hot inside!

Believe a more formal training is needed for people starting- believe this would improve turnover, many a time managers would forget someone new is starting (as turnover so high!) and get someone to train them and leave them to it, more focus needs to be put on welcoming them and showing them how to improve
    So much focus on punishments! Giving out a disciplinary daily! I know my managers feel uncomfortable doing these but they do because of the pressure you give them, this builds a wall between upper and lower staff within the store its a nasty in and out group on both sides
    The pressure you put on them also changes the experiences of staff so much, pressure on my manager could make her moody for the whole day, and all staff would then be stressed reacting to it, staff turnover again

Awfully unorganised

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant  in  Watford, East Midlands, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Watford, East Midlands, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time for less than a year

Pros

always busy so it doesnt get boring

Cons

poor managers and poor organisation skills

get some less cocky managers and assistant managers. some seem racist

Enjoyable and loved working there

Former Employee - Sale Assistant  in  Dover, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sale Assistant in Dover, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time for more than a year

Pros

Face to face contact with customers.
    Meeting new people.
    Being set challenges.

Cons

Working with people you don't get on with.
    Knowing the customer is always right.
    Hitting targets set everyday.

Care towards staff a bit more!

Profit before people type of organisatin

Former Employee - Sale Assistant  in  Enniskillen, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sale Assistant in Enniskillen, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good bonus for Engakd based staff, reasnable hours

Cons

poor pay, staff discount and zero hour contracts are horrible

scrap zero hour contracts, improve customer service training

Fast-paced, business-minded work ethic

Former Employee - Shoe Salesman  in  Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Shoe Salesman in Bournemouth, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great encouragement by the managers to get the employees to sell key products to reach targets.

Cons

Often poor treatment of customers, trying to sell them the products to hit targets regardless of the quality of the product or what the customer actually wants to buy. Also payments to employees, as I never received a payslip, nor a P45 form.

Train managers more about treatment of employees.

Worked for Sports Direct? Contribute to the Community!