Square

Updated January 22, 2015
4.6

Square Founder & CEO Jack Dorsey
Jack Dorsey

Pros
  • Work-Life balance is perfect, mainly because I don't dread coming to work (in 8 reviews)

• Square's a great place to get your career started as a software engineer (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing very quickly, so it's becoming more challenging to maintain complete transparency (in 8 reviews)

• There are some growing pains with a company growing so big so fast (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Current Employee - Anon in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anon in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People, perks, location. Living in San francisco and working here is great. Great office.

Cons

I cannot think of many, the only bad thing is the long wait lines for the lunch and dinners.

Keep it up!

Great company, usual office politics

I have been working at Square

Pros

amazing benefits, smart co-workers, great location

Cons

office politics are intense and rampant

I've been through the growing pains. We're moving in the right direction now and I don't see that changing.

Current Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mostly world class leadership. Inspirational and visionary CEO. Everyone truly passionate about Square's mission.

Cons

Feels bloated but good to see management is fixing. No good employee retention strategy. Sometimes feels too "big company" with operational processes.

A great company growing super fast.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people, culture and commitment to doing everything it takes for small business owners to succeed. Everything is done at the highest level and with a relentless pursuit of quality. The daily perks are incredible and you will get spoiled but can't complain.

Cons

Executive team leadership is disorganized and lacks the vision and innovation that made this company what it is. They are running Square as if it was Google and they can't seem to understand they are two totally different types of companies. Square needs to continue to innovate, be bold and challenge conventions. There is still a lot of work to be done and we cannot rest on the back of a massive cash cow as is Google.

Don't lose your way as the company grows. That would be tragic. Keep the magic that makes Square one of the greatest places to work in the world.

A Challenging Job

I have been working at Square full-time

Pros

-Smart & interesting people, exciting company & space
    -Focus on innovation, incredibly mission-driven
    -Fantastic brand for your resume/career
    -Opportunity to challenge yourself by taking on new projects, exploring new things within your role
    -Fun culture and tech environment
    -Jack's passion for helping businesses and changing commerce. It can be very inspiring.

Cons

-I've worked harder at Square than any other job I've held. (On the "Pro" side, it's also because I'm around people that push me to be better. There's a high bar of talent here.)
    -Dealing with change & ambiguity can be tough (But it's also why the ride can be great. You have to embrace it.)
    -Public perception can be interesting - a lot of recent press is negative and doesn't capture the real work at Square and the potential of this company.
    -How we build products/features, evolve the company - growing pains with past products that were less successful and some employee burnout. I hope we are moving in a better direction.

-Encourage career growth and promotions. Specifically managers need to have *some* accountability for their team's growth - not everyone believes it's their responsibility which is unfortunate
    -Training around communication, diversity, etc.

Great Company, Great Culture.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Square

Pros

Very open office environment. Everyone is friendly, the food is amazing. And the Coffee, oh the coffee.

Cons

None that I have seen yet!

Growing pain

Former Employee - Customer Technical Support in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Technical Support in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Square full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Unlimited time off, great perks and benefits, amazing people, and fun quirky culture

Cons

Things can be very chaotic, the leadership isn't too mature, people seem to not like their work, not very many options for promotion

Hire more qualified middle managers

Not the startup you think it is

Current Employee - Finance in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square

Pros

Most coworkers have wonderful personalities outside of work and are always willing to help. On site benefits such as food, massages, coffee bar, boba Guys and off-site company events are also nice.

Cons

The problem of no work/life balance is brought up every quarter with the promise of change but this has yet to be directly addressed. Other than senior management saying that everyone works hard so deal with it. Square is a young company that grew quickly and still has the start-up mentality of long hours and low compensation due to stock options. The reality is that Square is no longer a start up but is now a mid-size corporation that is still relying on the 'you should be grateful to even work at a company like this' thought on retaining employees. The flat organizational structure in Finance has inhibited growth for senior employees. I have witnessed many new employees get the 'bait and switch' of jobs they have applied for compared to the actual work they are doing. The team is amazing and has some great personalities but it is draining to work with so many people that are so unhappy with their job.

Fired For Health Issues

I worked at Square

Pros

-Free food
    -Healthy options
    -Close to BART

Overall the perks were the only thing I enjoyed. The culture and atmosphere was very unfriendly and my manager was terrible. He wanted me to stay in the same place and there was basically no chance of moving up unless I put in several years.

Cons

-Limited upward mobility
    -Unfriendly workplace
    -Low compensation
    -Long hours
    -Fired when I became sick and could not make hours

After I found out I have a severe health issue and spoke one on one with my manager that I would be missing time at work to get treatment, he in this same conversation decided to tell me that I was being let go. It was pretty horrible to be out of a job because I became sick while my performance was always above and beyond expectations. I put in a lot of time into this company thinking Square would be there for me and instead got kicked out when my health became a problem. This also was an illegal firing and I could have filed suit but did not want to deal with the stress of a legal suit as I was fighting an illness.

Fix HR issues within. Create a positive community that wants to help each other instead of cold competition. Maintain long term goals and procedures, changing how you do things every quarter leads to many problems.

Misdirected Talent

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Square full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you're someone who likes to read management or business case studies, Square serves as a terrific example of how not to operate in several key areas: how not to manage projects, how not to manage people and retain great employees, and how not to remain relevant in an increasingly competitive payments landscape.

The sole area of excellence is the San Francisco office's cafeteria, which is on par with a fine restaurant.

Cons

Introduction

Square started with a fantastic product: the iconic Square Reader, which may still be the best designed, most reliable credit card reader device for mobile devices. Unfortunately, like many companies that start small and focused, they lack the managerial focus to become a standout performer.

As my title suggests, the story of Square boils down to this: it's a case study in misdirected talent.

And talent there is: Square boasts some great industry minds (as some of the more benevolent reviews suggest.) However, it is my view and my personal experience that winning product strategies, focused execution, and experienced management can succeed with merely "good" talent, while no amount of talent can rescue a company devoid of the other elements. Do they really fall down in those areas? Let's examine each notion in turn:

* Product Strategies: an Uphill Battle *

Virtually all of Square's low-or-no-margin payment businesses (mobile Reader,Square Register, Cash, etc.) face enormous competition from both entrenched competitors and more focused upstarts. Although it is the opinion of the author that the Reader product is the best in the business, the ugly truth may be (much to the dismay of their meticulous designers) that margins matter more to customers than design, and in this area, they will be driven to the dirt by Amazon and others.

* Inefficient Execution *

It's hard to quantify execution capability. From the perspective of the author, however, I would say that I have seen much more accomplished, by fewer (less talented) people, in less time. The reason this is true is that the rank-and-file engineer at Square has little industry experience, and many managers have no prior experience managing people. (This is discussed below.)

* Poor Management *

Past Glassdoor reviews (some of which seem to have disappeared) mentioned chaotic, Twitter-like management, replete with disorienting reorganizations. This is still the case. While there is significant talent at the senior level, the middle management is rife with inexperienced young people who have never managed others at all, many of whom were promoted due to their perceived engineering ability.

This has led to several situations that would be hilarious if they weren't so sad: Lack of clear ownership of major functionality, huge variability of code quality across teams, borderline-hostile code reviews, poor training, humiliating and unprofessional behavior in meetings, bad technology choices, and so on.

Conclusion

Despite the hype, talent, and early success of the Reader product, and despite the purported sky-high valuation (which makes no sense when compared to industry comps), Square is no longer a horse worth betting on. With a product portfolio consisting of low or no margin businesses, its apparent lack of focus and efficiency, and terrible management all add up to a company whose drawbacks far exceed potential benefits.

Recent college graduates should realize that the company is no longer a start-up; you're joining a medium sized firm that's still struggling to find its way in a sea of competitors. If you're talented enough, you'd be better off trying for Google or another quality big firm to shore up your skills, and THEN move to a start-up.

The situation is even worse for experienced hires: compensation won't match what a skilled engineer can earn elsewhere, with far less hassle, and more prospects for growth. You're also likely to face a bait-and-switch when it comes to your position and duties, as well as the aforementioned issues with bad management.

At the end of the day, while probably not a sinking ship, Square is idling at port, bobbling listlessly while the smartest rats scurry down the mooring lines for the relative safety of the rotting boards of the dock.

Find a high margin strategy that offers true product differentiation, and stick to it. Look hard at middle managers: they are your weakness.