SquareTrade

3.6

Steven Abernethy

Lots of Oppurtunity

I have been working at SquareTrade full-time

Pros

I started off at SquareTrade as Customer Service Agent. I have IT Consulting experience (5 years) and liked the Values of SquareTrade and decided to work here starting from the bottom to see how far I can move up. In a year, I was appointed with plenty of special assignments. Six months after that, I received a promotion into a position that better utilized my skill set.

I have seen plenty of Agents/Specialists move up to higher level positions, my advice is follow the Core Values and you will get ahead.

The Culture is incredible! Plenty of fun events and free food! The people are kind and you'll find plenty of social people.

The location is perfect, close enough to the Transbay Terminal, CalTrain, and BART!

HR is awesome, and always there to help if you have any issues.

Benefits are great! Medical, Dental, and Vision are covered and barely at the expense of our Paycheck.

Cons

Some days as a Customer Service Specialist can be really rough, push through the day with a positive attitude will bring you to greener pastures.

Pay isn't entirely competitive, however I like SquareTrade too much to be persuaded to leave for higher pay.

Telecommuting would be nice.

People Come First

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SquareTrade full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company is stocked full of intelligent and effective people and they make working together and problem solving much more satisfying.

I started here at the bottom of the ladder answering the phone to end customers about a year and a half ago, and have had several internal opportunities present themselves. I was promoted into the analytics team and have enjoyed much professional growth in the short six months since that move.

Also, SquareTrade promotes team bonding, group events, and has an awesome cafeteria which serves as a communal eating area, as well as a great space for impromptu meetings (or world cup or world series games). The office is located very conveniently for public transportation options - great for commuters like myself.

Cons

I wish they matched 401k contributions, and sometimes I think that not everyone in every level of management respects how taxing it is to talk to end customers all day. Many customers have unrealistic expectations, but

Lets get that 401k matching! Otherwise, to senior management, you guys have great personalities, and it is clear that everyone wants this company to progress and succeed.

Was great in the beginning, company culture and priorities have since shifted.

Former Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SquareTrade full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As like most SF smaller tech companies, there is free snacks and drinks all day. Catered lunches and breakfast. Happy hours and team events. Overall, people are very friendly and willing to help one another out. Executives are usually accessible if needed.

Cons

Management has shifted, company culture is no longer that great. More concerned about themselves than the customers. Marketing hands out director titles like they are free lollipops at the doctors office.

Realize that the company culture has gone downhill and do something about it. Stop promoting marketing staff every six months and handing out new titles -- it demoralizes the other departments who are working just as hard but don't have tons of titles to dish out for no reason. Everyone shouldn't be made into "directors of such and such"

Claims Agent

Current Employee - Claims Agent in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Agent in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SquareTrade full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free food 3 days a week; breakfast sandwiches/fruit Monday, Bagel Wednesday, catered lunch Fridays
    Great roof deck with views of the city
    You don't have to take your work home with you as an agent, unless you actually work from home
    Coworkers are decent human beings for the most part
    Company outings can be fun, but those seem to be more and more limited. We used to go to Giants games, have laser tag, and a masseuse come in and company picnics. Now it's mostly drinking in the office with some board games, which is still ok, but comparatively speaking, it was better then.
    Some managers genuinely care about you as an individual. Some. I'm grateful that I worked under the ones that did.
    For the job that you do (taking calls all day), pay is okay. Depends on your tolerance on getting yelled at by people across the country.

Cons

It's the same monotonous work over and over again
    You can game the system pretty easily
    When in doubt, just play politics
    Priority is now focusing on growth in Europe instead of fixing the problems that are pressing now
    You have to deal with poorly trained employees from other companies such as TigerDirect, Costco, Sam's Club, and Staples that promise the world to the customers only for them to take out their frustration at us because they didn't get what they thought the paid for
    Some employees simply lack a sense of professionalism; I don't care where you work, unless you're a professional basketball player or if it's Halloween you don't come to work wearing just a basketball jersey and flip flops.
    Career advancement is a total joke. In my first year there were only 3-4 promotions in a group that grew from 50 to 110 people.
    The only thing they care about is how many calls you take, not the quality of calls (as demonstrated by giving an award for contacts/hour to an agent that lasted less than 6 months and led to multiple escalations, and was grossly incompetent in general).
    Hiring external management that gets a significantly higher base pay than your peers (and turns out to be fairly incompetent) leads to a lot of resentment
    There's two sides of the office; "The side that makes all the money and the side that does all the work." Words straight from the CEO. Guess which side gets treated better?

Look at how many of your top claims agents are leaving. Challenge your employees in a meaningful way, not just a "take more calls" way. It's not like there aren't any side projects we as a company can't focus on. But we'd rather focus on the 20 calls in queue, which is stupid since most of that can be handled by the outsourced agents in Pakistan and Manila. At this point you might as well have everyone work out of the outsourced centers and have the American agents all be "managers" and handle escalations.

Challenge your engineers too; seems like most of them are happy with being complacent but there are always problems that need solving rather than a "this can wait" approach. Claims agents will tell you.

Knowing that Bain owns the company as well is somewhat disconcerting, you never know if they're actually focused on growing the company as a whole and maybe IPO or just slash and burn to saddle the entire place with debt so they can cash out. I suppose if the Europe experiment works out the company comes out ahead.

Your reorganization seems to be long overdue, and I'm hoping it's not a too little too late kind of situation. I can tell you now though it is for me.

If you are joining customer service, don't expect to move out of customer service.

Former Employee - Technical Support Agent in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Agent in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SquareTrade full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- No one will know whether you are working or not.
    - You can honestly stay off the phones for awhile once you master the tools
    - Great people
    - Relaxed environment
    - Breakfast Monday, Bagel Wednesday, Lunch Fridays
    - Rooftop Deck to eat lunch on great view of the city

Cons

- Micro-managing
    - "Managers" or "Line-Managers" don't want to take escalation calls, and usually don't do anything
    - You will not be paid more for being bilingual or previous experience or degree or speciality queue
    - The company is tiered. One side is customer service (the second class citizens) and the other side is corporate (we care about you guys)
    - There are a lot of business practices that will make you think "Why is a company of this size doing this business process like it is 1990?"
    - If you work customer service, do not ask questions! When I asked about our business processes I was told "don't worry about it, get back on the phone!"

- Quit with the lies to Customer Support Agents about opportunities to move within the company, it is a rare occasion
    - Very high turnover rate, I noticed about 15-20 quit/fired within 2 months specifically in customer service

Still solid

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SquareTrade (more than an year)

Pros

Colleagues are top notch and management is willing to give you as much responsibility as you've proven you can shoulder.
    Great environment to drive impact and start or grow your career.
    Leaders of SquareTrade are willing to make difficult decisions. When things are broken, they try to fix them.
    Awesome opportunities ahead of us in the International market.
    Peer support and peer recognition - people make this place awesome

Cons

Need more empowerment and autonomy.
    Squaretrade isn't for everyone. People who thrive here tend to deal well with ambiguity, look to add value vs "do their job", and work damn hard. The bar is high.

Trust that you have the right people in place and let their expertise shine, because when it does, you get an amazing product/service that you constantly brag about.

So much to do...

I have been working at SquareTrade full-time

Pros

The people who work here are amazingly committed.

Cons

Understaffed and unclear lines of communication and processes.

Slow down. Fix what is broken before adding new partners and features.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SquareTrade full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance for engineers. Management always putting me in a position for growth. Interviewees are screened well; so everyone is a good cultural fit. Easy to ask for time-off. Compensation is competitive.

Cons

Company is evolving and trying to improve its processes, so once you start getting used to something, it might change. Nice tho, because at first process was lacking

Classic Development Sweatshop

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SquareTrade full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Some very nice and helpful people
    - Excellent QA staff
    - Bright, up-and-coming marketing staff
    - Some free snacks and continental breakfasts
    - Reasonable pay
    - Nice, newly remodeled offices
    - Closest thing I've seen to pure Agile development
    - Slowly starting to make headway with brand recognition

Cons

- Some of the technology leaders have little-to-no experience outside of SquareTrade and are typically not open to new ideas
    - Very inconsistent work/life balance across development teams (Some development teams would have a reasonable workload, while others would be worked to death and expected to constantly work overtime.)
    - Antiquated underlying architecture
    - A lot of social cliques (Reminds me of high school)
    - REALLY loud "collaborative work environment"
    - Developers are treated as second-class citizens
    - Knowing the internal workings of their claims process makes me feel kind of dirty working there.

I understand and admire your loyalty to the handful senior technology folks/decision makers who have been with you for a long time, but it's time to have them step aside (maybe go off and get new experiences elsewhere) so your business and technology can move on the the next level.

Management have no clue.

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SquareTrade full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The product itself and the mission of the company is great. Free snacks.

Cons

Some line managers are completely useless. Have less knowledge than the agents they supervise and as a result they only function as cracking the whip to make sure you stay on phones. Suggestions and bug issues will not be addressed. People who are promoted or hired into higher positions are those that can talk their way into it and often have to delegate everything. Often they just get in the way of the agents who are actually trying to help customers.

Have more performance and metrics reviews for supervisors themselves. I ask myself daily what the managers actually do around here or where they are. In fact have their own team review them if you really want to know what's going on.