Sprint

Sprint Reviews in Kansas City, MO

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Sprint CEO Dan Hesse

Dan Hesse

Pros
  • you have free phone service and I enjoyed working with my co-workers(in 153 reviews)

• Work life balance is good depending on which area of the business you are working in(in 119 reviews)

Cons
  • Be prepared to be extremely fake to upper management if you want to get promoted(in 78 reviews)

• Multiple years of staff reductions continues to drive work/life balance challenges(in 26 reviews)

287 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

An outstanding 17 year experience.

Director Corp Center (Current Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsAbility to work in different areas. Like working for multiple companies without having to change companies.

ConsWhen they did away with the pension, they started feeling like any other company. After the merger with Nextel, Sprint started losing what made it such a great place to work (it's swagger). Through all my years there we focused on the network, then the from 2004/5 to 2007 the shift went to focusing on minutes for PCS. The sales teams no longer had to know as much about the network as they did Apps, and cellular devices. Think about it, Sprint enterprise teams were focusing on selling other companies products and applications in order to sell more minutes.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about it, Sprint enterprise teams were focusing on selling other companies products and applications in order to sell more minutes.

At the time, Sprint was in restructuring mode

Group Manager (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsGood, honest, hard-working colleagues in KC corporate offices; Fortune 500 type budgets, salaries, vacation and other benefits; KC was a nice area to live, especially for families.

ConsAt the time, many of the corporate support functions seemed to have redundant positions across and within business units. This made for some teamwork frustrations. This may have been mitigated in subsequent restructurings.

Long Time Employee -- Good Place

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsI've been with the company over 15 years and my career has significantly progressed during that time. In general, the company treats its people well (pay, salary, benefits, work/life balance, time off, etc.). Telecom is truly a dynamic, exciting space that's an integral part of everyone's lives.

ConsA LOT depends upon the group you work in. Right now, the company is facing a challenging battle in the marketplace. Often times, direction can change on a dime and that can create challenges.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sprint was a great place to work overall.

Project Manager (Former Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsAlthough people work hard, there is a real effort to allow for work-life balance, good perks in terms of benefits and a real attempt to develop people professionally.

ConsThe amount of unknowns and near continual threat of layoffs since 2001.

Advice to Senior ManagementDetermine employee strategy, execute quickly, let the dust settle for at least 12 months before turning the world on its head again. I would not recommend Sprint to friends only because of the pending merger and the direction appearing from new leadership makes it seems like a very risky bet as a new employer.

Great People with an average company

Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsFlexible Hours, good pay, good balance

ConsNo connection with the real world.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide to make the company profitable, and care if it is not.

Application Support Analyst II

Applications Support Analyst II (Current Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsGreat work schedules, good pay for the work required, fun place to work

ConsHard to move up without moving groups

Advice to Senior Managementpromote from within groups

Good and Bad side of Sprint

Business Analyst III (Current Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsGreat people - a lot of intellectual capital. If you get under good leadership they are willing to take innovative ideas and turn them into a reality.

ConsPoor morale due to frequency of lay-offs. There is a fear about rocking the boat and introducing ideas, because failure may put a target on you back. People success by relationships over contribution.

Advice to Senior ManagementMinimize proliferation of tribal knowledge. Have information/processes written down so that they can easily be shared and improved. Work on morale.

Great to catch a company in growth mode.

Manager (Current Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsThe last 15 years were solid, there were many advancement possibilities until the industry became saturated about 5 years ago. They pay pretty well and have good benefits. Good job life balance and being able to work remotely is a big plus.

ConsGoing back 10 years or so they did not reinvest into the network enough and have been playing catch up since then. The work force gets cut annually for the last 5 years or so, resulting in new bosses about annually in most departments. Possibility of TM merger makes more cuts likely. Nearly no advancement happening corporately, with the downsizing most gigs are filled with folks coming from another area / disapline that are at that current level.

Advice to Senior ManagementGe the best network ASAP (well on their way) Do not market it until it is ready. Realize that cultural differences between Japan and the US mean that often things that work in one country will not work in the other.

The Dollar and Stats are more important than having Dedicated Sprint Employees.

Customer Care Account Services Specialist (Current Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsGreat benefits, vacation and commission. Coworkers WERE caring and smart. At least, there was a severance package for center.

ConsLayoffs! Took 20 years to go from $7.00 to $18.00. After years of dedicated service now we cost too much and it's time to outsource overseas or to a cheap vendor site.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about the long time dedicated Sprint employees instead of the performance and cost of the departments. Give more advance notice before the layoffs and try to get more qualified employees transferred to another department within Sprint.

Just a resource

Implementation Project Manager (Current Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsThe company has good benefits

ConsNo long term growth potential. Employees are looked at as a resource only and there is no value placed on employees. There is no advancement opportunities. No career development. Strong favoritism. Strong political enviornment

Advice to Senior ManagementI have been with the company 26 years and seen the culture change for the worse. I would love management to put more value on the individual contributor. We took a survey on management and absolutely nothing was done on the results. Management has no desire to treat employees better

Worked for Sprint? Contribute to the Community!