Spotlight Group

CEO

I've learned about communication and leadership at Spotlight Group

Current Employee - Campaign Manager  in  Edina, MN
    Current Employee - Campaign Manager in Edina, MN

I have been working at Spotlight Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Spotlight Group is a great place to work if you're willing to step outside your comfort zone. Before I started here, I was hesitant about speaking in front of large groups or connecting with people right away. The transition was fun to watch at Spotlight Group. Seeing how much I was able to learn and apply in a shorter time frame than most other companies. I learned how be an effective communicator and moreso about skills I am learning in business and how to apply them to life in general.

Cons

If you are not outgoing or willing to adapt then it is probably not the place that best suites you. All you need to be successful is determination. They teach you the rest.

Continue to offer chances to learn hands on and connecting to other things- that helps significantly.

Great first step in a career

Former Employee - Coorporate Buyer  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Coorporate Buyer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Spotlight Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked for this company for 6 months as an intern. They gave me a really good experience, great networking opportunities. The position gave me a lot of useful information and basic marketing strategies that I use in my current position.

Cons

Biggest challenge was the hours for me-but seriously, if your not looking to work hard in, the entry level, you shouldn't be in the business or marketing field.

Consider giving out more inventory as bonus'-the products are cool.

Dynamic Team Style

I have been working at Spotlight Group

Pros

The connections I've made while working at Spotlight Group have enriched my personal life and my professional profile. Our collaborative, teamwork - driven atmosphere has brought me very close to my fellow marketing specialists. I know that I can count on other team members for help, and I've been especially excited with helping to train the new additions to the team. Our team is getting stronger all the time with the ideas we have and share.

Cons

Not a ton that I can think of, my experience has been positive overall. We've had a new addition who wasn't willing to work as hard as the rest of us, but that's about it. I found that my hard work has been rewarded.

I like all the of the team nights and staff team development activites.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Misleading

I have been working at Spotlight Group full-time

Pros

Great co-workers, opportunities to network

Cons

The interviews are very misleading. I applied for a "Sports and Fashion Marketing" job and ending up standing in Sam's club 8/9 hours a day selling products. Also, you are required to attend morning "atmosphere" for an hour and a half in the morning as well. So basically you are working 9/10/11 hour days, 7 days a week, for terrible pay. They tell you it's not about how much you sell but essentially everything about the job is actually based off of what you sell. Your pay check is crap unless you force these people to buy the product, you don't get promoted unless you sell enough and "ring the bell", if you don't "ring the bell" you get threatened with fewer hours or losing your job. When in the interview process they tell you you'll only be working slightly over half of the days in the "rotation" yet you end up working all but 1. The 1 day you do actually get off, they expect you to spend all day networking or going to team building events so no, you don't actually get any days off. They say the pay outweighs the benefits you don't receive but that's a lie as well. Also, they tell you not to lie to customers while in Sam's Club "promoting" the product and yet, I don't think I ever heard anyone tell the actual truth once. While in your interviews they make it seem like it's this great opportunity to advance quickly through management and that you will be making 6 figures within a year and owning your own company, just know that it's a scam and they are very misleading.

Be upfront in the interviews and don't make it seem like a marketing, events, promotions job. It's a sales job, let people know that.

Terrible investment of time

I worked at Spotlight Group

Pros

Cute meetings in the morning...

Cons

-Meetings are largely useless if you've been in sales/marketing
    -Bait and switch hiring process
    -Low pay
    -No benefits
    -Pushing products like a robot

Hire people for what they actually do. Be straightforward and don't lie by telling people they're hired on as essentially a manager in training.

Spotlight Group makes me a better communicator every day!

I have been working at Spotlight Group

Pros

Spotlight Group emphasizes clear and professional communication in its training. Their commitment to effective communication techniques continues as you advance within the company, and I feel well-prepared for success in dealing with clients and the public as a result. Our clients know they can trust us to produce dynamic promotions with honesty and dependability, too, because of this emphasis. I am a much better communicator both professionally and personally thanks to Spotlight Group and plan to grow into the executive levels there.

Cons

The training may seem difficult to some, but that’s about the only thing approaching a negative that I can think of. I’ve been recognized for my hard work, and I’ve never had a bad experience while working for the firm.

Please continue providing the informative training sessions and team development activities. They really do promote a more efficient team.

Good learning experience, not a place for long term employment

I have been working at Spotlight Group full-time

Pros

Management and staff, fun atmosphere

Cons

income, benefits, shady about company background and history

Sams Club demonstrator

I have been working at Spotlight Group

Pros

Absolutely nothing. Well, maybe that on break you can eat Sams Club's delicious food. The pizza at Sams Club is pretty amazing.

Cons

Applied for a "marketing/ business internship" and that is not what I got. They definitely fool you into thinking that this job is something that it's not. You really stand in Sams Club from 9-9 demonstrating the product and trying to get people to buy it. You either make 7.25 an hour or commission which is a max of 500 a week. The best part is that they make you wear suits while you're working. Why? So you can sweat in your nice expensive suit while standing in target for 12 hours straight!? No thank you!

Don't try to fool your candidates when in the hiring process. I wouldn't have gone through with the second and third interview if I would have known what I was getting into. Save all of us time and money.

Sales Person in Sams Club Played Up as Marketing

Former Employee - Entry Level Marketing  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Entry Level Marketing in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Spotlight Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun group of people to work with

Cons

You stand in a Sams Club for 8 or 9 hours a day approaching people and asking them to buy products, but before that you go to impact where they try to get you amped to do this all day and tell you how much money you can make. The pay is a joke. You make either minimum wage or commission, whichever is higher. Benefits? Yeah, right. At first they tell you it's not about how much you sell, but if you don't "ring the bell" they get upset and threaten to not schedule you anymore. They also expect you to spend time when you're not working going to team building events and networking with people from different states. Just don't waste your time. The promise of promotion and the money you can make happens to very few and it's not worth your time.

Good opportunity if you're up to the challenge

Former Employee - Entry Level Marketing  in  Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Entry Level Marketing in Edina, MN

I worked at Spotlight Group full-time

Pros

Great staff, fun place to work, great opportunity for advancement. If you enjoy sales this would be a great place to work.

Cons

It's much more geared toward sales than they make you think. They say it's not about how much you sell but they get upset if you don't meet a certain standard. It's a lot of work with little reward.

Better communication and run the office a bit more professionally.

Worked for Spotlight Group? Contribute to the Community!