Spotsylvania County Schools

Spotsylvania County Schools Reviews

Updated January 25, 2015
Updated January 25, 2015

CEO

Love helping my kids learn, hate struggling to get by on low salary

I have been working at Spotsylvania County Schools

Pros

Spotsy is a great community to teach in. I have supportive administration who work hard to show they are on our side, while at the same time following through with the demands given to them from the higher ups (school board.) My school in particular has a very diverse student population - high to low income families, all different backgrounds and ethnicities. This can be both good and bad. 2 months off every summer is nice. Benefits as far as insurance coverage are average, nothing spectacular compared to other careers I've seen.

Cons

By far the salary is the WORST. Salary has only gone up 2k in the 5 years I have been there, and it is still ridiculously low to live off of. I am considering changing careers just 5 years in because I didn't go to school for 5 years and earn 2 degrees just to struggle to get by every month. Sometimes they make you almost feel guilty about taking your earned sick days or personal days. As with any teaching job, there is a lot of outside hours work (taking grading or planning home, analyzing assessment data on weekends, taking time outside of school to create better resources than what is given.)

It is not the "management" (administrators') fault at all for our salaries. Teachers are just very underappreciated in this area and that is a reason why education is declining, instead of improving, in Spotsylvania.

A usual teacher experience, your experience will depend on your school.

Former Employee - Teacher in Spotsylvania, VA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Spotsylvania, VA

I worked at Spotsylvania County Schools full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Small rural school district, stable cadre of senior leaders, no surprises, good if you're from the area and want to be in between Richmond and DC.

Cons

The usual teacher problems - low pay, low status. Bad if you want to be close to DC b/c even though it's considered to be part of the DC metro area it's really not, you're over an hour's drive away from the beltway. Some people do it though.

The county is making a positive shift.

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Spotsylvania County Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The kids are the priority.

Cons

Human Resources is not strong, so it is difficult to get a straight answer when an issues arises that requires their help.

The kids are the priority, but the employees need to be thought of as well. Happy employees will work harder for you.

Wonderful School Division

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at Spotsylvania County Schools full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I taught for 2 years in this division. They care about your success and have resources to help you grow. They are division with many forward thinkers.

Cons

Like many school divisions, you deal with the politics of teaching.

Sub Teaching Review

Current Employee - Sub in Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Sub in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at Spotsylvania County Schools

Pros

Great work environment, working with kids is always fun

Cons

Low pay for all the subs it is $25 less a day than the neighboring Stafford county

I think they could try and give a little more feedback to the subs