SquareTrade

SquareTrade Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Steven Abernethy

Great Place To Work

ProsGreat exposure to the end to end service experience and plenty of responsibility placed on individuals. That means it is an ideal place if you are willing to work hard and learn and grow. Great exposure to some very smart senior leaders as well if you are willing to go above and beyond to contribute.

ConsNo cons except for those typical to a fast growing early to mid stage company.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome more planning but that is not surprising given its a company that is seeing exponential growth year over year.

Going places...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat culture and environment, smart and hard working co-workers, lots of opportunities for advancement at all levels for talented people. Good business model that is very successful.

Conshard work sometimes gets under-recognized
    changing priorities can lead to chaos

Advice to Senior Managementget better about sharing the overall strategy with the team

Amazing People and Core Values

(Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsYou get to shape your own successes and see the impact and results directly
    You get to watch a company transition to scale
    The people you work with on a daily basis are very humble and talented
    cool perks (like subsidized gym membership at ClubOne next door and paid Volunteer days)
    Fun company-wide social events

ConsAggressive accountability = Aggressive workload/goals

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of sweat and Lots of laughs

(Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAll-star (and nice) coworkers, challenging problems to sink your teeth into, and the reward of being able to provide amazing services to people.
    Collaborative culture - we learn and sweat together. We recognize failure and learn from it.
    On my teams people have a great sense of humor.
    Having a manager who believes in you defining the vision, execution, and testing for a project.
    Open and very candid company culture.

ConsAs the company gets bigger the management is becoming more top-down, resulting in some products or teams not getting enough internal traction to make impact.
    Priorities are constantly changing, so it's important to remain flexible.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more space for individual ideas to flourish

Not Perfect....But I LOVE SquareTrade!

(Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAwesome people. They are passionate and delightful.
    Great team of leaders. They are approachable and thoughtful.
    Great sense of a community. From ping pong to Friday Happy Hour to company lunches.
    Financial success. Great working at a growing company.

ConsFor my specific position, opportunities might be somewhat limited. People do get promoted or transferred to other department. I am hopeful.
    I have 3 managers in 18 months. Harder to build strong relationships due to rotation.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to build our brand

Best Experience!

(Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsEveryone here has a chance to make a BIG difference and own the success of the company.
    You can see the commitment to building a truly great company in the little details, such as organizing ongoing “Lunch and Learn” sessions to help everyone gain a deeper understanding of our business, and the CEO invites people to lunch and chat from time to time.
    We have an amazing product that literally "Wows" customers everyday, that would explain why we have 225k+ fans on Facebook esp for a warranty company
    Smart and passionate people. Not sure how they do this, but there isn't a rude or super cocky person that works at Squaretrade. They don't get hired and if they find their way in, they won't survive.

ConsStarted moving more towards the corporate world. Some teams have too many processes - things should move faster at our size. Engineering and QA are not fully aligned sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementFight bureaucracy wherever you can. Limit meetings and time spent working on internal processes.

Rapid Growth w/o Drama

Operations Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Proslots of perks like snacks, all-company lunches/breakfasts, occasional company-sponsored happy hours. since no one has an office (not even execs) there are more opportunities to talk to ppl at all levels of the organization. office is in a really, really convenient place too!

Conssome standard growing pains that come with the territory (sometimes info isn't disseminated as quickly or as thoroughly as one would like), though leadership is making visible attempts at alleviating those pains as much as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep getting better at sharing information with employees (for better and for worse)...we appreciate getting filled in and it makes it easier to do our jobs well!

minor growing pains, but still a great place to work

Customer Service (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAside from the food/event/office perks (typical startup), there is a big focus on making sure employees have opportunities for growth here. Even coming from customer service. I think it says a lot about the importance of culture and employee retention that management makes sure to open up positions internally, like in marketing and biz dev. I feel like I'm important and valued.

ConsWe've grown quickly, so some of the rules have changed. It's hard to go from being 100 people to 300 in a couple of years, so of course the culture has changed a little bit.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the opportunities coming! It's so encouraging and important to see (and have the opportunity) for promotions. I feel like my performance impacts my experience and potential here...keep encouraging that mentality!!

Finally, a rewarding job and positive company

ProsSquareTrade has been a wonderful place to grow my career. The culture is open, friendly and smart. Employees are set up for success and challenged to develop their skills and strengths. I look forward to going to work each day to laugh with co-workers, make an impact in my job and know that I'm part of a growing, successful company. The company is not too big that I feel anonymous, and not too small that no process or structure is in place. In fact, it's the perfect size for ambitious people to learn, grow and be successful.

ConsWe're on the 6th floor (of a beautiful new office building), so sometimes we have to stop at every floor before getting to work. That is a lot of elevator awkwardness to endure...

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue creating the positive culture that you have set in motion!

Love SquareTrade!

Pros+ Love the culture
    + What can I say? We get fed 3 times a week with a fully stocked kitchen

Cons- Be prepared to put in as many hours as needed to finish your work.
    - The company is moving rapidly-- sometimes changes are not communicated to everyone within the company

Worked for SquareTrade? Contribute to the Community!