Spotify

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Daniel Ek

Campus Influencer

Campus Influencer (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsManagement was always in constant contact which was very helpful. They were always willing to help you set up campus events that would ultimately increase your sales.

ConsThere are a large number of students worldwide in this program and at your University. It would be helpful to create a way to unite campus influencers on campus to ultimately establish larger sales/promotion events.

Amazing ride

ProsSome fantastic people, very smart, working with a product that people love

ConsPolitical at times, management can be very chaotic

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and bridge the big gap between how the company appears on paper and how it really works.

Spotify is "Different"

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsBest group of peers I've ever worked with, both in terms of talent and culturally as well. My friends at work are what I look forward to the most going in to work every day.

ConsCompensation is sub-par, and equity is poor for a pre-IPO company. Revenue growth is tied to expanding to new markets, and it's not clear what will happen when they run out, or when Apple's marketing muscle gets behind Beats, or Amazon finally goes all-in. US teams are also not given the attention or transparency into goings on in HQ, and seem to be held to a double standard because of the higher wage structure. Feature work is often scattered where the approach seems more "shotgun" than tied to an overarching vision. Technology solutions are often overcomplicated with no sense of standards/governance either; the common answer as to why is often that "Spotify is different", which, while accurate, is no excuse for management to avoid the challenges of coming up with a more well defined organization that scales.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a decision on either committing to truly building out tech in the US, or admit to the existing employees that the vision moving forward is more along the lines of "containment". If the aim is granting all teams true autonomy (including those in the US), then hold true to that rather than adding exceptions dependent on "lifelines" to HQ.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome

ProsGreat culture, wonderful opportunities, challenging and interesting.

Conssometimes work/life balance is tricky. Internal growth may be an issue.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat international company that's going places.

ConsQuestionable decisions from management and sometimes places the wrong people into roles by default.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people more.

Best company I've ever worked for!

People Operations (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere is a real commitment to continuously improve the organization, and everyone is eager to learn new things. There is tremendous growth in the company, so there are always exciting things happening.

ConsOur massive growth have led to some growing pains, and it's sometimes frustrating to find that we don't have working processes for some basic things figured out yet.

SotifyU Campus Ambassador

ProsLove the brand and people

Consit's an internship opportunity

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Spotify Campus Influencer

Spotify Campus Influencer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat People, Great Work Ethic

ConsNo con with this company

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent with influencers

Horrible management practices

Pros- great people at the non-director level, everyone is open-minded and passionate about their jobs
    - great culture and office

Cons- the HR team structure is ridiculous and the people in management roles does not have strong values (they talk the talk but would not walk the walk and will not stand up to do what is right and fair)
    - the compensation and performance management structure does not make sense (salary reviews are not tied to performance)

Advice to Senior Management- have an avenue to listen to all employee thoughts. the structure is set up in such a way that lower level employees are not protected and won't be set up for success if they are managed by a weak manager who is afraid of being challenged

amazing place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSpotify is an amazing place to work - the people are incredibly welcoming, there is a lively, exciting culture, and its an ever-growing business which makes you excited to come to work everyday. The company really cares about its employees and fosters an environment that encourages a "work hard, play hard" mentality.

ConsManagement can be somewhat disorganized - the company is new and growing quickly, so a lot of things get lost in the madness.

Worked for Spotify? Contribute to the Community!