Square

Updated October 17, 2014
4.7

Square Founder & CEO Jack Dorsey
Jack Dorsey

Pros
  • Square's a great place to get your career started as a software engineer (in 5 reviews)

• I work with amazingly talent, super smart people every day and in all functions (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There are some growing pains with a company growing so big so fast (in 6 reviews)

• Square is still a young company, so it's still figuring out how best to work (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place for software engineering

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Square part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- The engineers here tend to be really good. The senior engineers are the best and brightest I've worked with. The junior ones are also very sharp and have lots of potential.
    - Some really interesting technical problems to work on -- lots of fun, challenging, and interesting work.
    - In addition to being smart, the people are generally great to get along with.
    - Cash compensation is good for this market. Benefits are decent. And equity has a chance to be worth a lot.
    - Transparency and meritocracy are strong values (much better than typical corporate culture).
    - Great mission, lots of passion for helping small businesses and generally improving commerce.
    - Cool office space (SF has amazing space, a shuffleboard table, and a pool table. ATL has a cool space, nice bar, and a ping-pong table.)

Cons

- We're not yet great at remote collaboration (video conferencing, etc). This can make it hard, being outside of SF (though things have been constantly improving since I've been here -- it was really bad when I first started).
    - Sometimes there are techno-politics to deal with. Engineers are diverse in opinions (which is great!). But there seem to be a lot of ideologists and fewer pragmatists (not great!)
    - Roller coaster ride based on press coverage. (It's been more negative press recently I think, which is saddening, especially since so much of it is inaccurate.)

Square is amazing!

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Square has such an amazing work environment. There is a sense of motivation and hard work that is evident throughout the office, but at the same time it is very comfortable and laid back. All departments intermingle and therefore Square employees act as a community. We are all here for the same reason, and it shows. I have felt nothing but welcome, comfortable, and inspired by Square's mission since day one.

Cons

The company is relatively young, so at times I have experienced a lack of structure in some procedure.

Huge learning and growth opportunities

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Square is surprisingly meritocratic for a company this size and growth trajectory. There are tons of smart people around who recognize good work and nurture it. Effectively, if you come to Square, you'll learn a lot, and if you work hard, you'll be recognized and your ideas will make it out into the world.

Cons

Super flat hierarchy means that you've to seek out non-traditional ways of "climbing the ladder". Some people find it a bit all-encompassing. Some workaholism is found :)

Get even better at recognizing good work. Not everyone has the scrappiness to self-promote, and not everyone should (the organization doesn't function is everyone is self-promoting). Strive for objectivity in prioritizing both work and people.

Quality treatment of employees; Quality production of work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm starting on my third week as a full-time Square employee, and I could go on about the quality of treatment as an employee here. The environment, colleagues, resources, technology are brilliant, and I go to work every day feeling valued. The access to resources and equipment is impeccable, and any troubleshooting or questions needing to be answered are met with friendly responses from co-workers who are eager to help. Work-Life balance is perfect, mainly because I don't dread coming to work. The company itself values transparency, which is something I highly respect. There isn't a tier-to-tier block when wanting to know whats going on. The leaders I respond to see you eye-to-eye, and don't look down on you from a pedestal. I don't see myself going anywhere for quite some time.

Cons

I guess the only concern I have (although it's something I haven't much thought of or brought up to my manager) is personal growth within the company. During orientation, the progression of different roles was unclear; but honestly, this isn't too big of a concern of mine. The company is growing exponentially, and judging by the treatment of its employees, I would guess the same of internal advancement.

Perhaps a little more time spent on orientation. 3 days wasn't enough to fully grasp the company in-and-out.

Four years and still going strong

Current Employee - Brand Lead in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Brand Lead in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at Square for 4 years, and my work is just as meaningful and impactful as the first day I started. It's important that I have independence/ownership of my work -- I have that at Square. I'm also always learning. We move fast, and I'm surrounded by incredible people who I learn from everyday.

Cons

Depending on who you are, this could be a pro or a con: You must be flexible to work at Square. We move fast and take risks.

Take more time to recognize teams' accomplishments.

My work significantly impacts the company

I have been working at Square full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Square is an awesome place to work right now. The company is still small enough that my work has a major impact on the company, but large enough to provide great benefits and job security. Teams from all different disciplines (engineering, marketing, support, legal, management) work together so well and help each other succeed. Upper management is incredible. They're very open and honest, and nobody is off limits if you have a question.

The Atlanta office has a great group of engineers. It has a small company vibe, but we're very connected with SF and work with teams their daily.

Cons

Working on impactful projects can be demanding. Square is growing in a competitive market, and people naturally feel pressure to implement high-quality new features within a tight timeframe.

Vibrant workplace, smart colleagues, great opportunities.

I have been working at Square full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Rewarding work, deep technical problems to solve which have direct impact to the business. Culture of openness and collaboration; company structure treats employees with respect and rewards individual responsibility and initiative. Unbeatable time off and leave policy.

Cons

Can be intense at times; there's a lot of work to be done. Company experiments with improving internal process regularly and is growing rapidly, which can lead to some heartburn as management adjusts. Career growth is very self-driven. No 401k match.

Great place to learn and work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company is still fairly new so we all are learning and challenging each other. We success together and fail together as a team. People here are smart, young, and energetic. Very transparency company that we share all information within all teams.

Cons

The company been growing very fast and start to lose connection with people and might lose focus on the key thing. As the company continues to grow faster and bigger, it getting less opportunity to try different things and get your voice out.

Open, Energetic, Encouraging

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square (less than an year)

Pros

The culture is very inclusive and open. Everybody is onboard and excited to build on Square's growth every day. I am learning new things all time for excellent/bright peers.

Cons

Since its large growth, its probably taking longer than it could do for top-level decisions to permeate to the ground team! Its hard here to have the urge to take time off!

Brillant coworkers, Great work content

I have been working at Square full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- My colleagues are some of the best and brightest in both the technology and banking field
    - Working for a mission driven company is constantly inspiring
    - Excellent benefits

Cons

- Some growing pains