Sportsman's Warehouse

Sportsman's Warehouse Reviews

Updated November 24, 2014
Updated November 24, 2014

John Schaefer

Very nice laid back atmosphere.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Sportsman's Warehouse full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The management is very helpful. Lots of great stuff to buy that is very useful.

Cons

To much gossip in the work place. Hard to know who you can trust.

Just keep doing what you are doing.

Mismanagement and laughable salaries

Former Employee - Cashier in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Sportsman's Warehouse

Pros

There are some great people who work here

Cons

The company is rather unorganized and dysfunctional, or at least the one I worked at. The favorites always get their way and very rarely get in trouble. A couple of favorites made a racist comment about another coworker but since they were favorites, management made sure it did not get to corporate. Most companies would have suspended or fired these people for the comments they made. One manager has received numerous complaints from customers for being rude and has not been disciplined. Another manager sits at his deck 90% of the time they are at work. Another manager does not make the schedule for his department and allows an associate to do so; therefore that associate gets the best schedule and never closes while everyone is stuck what this person gives them.

The pay is just sad. It is barely above minimum wage. I know it's retail but still. A college student was laid off while they keep people who only have this job for the discount and have actual careers. The student liked his job and obviously needs the money more than someone who works once every two or three weeks. Instead of getting rid of these people, they get rid of the one who needs the job. When I left this company, a majority of the people there were looking for another job and there was always a high turn over rate when I was employed here. The managers act like it is such a great place to work but it really isn't

The return policy is laughable. The managers will approve almost any return no matter how long ago the purchase was made or how bad of shape the product is in. I personally was given an okay to refund stuff that was bought well over a year ago.

This company could really benefit on some outside help to better manage this place. Leaving this place was exhilarating quite frankly.

Get your act together.

Worst company ive ever worked for

Former Employee - Order Fulfillment Department in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Order Fulfillment Department in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Sportsman's Warehouse full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co Workers, thats really about it, the people I worked with in my department were the only reasons i came in to work eveyday, made some friends that are life long friends

Cons

Where do I start lol, first ya have to come in as a temp employee and work so many hrs which I understand but when pay starts at $10/hr (I see from some of the reviews thats more than what they pay some of the people in the stores) its hard to be really motivated when you realize that there's NO advancement potential, management treats you like their personal property and not a human being, as well as publicly putting people on blast in front of the entire dept for things that should be handled one on one, no moral boosting that you see in other companies they make it seem like they're the only job around and you're to do it or you'll be unemployed for a very long time, no "good job" props, and if you're slacking in job performance they'll just tell you about what other people are doing and say "do that" instead of giving you pointers and other help to bring up performance, once ya get placed in a particular spot in the warehouse, you're basically stuck there, they rarely shake things up to give you a different section to work in, little to no raises in pay, health plan is a joke, the only perk they have is the employee discount (cost +10% on items purchased in store), no communication between mgrs and lead reps as well as other departments, management running the place is ridiculous, not really helpful with any issues whatsoever, not helpful with things that may come that are essential in an employees personal life (IE family, medical apt-issues) good luck to requesting time off if ya have it (PTO isnt even available until you've been a full time (non-temp) employee for 1 yr. and with things that were circulating around with how many stores being rumored to be opening in the next 2 yrs gives the feeling that the warehouse DC will burst at the seams and a feeling that a 2nd bankruptcy is inevitable

No matter what ideas an employee may have, management isnt interested in them, the place needs a complete overhaul of management starting at the top and going all the way down, its a miracle with how the place is run that any of the stores get their inventory

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Sportsman's Warehouse full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company invests in employees, with education in product and education in benefits creating an overall wonderful place to work. Great discount policy.

Cons

Payroll is tight, you can see it in the exhausted managers and associates trying to make up for it.

Help us out with payroll.

great

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Sportsman's Warehouse full-time (less than an year)

Pros

awesome environment and people. decent pay

Cons

working on weekends. lack of opportunity for advancement

provide more encouragement

Absolutely terrible experience

Current Employee - Cashier in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Cashier in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Sportsman's Warehouse part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discounts on things, yep that's about it

Cons

Where do I start. Working in the front end was the most drama filled position I have ever worked. Everyone played favorites especially the front end manager. I was working customer service until a bit prettier girl starts working and she takes over customer service and I get put out on the floor. Another time i told my manager on a Monday that on that Friday I had to take my husband to surgery and I would try to find someone to take my shift and she said if not it's okay, that Friday I didn't find anyone and called in and was told it's okay we will figure it out. I take my husband to surgery and afterwords I have to pick up my check from Sportsmans on our way home and my manager was mad because I didnt come to work even though I already talked to her about it so she wrote me up because a couple months before I called and told her my truck broke down our on a country highway and I called an hour and a half before my shift told her that's truck won't start and phone is about to die, I only called in twice with things that came up unexpected out of 8 months working there. There have been many other problems. Management is worst part of this company. I was "fired" by HR. I was scheduled off for the day and I had a job interview lined up for my day off and I get a call 10 minutes after 10 in the morning stating I was supposed to be in at 10 and my schedule said I was off, apparently the schedule was revised without my knowing and my manager calls me and tells me if I don't show up for my shift that will be considered my resignation. So I called HR and told them and they told me it was my responsibility to check my schedule on the board and when I did the night before nothing was there. HR told me I no longer worked at Sportsmans. Don't apply there if you consider it, all you're gunna run into is critics that don't care about you.

Why don't you get to know your employees and treat them like they actually matter because without them you don't have a company. Don't play favorites and play fair and don't assume your employees know everything you do.

Low-Key Laid Back, Low-PAY!

I have been working at Sportsman's Warehouse

Pros

Laid Back, Friendly Environment, Flexible Hours.

Cons

Low Pay. No Career Advancement Opportunities.

Awesome team, crappy company policies

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Sportsman's Warehouse full-time (more than an year)

Pros

excellent coworkers, good store discount, nice summer schedule at corporate office, good room for growth - lots of movement within the company

Cons

terrible HR department, must wait one year before receiving PTO, will require personal gear to be used for company purposes with zero compensation, very low compensation, extremely hard to get raises, IT department is a joke

Make sure that all company policies are listed in Employee Handbook - reimbursements for travel, sick days, etc. Re-vamp time off policies to the standard 90 days before accruing PTO, then your employees wont kill themselves making up hours whenever they are sick! The company is doing well and just went public - time to thank the people who did it and start paying off their efforts! Offer company phones/cars for company errands. Get rid of the CIO and reorganize the entire IT department - starting with hiring candidates with an IT background.

Once great now a pain and a laughable workplace

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sportsman's Warehouse

Pros

There are only a few things I like about this company now: Scheduling flexibility, the co-workers (most of them), sales spiffs, and the discount.

Cons

Poor payroll and being constantly short-staffed, constant stress from upper management who have become hypocrites and do nothing besides sit on their butts at their desks all day and aren't held accountable for what happens in their departments but the hourly associates are held accountable, angry customers who are not able to be served because there isn't enough coverage in the departments to do their job in the way the company wants, the company takes much better care of their customers than it does its employees, the pay raise system sucks, the technology in the store is out of date and constantly crashes. The hourly associates are rarely praised, and the company doesn't take notice...ever even though the hourly associates are the true backbone of the company.

Open up more payroll. Constant leverage is killing the employees to the point that we are unable to process freight in a timely way, have several pissed off customers because we can't serve them because of being so short-staffed. One employee usually does the work of four people all the time. Hold the department managers more accountable for what happens in the departments, and make sure they do more than sit at their desks all day while playing around on their cell phones instead of actually working in the department. Update the technology in the stores. Do more for the hourly associates since they are the backbone of the company. We make easily half as much as the dept managers but do twice or three times the work. Open more stores on the eastern side of the U.S. Everything is so heavily concentrated in the west that it seems like the eastern side isn't even being considered for growth even though we have a large customer base.

Fun environment

Former Employee - Clothing/Footwear Manager
    Former Employee - Clothing/Footwear Manager

I worked at Sportsman's Warehouse full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great co-workers, with similiar interest,

Cons

Was poorly run while I was there,

Dont buy everything on credit, and dont expand to quickly.