Sportsman's Warehouse

Updated July 30, 2014
Updated July 30, 2014

2.8

John Schaefer

Low-Key Laid Back, Low-PAY!

I have been working at Sportsman's Warehouse

Pros

Laid Back, Friendly Environment, Flexible Hours.

Cons

Low Pay. No Career Advancement Opportunities.

Awesome team, crappy company policies

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Sportsman's Warehouse full-time for more than a year

Pros

excellent coworkers, good store discount, nice summer schedule at corporate office, good room for growth - lots of movement within the company

Cons

terrible HR department, must wait one year before receiving PTO, will require personal gear to be used for company purposes with zero compensation, very low compensation, extremely hard to get raises, IT department is a joke

Make sure that all company policies are listed in Employee Handbook - reimbursements for travel, sick days, etc. Re-vamp time off policies to the standard 90 days before accruing PTO, then your employees wont kill themselves making up hours whenever they are sick! The company is doing well and just went public - time to thank the people who did it and start paying off their efforts! Offer company phones/cars for company errands. Get rid of the CIO and reorganize the entire IT department - starting with hiring candidates with an IT background.

Once great now a pain and a laughable workplace

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sportsman's Warehouse

Pros

There are only a few things I like about this company now: Scheduling flexibility, the co-workers (most of them), sales spiffs, and the discount.

Cons

Poor payroll and being constantly short-staffed, constant stress from upper management who have become hypocrites and do nothing besides sit on their butts at their desks all day and aren't held accountable for what happens in their departments but the hourly associates are held accountable, angry customers who are not able to be served because there isn't enough coverage in the departments to do their job in the way the company wants, the company takes much better care of their customers than it does its employees, the pay raise system sucks, the technology in the store is out of date and constantly crashes. The hourly associates are rarely praised, and the company doesn't take notice...ever even though the hourly associates are the true backbone of the company.

Open up more payroll. Constant leverage is killing the employees to the point that we are unable to process freight in a timely way, have several pissed off customers because we can't serve them because of being so short-staffed. One employee usually does the work of four people all the time. Hold the department managers more accountable for what happens in the departments, and make sure they do more than sit at their desks all day while playing around on their cell phones instead of actually working in the department. Update the technology in the stores. Do more for the hourly associates since they are the backbone of the company. We make easily half as much as the dept managers but do twice or three times the work. Open more stores on the eastern side of the U.S. Everything is so heavily concentrated in the west that it seems like the eastern side isn't even being considered for growth even though we have a large customer base.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun environment

Former Employee - Clothing/Footwear Manager
    Former Employee - Clothing/Footwear Manager

I worked at Sportsman's Warehouse full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great co-workers, with similiar interest,

Cons

Was poorly run while I was there,

Dont buy everything on credit, and dont expand to quickly.

Once you're in they want you out.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Sportsman's Warehouse

Pros

Nice discount, get a good heads up on .22 bullets. Customers are easy to relate with.

Cons

Worked here for a year and suddenly I am theirs to take full advantage of. Told that my religion doesn't reign over work and that I was unable to attend church services if I was scheduled to work. Everyone used profain language. Accused of theft over using a quarter or two from the CHANGE CUP that customers left unwanted change for others to use. Told it was "property of Sportsmans whether on the floor or in the parking lot, it belongs to the company". Lied to about hours I was hired on for, told I would work mornings and worked nothing but closing shifts. Also held bullets in back room, employees took them whenever they felt free to do so, thus they wee lying to customers.

If someone takes a few quarters out of your change jar (NOT YOUR TILL) where customers leave their change for others to use, take a deep breath. Your a million dollar, corporate America company. I am sure you won't miss a few coins that didn't even belong to you. That change was left for customers, me using that change with my own money made me a customer as soon as my money hit that counter. Either way it was going to go Into your safe. Instead of costing you a few coins, it lead to me quitting because I was so offended. You lost your front end employee that has bailed out the office and store manager of that particular store several times. Good luck. I will never regret my decision to leave.

Fun place to work

I worked at Sportsman's Warehouse

Pros

Great place to work if you love the outdoors

Cons

cant really think of one

never knew em

I found my employment fun and interesting.

I have been working at Sportsman's Warehouse full-time

Pros

The job itself and the people are amazing.

Cons

My only complaint is the pay is below average for my experience.

Only that it would seem to me to be better to pay the better class of employees higher pay and not use a temp agency.

Great Environment

I have been working at Sportsman's Warehouse

Pros

Everybody that works there is like family. They treat you well and it is a very relaxed environment. Very flexible with my school schedule. The discount is amazing. Overall it was a great experience and I learned a lot.

Cons

The pay is probably the main con. I have almost worked there for 5 years and have not gone up much in pay. Nobody really has. I started off with $8 an hour and now I am up to $8.65 in almost 5 years of being there.

I wish better pay opportunities were there. I would love to stay for sure because the environment is so amazing.

Good experience and support, pay not so great.

Former Employee - Loss Prevention Agent
    Former Employee - Loss Prevention Agent

I worked at Sportsman's Warehouse full-time for less than a year

Pros

-The camera system was one of the best I've seen or worked with, lots of money/support put into this by corporate.
    -Casual regional/district management - as long as results were produced, we were more or less left alone and allowed to do our jobs with little micromanaging.
    -Support from the store was unparalleled with any other company I've worked in Loss Prevention for, everybody wanted to help us and helped feel like a team environment.
    -Manager was probably the best I've ever had, stressed the importance of my school schedule/work-life balance, time off when needed, taught me a lot about LP.
    -Fantastic learning environment for loss prevention, gave me good skills to transfer with.
    -Discount was fantastic, best I've ever seen.

Cons

-Pay, especially for the area and theft levels, was very very poor. I transferred to another company nearby, and with my skills/experience from Sportsman's I was offered nearly 1.5x what I made. Pay caps at around $10/hour for an Agent position.
    -Corporate would sometimes enforce ridiculous rules - ex, no apprehending accomplices, even if they were actively stopping you from apprehending. They seem to have rules that make sense on paper, not so much in the field.
    -Upward growth is severely stunted, there is almost no room for advancement in LP unless you want to be stuck in an underperforming store and/or receive a ridiculously low rate of compensation as an LP Manager.

-Communicate more with the realities of high-performance stores with high theft levels. There are situations that present themselves that are out of the norm for other areas and need a different approach.
    -Reevaluate compensation - with all the money poured into creating extensive CCTV systems, it would seem to make sense to compensate the operators similarly!

The Wal-mart of sporting good stores

I worked at Sportsman's Warehouse full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The customers and the people you work with

Cons

Their mission statements speaks for itself..."growth through profit"... uh what about the people who helped you get there, ie: customers and employees

Get with the program of incorporating ethics, morals and family values into management actions. Many companies do this and are very successful, not just $$ success either. The $$ will follow after.

Worked for Sportsman's Warehouse? Contribute to the Community!