Squarespace

Squarespace Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Anthony Casalena

Love the Company, Hate the hours

ProsCompany knows how to take care of their employees. For Full-time employees the benefits are covered in full! A lot of great perks

Cons24 hours support means long late hours

A dream come true

Designer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsNo-bullshit type of culture that facilitates getting things done over everything else. Great opportunities to take on a lot of responsibility – if you've got what it takes, no job title or org chart will stop you from being successful. Fantastic benefits and the friendliest, smartest people I've ever worked with.

ConsIf you need a lot of guidance, you will be lost on a lot of teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Fresh Out of college? This might be for you

Customer Care (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsDecent pay for someone coming straight out of college.
    Stocked kitchens/daily lunch/unlimited drinks, etc.
    The ability to work from home whenever you wanted (not sure if they still do this)

Cons-High turn over
    -A ton of employees. You might get lost in the crowd.
    -Can get a bit stressful (but it's work, right?!)
    -To get a day off you have to find someone to take your shift (which most of the time did not happen)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you all are doing, but don't lose your way as the company becomes bigger & bigger. When I left the company started to take a big change (for the better). I started to see new faces in the office, and things became a little more chaotic. Keep the spirits of the employees up & I'm sure you all will continue to do great things in the future.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The image that Squarespace tries to portray as a company, and what it's actually like to work there, are very different.

Customer Care (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsOpportunity to move up quickly, if willing to sacrifice a work-life balance. A genuine "start-up" culture. Free lunches, stocked kitchen, etc.

ConsCompensation is menial for the amount of time that is required out of you. High turn over rate. To get any time off, you must get others to cover your shift, which is often hopeless.

The best place to work

ProsThe company really cares about your well being and your future. Also offers ridiculous compensation.

ConsToo many people working on projects. No one to really lead a team.

Advice to Senior ManagementProject Managers

a completely different picture than what was painted on their website.

Customer Care (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGenuine start-up culture. You had a free snacks, free meals, tons of free swag and the ability to work from home.

ConsYou were trained in this beautiful workspace but when you were taken to your actually workspace (around the corner) it was a rude awakening. There were not enough desks for the amount of people who worked there. The weekly meetings were pointless. The compensation was awful compared to the amount of the work your were asked to do. The training didn't set you up for success. If you wanted time off, you needed to find someone to cover your shift - holidays included. 60% of the staff were once Apple Retail Employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to start paying their Customer Care team members more. Instead of wasting people's time on Thursday's with weekly meetings, the team should start making this a productive time to learn best practices and understanding how their role has an impact instead of berated your team with negative feedback. Leadership needs to work on their condescending attitude, maybe your team would be more responsive during the weekly meetings.

A great, individual-driven start-up culture with none of the financial worries

Web Designer (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Working around amazing people that help you learn and grow and push you to new levels
    - Freedom to pursue what you are passionate about

Cons- The flat structure of the company can result in feeling lost for awhile until you figure out how things work

Squarespace a Great Place for Freelance Writers

Freelance Content Writer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey have offered me some Interesting assignments, and the rates they pay are excellent. Their guidelines are clear, and the work is relatively easy to complete.

ConsIts taking them a long time to approve the stories I've done so far, and I have no idea when I will be getting more.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know they are very busy, but a little heads up on whats going on in the company every now and then would be appreciated.

Thriving company with the best work environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThis company attracts the best talent, has an inspiring CEO, and great benefits. Free lunch, 401k, medical and life insurance, yoga membership, stock options, beautiful office, AMAZING events (boat trip, monthly happy hour, conferences, and fantastic hack weeks!) The best part about working here is not the work, but the people you meet - they only hire people with great personalities and it's hard to not feel at home here. You feel cared for and respected as an employee and you know they value you.

ConsThe work is not always fulfilling. Management can be unclear about the goals sometimes and also have difficulty communicating to the team so projects can take many directions without designated leaders to spearhead them. A lot of people can be worth separately on the same project without knowing someone is already solving the problem. Decisions aren't explained well and there are a lot of abrupt changes to the roadmap without clear explanation or context. A lot of projects are put on hold indefinitely or shut down without notice. Employees are on the young side so many don't have prior working experience though they do have a lot of energy and great ideas. The work can be repetitive after a while and the company isn't big enough for there to be switches between teams or promotions within. Generally employees come here, have a great experience and network with talented people, then peace out within a year for bigger opportunities elsewhere. Worthwhile nonetheless!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great benefits, great environment, but improve the way employees are managed and work is delegated.

Intern

ProsGreat work place fun people

ConsNothing i feel is bad i loved interning there

Worked for Squarespace? Contribute to the Community!