Springleaf Finance Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Good Management Experience

I worked at Springleaf Finance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Management Training Program was good for someone early in their career. Advancement opportunities are plentiful and it can be a fun team environment.

Cons

Upper Management was sometimes out of touch with what is going on in the current economy. Sometimes the loan goals were not realistic because we couldn't get approval for the core candidates that we marketed to.

Advice to Management

Try to stay more in tuned with the current market place.

2. Great culture and drive to consistenly improve.

Current Employee - Underwriter in Mendota Heights, MN
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Mendota Heights, MN

I have been working at Springleaf Finance

Pros

I like the constant strive to consistently improve not only the company but also its employees. Springleaf has a fantastic work culture and ethic where the motto is we take our work seriously but never take ourselves too serious. The company truly cares about their employees which makes it a challenging but rewarding place to work.

Cons

The constant change is a good thing as they are always changing to improve but could get frustrating at times. The hours, though are better than say retail, aren't always 8-5 m-f but again they do care about their employees and work life balance.

Advice to Management

Try to spend more time on the continued development of your employees. The constant changing makes managing difficult but you have to take the time to meet one on one with your team consistenly.

Depends on your management

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Springleaf Finance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent vision insurance, casual atmosphere in the branches, decent starting vacation time, promotions from within rather than outside hires

Cons

Certain members of management are TERRIBLY discriminatory and downright insulting and they absolutely play favorites. You cannot have an opinion that differs because you'll be told you're wrong and don't know how to do your job. I repeatedly tried to make my supervisor aware of situations, but was told that I overreact, am too hard on my employees, etc, all while they were doing things they should not have been, but I wasn't allowed to ever express any dissatisfaction with other employees. You will be told to do something, but if it doesn't turn out right, your boss will deny he ever told you to do that. Even if others have heard the same conversation and verify you are right, you will be told you're wrong, insulted, and made to feel worthless. I have been told that I had the mentality of a sixth grader for not wanting to break policy. To the point where I have been forced onto a conference call with a customer completely in the wrong, and then not supported my management because they're so afraid of getting a complaint, regardless of how wrong the customer is. Makes you feel like an idiot. I've been told to give a customer whatever they want to go away. I was continually asked if I wanted more kids while I was pregnant, then on my second day upon return from leave, was told by my direct supervisor that if I didn't request a demotion, he would have me fired because I was unable to manage with two kids, and a husband to take care of. I tried to fight back but was basically told there was no use, then forced to quit within the month. He accused me of things I did not do, said he had evidence but I was never allowed to know what it was. Because in reality he made it all up. I don't know why they have policies in place because you're forced to break them. You're protected if you're higher management regardless of the number of times you just illegally harass or discriminate. Oh, and I can't even tell you the number of candidates that were turned down for their age. I had a VERY highly qualified candidate who was in his 50's and was told that I had to turn him down because he was too old and we just don't hire that type of person ("type" meaning over 25). I was only allowed to hire young, fresh out of college kids who had no work ethic, rather than someone with 10 years experience. Twice I know of people who were told they had positions only to have the offer pulled because the DM just changed his mind after they'd turned in 2 week notices at their other jobs.

5. Personal Loan Specialist

Former Employee - Personal Loan Specialist in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Personal Loan Specialist in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Springleaf Finance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent Bonus Program. Somewhat flexible work schedule if I needed to leave early I could make up time.

Cons

A lot of pressure to make sales. I often felt loans I was doing were not in the best interest of the customer. A lot of collection work.

Springleaf isn't the company it used to be.

I worked at Springleaf Finance

Pros

Helping customers when they need it. Benefits are pretty good. Vacation time for new employees is excellent but they don't do enough for long term employees

Cons

Constantly changing goals No appreciation for accomplishments Very clunky Women are limited Its a boys club Upper management is out of touch with day to day operations

Advice to Management

take better care of your employees

7. loan rep

I have been working at Springleaf Finance

Pros

the company is great. good pay. they also provide great opportunities for the employees. they also give raises annually to some employees

Cons

the con is that everything is unpredictable. the company can change over night and people are be out of work. this is not the best type of job if looking for a stable job

Advice to Management

keep doing what youre doing

8. SENIOR ANALYST

I have been working at Springleaf Finance

Pros

Low living cost in IN

Cons

organizational structure changes a lot

9. Mediocre

I worked at Springleaf Finance

Pros

Flexible schedule, nice co workers

Cons

Terrible culture, management lack of delegation

Advice to Management

Continue improving

OK place to gain experience in the financial industry

Current Employee - Senior Collection Support Specialist in Evansville, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Collection Support Specialist in Evansville, IN

I have been working at Springleaf Finance

Pros

Nice coworkers, decent pay, decent benefits

Cons

There is no way this company will be around in 10 years. Fortress is polishing the company to be it's best just so they can sell it off and make a profit. Large layoffs every few years. Don't plan on sticking around forever. You can only move out of your current position if you know the right people or if you get laid off. Skills don't really matter here. Managers are disconnected from their employees.

Ok Job

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Springleaf Finance

Pros

Closed most holidays, bonus system is great, and company is always looking for ways to improve.

Cons

Depending on where you work (service area), goals can seem unattainable and unrealistic. If you don't have the "can do" attitude upper management will make a point to get rid of you. No room for growth, once you are a Branch Manager that is where you will stay.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to spend money on branches to make money. A lot of the rural branches could use a make over to help bring in more customers.

RSS Feed </> Embed