Square Reviews

Reset
4.5
Square Founder & CEO Jack Dorsey
Jack Dorsey

Pros
  • work/life balance is something my direct leadership team follows closely (in 8 reviews)

• Square has been a great place to work for the past few years (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing really fast so sometimes there is the feeling of us being stretched too thin working on too many things at the same time (in 8 reviews)

• The company is going through some major growing pains (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

I've been at Square for more than three years.

I have been working at Square full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Square has been a great place to work for the past few years. It's provided me the opportunity to grow in my career and learn new skills, while simultaneously witnessing a rapidly growing company adjust on the fly to new challenges. Working at a company that grows and changes so rapidly has been one of the best ways to learn quickly. The amount of experiences that I feel like I've faced in the few years I've been here seems much higher than my peers at slower moving companies. I think this can only benefit me. There are a lot of great people here to work with and learn from. I have real friends here, not just co-workers. Leadership has become much stronger on account of some key hires.

Cons

Growing pains come with the territory when you move quickly in an industry that is constantly changing. We are going up against behemoths that have deeper pockets and more resources than us. In my opinion, that makes it a bit more fun, but it does make for some thrash as the priorities evolve and shift with the changes in the environment.

Advice to Management

Maintain transparency.

Jul 6, 2015 – Comms Lead

Thanks for your review. Our work is really challenging, and there are many opportunities for career growth. Glad to hear you've never stopped learning.

Really fantastic company, great people, amazing benefits

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly people Challenging work Unlimited opportunity for self-starters who take initiative Great benefits Amazing leadership, from exec to his staff and their reports. Some of the smartest folks I've ever seen in one place with great experience.

Cons

Lots of new people starting all the time who have to get used to the fast pace and ownership given to them. The media has no idea how well the company is doing and how much success we're having since we're a private company. Can make us look bad even though the business is very strong.

Advice to Management

Get out in front of the media more and tell our story!

Jul 6, 2015 – Comms Lead

Thanks for your review. While the confusion about our business is frustrating, the truth about our growth/health continues to be surfaced. Thrilled to read all of your "Pros!"

The best

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Square (More than a year)

Pros

Incredibly smart, productive coworkers. Fun, active office culture. Challenging workload with a ton of support. The best managers I've ever had.

Cons

The company is growing really fast, as other reviewers have noted. This can feel sprawling sometimes, although often that feeling is tempered by strong interpersonal relationships and encouragement to grow and share ideas.

Jul 14, 2015 – Comms Lead

Thanks for your review. While we're growing, we've been able to keep teams small -- which, as you know, helps us move fast and maintain strong interpersonal relationships.

Wild Ride

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Square full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart passionate people, reasonably successful so far.

Cons

Initial group of scrappy seasoned start-up veterans created a great culture, but were swamped by HRs insistence on hiring wave after wave of new college grads from "Top 10" (mostly Ivy League) schools. There is a big difference between someone who wants to build a successful company and someone who wants to work at an already successful company. Square can't start coasting yet.

Advice to Management

Hire some senior engineering management and listen to them. Putting 20 somethings in charge of your most critical payment systems is not a good idea.

6. intern

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY

I have been working at Square (Less than a year)

Pros

Best people to work with

Cons

none that i can think of

Jul 6, 2015 – Comms Lead

Thanks for your review. Thrilled to hear you're enjoying your internship.

Great Company

Current Employee - Customer Support in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Support in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Very organized and driven by its mission. -Great moral character by all executives. -Kind and respectful culture. Everyone is treated with the same level of respect.

Cons

-Team transfers can be based on friendships instead of job performance.

Jul 14, 2015 – Comms Lead

Thanks for your review. Please check out our new internal mobility program.

Train wreck in progress

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Square full-time

Pros

- Great perks, food and environment in the SF office. - Company likes to contribute to open source. - Engineering org is strong (but other orgs are much less strong by comparison). - Products you care about, helping sellers grow.

Cons

- Intensely political environment. - Constant re-orgs and management changes, like every month, to the point of being an internal joke. - Scandal central. Every high level manager sleeping with every other high level manager's girlfriend. - Company is run by high functioning alcoholics. You will be expected to DRINK. - Company has wasted hundreds of man years of effort (see Square Wallet, Pay by Name, Square Order, etc.) and now lacks direction. - Payments space is a race to the bottom, competition from PayPal, Amazon etc. is fierce. - Sky-high valuation is not justified by company's fundamentals. - Tech stack is disliked by many engineers and is burdened by years of tech debt mostly accumulated during the Starbucks launch. - High attrition, especially in the remote offices, and very especially in New York (>30%/yr). p.s. most of the glowing reviews here were written by HR

Advice to Management

The company needs a sensible, sane and realistic plan, implemented by a stable, high functioning management team.

prefer to not say

I have been working at Square

Pros

You get to work on products and services that impact the most passionate business owners in the world. You can leave your fingerprints on commerce and help an important sector of the global economy flourish.

Cons

The company changes focus too often, slowing work through reorgs and leadership shifts. Communication is controlled. You can get a slap on the wrist for speaking your mind, which is counter to said values of transparency. The company touts that it is supportive of women, however, the male to female ratio is abhorrent.

Creative, open, fair, exciting, inspiring.

Current Employee - California in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - California in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square

Pros

Surrounded by really sharp, design-oriented people. Everybody is open to learn, everybody wants to help the little guys. It's an inspiring place to be.

Cons

Sometimes decisions and priorities change, but it's all a part of the process.

11. I work on the business team as a business associate.

Current Employee - Business Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Changing the world, empowering small business owners and individuals globally, great team and culture

Cons

Compensation a bit lower than what you would earn at a comparable company

Advice to Management

Need to re-visit compensation (both cash and equity) across the board.

RSS Feed </> Embed