SquareTrade

Updated February 26, 2015
Updated February 26, 2015
3.6

Steven Abernethy

Small but decent and effective work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SquareTrade

Pros

Decent work environment, sound technology and helpful coworkers

Cons

Nothing specific about the cons

Keep up with good work

Great People, Great Environment

I worked at SquareTrade

Pros

-Fun and Friendly people
    -Great team events
    -High transparency

Cons

-Lower Salaries
    -Divide between customer service reps and rest of company

Keep on inspiring!

Nice place to work, depending on what team you're on.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SquareTrade full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a nice office, great people with good team attitude.
    Flexible work schedule.

Cons

A bit bureaucratic, sometimes company doesn't provide tools to make you job efficient.
    General refusal to help with commute issues or career growth.
    Company doesn't always hold to their values.

Allow employees more freedom to choose roles that fit their interest or background.
    Managers should be far more interested in their subs career development and education.

An Awful Job With An Awful Company

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SquareTrade full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- slightly above average pay for a call center

Cons

- the customers are awful. the problem is that they've been promised the world by sales reps at stores like staples and sam's club and now expect their warranty to give them things it does not. squaretrade is not doing anything to try and prevent these raised expectations. in fact, a lot of its advertising seems to trick people into thinking their warranties do more than they really do.
    - the company's processes are in shambles. the repair depots and the depot where they get their replacement phones are all terrible. the management rarely addresses these issues and instead wants to hide its head in the sand and pretend everything is okay.
    - really weird company culture. this is the most cliquish experience of my adult life. worse than college and almost as bad as high school.

I have no advice. I think this is a poor company and one that certainly has not earned its success. In fact, I highly suspect it's not really successful and is only afloat because of all the Bain Capital seed money. I'll let you just speculate about that for a moment...

If you are looking for a career Squaretrade is definitely not the place.

Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SquareTrade (more than a year)

Pros

- The pay is better than other call centers.
    - Great Co-workers.
    - Provide you with snacks and breakfast/lunch 3 days a week.

Cons

If you are an individual who is driven, hard working, self-motivated, or wanting to advance your career, you do NOT want to work at Squaretrade.

If you are looking for a company that is growing, cares about their employees, promotes often, cares about their customers and stands behind the product/services they offer, you do NOT want to work at Squaretrade.

Also, I would just like to point out is that the two most recent positive reviews on this site about being promoted are only on here because those particular employees were asked to write reviews by Squaretrade. It is very rare that employees are promoted at this company. And Squaretrade knows that. Hence them asking those employees to write the reviews.

Do not let the craigslist or indeed adds fool you. They try to spin it as if they are a fun start up environment type company. They definitely are NOT. For one they are not a start up but two the only thing that if offered similar to a start up is the snacks. They do not have company events or outings. They do not have wine parties, kickball games, or happy hours. If your lucky you get a company Christmas party. Do not believe what they put on their craigslist or indeed adds. Squaretrade has NO APPRECIATION or RECOGNITION for their employees.

Start paying your managers more. Train them. The employees see them as glorified babysitters. They know nothing about the systems or how to motivate their team. Start being a little bit more appreciative to your employees.

Take not from the former CEO when he was in charge. At least he took the time to talk with his employees here and there. Was able to motivate us and made employees feel like our hard work was not going unnoticed. Your current CEO doesn't even say hi to anyone.

People Come First

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SquareTrade full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company is stocked full of intelligent and effective people and they make working together and problem solving much more satisfying.

I started here at the bottom of the ladder answering the phone to end customers about a year and a half ago, and have had several internal opportunities present themselves. I was promoted into the analytics team and have enjoyed much professional growth in the short six months since that move.

Also, SquareTrade promotes team bonding, group events, and has an awesome cafeteria which serves as a communal eating area, as well as a great space for impromptu meetings (or world cup or world series games). The office is located very conveniently for public transportation options - great for commuters like myself.

Cons

I wish they matched 401k contributions, and sometimes I think that not everyone in every level of management respects how taxing it is to talk to end customers all day. Many customers have unrealistic expectations, but

Lets get that 401k matching! Otherwise, to senior management, you guys have great personalities, and it is clear that everyone wants this company to progress and succeed.

Lots of Oppurtunity

I have been working at SquareTrade full-time

Pros

I started off at SquareTrade as Customer Service Agent. I have IT Consulting experience (5 years) and liked the Values of SquareTrade and decided to work here starting from the bottom to see how far I can move up. In a year, I was appointed with plenty of special assignments. Six months after that, I received a promotion into a position that better utilized my skill set.

I have seen plenty of Agents/Specialists move up to higher level positions, my advice is follow the Core Values and you will get ahead.

The Culture is incredible! Plenty of fun events and free food! The people are kind and you'll find plenty of social people.

The location is perfect, close enough to the Transbay Terminal, CalTrain, and BART!

HR is awesome, and always there to help if you have any issues.

Benefits are great! Medical, Dental, and Vision are covered and barely at the expense of our Paycheck.

Cons

Some days as a Customer Service Specialist can be really rough, push through the day with a positive attitude will bring you to greener pastures.

Pay isn't entirely competitive, however I like SquareTrade too much to be persuaded to leave for higher pay.

Telecommuting would be nice.

Was great in the beginning, company culture and priorities have since shifted.

Former Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SquareTrade full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As like most SF smaller tech companies, there is free snacks and drinks all day. Catered lunches and breakfast. Happy hours and team events. Overall, people are very friendly and willing to help one another out. Executives are usually accessible if needed.

Cons

Management has shifted, company culture is no longer that great. More concerned about themselves than the customers. Marketing hands out director titles like they are free lollipops at the doctors office.

Realize that the company culture has gone downhill and do something about it. Stop promoting marketing staff every six months and handing out new titles -- it demoralizes the other departments who are working just as hard but don't have tons of titles to dish out for no reason. Everyone shouldn't be made into "directors of such and such"

If you are joining customer service, don't expect to move out of customer service.

Former Employee - Technical Support Agent in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Agent in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SquareTrade full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- No one will know whether you are working or not.
    - You can honestly stay off the phones for awhile once you master the tools
    - Great people
    - Relaxed environment
    - Breakfast Monday, Bagel Wednesday, Lunch Fridays
    - Rooftop Deck to eat lunch on great view of the city

Cons

- Micro-managing
    - "Managers" or "Line-Managers" don't want to take escalation calls, and usually don't do anything
    - You will not be paid more for being bilingual or previous experience or degree or speciality queue
    - The company is tiered. One side is customer service (the second class citizens) and the other side is corporate (we care about you guys)
    - There are a lot of business practices that will make you think "Why is a company of this size doing this business process like it is 1990?"
    - If you work customer service, do not ask questions! When I asked about our business processes I was told "don't worry about it, get back on the phone!"

- Quit with the lies to Customer Support Agents about opportunities to move within the company, it is a rare occasion
    - Very high turnover rate, I noticed about 15-20 quit/fired within 2 months specifically in customer service

Claims Agent

Current Employee - Claims Agent in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Agent in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SquareTrade full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free food 3 days a week; breakfast sandwiches/fruit Monday, Bagel Wednesday, catered lunch Fridays
    Great roof deck with views of the city
    You don't have to take your work home with you as an agent, unless you actually work from home
    Coworkers are decent human beings for the most part
    Company outings can be fun, but those seem to be more and more limited. We used to go to Giants games, have laser tag, and a masseuse come in and company picnics. Now it's mostly drinking in the office with some board games, which is still ok, but comparatively speaking, it was better then.
    Some managers genuinely care about you as an individual. Some. I'm grateful that I worked under the ones that did.
    For the job that you do (taking calls all day), pay is okay. Depends on your tolerance on getting yelled at by people across the country.

Cons

It's the same monotonous work over and over again
    You can game the system pretty easily
    When in doubt, just play politics
    Priority is now focusing on growth in Europe instead of fixing the problems that are pressing now
    You have to deal with poorly trained employees from other companies such as TigerDirect, Costco, Sam's Club, and Staples that promise the world to the customers only for them to take out their frustration at us because they didn't get what they thought the paid for
    Some employees simply lack a sense of professionalism; I don't care where you work, unless you're a professional basketball player or if it's Halloween you don't come to work wearing just a basketball jersey and flip flops.
    Career advancement is a total joke. In my first year there were only 3-4 promotions in a group that grew from 50 to 110 people.
    The only thing they care about is how many calls you take, not the quality of calls (as demonstrated by giving an award for contacts/hour to an agent that lasted less than 6 months and led to multiple escalations, and was grossly incompetent in general).
    Hiring external management that gets a significantly higher base pay than your peers (and turns out to be fairly incompetent) leads to a lot of resentment
    There's two sides of the office; "The side that makes all the money and the side that does all the work." Words straight from the CEO. Guess which side gets treated better?

Look at how many of your top claims agents are leaving. Challenge your employees in a meaningful way, not just a "take more calls" way. It's not like there aren't any side projects we as a company can't focus on. But we'd rather focus on the 20 calls in queue, which is stupid since most of that can be handled by the outsourced agents in Pakistan and Manila. At this point you might as well have everyone work out of the outsourced centers and have the American agents all be "managers" and handle escalations.

Challenge your engineers too; seems like most of them are happy with being complacent but there are always problems that need solving rather than a "this can wait" approach. Claims agents will tell you.

Knowing that Bain owns the company as well is somewhat disconcerting, you never know if they're actually focused on growing the company as a whole and maybe IPO or just slash and burn to saddle the entire place with debt so they can cash out. I suppose if the Europe experiment works out the company comes out ahead.

Your reorganization seems to be long overdue, and I'm hoping it's not a too little too late kind of situation. I can tell you now though it is for me.