Square

www.squareup.com

Square Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Jack Dorsey

The people - bright, sociable, kind, thoughtful. A fusion of the best of Google and Apple culture.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIt's uplifting and delightful when small business owners write to us about how our software helped their business thrive by being efficient and making the right business decisions. Unlimited vacation is wonderful and opens up workplace dynamics you wouldn't see otherwise - wanna work from another city/country for a few weeks? Go right ahead, you could have taken it as vacation anyway. Need to help a friend move? Feeling tired? Take some time off.

Food is phenomenal. Perks are great. The highlight is still the people.

ConsCompetition in the payments space is fierce and there are some serious 800-pound gorillas in the room (Amazon, Paypal, Apple, Google) - you don't get the comfortable security of knowing that massive network effects guarantee company success like you would at a place like Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp, Uber, etc. There's a certain hit to morale seeing the explosive success of all these other companies while we slowly fight against the bureaucracy of governments, banks and financial systems, but I think we will outlive them all.

Exciting company, great team!

ProsHighly collaborative work environment that values the ideas of it's employees. A great place to work if you want opportunities to contribute at a high level.

ConsFast moving organization with lots of change. If you are not open to change it is not a great place for you.

Awesome Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat culture. Lots of smart and friendly people. Solid benefits including on-site extras. Many difficult, challenging problems to work on. Lots of opportunity to grow and be part of something special with financial upside.
    I read all of the Glassdoor reviews and Quora comments before joining earlier this year. You need to take them with a large grain of salt as they are limited, older data points. It's a great place if you like to work hard and enjoy delivering results that make a difference.

ConsEverybody has accepted a less than market compensation to be here. Although, Square does try to make it up with options as do many startups. Minor point - no 401k match is a bummer for savers, but again understandable given the close management of cash.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain transparency with employees. Don't let the mistakes of the few bad apples affect the many good apples.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Passion drives the business

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe company is young, smart and innovative. Everyone is passionate about the brand and what Square does. That is seen in the day to day minutiae and in large scale projects.

ConsSalary is supplemented by stellar benefits.

Aug 1, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thanks for your review. We are all so passionate about our mission, and we are thrilled you can feel the energy.

All talented peers around

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe company grows very fast! And everyone grows with the company together. Engineers here are very talented, and people are collaborating a lot here, so I can always learn new stuff from my peers.

ConsWhen a company grows really really fast, it's hard to manage the resources to make sure everyone is working on the most important thing. The company also needs to adjust the strategy, the organization to fit the changes of the market, etc.

Awesome company with massive prospects for growth but going through some growing pains.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI work with amazingly talent, super smart people every day and in all functions. The company is truly collaborative and typically doesn't let titles, roles, or politics get in the way of doing the right thing. Intense focus on the customer and taking the moral high ground even in facing of competitors who abuse and mislead their customers (unfortunately, effectively, at times).

ConsThe company is going through some major growing pains. The board of directors is a superstar cast (Mary Meeker, Vinod Kohsla, Roelof Botha, Jack Dorsey, and Larry Summers) and the executive management team is very strong, especially in Products (Gokul R), Business (Francoise B), and Finance (Sarah F).

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend time to build up the next level of leadership - this is the weakest area for the company. Focus more on doing fewer things, better rather than trying to many (new) things, concurrently.

Jul 31, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thanks for your review. We appreciate you speaking to our strong leadership team. As our company grows, we measure what people are working on and prioritize our work.

Happy working here, have been several years, will stay

Engineering Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsMove fairly quickly here at work. Solve interesting distributed systems problems. I've been at google, other similar startups, and other non-sfbay companies. Square is my favorite because of the real problems we are solving, the focus on design and building the right thing and helping merchants. The upside if we succeed is very big - everyone in the world does commerce daily - we want to make that better.

Worked here a long time as an engineer before trying management. Engineering managers are all engineers, which is a very good sign.

ConsSalary is lower than google, but that's what you'd expect when you trade equity for cash.

Jul 31, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thanks for your review. We are extremely proud of our engineering managers and our impact on local sellers.

Small teams, High impact, Exciting product, Great Culture

Human Resources Analyst (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI came from Facebook, where everything was starting to feel "big company." Working at Square has been really refreshing. The environment is fast paced and there is a sense of urgency among all teams. There is autonomy to work on projects that you find interesting. Hackathon is actually Hack Week - a great time to work on whatever you find interesting. Everyone I work with is incredibly smart and I'm learning something new every day.

ConsSpeaking about my team and the teams I work with, we are still working on operational efficiency. Sometimes, pulling a data set and getting set up to run analysis takes more time than it would at a mature company. But that's a trade-off I'm willing to take.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more good leadership

Great Springboard for Start Your Career, Bad Place for Growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInnovative. Learned a ton about the mobile payments/financial services industry.

ConsExtremely high turnover. Management doesn't stick with plans or new initiatives. No direction. You have to play the favorites game to get ahead and get noticed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your plans time to work. If your staff is changing focus and direction every two months, you won't ever have time to measure success.

Jul 31, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Thanks for your feedback. Our team and company are quickly growing, and we are always working to improve employee recognition — such as implementing biannual talent reviews and other recognition ... More

Square

Recruiting Coordinator (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat environment to grow your career

ConsCompensation is lower than average.

Worked for Square? Contribute to the Community!