SquareTwo Financial

Updated Feb 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Paul A. Larkins

Great people - great company!

I have been working at SquareTwo Financial full-time

ProsGreat people to work with on interesting projects - fun work environment! Very competitive pay! There's a great sense of community at the company.

ConsIT projects lack planning and structure which makes productivity slow and frustrating. Shortage of project managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementCIO - Ask your teams to document their processes! There needs to be a central repository for this documentation. There's often confusion in meetings due to a general lack of knowledge about how processes/applications work. Quite frequently application owners don't even understand the process flows of their own apps.

Great Place to Work

Denver, CO

I have been working at SquareTwo Financial as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGreat company culture driven by amazing Executive Team....Tons of opportunity for growth...Competitive salary...A place I enjoy coming to work at everyday....Smart and talented employee population....Leader in there respective space....Fun place to work with strong employee benefits...

ConsNo onsite cafeteria (But there are food trucks at least once every two weeks). They also provide fresh fruit every Wednesday for free to all employees

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop and continue to create opportunities for employees to grow and exceed their career goals.

Exciting company - open to innovation

Creative Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at SquareTwo Financial full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe senior leadership team is extremely transparent and there is very little politics or red tape to get things done. The company is headed in the right direction and it's easy to contribute to the success of the company.

ConsThere aren't any decent restaurants in walking distance.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to share openly with the employees.

STF=Small time firm

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SquareTwo Financial full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you are part of the "in crowd", your time there will be tolerable. There are a number of good people there. Dependent upon position, the pay can be good. However, unless you are single with no dependents (in which case your benefits are 100% covered) cost of insurance will make pay so-so.

ConsFor as much as the organization prides itself on its culture, culture-wise this was the absolute worst company I've ever worked for. Over the past couple of years, many long tenured and high performing employees went from top performers and great appraisals to the chopping block in a matter of months. In late 2011, the company began evaluating employees on subjective measures (the "how") and placing more emphasis on these measures than an employee's numerical performance. The company m.o. is to identify employees to be shed, place employees on boilerplate 90 day action plans (which many times contains false information), cite that the employees have made no improvement, and finally release employees. This happens to a high percentage of employees that are achieving or even exceeding goal. Career advancement is non existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you keep driving away your best and brightest, you'll run out of people to siphon ideas from to pass off as your own.

Nice people but hiring process tedious.

Collections (Former Employee)
Overland Park, KS

I worked at SquareTwo Financial full-time for less than a year

ProsConvenient location, small office and decent starting pay. Free lunch for the whole staff if the office makes its metrics. Work shift is Monday to Friday and no nights. Business to Business collections.

ConsUnattainable commission structure, Seems like the managers were contradicting one another when it came to training new associates. Some of the employees are kind of cold and I never felt welcomed. Some of the employees said they haven't received a commission since December. High delinquency Charged Off Accounts which makes it harder to make any kind of commission. Too much detail for skip tracing,

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany is based out of Denver, Colorado and it seems that a lot of politics in this local office is oblivious to those in the Rockies. Hire a few people to only do skip tracking and have the others focus on smiling and dialing,

Very Supportive

Manager (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at SquareTwo Financial full-time for less than a year

ProsThe culture is supportive, progressive and cohesive. Communication is a strong suit at SquareTwo, which is so unusual for corporate America. I have been pleased working at SquareTwo. People are friendly, welcoming and very encouraging. SquareTwo has an interest in your personal and professional development, offering courses and seminars for free onsite.

ConsNone that I can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing! Thank you for being honest, transparent and encouraging.

Theory X Management, micromanagement, mind games

Asset Recovery "Professional" (Current Employee)
Overland Park, KS

I have been working at SquareTwo Financial full-time for more than a year

ProsThe paychecks are still clearing at my bank and it's a job. Occasional doughnuts or some minor kudos, commonly referred to in collections as "reindeer games" break up the grind in low-walled cubicle land.

ConsI agree with other reviewers that there has been a fundamental shift in the company in the past year for the worse. There is a palpable air of desperation amongst management to squeeze the employees for productivity. Lots of blaming of the staff, while refusing any constructive criticism, finger pointing (top down) and half truths and deceptions displayed by management. I have seen better than 100% turnover in the past year, running about 50/50 between those who quit and those who got sacked over what could usually be traced to a personality conflict with upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou talk about a corporate culture in your waiting room reading material, how about walking the talk? Pick up a copy of Greenleaf's "Servant Leadership" , learn to actually lead, support your staff or at least leave them alone to do their job without the fretting paranoia that the size of their coffee cup will either necessitate more time at the coffee pot or more time at the bathroom. And yes, coffee cup size was actually brought to my attention by management as something being monitored.

Square Two started out as a good company but slowly went down hill.

N/A (Former Employee)

I worked at SquareTwo Financial full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe work is meaningful and necessary to healthy economy

ConsThey don't value their employees. They say they do, but it is only surface level. They want results but don' t enable their people to do so.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour actions don't match up with your words.

Corrupt upper level management at SquareTwo Financial offers a hostile work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SquareTwo Financial full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompany is growing significantly due to it is at the top of it's industry.

ConsSquareTwo Financial used to have a great culture where upper level management treated employees as well as their clients. There have been many positive changes in an effort to grow the company, however in the last 4 years many upper level management individuals have been added who unfortunately have a management style of bullying and creating a hostile work environment for employees who disagree with their corrupt tactics. Many seasoned and loyal employees have been forced out through either poor reveiws which are often dishonest or by asking employees to "resign" if they have no legal grounds to fire the employee in an effort to not tarnish the company's name and prevent employees from taking legal action against the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the employees who helped bring the company to success and remember that bullying your way to success only works for so long before it will eventually be the company's downfall. There may be that one employee that doesn't take the payoff to "resign" and sues the company for creating a hostile work environment and for unlawful termination.

Toxic Work Environment at SquareTwo Financial

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at SquareTwo Financial full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGrowing company, unique business model for distressed asset management industry.

ConsVery toxic and abusive work environment. Senior leadership practices bullying and abusive management tactics. Leaders encourage gossip and backbiting. Compensation models are manager subjective and maximum awards are never given even when goals are met and/or exceeded.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop bullying and abusive management style and culture, specifically in the Information Technology department.

Worked for SquareTwo Financial? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SquareTwo Financial reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SquareTwo Financial CEO Paul A. Larkins . All 14 reviews posted anonymously by SquareTwo Financial employees.