Square Reviews

Updated September 12, 2014
4.7

Square Founder & CEO Jack Dorsey
Jack Dorsey

Don't believe what you read in the press

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Square full-time

Pros

Square has been a fantastic experience for me. We've expanded our product from a payments solution to a full-featured point of sale, and there are lots of exciting projects happening around that. The company (and Jack) genuinely care about having a positive impact on the world.

Cons

Dealing with negative press is demoralizing. Some of it's true, some of it isn't—either way, it affects recruiting candidates because they don't see what's really going on at the company.

this koolaid tastes amazing!

I have been working at Square full-time

Pros

- culture is honest and open
    - colleagues are fun, hard working, and ambitious
    - the work is complex, inspiring, and exciting
    - leadership team is strong
    - perks are perfect
    - plenty of opportunities for mentorship and upward mobility

Cons

- transparency efforts (ex, open Q&A each week, company-wide email threads) can make me really dislike / lose respect for some of my colleagues, but I wouldn't have it any other way honestly.

Can't imagine working anywhere else

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

The level of transparency is shocking and inspiring. You're limited by your ambition at Square and given the data/information you need to do what you need to do.

Everyone at Square cares about what we're doing. Our mission/purpose is something worth fighting for.

Feel surrounded by the smartest people in the world.

Cons

There are too few programs for learning/development/growth. The company needs to invest more in internal growth and mobility.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Smart people, meaningful product, fast growth

I have been working at Square full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Square's a great place to get your career started as a software engineer. There's a pretty high standard of code quality, good test coverage, great knowledge sharing (lots of pair programming), and it's still pretty easy to get your ideas on the table and find yourself in a position to build them out. The office is gorgeous, there are tons of perks (massage therapists & chiropractors onsite, coffee bar with baristas, cafeteria with a pizza oven for breakfast/lunch/dinner, etc), and the people are all super friendly & great to work with. The thing that really sets Square apart from others is that it both has soul as a company, and a viable business model. It's easy to see your work out in the real world, and feels validating to talk with people using the actual product.

Cons

We seem to go through an inordinate amount of re-orgs, though perhaps that's normal for a company that's growing as rapidly as Square has over the last few years. With the fast growth, it's easy to slip between the cracks, so you have to keep on your toes to move with the company.

We put a lot of emphasis on "focus", but I'd challenge us to really think about what that means. It's difficult to focus in on product direction when the company is growing and changing at such a fast pace. We are doing too many things. Let's slow down, stop re-orging, and focus on the product.

An entrepreneur incubator with tons of room to grow

I have been working at Square full-time for less than a year

Pros

- This stuff matters : Square is working to make it easier for the small, indie coffee shops to exist and thrive. If you want to work on stuff that matters in a real way to real people, Square is certainly going to give you that.
    - Shared mission : We're working hard to make commerce easy, and everybody in the company feels this in their work.
    - Fantastic leadership : The senior leadership here at Square is extraordinary. They keep us looking forward while empowering people to stand up and make big decisions that affect the future of the company.
    - No ceiling : Your growth at Square is only limited by your own ambition. It's easy to move around the company and make an impact in whatever way you are able.
    - Great office space : I'm a sucker for good design, and this office exemplifies that. This place embodies the agile work methodology, allowing you to easily collaborate when you need to, while giving you plenty of quiet spots to get some heads-down work done.
    - Transparency : Any young entrepreneur should be chomping at the bit to work here. The opportunity to get an inside look at all of the financials and strategic decision-making at a company of this size cannot be overstated.

Cons

- Maintaining a good work-life balance is on you. There will never be a shortage of work, but there is definitely a culture of reasonable individual expectations.
    - Compensation is just a touch below market, but I feel this gap is more than adequately addressed via the equity that is offered.

- 401(k) matching, at this stage in the company's life, should be a given. I'm more or less baffled that this hasn't yet been addressed.
    - Transparency is so important to the success that this company has enjoyed. I'd argue that the pros to keeping our transparency alive even as we grow heavily outweigh the cons of the occasional leak. This is one of the reasons I decided to work here, so please don't take it away.

Amazing opportunity for professional and personal growth

Current Employee - Security Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Security Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing environment, very talented peers, good compensation packages (equity heavy) and very rewarding work.

Cons

The company is growing really fast so sometimes there is the feeling of us being stretched too thin working on too many things at the same time.

More clarity around what the focus should be and what projects to cut would be beneficial for the company.

The people - bright, sociable, kind, thoughtful. A fusion of the best of Google and Apple culture.

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's uplifting and delightful when small business owners write to us about how our software helped their business thrive by being efficient and making the right business decisions. Unlimited vacation is wonderful and opens up workplace dynamics you wouldn't see otherwise - wanna work from another city/country for a few weeks? Go right ahead, you could have taken it as vacation anyway. Need to help a friend move? Feeling tired? Take some time off.

Food is phenomenal. Perks are great. The highlight is still the people.

Cons

Competition in the payments space is fierce and there are some serious 800-pound gorillas in the room (Amazon, Paypal, Apple, Google) - you don't get the comfortable security of knowing that massive network effects guarantee company success like you would at a place like Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp, Uber, etc. There's a certain hit to morale seeing the explosive success of all these other companies while we slowly fight against the bureaucracy of governments, banks and financial systems, but I think we will outlive them all.

Best of both worlds

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

Square is the perfect balance between large, established company and fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants startup. It has the culture and energy of the latter and the perks and momentum of the former. Working with this many smart, passionate, well-meaning people is a true gift.

Cons

In the past things were a bit chaotic -- they still are, but we've gotten better at focus. We could still do more.

Letting poor performers go is hard. We need to learn to be better.

Great Company

Current Employee - Operations Analyst  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great autonomy, great work life balance, learn ALOT about all sorts of different things due to the fantastic transparency of the company. Awesome office... no drudgery to a boring cubicle here!

Cons

Being a small company, not much room to grow in terms of your traditional company hierarchy... but this can also be a Pro.... since as an individual you have room to run your own show and work with a small team of really smart and empowered people.

Awesome company with massive prospects for growth but going through some growing pains.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

I work with amazingly talent, super smart people every day and in all functions. The company is truly collaborative and typically doesn't let titles, roles, or politics get in the way of doing the right thing. Intense focus on the customer and taking the moral high ground even in facing of competitors who abuse and mislead their customers (unfortunately, effectively, at times).

Cons

The company is going through some major growing pains. The board of directors is a superstar cast (Mary Meeker, Vinod Kohsla, Roelof Botha, Jack Dorsey, and Larry Summers) and the executive management team is very strong, especially in Products (Gokul R), Business (Francoise B), and Finance (Sarah F).

Spend time to build up the next level of leadership - this is the weakest area for the company. Focus more on doing fewer things, better rather than trying to many (new) things, concurrently.

Square Response

Jul 31, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thanks for your review. We appreciate you speaking to our strong leadership team. As our company grows, we measure what people are working on and prioritize our work.

Worked for Square? Contribute to the Community!