Sprouts Farmers Market

Updated December 22, 2014
2.6

Sprouts Farmers Market President & CEO Doug Sanders
Doug Sanders

Pros
  • Minimal employee discount, some organic products offered within the store (in 26 reviews)

• All employees get a 15% discount on top of all the amazing weekly sales (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay to match the area living needs (in 17 reviews)

• Lack of communication between departments and from upper management at a store level (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible Management

Former Employee - Produce Clerk
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk

I worked at Sprouts Farmers Market (more than an year)

Pros

Produce was a good deal

Cons

Management never except responsibility, and would point the finger

Care about your employees

Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Cashier in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Sprouts Farmers Market part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, discount on top of cheap food.

Cons

Pay is way too low for the work you do.
    Amount of hours can be inconsistent.
    Pay raise is way too low.
    Benefits could be much better.

Make sure you train your managers so that they are properly prepared! Hire enough people so that your people do not get burnt out!

Operateing out of fear during slow times

Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Snellville, GA
    Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Snellville, GA

I have been working at Sprouts Farmers Market full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The job itself is very easy and brainless.

Cons

We busted our humps getting this store open and running. Now that the initial craziness is over, we have all had our hours cut down to 20 and below.

Realize that your busy times will carry you through the slow times, and stop making people just barely have a job.

Never would work there again!!!

Former Employee - Meat Manager
    Former Employee - Meat Manager

I worked at Sprouts Farmers Market full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A pay check and employee benefits

Cons

Micro management, stress, no work life balance, now going public the employees no longer matter, you're just a number. It is never good enough, we need more.

If you continue down this path, you will have no employee retention, always trying to convince new hires to join a company that doesn't care about them. You can pretend to be a good company but once employees get into the company look out. You will never be good enough.

Worst Job "EVER"

I have been working at Sprouts Farmers Market

Pros

None what so ever. Please don't work for this employer you will regret it

Cons

This is the most misleading employer I've ever had they treat the employees like we are nobody's. There know appreciation for employees we only appreciate each other for jobs well done. Hours are horrible know one can make a living working here this is more of a job for teenager's know one single and defenaly not for someone with kids. I went from 40hrs a week to 15-21 hrs a week and co- worker get the same are only 8 hrs a week I wish I never made this career change they paid me more money to join but this is a mistake I
    wish I was able to undo I've had so many financial hardships I'm on the verge of losing my home if I don't find a new job asap.

You guys should treat your employees with more respect and maybe you will receive the same in return

This company needs to get its act together.

Current Employee - Store 4th Manager
    Current Employee - Store 4th Manager

I have been working at Sprouts Farmers Market full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The discount is pretty good at 15% including alcohol. There are some really good people who work for the company and stay despite the terrible pay.

Cons

The compensation is terrible. The pay starts low and hardly goes up with an annual raise of 3%, which really just follows inflation so nobody really makes more. It seems regional managers take pride in their ability to underpay high performing store and department managers, which is quite a terrible thing.

Store managers are given too much autonomy and break whatever policies they don't like but then get upset when somebody disagrees with them. Quite hypocritical and it makes it difficult to find a sense of consistency. The Sprouts culture has lots of room for improvement especially if the company wants to continue enjoying its current success.

There is no real training and development program for employees or managers. Again, if Sprouts wants to continue enjoying its current success it needs to be willing to spend more on real training for employees and managers especially.

Pay people what they are worth and not what you can get away with. It's embarrassing being a store level manager with a business degree and barely being able to afford living on my own. Sure we don't tell customers how little we make but we do tell our friends and family and more often than not they are disgusted to find out the truth. A lot of people have the impression Sprouts pays well, it is in your best interest to live up to those expectations. I can promise you, even though we don't tell customers about our terrible pay our friends and family surely talk and once word gets out your reputation will go the way of WalMart. Have fun with that.

Need To Wake Up

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sprouts Farmers Market full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The 15% discount is good, it brings the prices down close to a regular store. Most of the employees are really great people, were just all stuck in the same boat

Cons

The company no longer cares about the customer or the employee since they went public and they still aren't satisfying the stock market. If Sprouts started paying!!! better and showing the employees how much they are appreciated for real not just with the occasional pizza day, the problem would start to fix itself. Happy employees means happy customers = Profit. I have been in the grocery business for many years and good pay and happy employees = profits for the company. i.e..(whole Foods) Sprouts believes that cutting hours, pay and pushing people harder and harder will fix their problem all it is doing is giving Sprouts a ridiculous turn over of employees which means that no one ever learns their job. i.e.. ( bad customer service) I could go on and on but I will stop now, I am afraid that Sprouts will not be around for as long as I had hoped. Henry's is missed.

I think that Sprouts needs to wake up and listen to it's employees their not stupid some of us have been around for a wile. Start with buying grade A produce I have seen the quality of the whole produce Dept. go down since we changed to Sprouts from Henry's. Im not a Henry's lover they just did some things really good. Care about your employees and stop cutting the top pay for your managers every time the minimum wage goes up, this makes good people leave.

Human Resources Dept. in the Corporate environment leaves a lot to be desired

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Sprouts Farmers Market as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The employees outside of the Human Resources department are truly wonderful, friendly and helpful. The Receptionist is friendly and very professional as well as the person in the mail room. They offer their employees free coffee and free new products including produce.

Cons

Training is minimal and the person who is in charge of LOA and short term disability spends her day on personal phone calls and typically ignoring her responsibilities. Unless your friends with the Secretary to the VP who spends her day gossiping with the woman in charge of LOA and short term disability who never returns phone calls which in turn becomes a burden on the receptionist.

Start over with a brand new Human Resources Department and hire people who are truly vested in assisting their employees. Practice good INTERNAL customer service and definitely replace the woman who is supposed to be responsible for assisting employees on LOA and Short Term Disability and that includes the man she directly reports to. He is another truly useless person in company. He also, ignores phone calls from employees calling in about the status of their claims.

overworked because of labor crunches

Current Employee - Produce Manager in Edmond, OK
    Current Employee - Produce Manager in Edmond, OK

I have been working at Sprouts Farmers Market full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good pay for a grocery store

Cons

cutting labor back after going public

be kinder to those who sacrifice for you

Disappointing lack of professionalism

I worked at Sprouts Farmers Market part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you get picked up as a courtesy clerk, it's a pretty good first job. If you also aren't staying long, it's good.

Cons

Management doesn't enforce rules with their favorites. Blatantly obvious how much favoritism there is. Even contacting HR about issues (because management in-store are rude and dismissive of concerns) yields nothing because HR won't even respond to you either. There have been times where it seems like the store manager is actually being blackmailed into letting some employees break dress code and disrespect him.

Managers need training on how to stop employee harassment. Half the people that work there have high school mentalities and bully and start rumors about others. Managers seem to be too interested in maintaining some "relaxed, friendly" environment or something that they get all terrified when someone has a concern or feels uncomfortable with others bullying them.

Sprouts Farmers Market Photos