Sprouts Farmers Market

Updated August 18, 2014

2.7

Sprouts Farmers Market President & CEO Doug Sanders
Doug Sanders

Pros
  • Mostly fun company to work for, employee discount a huge plus (in 21 reviews)

• Best perk of working for this employer is the 15% discount all employees receive (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay to match the area living needs (in 13 reviews)

• Hardly any store managers, or regional managers, actually know how to deal with people as humans (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Love Working Here

Current Employee - Head Cashier  in  Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Chandler, AZ

Pros

Casual atmosphere, casual dress, great products, great customers, great managers and co workers.

Cons

Benefits could be better but I think you can pretty much say this about any place you work.

I would hold more morning meetings and pow wows and also further develop mentorship and training programs

Great people

Current Employee - Bagger  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Bagger in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

I work sprouts in Los Angeles ... Great people to work with and friendly too

Cons

Nope cons sorry don't have any problem

Keep up with great job

Great company

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Austin, TX

Pros

A healthy environment for all employees- you are sure to learn all about healthy living and all the new trends. All employees get a 15% discount on top of all the amazing weekly sales. "Uniform" is a nice, cotton t-shirt.

Cons

This company is very hard to move up in, starting pay is really low, the managers are micro-managers, if you are a cashier expect to never leave your register, and learn the PLU codes because you will need to know them almost immediately.

Don't treat your cashiers like kindergarteners, let the cashiers move from the front of the store more often. Cross-training should be implemented more throughout the store.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Shop for the produce. Avoid the job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

A couple of the managers in our store actually know their job. The departmental managers are generally very, vertgood, but, unfortunately, have no say in pay or promotions or much of anything else. It is the upper store management that isn't good.

They'd rather bring someone in from the outside than promote someone within. So if you are from the outside, you have have a better chance at a management job. In the last 7 months, 6 store and department management jobs opened up and only 1 was filled from within. Two were filled by demotions from other stores.. Good news if you are not a hard worker.

Hard work doesn't pay off. It is brown-nosing and running to management to tell on other employees that gets you ahead in our store.So if this fits you, even better news. After all, managers love people like themselves.

Oh, and our store has given out no pesky raises so you do not ever have to worry about paying more taxes.

You get more hours off, but not days, at quarter end because store management cuts your hours from 7 1/2 to 5 or 6 so they and regional and corporate managers can make their bonuses and raises.

No need to try to discern what NOT to do. Sprouts corporate excels at coming out with a new rule or policy at least once a week, but usually more often, telling you you'd better do 'x' or you'd better not do 'x' or you are fired, which just is so motivating.

Another nice thing is that you won't have to worry about having a life outside work. They constantly change the schedule week to week so you can never plan on attending classes, joining something, etc. Heck, they've changed the schedule within the week several times on me, and then swore they didn't, but I write it down each Friday and I know they are lying?
    Another nice thing is that store mangement is always infallible. I know because our store management is never wrong. It is always the emploee's fault.

Cons

Hard to find any, if you are in Sprouts corporate or store management with bonuses as part of your comp. Otherwise..you are at or just barely above minimum wage. Several of our employees are at minimum wage.Constantly threatening employees by telling them that they will be written-up or fired if you don't do 'x'. Worst retail chain I have ever worked for, if you are an employee. Not one employee I have talked to out of the 70 or so at our non-mangement store employees believes management cares about them. Neither do most of the 14 department managers or assistants.
    These people are terrible interviewers. They interviewed me for a promotion and failed the interview, That;s right, I actually failed them and am looking elsewhere for another 2nd job. They didn't even understand that interviews are a two-way street abd people are deciding if they want to work for you. Very arrogant in their attitude. I guess when the store manager(s) is making over $100k and almost all their employees earn $9-11 an hour, you lose touch of what matters to them, or at least be polite. The lack of intellect in the questions and knowledge that they had violated the law with several questions and remarks was truly astounding. Then there was the outright lies...

Not one of the over 40 employees in our store, through department managers, I talk to or hear from believe you care even one small bit about your employees, (Only two brown-nosers I do not talk too might, but since I never talk to them, who knows? I guess you should be promoting them sometime soon
    Cut your corporate staff and regional managers. They are mostly terrible anyway. A HR rep came out to 'help the employees' one day and all she did was spend time in the office with store management and when she ventured out ontp the floor, she clung by his side. So helpful.

Your regional people are terrible, with no knowledge of the industry or its common practices, etc.. I worked for a big NATIONAL chain previously, and when I met the regional manger, he asked me my background. He said he had 'never heard of them'. Relly? Have you picked up a trade magazine and actually read it EVER buddy? Everything, and every policy or decision that has had his name attached to it is non-employee friendly and, generally, a pretty stupid idea.

Oh, and the customers hate the constant resets of sections. I have been there 7 months and they have redone almost every section of our store and some more than once.Customers constantly complaining to us employees. Then the products chosen don't fit properly on the shelf. They just did the baby food section and there are actually more tags and products that are supposed to fit on the shelf than there is space. Shall we assume your people never really try out their plans before roll-out?

Get rid of people whose jobs depend on creating new policies and changing the store constantly or you will fail.

Do not recommend!

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

Pros

You get paid weekly. They will work around your schedule.

Cons

Started off averaging 35 hours a week, 5 days a week. Now averaging 25 hours, 5 days a week. Short staffed, cashiers have to check and bag groceries. High expectations. Low pay.

Pressured customer service environment.

Current Employee - N/A  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - N/A in San Diego, CA

Pros

Have to work very hard when its busy but can usually go home if you want when it's not.

Cons

The emphasis is too high on labor percentages. There is a verbal stress on customer service that is undermined by the cutting of hours.

Not worth the stress.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Decent pay and hours, especially if you're in management. The insurance is OK but the deductibles are very high. You get a pretty good discount at 15-20% and they genuinely have good products.

Cons

It is not a female friendly company. It is male dominated, especially when it comes to the pay scale. Every woman manager that I know of makes considerably less money than their male counterparts, including myself. Experience is not a factor because newly promoted men are paid more than seasoned women. And when asked about the difference, management doesn't even try to make up an excuse. It's usually a "just because" answer. They also have a "manager is always right policy". No matter what despicable behavior a department manager does, unless it's of detriment to the store, it will be excused. Your
    Performance reviews are always late, by months. And when you finally do get it, you're lucky if you get a quarter raise. Promotions as well as store accolades are given to those who are favored instead of the deserving. The store politics will mentally drain you. There's rarely an occasion where you can just come to work, do your job in peace and go home. It's really a mess. Just an exhausting, stressed filled mess.

First and foremost, pay fairly. Compensate workers based on performance and capability instead of gender and likability. Second, realize that managers are not always right. They're humans too with likes, dislikes, biases and prejudices like anybody else. A blue shirt does not grant you omnipotence. Finally, train store managers to lead by example. What's the use in having store managers and assistant store managers who breed discontent and drama throughout every department.

All Negative reviews are true

Pros

Leaving this hell hole sooner than later

Cons

All i can say is dont get into management its all bs. Held to this crazy high standard with sub par staff that lacks the training and experience. Nothing but a headache.

Good luck long term. Stock in the crapper. Turnover is attrocious. Training is a joke. Eventually all the crap will catch up with you. What was my store is already down in sales and gross. Thats what happens when you promote inexperienced people who can talk the talk but cant walk the walk. New sprouts motto should be " fake it till you make it " LMAO! !!!!!!!!

It is a good place

Pros

It is a good place

Cons

It is hard some times

Keep opening many many stores

I regret working there.

Pros

Clean store with a surprising variety and selection, given the relatively small space. Prices are better than you might expect for healthy food, but still prohibitively expensive for the working class.

Cons

Management plays that old, tired retail game of trying to make you think you're not working hard or fast enough, even if you are pushing yourself to your limits and beyond. They harken to older, darker days of retail, when things like getting an unscheduled day off, even with plenty of advance notice, is like pulling teeth. Management is quite manipulative and will play games with your hours, scheduling and position. Micro-management is a huge problem. There's no hope of ever pleasing them. I don't know if this is a company-wide problem but the store manager at my store had some pedantic ideas and rules that were not compatible with the business model and the employees paid the price for the disconnect with reality.

Personally, the customers were also a source of irritation; a bunch of whiny, rich or rich-wanna-be snobs. Nothing is ever good enough for them and they are off the charts passive-aggressive. Their behavior is often so childish as to be unbelievable.

Stop working your employees to death. Take a little less profit in exchange for less employee turnover and ultimately happier customers. Maybe once in a awhile, give an employee a raise, if they deserve it. Realize that employees have a life outside of work. Be willing to take an objective look at your policies and procedures from the perspective of employees and customers. Your current course is not sustainable.

Worked for Sprouts Farmers Market? Contribute to the Community!