Spredfast Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
2.9

Rod Favaron

Great, fast paced company with exciting potential!

I have been working at Spredfast full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Post merger, this company has been moving at the speed of light. Lots of exciting things in the future, everyone still has the "start up" excitement but now we have big company bandwidth to move forward and upwards. With all hand meetings happening more often, every department is now more aware what is going on in each function which breeds excitement about where this company is going. Open environment which some people love. Competitive pay and benefits.

Cons

Challenges include multiple offices in Austin plus remote employees but also adds a different perspective on things. Always can improve on communication and team building. Open environment which some people find distracting.

Keep up the communication and information share between functions.

Merger has been much more successful than I had anticipated

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spredfast full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hands-on attention from managers and executives. Great communication top down and back up (responsive leadership team). Culture and values are excellent--love coming to work (and I work in both offices most weeks). Locations downtown are also unique and I love the other people across teams I get to work with everyday. Benefits and flexible work hours are awesome. Confident about the future of the company and the software.

Cons

Challenging for our remote and international employees to sometimes feel like we're all on the same page and/or feel like we're under one big umbrella. Still some growing pains but nothing out of the ordinary for a company that doubled overnight earlier this year. Energy level in each office is sometimes inconsistent, i.e. some days you can feel it and others the open environment actually lacks energy because everyone has headphones on or chooses to stay in their immediate area and not move around the office to talk to peers more frequently.

Always make sure we continue to be open and transparent in the communication across the company.

No clear direction on the marketing front, micro managed to death

I worked at Spredfast full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Downtown, close to the Hike and Bike trails. Some great/ dedicated people work here.

Cons

There was no room for growth, no clear direction, lack of innovative thinking. Same regurgitation of ideas from month to month. A couple of smart leaders and some bright minds on the team, but there were some bad eggs in the bunch. The position I took was created and needed, but third parties were valued more and not because of the quality of the work but for other unprofessional reasons. A lot of politics got in the way of actually thinking of better ways to improve marketing strategy. He said, she said... You either fit in or you don't, I'd rather not have to try to fit in and play that game.

Focus on one direction, one strategy, and make it happen. Replace the bad eggs and carry on.

The merger has caused chaos

I worked at Spredfast

Pros

Right there in the middle of the social phenomena. Great, smart services team.

Cons

Too many products make it difficult to tell a cohesive story to prospects. A desire to enable sales teams to sell a complete product line, without the required skill set and a competitive, self defeating training style.

Use a mentor approach to enable knowledge transfer. Train sales management on the product line so they can do more than manage numbers. Review deals with a larger, cross functional team to help brainstorm approaches. Package the offering in small, easily understood bites to ensure a consistent message. Figure out how to offer a lower entry point, ideally a freemium approach. Give away initial training. Stop the madness associated with all this new infrastructure with each stakeholder constantly asking for mandatory meetings. Bring back the team culture and reduce the fear and competition approach rolled out in July.

Nice people but death by politics and sloooow product development

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Spredfast full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are genuine and treat each other well. There are many great perks for employees, such as free lunches, competitive pay, and positive culture.

Cons

So many politics, especially post-merger. This breeds defensiveness, insecurity, and bad management decisions.

Product development is really slow. They make lots of promises to customers that they can't and don't deliver on. Obsessed with competition because they can actually solve a breadth of problems, while Spredfast lacks in many areas.

Stop the politics.

Not Worth It

I worked at Spredfast

Pros

Fully stocked kitchen as well as lunch served daily is a big plus. Also there are quite a lot of smart people who work at the company.

Cons

Micromanagement is a huge issue at this company. The lack of trust between employees and management completely slows down productivity. Further the senior leadership does not have relevant knowledge of the industry to really be in a position to make smart decisions.

Trust your employees who you hired to do their job.

Leadership layer is clueless; stay away

I have been working at Spredfast full-time

Pros

Some great people in the trenches....decent compensation plans....and a good space to be in -- although not near as 'world changing' as all the Austin Hipsters run around telling themselves it is

Cons

While the CEO is a smart and has talent, the layer beneath him is worthless. Insecure, low quality backgrounds, and completely in over their head at anything besides playing on LinkedIn. Result: Micro-managing control freaks in V neck tshirts, who think the world begins and ends in 'Austin'

Hire grown ups from real companies, who actually know what they're doing.

Merger was a good thing..

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spredfast full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very excited about the merger! Great culture and talent from Mass Relevance.
    We've hired some very talented experts in the space recently.
    I'm very excited about the merger and being the leader in the social marketing space
    Attracting a lot of talented people an interest
    Fun environment
    Decent benefits, perks
    payes pretty well

Cons

Egos in leadership, bad attitudes
    too many people trying to make decisions

Delegate, let the experts you're paying, do their job.
    Figure out a way to win, people want to work for the best.

Great coworkers if you are under the management level, but too many politics and not worth it in the end

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Spredfast full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Tight knit group of workers under management level
    - Compensation is decent but not great
    - Fun industry and you get to work with large enterprise brands
    - Some perks like free food, drinks, and some team building events

Cons

- Management favors anyone that has previously worked with them at their last successful company. If you did not you are out of luck.
    - Extremely difficult to move up or get a promotion. They like to hire outside the company for that
    - Management team is not trustworthy or loyal to employees. Too many politics and egos for an Austin startup

Listening, trusting, and being loyal to your employees goes a long way. Give people that aren't from your past successful company a chance. As a former employee I've heard the same thing over and over from other former employees. It's time you actually listened or culture and company sentiment will not improve.

Typical Austin startup. In other words, hubris reigns, not brains.

Current Employee - Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spredfast full-time

Pros

Small company, so everyone knows everyone and hard to hide the fact you are not pulling your weight.
    Free drinks.
    Eye candy.

Cons

Sick to death of this Austin startup mentality where people working at a startup think they are changing the world. Give it a rest. Marketing analytics is not changing the world morons.
    A career dead-end; there are no promotions.
    Low salaries.

Check your ego at the door. Last time I checked, none of you made the Fortune 500. Yes you had some success flipping your previous company, but that doesn't mean you're smart, just lucky.