Square

Updated February 17, 2015
4.6

Square Founder & CEO Jack Dorsey
Jack Dorsey

Pros
  • Work-Life balance is perfect, mainly because I don't dread coming to work (in 8 reviews)

• Square's a great place to get your career started as a software engineer (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing very quickly, so it's becoming more challenging to maintain complete transparency (in 8 reviews)

• There are some growing pains with a company growing so big so fast (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

I've been at Square for more than three years.

I have been working at Square full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Square has been a great place to work for the past few years. It's provided me the opportunity to grow in my career and learn new skills, while simultaneously witnessing a rapidly growing company adjust on the fly to new challenges.

Working at a company that grows and changes so rapidly has been one of the best ways to learn quickly. The amount of experiences that I feel like I've faced in the few years I've been here seems much higher than my peers at slower moving companies. I think this can only benefit me.

There are a lot of great people here to work with and learn from. I have real friends here, not just co-workers.

Leadership has become much stronger on account of some key hires.

Cons

Growing pains come with the territory when you move quickly in an industry that is constantly changing. We are going up against behemoths that have deeper pockets and more resources than us. In my opinion, that makes it a bit more fun, but it does make for some thrash as the priorities evolve and shift with the changes in the environment.

Maintain transparency.

A fast-paced company supported by a group of highly intelligent people.

I worked at Square full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Clear guidance from immediate supervisors
    - Clear guidance from upper management
    - Great perks

Cons

- Not a lot of work/life balance
    - Opportunity for growth limited
    - Entitled, young professionals

So much transparency you won't even know what to do with it.

Current Employee - Disputes Support Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Disputes Support Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square

Pros

- Possibly the most beautiful office in all of SF
    - Extremely casual work environment
    - Everyone you work with is intelligent, nice, and all working to make Square the best company in the world
    - Since every employee has stock options, you truly feel like an owner of the company
    - Unlimited PTO is awesome - if you want to take a trip, great, just let your team know and work it out ahead of time. No counting days or hours
    - FOOD

Cons

- Some people's work-life balance is not great, and while you have the freedom to work the hours you want it certainly feels weird leaving at 5:30 when some people stay hours later than that
    - Growth in some areas of the company just hasn't been worked out yet. It's important to know a roadmap or at least options for your role, and I'm not sure Square does the best job at communicating that

Don't lose sight of who we are as we grow!

Amazing place to work

I have been working at Square full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You will meet and work with some of my most hard-working, fun, and talented people who are passionate about what they are doing. Great culture with amazing perks.

Cons

Need more opportunities for career advancement.

Create more levels for career advancement.

Great Company

Current Employee - Anon in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anon in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People, perks, location. Living in San francisco and working here is great. Great office.

Cons

I cannot think of many, the only bad thing is the long wait lines for the lunch and dinners.

Keep it up!

Great company, usual office politics

I have been working at Square

Pros

amazing benefits, smart co-workers, great location

Cons

office politics are intense and rampant

I've been through the growing pains. We're moving in the right direction now and I don't see that changing.

Current Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mostly world class leadership. Inspirational and visionary CEO. Everyone truly passionate about Square's mission.

Cons

Feels bloated but good to see management is fixing. No good employee retention strategy. Sometimes feels too "big company" with operational processes.

Square Response

Jan 29, 2015Recruiting Coordinator

Thanks for your review! We’re glad to hear that you’re confident in the direction Square is taking. We’re learning as we grow and always looking to do right by our employees.

A great company growing super fast.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people, culture and commitment to doing everything it takes for small business owners to succeed. Everything is done at the highest level and with a relentless pursuit of quality. The daily perks are incredible and you will get spoiled but can't complain.

Cons

Executive team leadership is disorganized and lacks the vision and innovation that made this company what it is. They are running Square as if it was Google and they can't seem to understand they are two totally different types of companies. Square needs to continue to innovate, be bold and challenge conventions. There is still a lot of work to be done and we cannot rest on the back of a massive cash cow as is Google.

Don't lose your way as the company grows. That would be tragic. Keep the magic that makes Square one of the greatest places to work in the world.

A Challenging Job

I have been working at Square full-time

Pros

-Smart & interesting people, exciting company & space
    -Focus on innovation, incredibly mission-driven
    -Fantastic brand for your resume/career
    -Opportunity to challenge yourself by taking on new projects, exploring new things within your role
    -Fun culture and tech environment
    -Jack's passion for helping businesses and changing commerce. It can be very inspiring.

Cons

-I've worked harder at Square than any other job I've held. (On the "Pro" side, it's also because I'm around people that push me to be better. There's a high bar of talent here.)
    -Dealing with change & ambiguity can be tough (But it's also why the ride can be great. You have to embrace it.)
    -Public perception can be interesting - a lot of recent press is negative and doesn't capture the real work at Square and the potential of this company.
    -How we build products/features, evolve the company - growing pains with past products that were less successful and some employee burnout. I hope we are moving in a better direction.

-Encourage career growth and promotions. Specifically managers need to have *some* accountability for their team's growth - not everyone believes it's their responsibility which is unfortunate
    -Training around communication, diversity, etc.

Great Company, Great Culture.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Square

Pros

Very open office environment. Everyone is friendly, the food is amazing. And the Coffee, oh the coffee.

Cons

None that I have seen yet!