Spotify

Updated December 3, 2014
Updated December 3, 2014
3.7

Daniel Ek

Pros
  • Great employees, smart people, and generally a wonderful work environment to be in (in 5 reviews)

• I consider my coworkers my friends, and there's a great work life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Stock option program benefits only the upper management, with even the oldest employees left with minimal benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Stock option program is a bit of a joke to be honest (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Brand Ambassador

I have been working at Spotify

Pros

Relaxed, fun, everyone loves music! You will find someone who is into your kind of music too! Helps you get involved in campus.

Cons

Maybe too relaxed! Sometimes people got away with out doing much. Most important thing was getting signs ups which was just a popularity contest really.

A Dream Work Environment!

I have been working at Spotify full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Spotify truly cares about its employees and their professional development. Flat management structure that values unconventional, innovative thinking.

Cons

If you prefer structure and like to be told what to do, the freedom can be intimidating. You must be a self-motivated doer.

Maintain the culture at all costs, don't let an IPO / acquisition change things

Current Employee - Campus Influencer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Campus Influencer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Spotify part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Management was very friendly, eager to give out incentives. We were given swag quite frequently and it was definitely a fun job to work for if you love Spotify.

Cons

Some of the cons working here are that they hired so many people for the campus influencer position that it almost felt phony. They had us post a lot of cheesy statuses that most people would not buy into.

Awesome!!

I have been working at Spotify

Pros

Great atmosphere, incredible energy and team work. Hip, young and focused. Growth is exponential

Cons

There was nothing that jumps out to me for why this company has any cons. The only thing I can point to is the direction of resources applied.

Great people, good opportunities, mediocre technology

Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Spotify full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Spotify feels motivated, yet more casual than other similar companies I've worked at. I consider my coworkers my friends, and there's a great work life balance. There's opportunity for technical growth and leadership if you're assertive. In my experience hack weeks and days are actually real and not too hard to schedule in.

Cons

Mediocre benefits compared to competitors. Mediocre technical stack with a lot of technical debt, although we are improving in this area. Highly autonomous teams can lead to poor design. Performance and compensation review process is poorly defined and hard to fathom. A lot of the less experienced technical staff drink the company koolaid and do not see its shortcomings.

Former Employee - Campus Influencer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Spotify as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Looks good on resume, connects like minded people

Cons

The pay is terrible for the work

Take in less members, and use the ones you recruit better

Great idea for a program, but it definitely needs more work.

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Boston, MA

I worked at Spotify as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It was great to have a company as known as Spotify on your resume. The people working to help with any problems or concerns with any aspect of the street team were very nice, approachable and got back to you quickly. They also provided a fair amount of marketing incentives such at t shirts, stickers, pins and premium account codes. They also had monetary incentives for the most influential brand ambassadors among the many others participating in colleges around the country.

Cons

There could have been more thought put into how this benefits the students participating in this program. Instead of just focusing on how people could learn more about Spotify, I feel like they could have put more effort into how the students would learn and grow from this experience. They didn't really provide any guidance or tips on how to engage various clubs and organizations to get interested in working with Spotify. Maybe even providing some insight on the world of streaming or skills to help them transition into the music business.

Make it more worth while for the students as far as learning goes. The money aspect is nice and it does provide incentives to get people to push the Spotfy brand, however that doesnt provide any sort of learning experience for the student. I wish I would have been able to learn some of the skills that Spotify asks for on some of their job offers. Maybe even create some street team aspects that are more on the marketing education side instead of just providing the tools.

Former Employee - Campus Influencer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Spotify part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Management was always in constant contact which was very helpful. They were always willing to help you set up campus events that would ultimately increase your sales.

Cons

There are a large number of students worldwide in this program and at your University. It would be helpful to create a way to unite campus influencers on campus to ultimately establish larger sales/promotion events.

Amazing ride

I have been working at Spotify full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some fantastic people, very smart, working with a product that people love

Cons

Political at times, management can be very chaotic

Try and bridge the big gap between how the company appears on paper and how it really works.

Spotify is "Different"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Spotify full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best group of peers I've ever worked with, both in terms of talent and culturally as well. My friends at work are what I look forward to the most going in to work every day.

Cons

Compensation is sub-par, and equity is poor for a pre-IPO company. Revenue growth is tied to expanding to new markets, and it's not clear what will happen when they run out, or when Apple's marketing muscle gets behind Beats, or Amazon finally goes all-in. US teams are also not given the attention or transparency into goings on in HQ, and seem to be held to a double standard because of the higher wage structure. Feature work is often scattered where the approach seems more "shotgun" than tied to an overarching vision. Technology solutions are often overcomplicated with no sense of standards/governance either; the common answer as to why is often that "Spotify is different", which, while accurate, is no excuse for management to avoid the challenges of coming up with a more well defined organization that scales.

Make a decision on either committing to truly building out tech in the US, or admit to the existing employees that the vision moving forward is more along the lines of "containment". If the aim is granting all teams true autonomy (including those in the US), then hold true to that rather than adding exceptions dependent on "lifelines" to HQ.