Spring Mobile

Updated November 22, 2014
Updated November 22, 2014
2.8

Jason Ellis

Very cooperated and good team work

Former Employee - District Manager in Great Lakes, IL
    Former Employee - District Manager in Great Lakes, IL

I worked at Spring Mobile full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Build up together as one team

Cons

Commission and bonus need to be updated.

Practical commission need to be made

Good but not so good

Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Spring Mobile full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a great environment. Goal oriented. Encourage to learn and do everything on your own which build you up for success. Room for advance as they just partner with Gamestop and Cricket Wireless.

Cons

Commission structure and bonuses fluctuates a lot sometimes is ok, others are bad. It should be something more steady as that way associates could be more motivated to achieve goals and to stay with company. So either raise hourly pay or get a steady commission and bonus structure.

Pleasant Group of Staff - Management Team Needs Training

Current Employee - RCS Staff in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - RCS Staff in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Spring Mobile full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good working environment. The staff are warm, cordial, professional, pleasant. They offer an act of helpfulness and will assist you if they are able, whether or not they are a team members in your department. As for balancing work-life, depending on who your manager is you report to. Typically, they are willing to approve time off for you to conduct personal business if it is necessary.

Cons

Some of the management team members are just doing their jobs, as with the staff that are in non-managerial positions. Essentially, you do as you are told and keeping your head down, minding your own business and just do your work. The company is very structured based on policies and guidelines thru GameStop. It is not a company that welcomes feedback, suggestions to doing things better or the invitation to allow the team members to speak their mind and sharing comments, opinions. Based on my experience working there, you have no say other than you stick to your job, doing what you do based on the assigned position, fulfill your working hours, get a paycheck. The atmosphere and the working environment is robotic, dull, stiff, quiet almost too quiet.

Being a retail business, video games, wireless retail services, the office environment is low key, dull and lifeless energy, the dynamics of the company should promote high energy, encouraging all team members (retail or office staff) to input suggestions, feedback, encouraging and welcoming commentaries of staff to help to create a more lively, fun, energetic, engaging and supportive working environment. A work place is where we spend a great deal of our time and the work setting should ideally have a positive and interesting atmosphere. I will agree that many of the managers are good role models, set a great example to lead and coach. There are a few, however, that could sign up for managerial workshops to lead, guide, coach to becoming a highly qualified, suitable manager positions.

Mixed feelings. More cons than pros

Current Employee - Senior Wireless Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Wireless Consultant

I have been working at Spring Mobile full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great team unity. Friendly environment. Great co-workers. Great for those who love sales. Good management from store level. Great opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Ridiculously low pay! Minimum wage, hourly pay of $7.25. Earning potentials are all relevant to your store location. I took a promotion to a struggling store and instead of making more money like a typical promotion, I am making far, far less!

Small stores are forgotten about. Very slow to actually receive promotional pay.

Constantly changing commission quotas that are extremely hard to meet at smaller locations. Ridiculous amount of at&t monthly trainings.

You aren't paid for conference calls or mandatory meetings. They are so called "built" into commission.

Very high turn over rate,and no job security. I've seen alot of demotions.

Managers are in direct competition with their employees

You have to pay your employees for the long hard hours we poor into this company.

Let managers help their team succeed, not take money out of our pockets.

Improve the morale of the company by creating better compensation for small stores who don't have the same earning potential

Know what you're getting into

Former Employee - Management in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Management in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Spring Mobile (more than an year)

Pros

Spring takes care of their own, can't deny that. The level of how you're taken care of depends on what circle of management friends you're part of or what family members you have in high places. For the most part if you work hard and keep you're head down you'll be looked after and have room for advancement.

Cons

Starting pay is horrific. PERIOD. You can't support a family unless you're a manager. Clear cut truth. I've seen countless Co workers come and go because they couldn't raise a family on starting wage. It's minimum wage plus commission. The commission is attainable if you're in a large location, small locations forget it. I don't care how good you are. They fill you're head with mind over matter talks but it's simple, if the door swings arnt there, you're not making money. You literally would make more starting at in and out. DMs are literally just managers who've stuck it out and done well sales wise. Degrees, management skills, post promotion training, none of it goes into play. Highest sellers become managers, highest sales managers become dms. Okay in theory until you realize they have no clue how to motivate and win over other employees trust to lead them. Managers have to do everything period. When I say everything I mean everything including sales. Managers are required to sell alongside their employees and compete with them. You literally have to take pay and food from your employees mouths to hit your own goals. A manager is just a sales rep with higher pay and 10000x the stress. They preach family importance but you might get a day off in a week if you're lucky due to high turnover rate.

Guys I love the vision, values mission and executive leadership. Classy men who I'd gladly follow. After that level it falls apart. Stop filling dms and rms pockets with those att commission checks. You can't start adults with families at $7.25 plus commission in this kind of job. That's why you're turn over is outrageous. COR starts at $12. $4.75 more. Is that not unreal to you? Same job title, expectations, quotas and schedule. Almost 5 more an hour is what your competitors are offering (No I don't work for COR or wireless for that matter) And guys you can't have you're managers compete against your reps. Pay them to Manage. Not sell. I get its more profitable to make them do both, but you'll keep churning through them. I get the way you've done things have gotten you where you are and kudos to those achievements. If you want that tenure to skyrocket I promise you dozens of managers and reps feel this way. This is no disgruntled former employee rant. This is a sad to leave because the structure wasn't there review. Continue to be the difference guys and gals in all sincerity.

Worst dealer in Georgia

Current Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Spring Mobile full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employees that you will work with are always cool just don't expect someone to help you out if you need a shift covered.

Cons

The management is terrible they don't know what they're doing this is because the only way to get promoted is to be in a top performance store. They don't promote based on knowledge they only promote the highest seller's which is insane. There are people running this company that couldn't manage a dog. There are people that work for this company that have years of management experience but they will skip that person to promote someone that is 18 with no experience and it being there first job. Then demote that person after a few months of failures. Smh this makes no since to me. And there pay is absurd. It's minimum wage which is 7.25 in Georgia.

Start promoting people that know what they're doing stop paying minimum wage learn to do your job and then your company can go somewhere instead of just being bought out by another company because the managers are no good.

Sales Runs It

Current Employee - RSC Accounting in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - RSC Accounting in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Spring Mobile full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Potential is huge if you are into sales, male, and white. If you have that look and can sell yourself you will rise.

Cons

Sales runs the show. SOX compliance is hard to adopt showing a culture dedicated toward fraud. Forgiveness for theft and corrupt behavior for managers and upper sales group... Nothing for the non commission or low seller.
    Growing company- means that they are 100% dedicated to buying other companies. Employees that come onboard in acquisitions receive high salary and compensation, those brought in at Salt Lake and work hard- receive minimum possible.
    Extremely poor distribution of wealth and salary.

Clean out the detritus in your RSC.
    Teach your managers to manage- instead of having them in direct competition with their subordinates. Managers should not have personal sales.

Worst commission job I've had.

Current Employee - Wireless Consultant
    Current Employee - Wireless Consultant

I have been working at Spring Mobile

Pros

The hours are somewhat flexible. Crew members are typically easy to get along with and you meet a few genuinely nice people.

Cons

The pay is terrible unless you work in a tier 1 or 2 store (minimum wage is the only guarantee). Employees at lower tier stores can hardly hit their minimum commission tier, which is a laughable amount. The company focuses on contests to maybe make a few extra dollars or win a phone but nothing reliable that pays the bills. The attitude of the management is that of running a cult. We are forced to recite the companies "vision" and "pledge" almost daily. We have numerous conference calls that we don't get paid for being on yet they are mandatory and we have our commission threatened to be held if we aren't on them. Stay far away.

Pay your employees better and stop making bogus threats to be fired or have commission held. Adjust commission tiers to take into account that some stores aren't as busy as others.

Depends on who you work with

Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Rexburg, ID
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Rexburg, ID

I worked at Spring Mobile full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great opportunity straight out of high school to make some decent money
    If you're good you are given responsibility
    A lot of the time you were left to do the best you could by yourself

Cons

Required time especially if you're at the end of the month without meeting goals
    Working with stupid people all the time

Being a store manager requires you to word harder than your employees. With added responsibilities and the requirement to hit high numbers just to get paid a decent wage, I don't know if this model works effectively to keep people in the company. It seems to me there is a huge turnover rate and the cream of the crop isn't what rises but those who can scrounge to hit numbers so they look good.

Forget About the Little Guys

Former Employee - Account Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Spring Mobile full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A fun environment to work in, lots of incentives

Cons

They constantly change the pay structure to make it harder for entry level employees to earn a living wage while the senior employees make exorbitantly more. Very high pressure to hit goals with little compensation when goals are met and even exceeded

Consider solidifying the pay structure and not constantly changing it. While you have created an amazing work culture there is a very clear divide between jr staff and sr level staff, perhaps bridging that gap would not only be beneficial to the entry level employees but they then in turn would be more productive.