Spring Valley Hospital Medical Center

Leonard Freehof

Valley Health System is all about the money

Former Employee - RN II  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - RN II in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Spring Valley Hospital Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people I worked with-thank GOD.

Cons

Back breaking work,not enough support staff. and firing of staff that have reached the top of the pay scales. VHS hospitals are the worst hospital in the system.

Get more help to really give good patient care.

Exposure to different areas was good but just too much politics

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at Spring Valley Hospital Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of hours available to work

Cons

Opportunities for advancement was based on connections.

Discuss changes with staff prior to shoving them down their throats.

Went from great to not so great...

Former Employee - Patient Services Representative  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Patient Services Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Spring Valley Hospital Medical Center full-time

Pros

When I started with the company in the beginning, there was more emphasis on employee morale. That quickly ended along with yearly pay raises.

Cons

CEO was unfriendly to employees. A lot of stress due to patient load led to a lot of unhappy and disgruntled workers.

If you're not going to offer yearly, performance based pay raises, you shouldn't bother employees with having to undergo a formal yearly review.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Back breaking job

Former Employee - ICU RN  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - ICU RN in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Co-workers. The majority are great. Some nurses have issues with belittling others during report time. (They are NOT very skilled themselves so they lash out at others.)

Cons

IV pumps are broken. Equipment is hard to find and you need to search for it. There is not enough help which leads to nurses lifting fat patients all alone. Visitors RUN WILD and lash out at nurses. Again, if there were just one more CNA, our "scores" would go up, which seems to be so all-important to get paid by medicare. One manager actually stopped ordering pens, pencils, post it notes and told her staff to buy their own...that's one of her cost-cutting measures. It's juvenile.
    There are also too many visitors...they take over the patient rooms, demanding to sleep there as they are indigent or stuck in Las Vegas. They are rude and abusive and this is tolerated in the name of "customer service." Patients get better with fewer visitors. Nurses won't go into rooms on a casual basis if they are constantly bombarded with "get me coffee, water, a "visitor meal," etc., and you end up treating them as if they are free guests in a hotel.
    The doctors agree with us, but they are contracted. And they don't have to experience the visitors all day long. We didn't have COFFEE to give to the visitors for two months....trying to save a buck.
    But the stock prices are very, very stable.

Pitch in. Don't flex staff. We need 24 hour ward clerks. Did you know we have all agreed to not answer the phones when they ring? We'll just let them ring because our time is needed taking care ofthe visitors all damned day.

Spring Valley Hospital Medical Center Response

Dec 6, 2012HR Administrator

Spring Valley Hospital is committed to providing the highest level of care and service to our patients and their families. It is unfortunate that one of our nurses does not feel the same way ... More

Spring Valley House Supervisor

Former Employee - House Supervisor  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - House Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Spring Valley Hospital Medical Center

Pros

Good location. Lots of good people to work with. Most areas displayed a large amount of teamwork. Pay was satisfactory.

Cons

Senior leadership seemed to be out of touch with the day to day operations of the hospital. They seemed to lack the necessary knowledge of how things worked and refused to listen to those who do. All they cared about were the numbers.

LISTEN!!!! You have middle management but your support of them is shameful. Stop looking at numbers on a page and look at what is actually going on.

Spring Valley Hospital

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Spring Valley Hospital Medical Center

Pros

People are very friendly from the cleaning and kitchen staff to the nurses and managers to the office and administration. There are lots of educational opportunities, both advanced practice within your field and formal education such as assistance with bachelors to masters programs.

Cons

As with most jobs these days, money is the bottom line and they constantly expect more and more from their employees with less and less to do the job effeciently.

Put yourself in our shoes (for more than one day) and try to do the job you expect us to do with the time and tools we have.

Nurses taking the blame for poor management choices

Current Employee - RN  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - RN in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Spring Valley Hospital Medical Center

Pros

Hard to realize something for this section.

Cons

The new heart program and the surgeon in charge of it.

Hire more help. Keep ward clerks full time and don't send them home to save money.Abolish tedius computer charting systems that rob nurses of patient treatment time. Limit and control visiting hours and back us up when enforcing them. Have security actually make ROUNDS throught the patient care areas and create and show a presence.

Not the worst in the Valley

Former Employee - ICU RN
    Former Employee - ICU RN

I worked at Spring Valley Hospital Medical Center full-time

Pros

Nice co-workers. That's about it for now.

Cons

Little things are rediculous. Honestly, visiting hours around teh clock? Patients don't want 5 people staring at them ALL DAY LONG. I'm not kidding! And more visitors creates more complaints. They hang out in hallways, watch into other rooms. And isolation is a joke. This hospital invites visitors in droves, but they don't have the staff to police them.
    And security is absent. The nurses, again, have to do EVERYTHING. It's crazy.
    Hunting equipment. No one to answer the phones...that's soooooo basic. And the new computer systems is going to let them fire the ward clerks! The doctors put in their own orders wrong and it snowballs.

And the nurses have to draw their own blood and take it to the lab by themselves because this is also supposed to save money. And it take s anurse away from the floor too!
    Crazy.

Look management...if you come to the floor and see nurses sitting around not doing anything THINGS are UNDER CONTROL. Don't send people home.

You don't get it.

Worked for Spring Valley Hospital Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!