Sports Direct

Updated December 17, 2014
2.2

Sports Direct CEO David M. Forsey
David M. Forsey

Pros
  • Easy work, 15% discount, holiday pay every 3 months (depending on your hours) (in 7 reviews)

• As it was my first job, and i was still at school, I was given flexible working hours around my school work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • you have a zero hour contract so you can never guarantee whether you will have work (in 19 reviews)

• Everybody is on a 0 hour contract so they can take advantage of staff desperate for hours (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

it was good for teh first 4 mounths then went down hill

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Merthyr Tydfil, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Merthyr Tydfil, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct part-time (more than an year)

Pros

i like working in teh old building because we worked more as a team than me do in teh new shop

Cons

i dont get shiffs and i dont get told about any training or extar activitys

I think that they could tell they employers when they go work 2 weeks before not a hour or 2 after trhy shifft was ment to start.

Enjoy working there because your hard work is easily noticed by the management.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I have been working at Sports Direct full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you're a hard working individual your work will be noticed and highly appreciated. it's an expanding company and it's easy to be promoted just need to be committed and motivated to improve the standards of your shop and give the best customer service possible.
    Great career opportunities as its easy to be promoted!

Cons

Long hours, working 50+ hours a week gets to you and sometimes you are simply tired. Your social life is affected.

Promote more people within the company as some worked very hard for a very long time and deserve a promotion. Instead of getting management from outside the company with no retail experience. The staff end up training the management above them, which is not fair as they get paid lot lot more.

it was shocking poor management and they treat staff like slaves!

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (more than an year)

Pros

good work mates nice working with people my own age.

Cons

we were forced to sell socks as add-ons with shoes or face getting hours cut. i was pressured to the point of not being able to sleep on a night i was a very successful seller of add-on products like socks insoles and heel-cups and the manager took advantage of it and treat me like a slave.

stop putting to much pressure on staff especially young people. maybe spend less time trying to impress bosses and more time making life easier for staff and maybe it will be a great place to work until then i say alot of people suing them.

Awful

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Since i've left i've not had one good thing to say about it, the best thing that came out of it for me was that i got treated better than other staff because i used to work at JJB Sports for 5 years.

Cons

0 Hour contracts (should be illegal)
    Lazy and ignorant staff
    More focus on chatting to each other than customers
    Under staffed

Smile
    Treat staff like human beings

Slave labour still exists

I worked at Sports Direct full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The other staff who make going to work bearable, Bonuses are good but are actually only compensating for all the extra hours worked during the year, you will save a good chunk of your wages as you will never have time to spend them!

Cons

You will be expected to work 60 hour weeks, even though you are only contracted to 45 but refuse to work the extra and you can forget about any potential bonuses. Last minute merchandising moves can see you working hours after home time, area managers favourites will always be selected when prixes are up for grabs, no time for a life outside of work, Don't expect any weekends off. zero hour contract staff will be selected based on the managers favourites

Keep it up because without your dedication to ensuring employees are miserable is resulting in good profits for the company

A valuable experience on how to work for an employer that treats its staff as expendable assets.

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only pros I can think of for working for Sports Direct is the staff discount, the ability to earn some cash and to develop people & communication skills.

Cons

I think there are a lot of cons for working for an organisation like Sports Direct. The work/life balance is none existent, as they expect you to work ridiculous hours, sometimes with no breaks, and even on days where you have booked them off for occasions such as weddings. Not just from my own testimony but from others as well, they treat their staff as expendable. If you can't come into work for whatever reason, whether it is college commitments (as i was only part time) or due to illness, they still expect you to come in or "you can look for another job". Also most senior leaders, apart from one or two, have zero people skills and talk to their staff in a very disrespecting and aggressive manner as some sort of motivation tactic or to vent their own frustration.

A top to bottom restructuring of the organisation should be looked at, as well as a better selection process of those in a senior role, such as store managers and supervisors in order for create career progression opportunities and staff fulfillment.

Crushing work environment, staff motivation at a minimum, management were purely number driven unwilling to experiment

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The staff discount is very attractive as it the ability to move work around to suit your personal life (depending if your manager is accommodating to casual staff like mine was). This is the extent of the pros.

Cons

There are exactly zero perks, while we are allowed and receive a staff discount on all items, the discount is only valid on one day for a few hours and we must not be working at the time of purchase so, depending on when it is you are working staff discounts may or may not even be available for you.

Be willing to allow store managers some level of autonomy, regional managers would come to our store and berate low numbers and performance when we as a store are unable to improve due to the allocated hours to the store being too little, as a result, low numbers of staff on busy days which resulted in lower sales than required for us to meet. What happens? Our hours get cut and the cycle continues, there is very little possibility of improvement given these constraints.

Soul crushing, barely legal, mentally screwing hellhole. And no I am not exaggerating.

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

There are none. I wish I could say one positive thing I really do I'm not a fussy person. I just wanted a job to tide me by - it beats unemployment. But not with these people.

Cons

Oh so many.... This is A company that BARELY operates within the law. Everybody is on a 0 hour contract so they can take advantage of staff desperate for hours. No sick pay no holiday pay. They don't air condition to save costs so every day is like working in the Sahara desert. This company needs to be taken through the courts and shut down. The way they treat their staff is criminal. I worked there for 2 years and barely survived, was hardly able to feed myself, let alone have any form of a life outside of work. Despicable company run by despicable people. Keep the I-Pad you're giving away - use the costs to help the poor souls still in employment there.

Well there's only one thing I'd say here and it's for the one particular manager that came after me from day 1 of my employment.

Stay away from me. For your own benefit. The anger I hold in my heart to this day for you is greater than any anger I've ever held for another human being.

Unreliable

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Elgin, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Elgin, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly staff and good induction system

Cons

I was put on a zero hour contract and i turned up to work one morning and me along with the rest of the staff stood outside closed shutters and an empty store. They had shut the branch without informing us and i never saw my managers again and had no chance to get details for a reference

Keep in contact with the staff.

Casual Sales Assistant- awful experience.

Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Hull, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Casual Sales Assistant in Hull, England (UK)

I worked at Sports Direct part-time (less than an year)

Pros

they let you turn down shifts etc and you work depending on your own availability

Cons

This was my first proper retail job and the only training I got was about 2 hours help on the till. I was left to do everything else with no help, and I had to figure things out, which caused a lot of delays during returns etc and tidying/restocking shop floor.
    My colleagues weren't very friendly either- it really didn't feel like teamwork at all, just everybody competing with each other.

BE more supportive and friendly!