Square Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014
Updated August 25, 2014

4.6

Jack Dorsey

The people - bright, sociable, kind, thoughtful. A fusion of the best of Google and Apple culture.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's uplifting and delightful when small business owners write to us about how our software helped their business thrive by being efficient and making the right business decisions. Unlimited vacation is wonderful and opens up workplace dynamics you wouldn't see otherwise - wanna work from another city/country for a few weeks? Go right ahead, you could have taken it as vacation anyway. Need to help a friend move? Feeling tired? Take some time off.

Food is phenomenal. Perks are great. The highlight is still the people.

Cons

Competition in the payments space is fierce and there are some serious 800-pound gorillas in the room (Amazon, Paypal, Apple, Google) - you don't get the comfortable security of knowing that massive network effects guarantee company success like you would at a place like Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp, Uber, etc. There's a certain hit to morale seeing the explosive success of all these other companies while we slowly fight against the bureaucracy of governments, banks and financial systems, but I think we will outlive them all.

An entrepreneur incubator with tons of room to grow

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time for less than a year

Pros

- This stuff matters : Square is working to make it easier for the small, indie coffee shops to exist and thrive. If you want to work on stuff that matters in a real way to real people, Square is certainly going to give you that.
    - Shared mission : We're working hard to make commerce easy, and everybody in the company feels this in their work.
    - Fantastic leadership : The senior leadership here at Square is extraordinary. They keep us looking forward while empowering people to stand up and make big decisions that affect the future of the company.
    - No ceiling : Your growth at Square is only limited by your own ambition. It's easy to move around the company and make an impact in whatever way you are able.
    - Great office space : I'm a sucker for good design, and this office exemplifies that. This place embodies the agile work methodology, allowing you to easily collaborate when you need to, while giving you plenty of quiet spots to get some heads-down work done.
    - Transparency : Any young entrepreneur should be chomping at the bit to work here. The opportunity to get an inside look at all of the financials and strategic decision-making at a company of this size cannot be overstated.

Cons

- Maintaining a good work-life balance is on you. There will never be a shortage of work, but there is definitely a culture of reasonable individual expectations.
    - Compensation is just a touch below market, but I feel this gap is more than adequately addressed via the equity that is offered.

- 401(k) matching, at this stage in the company's life, should be a given. I'm more or less baffled that this hasn't yet been addressed.
    - Transparency is so important to the success that this company has enjoyed. I'd argue that the pros to keeping our transparency alive even as we grow heavily outweigh the cons of the occasional leak. This is one of the reasons I decided to work here, so please don't take it away.

Can't imagine working anywhere else

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

The level of transparency is shocking and inspiring. You're limited by your ambition at Square and given the data/information you need to do what you need to do.

Everyone at Square cares about what we're doing. Our mission/purpose is something worth fighting for.

Feel surrounded by the smartest people in the world.

Cons

There are too few programs for learning/development/growth. The company needs to invest more in internal growth and mobility.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best of both worlds

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

Square is the perfect balance between large, established company and fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants startup. It has the culture and energy of the latter and the perks and momentum of the former. Working with this many smart, passionate, well-meaning people is a true gift.

Cons

In the past things were a bit chaotic -- they still are, but we've gotten better at focus. We could still do more.

Letting poor performers go is hard. We need to learn to be better.

Amazing opportunity for professional and personal growth

Current Employee - Security Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Security Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing environment, very talented peers, good compensation packages (equity heavy) and very rewarding work.

Cons

The company is growing really fast so sometimes there is the feeling of us being stretched too thin working on too many things at the same time.

More clarity around what the focus should be and what projects to cut would be beneficial for the company.

Great environment

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time for less than a year

Pros

Frontline of the best technology. Amazing work environment. Can't beat the food. perks. and location. Autonomous work setting, great for the entrepreneurial type of person. Not a place to have your hand held; take the initiative.

Cons

Growing so fast - not really a con but need to be able to handle change.

Great Company

Current Employee - Operations Analyst  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great autonomy, great work life balance, learn ALOT about all sorts of different things due to the fantastic transparency of the company. Awesome office... no drudgery to a boring cubicle here!

Cons

Being a small company, not much room to grow in terms of your traditional company hierarchy... but this can also be a Pro.... since as an individual you have room to run your own show and work with a small team of really smart and empowered people.

Great, developing company with promising horizon

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time for more than a year

Pros

The organization is very flat, that being said career opportunities are everywhere. While there is not a lot of structured development, individuals are free to create their own career path and chase what interests them. This is most commonly seen in the "If its broken, than fix it" mentality that runs through the organization.

The company also has a core set of beliefs in supporting merchants and the community in a very real way. This comes to life in the product roadmaps, and the Friday ritual to spend 30 minutes cleaning the streets in our neighborhood.

The people here are great – professionals who know how to get it done.

Cons

The company is moving fast, and with any fast-paced environment there is not a lot of structure, individuals who like a comfortable and predictable day may struggle to find the 'grounding' they need to be successful.

There are some growing pains with resource allocation, and clear direction. These are usually addressed, but it can take a minute for them to surface and be prioritized.

Smart people, great learning opportunity, and unique culture

Current Employee - Business Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time for less than a year

Pros

Smart people, great learning opportunity, and unique culture

Cons

work hard culture, and need to have work time

Awesome Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Square full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture. Lots of smart and friendly people. Solid benefits including on-site extras. Many difficult, challenging problems to work on. Lots of opportunity to grow and be part of something special with financial upside.
    I read all of the Glassdoor reviews and Quora comments before joining earlier this year. You need to take them with a large grain of salt as they are limited, older data points. It's a great place if you like to work hard and enjoy delivering results that make a difference.

Cons

Everybody has accepted a less than market compensation to be here. Although, Square does try to make it up with options as do many startups. Minor point - no 401k match is a bummer for savers, but again understandable given the close management of cash.

Maintain transparency with employees. Don't let the mistakes of the few bad apples affect the many good apples.

Worked for Square? Contribute to the Community!