Square Enix

Be The First To
Add Photos

Phil Rogers

Good job, okay pay

ProsPlaying computer games for a living, great co-workers, amazing break room

ConsBosses have a strained relationship with testers, pay is not very high, hours can be long near the end of the contract

Fantastic gaming company!

ProsEverything is awesome at Square!

ConsOnly downside was the commute, which is more personal if anything.

Good co-workers, crazy Japanese management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsMy co-workers really shared a passion for their work, and brought a great energy every day

ConsJapan has unrealistic expectations and doesn't try to understand local conditions

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust local management more

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad management, no training or career opportunities. Always told "you should be glad you have a job" mentality.

ProsInteresting products. Some nice people to work with.

ConsAbusive management. No respect for the workforce. Promises by senior managers never followed through. Awful work environment and extremely low morale. I expect the London office will close before end of 2014.

Advice to Senior ManagementAct as you expect your workers to. Make an effort to leave your offices and talk to your staff.

Customer Service Representative - Emails and Tickets

ProsGood way to get your feet wet

ConsLow compensation and gets repetitive

rotten from the top

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery japanese, nice people to work with. Better now that they've merged with eidos.

Conscronyism at the very top, nepotism at the very top, slow to move
    reactive rather than proactive, no idea about 'global'

Great work environment, great people!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsYou work with people who enjoy video games and pop culture and the hours are swell

ConsNo possibility of moving up, no recognition for more effort in the contract positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you have someone that cares and works harder than the average temp, it might be a good idea to at least give them advice or suggestions to move up, even if its into other departments.

Amazing first step into the Gaming industry.

QA Tester (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsAwesome company culture
    Hire from within
    Good people
    Great learning opportunity

ConsSome older employees come off as overly jaded and unmotivated
    Not much room to grow
    No onsite development

Lots of fun and great people

QA Tester (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsFor trying to break into the video game industry, you couldn't find a better place to do QA Testing than Square Enix. The environment was well lit and kept cool (sometimes a little too cool) and you're constantly surrounded by SE merch. Getting to talk with your coworkers is easy and encouraged, and everyone there is very helpful and super friendly. Food was brought in and shared at LEAST once a week.

ConsThe turnaround is pretty fast. People come and go and moving up is (I hear) very hard. I've also heard that some pretty major changes happened to the QA dept after I moved on. I hope the environment is still as great as it was when I was there.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease keep being so cool.

Not the same old Square Enix

ProsThe company has changed quite a bit from what I have heard. Used to be only a publishing arm for Japan but now the group is creating and publishing their own products in the digital space. Huge growth in the past couple of months.

ConsA ton of meetings. Sometimes it feels like very little is accomplished in the meetings as many are update meetings and not very action oriented.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow people to continue to grow creatively. Encourage learning. Continue the team building events, and continue to give employees input to the games you are creating. Empower employees to succeed.

Worked for Square Enix? Contribute to the Community!