Spurwink Services

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014
2.0

CEO

Amazing opportunity to help others while only being superficially supported and recognized by upper management.

Current Employee - Educational Technician III
    Current Employee - Educational Technician III

I have been working at Spurwink Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Spurwink provides extensive training upon hire that centers around Cornell's Therapeutic Crisis Intervention, the NAPPI escort training developed years ago by a Maine native, American Heart Association CPR, among many, many other topics. Spurwink has a diverse group of employees from around the work that work with children and adults with special needs from around the world. There is never a dull day at Spurwink, which only lends to a stronger bond between those in the "trenches". It is very hard work that is equally as fulfilling and rewarding...karmically or spiritually...or for your humanity. The newest pro to Spurwink is the new President, Eric Meyer. He seems to be pointing Spurwink in a good direction that will eventually allow it to retain valued employees and further the positive reputation of Spurwink as an employer.

Cons

The upper management at Spurwink makes it clear to employees that without their employees doing such amazing work the company would not have the astoundingly positive reputation for direct care that it has. That recognition ends with the e-mail and maybe a few brief words at a "recognition dinner" where employees from around the state must find their own transportation, housing, and drinks for the night. In the almost 10 years I have worked at Spurwink we have only received one "raise'. It was only a few years ago and brought direct care employees (no matter how long their tenure) up to $10 an hour. Ed Tech III's went up about 30CENTS. That's it in 10 years. Benefits and vacation days/holidays have been cut. I know of someone who sells insurance to companies and Spurwink's HR Director refused to talk to them because "we are happy with who we have". I have been told we may have the worst insurance in the state at this moment. Employees are not valued. If a hard working employee sticks around, it's because their personal fulfillment outweighs the financial need.

Don't form committees to figure out how to retain valued employees. Eric Meyer, or someone who can make decisions/changes, take a personal look at our annual evaluations. Determine who you would want to keep. Talk with each one of those people personally and figure out what has to change. We are people working with people with special needs who need help.... and now we employees need upper managements help. While we work at Spurwink we are financially sinking as we watch others around us keep up with society.

Safety is MY Goal

Former Employee - Therapeutic House Parent
    Former Employee - Therapeutic House Parent

I worked at Spurwink Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working with children who crave attention and love because they never received it is the most rewarding part.

The training this company provides is comprehensive and two weeks long. TCI is especially useful to know. I appreciated the First Aid and CPR refresher. Benefits packages are average.

Your peers, those that are working in direct care, are very kind and inclusive of new staff.

Cons

Local administration say what you need to hear, but lack follow-through. They promise advice and support, but struggle to provide it. Administration will, however, micro-manage your schedule even to the point of asking what you do on your time off. They claim, "safety is our goal" but lack the support needed when a client escalates to a crisis moment and needs to be place in a restraint. With a new client in our care, someone should have been prepared to help. It took over 25 minutes for assistance to arrive. Communication is cloudy. Rarely is every part of the team on the same page.

The homes are full of mold. Some mold is even recovered with new linoleum or just painted over.

Tell your employees you appreciate them. When a mistake is made, apologize instead of deflecting. Micro-management hinders employees from growing.

Great experience and rewarding work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

I have been working at Spurwink Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Generous time off
    Flexible schedules
    Casual work environment

Cons

The pay is generally lower than the prevailing wage. There is very little flexibility to pay someone more for experience and education. Although the culture is changing with the new President, there has been a long history of very little accountability.

Provide more competitive wages with annual wage increases based on performance.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

unprofessional

Former Employee - Direct Support  in  Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Direct Support in Providence, RI

I worked at Spurwink Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

easy work, nice coworkers, nice clients

Cons

dull environment for clients and unprofessional supervisors

provide better management

Dedicated, loving and talented people doing great things with a difficult situation.

Current Employee - Agency Nurse  in  Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Agency Nurse in Portland, ME

I have been working at Spurwink Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of education and support, Independence and positive feedback. Great opportunity to expand current role. Great benefits compared to other healthcare facilities including time off.

Cons

Poor inter-communication among different groups and non-competitive pay.

Give longevity benefits; like pay increases.

I have enjoyed working at Spurwink but the management are unappreciative of their best and longest term employees.

Current Employee - Direct Care
    Current Employee - Direct Care

I have been working at Spurwink Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Spurwink does a great job working with special needs youth and their families.

Cons

Spurwink pays employees who do an exceptional job, and have been employed with Spurwink for 10 years or more the same as those who just started and have no experience or do the bare minimum. Spurwink fails to meet low, reasonable expectations of their best employees.

The entire time that I have worked for Spurwink they have complained that they cannot keep direct care staff long term. However they have never done anything to change this. There are no good incentives to stay. If Spurwink wants long term, quality empoyees they need to appreciate their long term employees and give employees an incentive to stay. Raises and/or added benifits at 5,10 or 15 years for instance.

Incredible work is accomplished here. Senior management needs to improve.

Current Employee - Director  in  Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Director in Portland, ME

I have been working at Spurwink Services

Pros

Incredible work is accomplished here. Life work a balance is possible.

Cons

More leadership direction is needed.

The organization would benefit if employees were on the same page.

Dysfunctional. Those who stay to work here want to work with clients.

I have been working at Spurwink Services full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, supportive co-workers, pay for travel time, many place the client first - the way it should be. Solid training for someone just starting out.

Cons

Each year holidays and vacation days have been taken away. Inexperienced managers, departments do not talk to one another, no career growth unless you are in the "in" crowd.

No more lip service. Stop providing training that will not be implemented by supervisors. Hold yourselves accountable.

Worked for Spurwink Services? Contribute to the Community!