St Charles Health Systems Reviews

2.9
CEO

1. Health information management

I have been working at St Charles Health Systems

Pros

Good benefits good pay good ETO pension plan

Cons

Impersonal HR approves or denies everything, not up to the supervisors

2. Great team

Current Employee - Therapist
    Current Employee - Therapist

I have been working at St Charles Health Systems

Pros

Coworkers are great and the patient population is dynamic.

Cons

Can be stressful as days tend to be very busy.

3. great place, lots going on!

Former Employee - Recruiter in Bend, OR
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Bend, OR

I worked at St Charles Health Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

dynamic people and energizing situation

Cons

very chaotic and difficult to stay focused

5. They used to care for employees, not it is the bottom line.

Current Employee - Varies in Bend, OR
    Current Employee - Varies in Bend, OR

I have been working at St Charles Health Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They have been written up in several magazines for innovation.
    Diverse job roles.
    Largest employer in Central Oregon.
    As the realtors say, location location location.
    Good pay depending on your job.
    Most of the doctors are great to work with.

Cons

Understaffed in the wrong areas.
    Diverse job roles because you usually are doing the work of 2-3 people.
    They hire based on degrees. A lot of employees with masters degrees but no real skills.
    No moving up unless you know the right people. I cannot overstate this enough.
    Most manager WILL NOT rock the boat. They are too worried about their own jobs.
    You never know what direction the company is going to go and who is going to be let go because of it.
    The reason I would not recommend to a friend is because jobs are being cut all the time. Doesn't matter who you are or how competent you are in your job. If the upper management has to make cuts, they make sure to keep their friends.
    Most nurses are burnt out at the end of a 12-hour shift.

Stop the 12-hour shifts. Hire more "worker bees". Advance from the inside. You might be surprised by the results!

Horrible leadership drives once thriving business to the brink of destruction.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bend, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bend, OR

I have been working at St Charles Health Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Caring and dedicated staff. Beautiful location. No competition to speak of. Once was one of the best places in Oregon to work.

Cons

Very little leadership at any level. C level staff in constant turf wars. No long term plans for the future.

Work together on a common set of goals and clearly articulate a vision to your team.

7. Poor culture

I have been working at St Charles Health Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Staff care about the community.

Cons

Leadership is in flux and most worry about their jobs while waiting for a new CEO.

Department Coordinator

Former Employee - Department Coordinator in Bend, OR
    Former Employee - Department Coordinator in Bend, OR

I worked at St Charles Health Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I love the Nurses and CNAs I work with. There is more flexibility working as an administrative person in the hospital setting and you are able to work with intelligent, clinically-minded people who really want to care for those who aren't well and want to make the world a better place once patient at a time.

Cons

Personally, I had to make the very difficult decision to leave this position after 10 years in a town where jobs are extremely scarce. After years of being an administrative assistant I was given the title of Department Coordinator along with more responsibility and many more duties (as to be expected with this kind of change.) What wasn't expected was an absolute 0 salary adjustment to go with that title and added job increase. When questioning my Manager about it I was told they just didn't have any more money in the budget to add to my position and that I needed to do the best I could with the added responsibilities. After years of working beyond what I can with this job and really, no value or appreciation and little recognition despite stellar annual evaluations, I feel the only action I can do is to leave. I am overly sad by this and will miss all of my co-workers. I feel there is something inherently wrong with an organization and especially a department like mine (we've lost 25% of our employees this year) when good employees leave like this. I don't want to leave, but sometimes and in this case, actions are louder than words. I hope care continues to be good at St.Charles Bend, but I may not be able to stay to find out as the job market in this town beyond the hospital is so grim.

9. Once a wonderful place to work, now feels like a simple money making operation

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Bend, OR
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Bend, OR

I have been working at St Charles Health Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The staff is great. The hospital has incorporated an electronic medical records system and has Pyxis machines for pharmacuticals. As the only hospital in town, it is hard not to recommend it as a place to work.

Cons

Senior Management recently seems to have shifted their focus to being driven only by profit, without real concern for patients or staff.

Happy staff means happy patients.

10. Transitional

I worked at St Charles Health Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Largest employer in CO, vairety of jobs within organization

Cons

Slow to move on projects

Spend time with your people