Square

Square Reviews

Updated Apr 2, 2014

Jack Dorsey

Smart, passionate, hardworking co-workers

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Square full-time for less than a year

ProsBeautiful office with amazing perks and benefits.
Meaningful work and lots of ownership.
Very smart and passionate people that you get to work with.
Square succeeds when you succeed. This is a company that will listen to what you are passionate about and try to place you in a role where you will perform to at your full potential.

ConsSalaries are not competitive, but the equity is great.
No work life balance, although I don't mind because I am very passionate about my work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize your employees.

Best people I've ever worked with

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Square full-time for less than a year

ProsNumber 1: people people people. I've never worked with so many highly intelligent, friendly, curious, and intrinsically motivated people in my life. This, above all, makes going into Square every day exciting, fun, and rewarding.

- Clear mission. It's even carved into a wall in our new office. "Make commerce easy" Everyone in the company, from engineering to finance to support knows it, creating this really positive energy and spirit of teamwork like "we're all in this together."
- High impact, meaningful work. On the micro scale, it's always so cool when you visit a business running on Square and see your product being used day-in, day-out. On the macro scale, metrics showing the huge number of businesses using Square every day always awes me.
- Incredible learning opportunities. Every engineer is happy and willing to teach something new. I've learned an insane amount!
- Transparency. Almost nothing is secret inside Square. All our metrics are available to all employees. Notes from every meeting are shared - including board meetings. New strategies and products are shown early and often. A huge amount of trust is placed in each of us to keep these secrets but it's incredibly empowering and can even spark new ideas across the company.
- Challenging the status quo. Square is growing and iterating extremely fast. Old processes are quickly questioned and replaced if they get in the way. Employees are encouraged to ask the senior staff anything they want during our weekly "Town Hall" on Fridays.
- Tons of autonomy. Individually, employees have the latitude to work when they want, how they want. Some people get in past 11am & stay later while some work typical 9-5 hours. We have an unlimited vacation policy as well. Engineering teams also have a great deal of autonomy. Each team has full-stack engineers, designers, and product people so they can design, build, and ship their own product.
- Work/Life balance. I usually work around 45 hours a week and am always home for dinner. One engineer even took a whole month vacation recently. There are some who still work insane hours, but managers are actively discouraging it.
- Amazing office & perks. I love having our office downtown instead of traveling far away to some cordoned off campus. It feels like we're really a part of the city. Our restaurant in the building provides us with amazing food, but lots of food trucks and local restaurants are within blocks.
- Hack Week. 4 times a year, the entire company takes the whole week to work on something different. This isn't just for engineers - everyone participates. It brings in a lot of creative energy and has even been the birthplace of some of our products.

ConsNothing major. Most of the cons people have written about have been addressed in the last year or so. I have no plans to leave anytime soon! :)

The best company I've worked for

I have been working at Square full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCareer development. My role is constantly changing (in a good way!) and I'm always learning and challenged in my work.

Hack Week. Four weeks per year that allow all employees to test and develop ideas, some of which become products (including one of mine :)

Passionate and interesting people. I'm inspired by my coworkers.

Biking to the office. I love working and living in San Francisco.

ConsA year ago, there were gaps in leadership. Most of those have been filled now with amazing leaders like Sarah Friar, Gokul Rajaram and Francoise Brougher joining the team. We're still a young company and over the past three years, I've seen lots of ups and downs. I'm feeling optimistic for the year ahead.

hate it

I have been working at Square

Proscompany is growing pretty well

Conspeople are terrible and horrible to work with

Advice to Senior Managementsell out before the run is over

Working at Square is amazing. The people, the work, and the mission make coming to work every day a pleasure.

I have been working at Square full-time

ProsAt Square, every employee is given a ton of responsibility and the opportunities are endless.

ConsIf you don't love a fast pace, high grown, and exciting work environment, then Square probably wouldn't be for you.

The most challenging and satisfying job I've ever had

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

ProsManagement that truly listens. A culture of constant improvement, with smart and passionate coworkers. Working on a good product at a company that cares about it's customers and community. A dynamic and quickly changing environment. A reasonable work/life balance.

Unlike some reviewers, I find the work life balance totally acceptable, but it does require require some amount of personal responsibility. Decide how much you're willing to work, and then do that. I tend to work 40 hours a week, and take several weeks of vacation a year. I encourage my team to do the same.

ConsSquare is still a young company, so it's still figuring out how best to work. There isn't always the same structure you'd expect to find at a more mature company.

We have a high standard of quality for all of our work, which can be both a pro and a con.

Meaningful work and mission, collaborative culture

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

ProsOur mission and work is meaningful and has a positive impact on the world.
Senior management's integrity and commitment are incontrovertible.
Colleagues are highly intelligent, collaborative, and motivated.
Engineering has a high commitment to quality work.

ConsWe've grown quickly, and there have been some growing pains.
The information overload takes some getting used to.
Location in SF makes it hard for South Bay commuters.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to keep a laser focus on execution and innovation in service of our customers.

Impact, accountability, action.

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros- deeply rooted mission - at the end of the day we are changing people's lives for the better
- ideas are valued
- you are accountable for everything you do
- impact, everyday I can say that I contributed to something.
- tons of momentum
- lots of opportunity to grow vertically and horizontally within the company
- new, very experienced and respected leadership

Cons- we're getting bigger and with that comes a lot of testing, learning and iterating. So be prepared for being a part of that. Perfection doesn't happen on the first try.
- processes are not as ironed out as it is at Google or Facebook
- small company feel is turning into mid-size company feel

Great learning experience, formal for a tech company

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Square as an intern

ProsIncredibly smart people, strong core values, great design, fantastic perks. The people are nice, the food is fantastic, the office is beautiful, and it is an incredibly launchpad for any career in technology

ConsStringent, almost corporate culture, formal for a tech company, tense atmosphere. While the people are nice they can be workaholics - nothing on a finance or consulting company - but many feel as though their work is being micromanaged by bosses. Some feel that Jack's hold on the company is too strong.

Early employee who has grown with the company.

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Square full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Collaborative environment
- Ideas and prioritization comes from the line
- Lots of mentorship opportunities for individual contributors.

Cons- Promoting from within also means that there aren't enough senior managers.
- Needs more mentorship opportunities at the manager level.
- Need to fund speculative projects a little less and ship earlier / fail fast.

Worked for Square? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Square reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Square CEO Jack Dorsey. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Square employees.