Spredfast

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014
3.8

Rod Favaron

Exciting technology and great coworkers.

I have been working at Spredfast full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people really make this a great place to work. It's a very self-disciplined organization and there's no room for slackers. The environment is challenging but in a good way. The technology is fun and the relationships with the social networks allow us to do some pretty exciting stuff. Management has always been accessible and helpful. Compensation has been good and I've seen regular salary increases.

Cons

The office could not be more vanilla. Think East Germany circa 1968. There is limited space to get in a focused zone. In theory open offices sound good, but as numerous studies have shown they are terrible for productivity.

We work in social yet it feels like we work for bean counters. Let people express themselves and their creativity.

Initial impressions

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spredfast full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Compensation for the challenging work in a fast-paced, ever-changing, fun market space is on par. It's hard to ignore the perks that come with working in the office.

Cons

Currently employees working at headquarters are spread out over three office spaces. Likely this is only temporary. Certainly a challenge in downtown Austin to find office space.

Keep innovating, challenging, and being the market experts. The competition looks for any chance to gain an advantage. Groom and promote from within.

Great place to work

I have been working at Spredfast full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Very promising business with tons of innovation coming out of product, and across the company. The company launches new products at a rate that is unheard of in SaaS - while most of our competitors move at a glacial pace, we move with #agilispeed which is why we win in the market.

- Leadership empowers their teams to be creative, strategic and take on new opportunities. Not all employees take advantage of that, but it's definitely encouraged.

- Extremely bright coworkers. The company hires the smartest people in social, who also happen to be really cool and fun. Tons of people here are also friends with each other outside of work, which is always a good sign that you're hiring well.

- Company does a great job at celebrating wins. ALso lots of fun perks around the office - free lunch, yoga, trail runs, downtown parking, etc. But the perks don't make the job - if you don't believe in the company, like what you do and like your coworkers, no amount of perks will make up for that.

Cons

- Company moves fast, and employes are expected to also. If you thrive in a startup environment, this is a good thing. But if you are adverse the change or prefer a slower work environment, this can be stressful.

- Keep promoting from within!

My first job—incredible

I have been working at Spredfast full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The perks are awesome (Whole Foods catered lunches, breakfast tacos, pastries, massages, movie matinees, etc.) but it's the people who make this place so special. I am the envy of all of my friends because of the stories that I share about my first big kid job. I know I'm new to the workforce but I can't imagine finding a more supportive and genuine team of people to spend 40 hours a week with. Also, there's an unlimited vacation policy so that 40 hours isn't set in stone...

Cons

Our monthly massages only last 20 minutes? But really I have no cons.

Please continue to recognize our accomplishments and encourage us to step outside our comfort zones—it's what makes this company special.

Fast-paced startup with great people and company culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spredfast full-time (less than an year)

Pros

"Freesponsibility" - a tenet of company culture meaning they trust you to do your work on the time that works best for you. You set your own hours, take unlimited vacation days, run occasional errands or work from home without feeling guilty.

Wonderful teammates - it's great to work with smart people who are all driven towards the same goals. During a recent "hackweek" we all got to work on projects to help improve the business, even if they weren't in our normal scope. The ideas that resulted blew me away. Very collaborative, smart people.

And, there's the daily free lunch.

Cons

Open Office - I'm not a big fan of having everyone all lumped together in the middle. I find it distracting, and would likely be more efficient in a dedicated office or at least a cube. Especially distracting in the sales are where lots of people are on the phone all day.

Great, fast paced company with exciting potential!

I have been working at Spredfast full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Post merger, this company has been moving at the speed of light. Lots of exciting things in the future, everyone still has the "start up" excitement but now we have big company bandwidth to move forward and upwards. With all hand meetings happening more often, every department is now more aware what is going on in each function which breeds excitement about where this company is going. Open environment which some people love. Competitive pay and benefits.

Cons

Challenges include multiple offices in Austin plus remote employees but also adds a different perspective on things. Always can improve on communication and team building. Open environment which some people find distracting.

Keep up the communication and information share between functions.

Merger has been much more successful than I had anticipated

I have been working at Spredfast full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hands-on attention from managers and executives. Great communication top down and back up (responsive leadership team). Culture and values are excellent--love coming to work (and I work in both offices most weeks). Locations downtown are also unique and I love the other people across teams I get to work with everyday. Benefits and flexible work hours are awesome. Confident about the future of the company and the software.

Cons

Challenging for our remote and international employees to sometimes feel like we're all on the same page and/or feel like we're under one big umbrella. Still some growing pains but nothing out of the ordinary for a company that doubled overnight earlier this year. Energy level in each office is sometimes inconsistent, i.e. some days you can feel it and others the open environment actually lacks energy because everyone has headphones on or chooses to stay in their immediate area and not move around the office to talk to peers more frequently.

Always make sure we continue to be open and transparent in the communication across the company.

No clear direction on the marketing front, micro managed to death

I worked at Spredfast full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Downtown, close to the Hike and Bike trails. Some great/ dedicated people work here.

Cons

There was no room for growth, no clear direction, lack of innovative thinking. Same regurgitation of ideas from month to month. A couple of smart leaders and some bright minds on the team, but there were some bad eggs in the bunch. The position I took was created and needed, but third parties were valued more and not because of the quality of the work but for other unprofessional reasons. A lot of politics got in the way of actually thinking of better ways to improve marketing strategy. He said, she said... You either fit in or you don't, I'd rather not have to try to fit in and play that game.

Focus on one direction, one strategy, and make it happen. Replace the bad eggs and carry on.

The merger has caused chaos

I worked at Spredfast

Pros

Right there in the middle of the social phenomena. Great, smart services team.

Cons

Too many products make it difficult to tell a cohesive story to prospects. A desire to enable sales teams to sell a complete product line, without the required skill set and a competitive, self defeating training style.

Use a mentor approach to enable knowledge transfer. Train sales management on the product line so they can do more than manage numbers. Review deals with a larger, cross functional team to help brainstorm approaches. Package the offering in small, easily understood bites to ensure a consistent message. Figure out how to offer a lower entry point, ideally a freemium approach. Give away initial training. Stop the madness associated with all this new infrastructure with each stakeholder constantly asking for mandatory meetings. Bring back the team culture and reduce the fear and competition approach rolled out in July.

Nice people but death by politics and sloooow product development

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Spredfast full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are genuine and treat each other well. There are many great perks for employees, such as free lunches, competitive pay, and positive culture.

Cons

So many politics, especially post-merger. This breeds defensiveness, insecurity, and bad management decisions.

Product development is really slow. They make lots of promises to customers that they can't and don't deliver on. Obsessed with competition because they can actually solve a breadth of problems, while Spredfast lacks in many areas.

Stop the politics.