Square

Updated October 30, 2014
4.6

Square Founder & CEO Jack Dorsey
Jack Dorsey

Pros
  • Work-Life balance is perfect, mainly because I don't dread coming to work (in 8 reviews)

• It's the highest caliber staff who also have a relaxed work environment and have fun together (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing very quickly, so it's becoming more challenging to maintain complete transparency (in 8 reviews)

• You need to make a conscious effort to maintain a work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

I've been at Square for more than three years.

I have been working at Square full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Square has been a great place to work for the past few years. It's provided me the opportunity to grow in my career and learn new skills, while simultaneously witnessing a rapidly growing company adjust on the fly to new challenges.

Working at a company that grows and changes so rapidly has been one of the best ways to learn quickly. The amount of experiences that I feel like I've faced in the few years I've been here seems much higher than my peers at slower moving companies. I think this can only benefit me.

There are a lot of great people here to work with and learn from. I have real friends here, not just co-workers.

Leadership has become much stronger on account of some key hires.

Cons

Growing pains come with the territory when you move quickly in an industry that is constantly changing. We are going up against behemoths that have deeper pockets and more resources than us. In my opinion, that makes it a bit more fun, but it does make for some thrash as the priorities evolve and shift with the changes in the environment.

Maintain transparency.

Great place for software engineering

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Square part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- The engineers here tend to be really good. The senior engineers are the best and brightest I've worked with. The junior ones are also very sharp and have lots of potential.
    - Some really interesting technical problems to work on -- lots of fun, challenging, and interesting work.
    - In addition to being smart, the people are generally great to get along with.
    - Cash compensation is good for this market. Benefits are decent. And equity has a chance to be worth a lot.
    - Transparency and meritocracy are strong values (much better than typical corporate culture).
    - Great mission, lots of passion for helping small businesses and generally improving commerce.
    - Cool office space (SF has amazing space, a shuffleboard table, and a pool table. ATL has a cool space, nice bar, and a ping-pong table.)

Cons

- We're not yet great at remote collaboration (video conferencing, etc). This can make it hard, being outside of SF (though things have been constantly improving since I've been here -- it was really bad when I first started).
    - Sometimes there are techno-politics to deal with. Engineers are diverse in opinions (which is great!). But there seem to be a lot of ideologists and fewer pragmatists (not great!)
    - Roller coaster ride based on press coverage. (It's been more negative press recently I think, which is saddening, especially since so much of it is inaccurate.)

Couldn't be much better.

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square part-time

Pros

I feel so lucky to work here. My team is full of incredibly smart, friendly, funny people - all people I'd want to be friends with outside of work. I feel both challenged and supported in my work. I genuinely trust Jack as a leader as well as the rest of our execs. And of course the perks and office space are wonderful too. Pay feels really fair, even generous (except for holiday time: see below.)

Cons

It has been very, very difficult to get time off. Part of this is a function of my team, and I get that someone needs to be around to do the work. However, I think that if you're going to require people to stay and work over holidays, you should be paying them enough them enough to really make it worth it.

Incentivize holiday time off such that, instead of forcing people to stay, they actually WANT to. This is better for everyone in the long run.

Challenging, exciting and rewarding

Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Sales at Square is an extremely unique environment; we're essentially a startup within a larger, more established company. We've grown tremendously since our inception 11 months ago not only in size, but process, strategy and performance. The leadership team is collaborative, supportive and extremely sharp and you have the opportunity to be involved in high level decisions that have a huge impact on the sales org.

Cons

Given how quickly Square is growing and iterating on product offerings it becomes more and more challenging to stay on top of an ever changing roadmap. Transparency and communication is a good thing, but too much of it has a tendency to dilute critical messages.

Couldn't be more proud to be a Square - keep it up!

Fast paced and energetic company, with great work/life balance.

I have been working at Square full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- engaging, smart, and helpful coworkers
    - leaders who encourage taking risks, which allows for great personal growth
    - the food
    - transparent, energetic, flat, and fun culture make coming to work extremely easy

Cons

- undefined career path within business team may become an issue down the road
    - that said, company is still young and defining structure is a more advanced part of growth

- continue to maintain culture as headcount rises

I LOVE WORKING HERE

I have been working at Square full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great people, work environment, and more.
    Everyone is great here and Square always makes sure there's something to look forward to- the Town Square company-wide meetings are awesome and fun to see what's happening around the company. Since we're not a huge work place, you start seeing friendly faces on each floor. Especially the cafeteria, where you're fed some of the best meals I've had. i.e. Prime Rib last Friday. Can't complain at all! We're spoiled. On a work-side, you'll have a team lead that you can bring questions and concerns to, and they're always there to help along the way.

Cons

Change happens every day, but at a start-up, I'd expect this! Again, I can't complain about much while working here.

Sometimes recruiters don't put enough effort in. Once I got a job, my recruiter doesn't even really say hi.

The environment and product we are building is what sold me here.

Software Engineering

I have been working at Square full-time (less than an year)

Pros

From a software engineer point of view, you get the opportunity to work and learn lots of different software stacks. Backend services are usually either in Java or Go. The frontend is written in Ruby and Javascript based frameworks. We also have a handful of Android and iOS apps.

Whether you want to focus on one area or contribute to project across the board, Square is a great place to work! My peers are amazingly talented. I think I have a good work-life balance.

We also have a culture of pair-coding, which I think is great. It prevents procrastination, encourages the exchange of skills, and helps ensure more than one person is really familiar with the codebase.

You can read more about Square Engineering: http://corner.squareup.com

Cons

Square is still a rapidly growing company which comes with pros and cons.

It's a pleasure working at Square

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time (more than an year)

Pros

--mission: We have honorable missions--to service our merchants and to make commerce easy. We also have other practices such as “clean street” (where we go out and pick up trashes in the SF city every Friday) and “give a meal” (where we donate lunch money). It feels good to work with such missions in mind.

--people: I am very impressed by the executive team. I am always looking forward to the weekly “town square”, where the executive team present visions, execution, results, and lessons learned.

--working environment: The SF office is beautiful; meals (three per day) are exceptional; the South Bay office is convenient.

Cons

--engineering team: The engineering team is not very mature, reflected by frequent reorganization and some, IMO, rather arbitrary choices in the technology stack.

Square is amazing!

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Square has such an amazing work environment. There is a sense of motivation and hard work that is evident throughout the office, but at the same time it is very comfortable and laid back. All departments intermingle and therefore Square employees act as a community. We are all here for the same reason, and it shows. I have felt nothing but welcome, comfortable, and inspired by Square's mission since day one.

Cons

The company is relatively young, so at times I have experienced a lack of structure in some procedure.

Work With Smart People and Better the World

Current Employee - Business Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really energetic and vibrant company with really well rounded and talented peers. It's fascinating to work at a company that has tripled in size since I joined and has a lot of really cool products on the road map. We bolster businesses in a really positive way and receive encouraging feedback from our customers.

Offices are a little sterile, but very nice. Great benefits and perks (especially if you like coffee, smoothies or free food).

Transparency is excellent. It's refreshing to know what our finances look like, what's on the product roadmap and why decisions are made. It helps promote accountability and gives me the information I need to do my job.

The product leadership is great -- we set ambitious hardware and software goals and generally get things out close to deadline.

Cons

Career advancement is a bit difficult. The company structure is very flat, so if you want to lead a team someday, odds are that's not going to happen. However, if you have an idea or something you think the company should be doing, you can add it to your role and put together a project team to help you. It's just hard to ever get to a I-Have-Direct-Reports position if you aren't hired directly into one.

Consider promoting from within when leadership roles open up rather than always asking "Who's the best external person in the world for this job?"