SquareTrade Reviews

3.4
Steven Abernethy

Great People, Great Environment

I worked at SquareTrade

Pros

-Fun and Friendly people
    -Great team events
    -High transparency

Cons

-Lower Salaries
    -Divide between customer service reps and rest of company

Advice to Management

Keep on inspiring!

Lots of Oppurtunity

I have been working at SquareTrade full-time

Pros

I started off at SquareTrade as Customer Service Agent. I have IT Consulting experience (5 years) and liked the Values of SquareTrade and decided to work here starting from the bottom to see how far I can move up. In a year, I was appointed with plenty of special assignments. Six months after that, I received a promotion into a position that better utilized my skill set.

I have seen plenty of Agents/Specialists move up to higher level positions, my advice is follow the Core Values and you will get ahead.

The Culture is incredible! Plenty of fun events and free food! The people are kind and you'll find plenty of social people.

The location is perfect, close enough to the Transbay Terminal, CalTrain, and BART!

HR is awesome, and always there to help if you have any issues.

Benefits are great! Medical, Dental, and Vision are covered and barely at the expense of our Paycheck.

Cons

Some days as a Customer Service Specialist can be really rough, push through the day with a positive attitude will bring you to greener pastures.

Pay isn't entirely competitive, however I like SquareTrade too much to be persuaded to leave for higher pay.

Advice to Management

Telecommuting would be nice.

People Come First

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SquareTrade full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company is stocked full of intelligent and effective people and they make working together and problem solving much more satisfying.

I started here at the bottom of the ladder answering the phone to end customers about a year and a half ago, and have had several internal opportunities present themselves. I was promoted into the analytics team and have enjoyed much professional growth in the short six months since that move.

Also, SquareTrade promotes team bonding, group events, and has an awesome cafeteria which serves as a communal eating area, as well as a great space for impromptu meetings (or world cup or world series games). The office is located very conveniently for public transportation options - great for commuters like myself.

Cons

I wish they matched 401k contributions, and sometimes I think that not everyone in every level of management respects how taxing it is to talk to end customers all day. Many customers have unrealistic expectations, but

Advice to Management

Lets get that 401k matching! Otherwise, to senior management, you guys have great personalities, and it is clear that everyone wants this company to progress and succeed.

Still solid

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SquareTrade (more than a year)

Pros

Colleagues are top notch and management is willing to give you as much responsibility as you've proven you can shoulder.
    Great environment to drive impact and start or grow your career.
    Leaders of SquareTrade are willing to make difficult decisions. When things are broken, they try to fix them.
    Awesome opportunities ahead of us in the International market.
    Peer support and peer recognition - people make this place awesome

Cons

Need more empowerment and autonomy.
    Squaretrade isn't for everyone. People who thrive here tend to deal well with ambiguity, look to add value vs "do their job", and work damn hard. The bar is high.

Advice to Management

Trust that you have the right people in place and let their expertise shine, because when it does, you get an amazing product/service that you constantly brag about.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SquareTrade full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance for engineers. Management always putting me in a position for growth. Interviewees are screened well; so everyone is a good cultural fit. Easy to ask for time-off. Compensation is competitive.

Cons

Company is evolving and trying to improve its processes, so once you start getting used to something, it might change. Nice tho, because at first process was lacking

Great Place To Work

I have been working at SquareTrade full-time

Pros

Great exposure to the end to end service experience and plenty of responsibility placed on individuals. That means it is an ideal place if you are willing to work hard and learn and grow. Great exposure to some very smart senior leaders as well if you are willing to go above and beyond to contribute.

Cons

No cons except for those typical to a fast growing early to mid stage company.

Advice to Management

Some more planning but that is not surprising given its a company that is seeing exponential growth year over year.

Going places...

I have been working at SquareTrade full-time

Pros

Great culture and environment, smart and hard working co-workers, lots of opportunities for advancement at all levels for talented people. Good business model that is very successful.

Cons

hard work sometimes gets under-recognized
    changing priorities can lead to chaos

Advice to Management

get better about sharing the overall strategy with the team

Rapid Growth w/o Drama

Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SquareTrade full-time (more than a year)

Pros

lots of perks like snacks, all-company lunches/breakfasts, occasional company-sponsored happy hours. since no one has an office (not even execs) there are more opportunities to talk to ppl at all levels of the organization. office is in a really, really convenient place too!

Cons

some standard growing pains that come with the territory (sometimes info isn't disseminated as quickly or as thoroughly as one would like), though leadership is making visible attempts at alleviating those pains as much as possible.

Advice to Management

Keep getting better at sharing information with employees (for better and for worse)...we appreciate getting filled in and it makes it easier to do our jobs well!

Finally, a rewarding job and positive company

I have been working at SquareTrade full-time

Pros

SquareTrade has been a wonderful place to grow my career. The culture is open, friendly and smart. Employees are set up for success and challenged to develop their skills and strengths. I look forward to going to work each day to laugh with co-workers, make an impact in my job and know that I'm part of a growing, successful company. The company is not too big that I feel anonymous, and not too small that no process or structure is in place. In fact, it's the perfect size for ambitious people to learn, grow and be successful.

Cons

We're on the 6th floor (of a beautiful new office building), so sometimes we have to stop at every floor before getting to work. That is a lot of elevator awkwardness to endure...

Advice to Management

Continue creating the positive culture that you have set in motion!

Love SquareTrade!

I have been working at SquareTrade full-time (more than a year)

Pros

+ Love the culture
    + What can I say? We get fed 3 times a week with a fully stocked kitchen

Cons

- Be prepared to put in as many hours as needed to finish your work.
    - The company is moving rapidly-- sometimes changes are not communicated to everyone within the company