SquareTrade

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Steven Abernethy

Classic Development Sweatshop

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- Some very nice and helpful people
    - Excellent QA staff
    - Bright, up-and-coming marketing staff
    - Some free snacks and continental breakfasts
    - Reasonable pay
    - Nice, newly remodeled offices
    - Closest thing I've seen to pure Agile development
    - Slowly starting to make headway with brand recognition

Cons- Some of the technology leaders have little-to-no experience outside of SquareTrade and are typically not open to new ideas
    - Very inconsistent work/life balance across development teams (Some development teams would have a reasonable workload, while others would be worked to death and expected to constantly work overtime.)
    - Antiquated underlying architecture
    - A lot of social cliques (Reminds me of high school)
    - REALLY loud "collaborative work environment"
    - Developers are treated as second-class citizens
    - Knowing the internal workings of their claims process makes me feel kind of dirty working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementI understand and admire your loyalty to the handful senior technology folks/decision makers who have been with you for a long time, but it's time to have them step aside (maybe go off and get new experiences elsewhere) so your business and technology can move on the the next level.

Management have no clue.

Anonymous (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe product itself and the mission of the company is great. Free snacks.

ConsSome line managers are completely useless. Have less knowledge than the agents they supervise and as a result they only function as cracking the whip to make sure you stay on phones. Suggestions and bug issues will not be addressed. People who are promoted or hired into higher positions are those that can talk their way into it and often have to delegate everything. Often they just get in the way of the agents who are actually trying to help customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more performance and metrics reviews for supervisors themselves. I ask myself daily what the managers actually do around here or where they are. In fact have their own team review them if you really want to know what's going on.

Great Place To Work

ProsGreat exposure to the end to end service experience and plenty of responsibility placed on individuals. That means it is an ideal place if you are willing to work hard and learn and grow. Great exposure to some very smart senior leaders as well if you are willing to go above and beyond to contribute.

ConsNo cons except for those typical to a fast growing early to mid stage company.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome more planning but that is not surprising given its a company that is seeing exponential growth year over year.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Going places...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat culture and environment, smart and hard working co-workers, lots of opportunities for advancement at all levels for talented people. Good business model that is very successful.

Conshard work sometimes gets under-recognized
    changing priorities can lead to chaos

Advice to Senior Managementget better about sharing the overall strategy with the team

Marketing leadership was awful

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat location, great views from the office, some nice colleagues.

ConsThey are cheapskates, watching every penny and trying to squeeze every last hour out of their employees. You get what you pay for.

Also, marketing leadership didn't know much about marketing.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO is decent, all other top management is difficult to work with and in some cases disrespectful to employees, particularly women.

All the good reviews are SOOO FAKE!

Claims Agent (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCheez-its, coca cola, shuffle board, mandarins

ConsWork-life balance does not exist at this company.
    They promote people who are not capable of doing their job correctly
    There is absolutely no room for growth, regardless of them advertising that.
    Customer service is NOT their first priority just an FYI
    They are penny pinchers to the MAX
    They change policies like crazy, which equals angry customers
    Flexible schedule? I think not...
    The culture at this place has been flushed down the toilet & the toilet overflowed from so much sh*t

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who know how to do their job effectively and have good personalities

Amazing People and Core Values

(Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsYou get to shape your own successes and see the impact and results directly
    You get to watch a company transition to scale
    The people you work with on a daily basis are very humble and talented
    cool perks (like subsidized gym membership at ClubOne next door and paid Volunteer days)
    Fun company-wide social events

ConsAggressive accountability = Aggressive workload/goals

Lots of sweat and Lots of laughs

(Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAll-star (and nice) coworkers, challenging problems to sink your teeth into, and the reward of being able to provide amazing services to people.
    Collaborative culture - we learn and sweat together. We recognize failure and learn from it.
    On my teams people have a great sense of humor.
    Having a manager who believes in you defining the vision, execution, and testing for a project.
    Open and very candid company culture.

ConsAs the company gets bigger the management is becoming more top-down, resulting in some products or teams not getting enough internal traction to make impact.
    Priorities are constantly changing, so it's important to remain flexible.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more space for individual ideas to flourish

Not Perfect....But I LOVE SquareTrade!

(Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAwesome people. They are passionate and delightful.
    Great team of leaders. They are approachable and thoughtful.
    Great sense of a community. From ping pong to Friday Happy Hour to company lunches.
    Financial success. Great working at a growing company.

ConsFor my specific position, opportunities might be somewhat limited. People do get promoted or transferred to other department. I am hopeful.
    I have 3 managers in 18 months. Harder to build strong relationships due to rotation.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to build our brand

Very smart people, aggressive hours

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFriendly people, smart people, lots of free food, pretty often team-building events

ConsSome departments allow for much more growth than others, remote managers make for interesting/lax hours, "get it done" mentality

Worked for SquareTrade? Contribute to the Community!