Sprint Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Marcelo Claure

Pros
  • Free phone service for one device (in 169 reviews)

• The best thing about Sprint is the work/life balance that working there provides (in 153 reviews)

Cons
  • Inconsistent direction from upper management (in 102 reviews)

• Terrible work-life balance if working in a retail store (in 39 reviews)

3,577 Employee Reviews

1. The NEW Sprint Nextel, Now is the time.

Current Employee - Retail Consultant in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Retail Consultant in Tulsa, OK

Pros

Sprint has just been overhauled by our senior management team, leading the industry into a new aproach towards wireless service. Sprint owns the fastest and most reliable data network in the US. As a front line employee, you have the tools to provide outstanding customer satisfaction and generate aditional income for yourself.

Cons

As with any retail environment, you must be prepared for all kinds of customers, some will present challenges that cannot be met and could not be met by any compettitor.

Advice to Management

The changes brought on during 2008 have paved the way for growth and development, keep up the good work.

2. works for me

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO

Pros

the work is challenging and my position is very flexible, i give a lot and get a lot. good benefits except for the loss of the pension going forward. my boss is great, probably the best i ever had and one i respect the most tho his is totally overworked

Cons

there was a lot of dead weight around but with each cut, there is less and less left. but there are still some you just have to wonder about...... we need to improve our image, i cant try to 'sell' sprint to anyone with the quality i experience myself

Advice to Management

keep simplifying the business. i am amazed at all the chaff we can lose every day

3. Sprint, a positive force.

Current Employee - Analyst in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Analyst in Overland Park, KS

Pros

The teamwork in my current position is what keeps me here. Integrity is also something that my department opperates under. Sprint is a leader in the telecommunications field. It have value to the public with its superior data capabilities and has been a leader in pushing the technology. Currently the push for management to be aware of creating oportunities for life-work balance is a very positive measure. Many people can now telecommute several times a week, which has helped as gas prices soar. The Overland Park area is situated so it is easy to meet with others over coffee at one of the many Java City areas or over lunch at one of the 4 incredible cafeterias available. With over 14,000 people on the campus, we are a small town and you can get across town walking within 10 minutes to make that face to face meeting.

Cons

Fear of Reduction in Force.

Advice to Management

Continue to be a positive force. Operate using the initiatives. Be flexible to your employees. Fix for the differences in salaries between men and women? Raises show you believe employee hard work matters.

5. A positive opinion on Sprint

Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Steady family enviroment. Even though company has been struggling, im here for the long haul.

Cons

The companies downward spiral, which hopefully is at a steady stop.

Advice to Management

Nothing, they are new and i feel doing a great job on change.

6. Sprint is still a great place to work!

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer I in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer I in Overland Park, KS

Pros

Get to work with a diverse group of smart, funny people...Track record of being innovative and open to new technology and processes...Good benefits (and if you arrive at Sprint from owning your own business or from a small company or from the retail industry- GREAT benefits! 401K 100% vested from day 1 with 5% match- woohoo!!)...Corporate headquarters (the Sprint Campus) is attractive and a great place to work, located in a great area to raise a family...A lot of organizations work from home at least one day a week...You're encouraged to grow personally and professionally...the company is a strong supporter and contributor to local and national charities...

Cons

The constant threat of layoff and brain drain...constant re-organizations...

Advice to Management

Need to improve cross organization communications...rollouts of new products need to be better coordinated...

7. Good company on the mend.

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Irvine, CA

Pros

There are a broad array of technically challenging areas where one can put their talents to good use. From wireline, to wireless, 3G and 4G, from switching, to air interface to backoffice software and systems. If you have come to work, then there is no shortage of fascinating things to be done. The people are just normal folks from top to bottom and that's a good thing because normal is what works best. The pay is good, not stellar, but good and the company does make an effort to reward hard work in many ways. The most pronounced reward is the bonus plan which can add to the family budget nicely if the objectives are met each quarter.

Cons

It's a big company with big company bureaucracy and policies that in some cases seem counterproductive.

Advice to Management

I believe you are on the right course. I would go after the commercial user accounts that was the focus of Nextel prior to the merger. Nextel had higher ARPU and lower churn with that demographic and even though the country is in an economic downturn I believe that the commercial subscriber accounts may be better customers for the revenue and loyalty. But after Foresee's gaffe of trying to push those subs into CDMA you will need to work doubly hard to win them back if you can.

8. Quality products, heavy workforce, snobbery is backfiring - good move with Boost Mobile expansion!

Former Employee - Project Manager in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Lenexa, KS

Pros

A great place to learn the business and the ability to grow if you are willing to put in the time and work required.

Cons

I typically worked 60 to 70 hours a week and was very stressed out.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! 4 years ago I asked my boss why we weren't teaching people how to use these phones with all the bells and whistles, he said because it wasn't necessary. Yes it was. Mr. Hesse must have heard someone say the same thing since I saw him pitching that idea in a recent commercial.

9. Sprint Nextel: They Treat You Right

Former Employee - Applications Developer III in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Applications Developer III in Dallas, TX

Pros

I always felt that Sprint valued me as a whole person. Sprint gave me some slack when I was going through some tough times in my personal life. I have always remembered that. In general, I had some excellent managers.

Cons

In my experience we were always going through 'reorgs', due to layoffs, etc. I worked for several managers in a single year, such that when it came to my review my manager didn't have a clue what I did.

Advice to Management

I think they are doing a good job. The latest layoffs (2009) are going to hurt performance.

10. Positive Sprint Experience

Former Employee - Manager in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Manager in Overland Park, KS

Pros

Opportunities for growth and change, benefits, flexibility, work/life balance, respectful culture, beautiful campus

Cons

company so large there were areas that were not as great to work as others. can be difficult communicating across organizations.

Advice to Management

Need some channel for upward feedback. There needs to be some way for upper management to listen to staff feedback for managers and directors.

11. Great team

Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Open communication, feedback is always welcome, great team environment and mutual support

Cons

Pushing for sales to the point of neglecting customer interests (but that is true for most sales jobs).

Advice to Management

Thank you for ten great years of growth. All the best

Showing 3,577 of 3,630 reviews