St. Alexius Medical Center

Andrew Wilson

Good place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at St. Alexius Medical Center as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Very supportive co-workers. Everyone was competent at their jobs and cared about the patients. Had good, newer technology machines that are not cheap.

Cons

Cost cutting after recent merger/buy-out had negative effect on moral. Hours were reduced to save money. Some people were let go without much notice. Understandable, but still had everyone nervous about their jobs.

Remember it's about more than the bottom line.

Phlebotomist

Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Bismarck, ND
    Former Employee - Phlebotomist in Bismarck, ND

I worked at St. Alexius Medical Center

Pros

Awesome Lab crew. Very fun,helpful,team players. Great benefits.

Cons

Scheduling, next schedule posted, at times, two days prior to end of current schedule, making it very challanging to make appointments.

Horrible place to work, very childish coworkers, I felt like I wwas back in high school with all the drama.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at St. Alexius Medical Center part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities to get more hours

Cons

The team was horrible and nasty. They all gained up on new people and bragged about getting them fired. Also the entry rate of pay is 11$$. Which is less than what other positions make. The transporter makes more than PCTs

Dont show favorites towards people.

The most satisfying work experience of my 35 years in health care.

Current Employee - Facilitator in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Facilitator in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at St. Alexius Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They have a very strong employee wellness program and employee satisfaction is very important to the organization.

Cons

As the merger with Ascension and other partnerships with area hospitals has taken place, there are more layers when when requiring services and help from the IT department.

The constant changes that are taking place with the organization are very challenging for all.

St. Alexius has been very good to me.

I have been working at St. Alexius Medical Center full-time

Pros

Courteous friendly atmosphere truely concerned about the patient experience.

Cons

Concerned about the future with CHI

Exactly what you would expect from a warehouse job.

Former Employee - Materials Handler in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Materials Handler in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at St. Alexius Medical Center as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Team leaders were very flexible. If hired as a resource employee, benefits are not offered. However, opportunities for being hired part time or full time are available, then benefits are offered. Since this is a hospital, there are no holidays off, but holiday pay is given to make up for it.

Cons

Working in a hospital. Always open, never closes.

None.

PCT

Former Employee - PCT Part Time But Worked Over Time in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - PCT Part Time But Worked Over Time in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at St. Alexius Medical Center part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The doctors that came were amazing!

Cons

Just cause a person asked for pain meds doesn't make them a junkie.

Also not high school playing favorites is inappropriate.

false promises, poor judgement, rude coworkers

Former Employee - Department Secretaray in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Department Secretaray in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at St. Alexius Medical Center part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice if you're a student
    helping people have a better day then they've been having

Cons

training, benefits, compensation, taxes, consideration, management, communication

When I first started in 2007, Ed Goldberg was the CEO of the company. Everyone was so friendly and they treated their staff with the highest respect while still teaching significant values that we can use daily to interact with each other and our patients. We were recognized more from 2007-2012 when I was there than the last two years 2013-2014 when the new CEO stepped up and it was announced that Ascension Health would be taking over. Since than, not only has the patient volume gone significantly lower because of Obamacare...but the overall company moral has gone low. Everyday I would either a 4-1 ratio of complaints from older and newer patients then the sattisfaction we used to receive. I used to love my job, my hours, the people. the money, even getting 2 raises in the last 5 years it has gotten worse. Management either doesn't listen nor cares when it comes to the "lending an ear at any time" act. My supervisor, amongst quite a few ranging from ER to outpatient to Surgery, are unprofessional and rude to their employees when it comes to their work or schedules. She would favortize certain employees becae use of their status meaning ( if your uncle was a security guard you wouldn't stop hearing about how you called in sick with the flu) vs if yourmom was the secretary to the CEO and you went out of your busy way to gossip, she would either give you a job or lend an ear to that then deal with conflict and real problems. Everyday I started dreading work and nagging even though me amongst small but a few amount of my peers would tell me the same problems they were facing. Everyone chooses to look past these things, WHy? no idea, Even though you're dedicated, rather then helping the ones who need it most and squashing rivalries. I've never dealt with such a high unnessecary amount of drama and unorganized people in alll my jobs. Hopefully in the future the hard working employees and supervisors will get a reward other then just once a year bonus. I was hired resource, promised part time if available (resource is extra pay no benefits) for 6 years... it was given to a new employee that just started, I was promised cross training with extra hours, it was promised to anew employee that lives on her phone and does't know half the training she was given or cares after the former trainer left. There is diversity, favortism, and deaf ears in this place, and I wouldn't recommend hard worrkers to work here.

Working at St. Alexius Medical Center gave me many opportunities and the training to do these job to the best of m y abi

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at St. Alexius Medical Center part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Always offered training when expected to do another position, kindness of management, willing to adjust schedule if necessary, employees were willing to help and be team players.

Cons

None comes to mind. I am still called on a limited basis to work some marketing events in the community as well in the hospital to promote the hospital presence in the community

i have friends who were discharged from their job without or very little warning and think that is unfair to the emplopyee.

Kind, caring people..good work environment!

Former Employee - CNA/Clerk in Bismarck, ND
    Former Employee - CNA/Clerk in Bismarck, ND

I worked at St. Alexius Medical Center

Pros

Good pay, very friendly people for the most part

Cons

Some doctors talk down to nurses/CNA's.