Sprouts Farmers Market

Updated September 29, 2014
2.7

Sprouts Farmers Market President & CEO Doug Sanders
Doug Sanders

Pros
  • Minimal employee discount, some organic products offered within the store (in 24 reviews)

• All employees get a 15% discount on top of all the amazing weekly sales (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay to match the area living needs (in 17 reviews)

• The store managers were there to tell you what you did wrong but never jumped in to help if you needed it (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Small to large business

Former Employee - Grocery Department  in  Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Grocery Department in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Sprouts Farmers Market full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of employees and management a pleasure to work with.

Cons

To many cheif not on the same page with each other.

Get past the egos and find a system that works. Or you will run the company into the ground.

Produce 3rd

I have been working at Sprouts Farmers Market

Pros

Rewarded for good work, pay isnt bad. They love to promote. And also a nice employee discount.

Cons

Great management, flexible hours....hmmm still seem to be pros

Keep it up!!!

Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier  in  San Marcos, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in San Marcos, CA

I worked at Sprouts Farmers Market part-time for more than a year

Pros

There is potential growth from within.

Cons

The pay is lower then compare to other natural food stores

Treat the employees better

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Short Term Employment- Treated Not so Well 'Til I decided to leave

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk  in  San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Sprouts Farmers Market full-time for less than a year

Pros

15% discount, a fair amount of training, constant evaluation, daily meetings, diverse and interesting employees, learning about healthy (and trendy) food

Cons

managers with difficult personalities, low-ish pay

Managers should keep up the high standards, but express more constructive feedback (don't always tear down). This advice is especially directed to the managers who have been with the company for a while because it seemed that they had some sort of ego- or maybe bitterness- and had little sympathy for those who were new.

Management Just Doesn't Care

Former Employee - Assistant Grocery Manager  in  Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant Grocery Manager in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Sprouts Farmers Market full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It makes for a good part time job. All clerks are fun to work with.

Cons

Management bases jobs off favoritism. When management gets switched around they'll kick out anybody they don't trust (even if they're great at their job) and bring him their favorites from the other stores and give them promotions or raises. And complaints to corporate just go unanswered or ignored. Plus there isn't a formal training...you learn as you go which sucks when your manager doesn't know what he's doing and when something goes wrong they blame it all on you.

Great pay but not enough for work load

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Houston, TX

I have been working at Sprouts Farmers Market full-time

Pros

good pay, fun co-workers, flexible hours

Cons

Favoritism in the management department, drama filled employees and managers, horrible teamwork.

Hire people who actually work hard and not your friends from high school.

Disparagement, favoritism, narcissism, and bullying

I have been working at Sprouts Farmers Market full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoy working with most of the employees.
    Paid weekly
    Learned a lot about nutraceuticals and nutrition.

Cons

-the department managers seem to have lost their ability to feel empathy when it comes to their employees. A manager whom I work with leaves early EVERY SINGLE SHIFT! Their clerk left an hour and a half early due to the hospitalization of a family member and was written up even though she notified the director prior to leaving.
    - my store radiates negativity due to managers on all levels slandering and belittling their employees to the higher ups; using their own employees as scapegoats for their incompetence.
    - the attendance policy is a joke. 13 points means you are fired, however certain people have accumulated points up into the 20s and have not been let go for whatever reason. Which brings up favoritism. Workers are rarely promoted based on skill or experience. If you show the slightest bit of interest for a new position and the manager likes you, then you will most likely be selected for that position even if there are applicants who are vastly more experienced.
    -Annual reviews are incredibly backed up. The only thing inquiring about your past due review will get you is an ambiguous threat about ever getting another raise again.
    -grocery dept. is full of exp. product, the deli is unsanitary, produce needs to learn how to make goddamn signs, the scanning dept is chronically understaffed , and the vitamin dept knows nothing about the products they are selling to people.

Control the gossip and disparagement from your department heads. It makes morale plummet. If you are going to have a point system then follow through with it or get rid of it. Firing someone using the excuse that it was their points would mean that you would have to fire half the store due to their points.

Terrible

Former Employee - Bakery Clerk  in  Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Sprouts Farmers Market part-time for less than a year

Pros

15% discount cool coworkers. I can't think of any other ones so I'm just talking until I hit 20 words this place sucked.

Cons

I think this might just be the flagstaff store as the store I was trained at in Mesa was fine. Horrifying management, to be a manager at sprouts apparently being exceptional stupid is a pre req. they made a woman with four months bakery experience and no manger experience the dept manager and within 3-4 months the entire dept walked out on her. Don't know how to make a schedule. Very rude and difficult to work with and say they'll work around your class schedule then continually schedule you in the middle of class.

Get managers who know what they're doing and have basic social skills to interact with employees and customers

Do not recommend!

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Sprouts Farmers Market part-time for less than a year

Pros

You get paid weekly. They will work around your schedule.

Cons

Started off averaging 35 hours a week, 5 days a week. Now averaging 25 hours, 5 days a week. Short staffed, cashiers have to check and bag groceries. High expectations. Low pay.

Shop for the produce. Avoid the job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sprouts Farmers Market part-time

Pros

A couple of the managers in our store actually know their job. The departmental managers are generally very, vertgood, but, unfortunately, have no say in pay or promotions or much of anything else. It is the upper store management that isn't good.

They'd rather bring someone in from the outside than promote someone within. So if you are from the outside, you have have a better chance at a management job. In the last 7 months, 6 store and department management jobs opened up and only 1 was filled from within. Two were filled by demotions from other stores.. Good news if you are not a hard worker.

Hard work doesn't pay off. It is brown-nosing and running to management to tell on other employees that gets you ahead in our store.So if this fits you, even better news. After all, managers love people like themselves.

Oh, and our store has given out no pesky raises so you do not ever have to worry about paying more taxes.

You get more hours off, but not days, at quarter end because store management cuts your hours from 7 1/2 to 5 or 6 so they and regional and corporate managers can make their bonuses and raises.

No need to try to discern what NOT to do. Sprouts corporate excels at coming out with a new rule or policy at least once a week, but usually more often, telling you you'd better do 'x' or you'd better not do 'x' or you are fired, which just is so motivating.

Another nice thing is that you won't have to worry about having a life outside work. They constantly change the schedule week to week so you can never plan on attending classes, joining something, etc. Heck, they've changed the schedule within the week several times on me, and then swore they didn't, but I write it down each Friday and I know they are lying?
    Another nice thing is that store mangement is always infallible. I know because our store management is never wrong. It is always the emploee's fault.

Cons

Hard to find any, if you are in Sprouts corporate or store management with bonuses as part of your comp. Otherwise..you are at or just barely above minimum wage. Several of our employees are at minimum wage.Constantly threatening employees by telling them that they will be written-up or fired if you don't do 'x'. Worst retail chain I have ever worked for, if you are an employee. Not one employee I have talked to out of the 70 or so at our non-mangement store employees believes management cares about them. Neither do most of the 14 department managers or assistants.
    These people are terrible interviewers. They interviewed me for a promotion and failed the interview, That;s right, I actually failed them and am looking elsewhere for another 2nd job. They didn't even understand that interviews are a two-way street abd people are deciding if they want to work for you. Very arrogant in their attitude. I guess when the store manager(s) is making over $100k and almost all their employees earn $9-11 an hour, you lose touch of what matters to them, or at least be polite. The lack of intellect in the questions and knowledge that they had violated the law with several questions and remarks was truly astounding. Then there was the outright lies...

Not one of the over 40 employees in our store, through department managers, I talk to or hear from believe you care even one small bit about your employees, (Only two brown-nosers I do not talk too might, but since I never talk to them, who knows? I guess you should be promoting them sometime soon
    Cut your corporate staff and regional managers. They are mostly terrible anyway. A HR rep came out to 'help the employees' one day and all she did was spend time in the office with store management and when she ventured out ontp the floor, she clung by his side. So helpful.

Your regional people are terrible, with no knowledge of the industry or its common practices, etc.. I worked for a big NATIONAL chain previously, and when I met the regional manger, he asked me my background. He said he had 'never heard of them'. Relly? Have you picked up a trade magazine and actually read it EVER buddy? Everything, and every policy or decision that has had his name attached to it is non-employee friendly and, generally, a pretty stupid idea.

Oh, and the customers hate the constant resets of sections. I have been there 7 months and they have redone almost every section of our store and some more than once.Customers constantly complaining to us employees. Then the products chosen don't fit properly on the shelf. They just did the baby food section and there are actually more tags and products that are supposed to fit on the shelf than there is space. Shall we assume your people never really try out their plans before roll-out?

Get rid of people whose jobs depend on creating new policies and changing the store constantly or you will fail.

Sprouts Farmers Market Photos

Sprouts

+ Add Photo

Worked for Sprouts Farmers Market? Contribute to the Community!