Sprouts Farmers Market

www.sprouts.com

Sprouts Farmers Market Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014
Sprouts Farmers Market – US – “Sprouts”

Sprouts Farmers Market – US – “Sprouts”

Sprouts Farmers Market President & CEO Doug Sanders

Doug Sanders

Pros
  • Mostly fun company to work for, employee discount a huge plus (in 21 reviews)

• Best perk of working for this employer is the 15% discount all employees receive (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay to match the area living needs (in 13 reviews)

• Hardly any store managers, or regional managers, actually know how to deal with people as humans (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Opportunities abound

Store Manager (Current Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsHuge expansion plans
    Nice employee discount
    Yes program solves our customer needs
    Clean and friendly stores with a good vibe and great prices

ConsTraining and development of core staff. Commit to developing future leaders to make our growth smoother. Store layout and backroom could use a bit more thought.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to staff feedback. Focus on driving store sales.

Bakery management

Bakery Manager (Current Employee)

ProsMaking new friends. Employee discount. 40 hours guaranteed as a manager.

ConsNo support from upper management. No training for new managers. Low pay, different salaries for different stores. I have been a bakery manager for 3 years. I am forced to have employees that did not do well in other departments. I have a small oven for the amount of things we bake daily. I have no time to do the ridiculous paper work they want done. Par sheets, how many items do I want on a shelf, how many on the shelf, how many should we add to the shelf. Come on. In a day I have to open and bake from 4am until I leave, pull shrink, do a report, fill floor, do orders, throw loads every day except Sunday, inventory
    every week, health inspections,etc...for a little over 12 dollars. Too much work, no time, no staff, no respect. Currently looking for another job.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to basics. Come out of the office. Respect your people. Be understanding. Don't think of $ for YOUR bonus. Back up your dept managers

Was great years ago, do not recommend it now

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsDecent benefits... employee discount. Chance to move up to department manager quick if work hard and positions open up, but you will regret it. Wow I really cant think of any more pros.

ConsExpextations are extremely high. Not a bad thing but the help to execute everything is not there. Very poor management. Good luck getting a raise. Strict attendance. High turnover, many managers quiting because of the company's lack of support. Poor promotion choices.

Advice to Senior ManagementDont pile on all the new programs and expect results with the already short handed teams. Spend some labor $ and the stores can do sooooo much better and meet programs 100% treat employees better! We make your money. Closing shifts always get stuck with heavy cleanup store wide with minimal department staff and is expected to have it perfect. Poor raise system does not motivate employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great company to work for.

ProsThis company is in my opinion a solid great company. THEY DO TAKE CARE OF HARD WORKING EMPLOYEES!

ConsIt is to bad a few Crazy people are bringing down the moral of an entire company! So unfair to talk bad about a good solid company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys keep doing a great job.

Not given the resources for the job

Department Manager (Current Employee)

Pros15% discount is nice (it's a great place to shop at least), benefits are decent for full time employees (of which there are very few). I loved working here for the first year and a half or so.

ConsAt least for department heads, extremely overworked for the pay (the pay did just get a slight raise, which is nice, but it's still not a livable wage for a full time job). I work 38-40 hours/week on the clock and another 2.5-5 hours off the clock each week writing notes and checking in with my staff because store management doesn't do it after I leave (which is interesting because we talk a lot about how we can get fired for working off the clock, yet I tell management each time that I'm going to "go clock out then write notes for my clerks"). I don't take breaks and most of my clerks don't either because there isn't time to. We don't get extra hours for things like inventory, training new employees, big sales/72 hour sales, holidays, etc. when we really need them.

New employees- always told that I will be brought in for their final interview so that I have a say about who gets hired into my department, but that never actually happens. When we have staffing needs, they tend to just promote a courtesy clerk, which would be great, except that they literally just promote whoever acts vaguely interested in the position without regards to the way they work (or of course my opinion on it). Then once we get the new employee, we don't get any extra hours to train them, so I just have to throw them in to shifts and we get behind because of it, which then makes it difficult for me to take the time to train them because we are behind. Speaking of training, the educate & enrich book (our staff training book) is a joke. It's incredibly disorganized and we are essentially asked to rush through it instead of giving our people quality training. Most managers just set their clerks down and tell them to read and initial because there are no extra hours given for going over it with them.

Management training- doesn't exist for department heads. They do send new dept managers (for newly opening stores only) to another store for 2 weeks of training, but generally if you get promoted from a clerk to a department head they assume that your manager trained you on everything and they just throw you in with no training. I did not get any training before I was promoted (my receiver taught me about numbers and I taught myself. store manager at the time didn't help me at all), but I work hard to try and train my staff that are interested in promotions.

Career Opportunities- They tell you that there is a lot of opportunity to move up, and for some people that's true. I was told for a very long time by one of our store managers that I would be moving up "soon" but after about a year I stopped actually believing them. Being promoted from a clerk to a department head is a relatively easy move to make. Being promoted from a department head to a 3rd or 4th only seems to happen if you're a grocery manager (which I'm not).

Gender inequality- There are definite "male" and "female" departments, at least at my store. Produce is only guys, except of course for the floral clerk who is always female (we have had several different ones). Grocery and meat department are also male dominated. Women work bakery (almost exclusively female), deli (mixed) and front end (cashiers are mostly women, baggers are mixed). Female store (1-4) and regional managers are very rare. I honestly never felt that being female had me at a disadvantage in the work force until I started trying to get promoted at sprouts.

Overall, I feel like working for this company is demoralizing and has a negative impact on my life. I come home tired, sore, and frustrated most days, and it doesn't even pay the bills. I am actively looking for better employment and have stopped trying to move up in this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle/store level management- Needs to treat their employees like they are people, this generally does not happen. Store management tends to ask more of department heads and clerks than is physically possible and it becomes demoralizing. Criticism abounds, for everyone, but there are very few compliments handed down. I don't feel like this is entirely their fault though, since it seems like they are treated the same way.

Upper Management- This is where the real issues lie. Unrealistic expectations would best describe what's going on in this company.

great

Prosplenty of opportunity to advance. great managment

Consno set hours, not enough help sometimes

Advice to Senior Managementkeep on keeping om

Difficult to move ahead,but many wonderful work friends

Cashier (Current Employee) Riverside, CA

ProsWe do heve decent benefits, and a 15 % employee discount,

ConsWe need a living wage to survive and feel validated.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease consider giving employees Wade it we can actually live on

love working with the public. With the company 3 years

Cashier (Current Employee) South Phoenix, AZ

ProsMost ppl that shop here are friendly and so are the majority of the employees

ConsMgnt needs to communicate. They never even say good morning.They usually walk around with a chip on their shoulder.Low wages

Advice to Senior ManagementWe whom have been here for years enjoy the company, when you have mgnt treat you as if you are beneath them ,when they sit for hours with their arms crossed watching you ( them doing nothing) when you can't go to the bathroom (without a remark) while they take 3-4 cigarettes
    breaks an hour.There is a problem. Yes I'm referring to most 4th and head casheirs .

Overworked, underpaid

Courtest Clerk (Former Employee) Flagstaff, AZ

ProsThe 15% discount is nice, and my co-workers were pretty awsome.

ConsWhen people asked for 40 hours, they rarely got the 40 hours. People who didn't want 40 hours, got 40 hours. Never any positive advice, always negative. Management didn't respect any employees but respected the customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't get angry because an employee is not perfect. Try to be positive every once and a while.

totally awesome

Prosgreat work environment, great store director, great produce, 15 % discount, good benefits package

Consmiddle management is unreasonable, and unapproachable. communication is horrible, lots of back stabbing managers

Advice to Senior Managementlisten carefully to both sides of the story and don't jump to conclusions just to demonstrate support for your managers, develop programs, and stick with them. lots of changes daily, make up your mind, and implement the plan

Worked for Sprouts Farmers Market? Contribute to the Community!