Spotify Reviews in Stockholm, Stockholm

Updated August 12, 2014

4.2

Daniel Ek

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A great and relaxed place to work at.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I have been working at Spotify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Projects that develop you in your profession. You have a great trust from managers. It is easy to combine family and life balance with freedom and trust from management and team. You have great colleagues to learn from in all different areas. Decent possibility for going on conferences and seminars.

Cons

Often very new managers with not to must experience. High pace that gives little time to reflection. Fast growing organization that gives some bios. Sometimes unclear directives from management, hard to prioritize.

Better offices, ventilation, and bigger desks or better storage for your stuff.

Challenging, frustrating and a lot of fun.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I have been working at Spotify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of smart people to learn from and force yourself to become better, tons of responsibility and freedom in the projects you work on. Very flat organization and decentralized decision making. Very challenging scalability problems. If you love music it's great to work on improving and scaling a product that you use yourself every day.

Cons

Sometimes chaotic due to lack of central coordination and very fast growth, struggling with figuring out how to grow and scale the organization and experiencing a lot of growing pains. Employee benefits could be better.

Move aggressively to remove remaining centralized bottlenecks so that the decentralized organization can be more productive. Work harder to make Spotify an attractive workplace for engineers.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I have been working at Spotify full-time

Pros

I enjoy working here. The tech is interesting, and the growth (users, systems, colleagues, etc) is really a great challenge. If you like fast, technology-driven companies, Spotify is for you.

Cons

The upper management is, I think, truly trying to reach out and understand what's happening behind the powerpoint slides. But I think they're too busy to realize that they just need to mix more with the rest of us to get a better feel of what is happening.

Move out of your meetings, sit with your teams more often, in the background. It's hard to hear the heartbeat of a company via slides and meetings. Better to sit among normal folk and... listen.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesomly Playfull

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I have been working at Spotify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Quick paced, top notch technology company, loads of areas to have fun, awesome pack, all the music you could want!!

Cons

Probably the fact that there is so much fun stuff to do that you can't actually get your hands on work!

Spotify Response

May 13, 2014HR

Thanks for the review! It's a lot of fun going on!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Student Ambassador  in  Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)
    Current Employee - Student Ambassador in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I have been working at Spotify part-time for more than a year

Pros

Creative culture, goal oriented, open. People seems to love and are proud of working here, is my first impression. Great with social activities like workshops, seminars and music sessions, etcetera.

Cons

I have not worked there long enough to say. "Work hard, play hard" seems to be a fitting motto, which may not fit everyone well.

Think about how you can keep the highly entrepreneurial spirit while scaling.

Spotify Response

May 13, 2014HR

Thanks!

Great culture, great people, great potential

I have been working at Spotify

Pros

Fast-moving, exciting environment, great coworkers, friendly people - that says it all. Growth opportunity both in company and environment are tremendous.

Cons

Fast-moving - puts a lot of pressure on employees and management. Lot of changes amongst seniors.

Keep on moving, keep changing - but make sure you create stability and a solid organization. And keep transparence!

At home at work

I have been working at Spotify

Pros

It feels like I have come home. Working at Spotify is being able to work with awesome and challenging projects at the same time as you hang out with your friends. It is a fun, international and young environment where everyone is really positive, passionate, social, ambitious, talented and want to more things forward. There is no one who says that something "cannot be done", or "we have tried it before". And things are moving fast, there is no waiting around for long and bureaucratic processes, rather the opposite. Run fast or you might miss the train. There are so many possibilities to try out your ideas, basically only your fantasy is stopping you.

It also feels like we are all a part of something bigger, it is not just working for a company, it is working for a change of the entire music industry and a change in consumer behaviour. There is a genuine pride of the product and the company among the employees and the management, which I believe is essential.

Regardless of which area you want to work with, (technology, sales, marketing, HR, product development, growth, analytics, legal, finance, label relations or customer service) there is likely to be a cool career opportunity within Spotify.

I know this could sound too positive, but it is my view, and I have tried several other work places and have never experienced anything like Spotify. (Or heard of friends liking their work place as much.) Come join us!

Cons

If you feel like you need a lot of processes in place, knowing exactly what you are supposed to do every day, need peace and quiet at work (yes we do play music at the office sometimes), or if you don't like quick and constant changes, then this is probably not your place to work.

Keep up the good work, the inspiring talks, the internal transparency about where we are heading and the fast moving pace.

Great startup spirit with brilliant people!

I have been working at Spotify

Pros

Walk to work with a smile on my face every morning.
    Great to work with world class people who are best in their fields.
    Extremely collegial atmosphere where everyone truly is working as one team.

Cons

Be ready to be agile! Very fast moving start-up and nothing is today what it will be tomorrow. Stability junkies beware.

Continue making efforts to keep the positive spirit and collegiality as the organization scales very quickly and gets geographically dispersed.

Worked for Spotify? Contribute to the Community!