Square 1 Bank

Be The First To
Add Photos

Square 1 Bank President & CEO Doug Bowers

Doug Bowers

Demanding place to work where success is rewarded

ProsSquare 1 is staffed by motivated people who are committed to doing their best, and want to grow professionally. For the right people, the demanding environment is invigorating. It presents opportunities to work with a huge variety of companies involved in cutting edge technologies and new developments in health care, as well as the venture capital community. The breadth of exposure to emerging industries seems endless. There are only a few banks in the country involved in venture lending, and none of them is growing as fast as Square 1 or as intent on expansion.

ConsRegarding the issues referred to in other reviews, politics exist in every organization. Get used to it and learn to maneuver through it and rise above it. As for being on-call and working long hours, at Square 1 results will be rewarded and contributions will be recognized. That doesn’t happen everywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep soliciting feedback from staff and working to fix anything negative.

Wow

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Great learning environment.
    - Diverse group of individuals who bring a new perspective on credits and structuring.
    - Great opportunities to interact with your peers both in and out of the workplace.
    - Managment is quick to let those know when improvement is needed while adding a road plan for success. You are given ample opportunities to succeed before a potential separation occurs.
    - HR department could not be more friendly, dedicated, and approachable. You can tell they genuinely care about you as an individual.

Cons- Long hours from time to time.
    - Communication with peers outside the office can be inefficient and slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to set clear expectations to employees and manage the underperformers out earlier than later. This is business, not personal, and the only way to continue to grow is through dedicated hardworkers.

Side note, in doing so this may help eliminate former disgruntled employees who continue to post negative comments about the organization. I loved my time at Square 1 and although it was challenging at times I learned a lot and was able to apply this to my current job. Instead of pointing the finger at the organization the individual should be asking themselves what they could have done better to keep their job.

Mean Girls- Seniors Edition

Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsThe company overall seems like a fun and innovative place to work. As a company they have a good reputation with their clients, casual work environment and cool office.

ConsFrom my second week working there, I realized that I was back in high school all over again, complete with cliques, lunchtime antics and finger pointing. I couldn't help but laugh daily at how pathetic these middle aged individuals’ were. I was hired to do a job, not be your friend, sorry. What’s worse is that HR is a joke. Instead of attempting to assist in coming up with a solution, they’d rather just tell you “Square 1 isn't for everyone.” Well you were so right ma’am, you guys have fun eating at Tyler’s, shopping online and gossiping about other co-workers. At the end of the day going to work is your release because clearly your personal life sucks.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest, when hiring. Let the person know they are there to be a friend not a colleague.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

BAD

Compliance (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsDress code, that's about it!

ConsIf one person who has a higher position in the company wants you out, then you will not have a job. It is worse than being in high school

Wonderful company for what it does, but it is like a high school and woe unto you if you are not one of the cool kids...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWonderful to help out the startup companies. Clients are treated very well. The clients get to use the conference rooms for free for their meetings. You get to wear jeans every single day. Really a cool looking office.

ConsIt's like a high school in there. You have bullies, mean girls, the cool/popular kids, the nerds/unpopular kids...EVERYBODY has a title of Vice President. They pass out titles like candy. Just a backwards place to work. Employees are not valued or rewarded for working hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember how you wanted to be treated as a lowly worker. Stop befriending the HR staff so that employees can feel comfortable enough to go to them if they need them instead of HR telling all of your business all over the bank.

Analyst

Portfolio Analyst (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsSquare 1 has a great culture, and plenty of opportunities for advancement.

ConsSalary at the analyst group level is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide analysts with more responsibility.

Great place to work

ProsVery exciting growth opportunities for personal development. Organization is growing rapidly. Supportive culture for employees and outstanding customer care focus.

ConsThe pool of experienced candidates in Durham is somewhat limited.

Fun Organization with Endless Opportunities!

(Current Employee)

ProsIf you are looking for a job that challenges you day in and day out Square 1 is a great fit for you. A day has not gone by in which I feel like I have not learned something new - whether it be a new business model, financial literacy, or how to more efficiently underwrite a credit. The work environment is almost the complete opposite of what you would find in Corporate America. The dress code is business casual, very little micromanagement (meaning you are asked to be in the office from 9-5:30 but what you do during that time is completely up to you. As an analyst you will have both daily and monthly deadlines but as long as they are completed on time and correctly there are no issues. If you want to leave campus for lunch, go workout at the Y, or go walk your dog that is up to you, you don't have to check in with anyone!), there is a pool table in the break room with a nice flat screen tv, friendly and fun co-workers - the list goes on! All departments interact with one another on both a professional and social basis - titles and positions do not create a barrier. Everyone is in the organization works together to make it as successful as possible, creating a very team oriented environment. Imagine, what 200+ employee organization can you imagine where you are able to walk into your CEO's office and start chatting or pick up the phone and have a conversation with your CCO - the lines of communication are always open!

The Analyst Group is structured in a way that sets you up for success, but the main ingredient is for you as an individual to have the desire to go above and beyond. When hired you will undergo a training process of ~2 weeks, which can provide a great refresher on financials. Upon completing the training you are gradually integrated into your assigned portfolio and are assigned a more senior analyst to assist in the transition. It can be a lot to take on at first but if you let down your shield and ask questions and put in the time it will be a lot of fun in the end. From a hours/week worked I would not consider the Portfolio Analyst position to be a 9-5 job, but at the same time the management wants nothing more than for you to have a healthy work/life balance. The mentality is a work hard - play hard and if you maintain this attitude success will be rewarded. It is important to remember the bigger picture in that everyone has to start somewhere to reach the top!

ConsAt times communication can be difficult between outside offices as a result of time zone differences. The Analyst Group can experience times of high turnover, generally the result of promotion from within the organization. Therefore, causing a temporary disruption in workflow for the specific region(s) effected by the change.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to find ways to challenge employees and help them grow in their career - pushing each and everyone to put forth their best work at all times.

Disappointing and frustrating workplace where unsustainable management practices result in high turnover rates

(Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsYou get to work with some fantastic coworkers - nice, fun, smart. The upside is that dress is casual and the American Tobacco Campus HQ is beautiful.

ConsHigh turnover. Embarassing pay. On-call working conditions/long hours that are not acknowledged; no one only works 9-5. Clueless management where trust and accountabilty are real issues. If you are interested in VC, this will not open doors. My buddies and I will leave soon for a healthier working environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees well; your workforce is the most important capital.

Exciting goal oriented workplace

Portfolio Analyst (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsOutstanding work environment, flex schedule, great HQ In American Tobacco Campus,, helpful coworkers, still young emerging firm, growing every year

ConsStartup feel slowly evaporating as more institutional senior mgmt is brought on, required hours don't match pay, systems are old, management doesn't always get back to you on ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't give up on the unique culture to please outsiders or newcomers.

Worked for Square 1 Bank? Contribute to the Community!